🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 93
Author Topic: 🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0  (Read 149906 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: January 24, 2021, 03:39:34 PM »

So far, Marcelo is leading in every single municipality in the country.

I assume it won't last - I can't imagine he will end up winning the most blood red Alentejo towns.
So far, Marcelo has won the PCP bastion of Avis. It's the first time ever a PCP candidacy, or supported by, loses that municipality.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #926 on: January 24, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »

I assume it won't last - I can't imagine he will end up winning the most blood red Alentejo towns.
So far, Marcelo has won the PCP bastion of Avis. It's the first time ever a PCP candidacy, or supported by, loses that municipality.

Not a good sign for the far-left (and for my own prediction).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #927 on: January 24, 2021, 03:48:45 PM »

Pundits are basically saying that, overall there are 2 winners tonight: Marcelo and António Costa. President Marcelo because he's reelected easily, and Costa because he's seeing the far-left crumbling, and the far-right and liberals growing which is hurting the PSD.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #928 on: January 24, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »

Results so far: 81% of parishes counted (the big urban areas are still out)

63.8% Marcelo
12.5% Ventura
10.4% Gomes
  3.6% Matias
  3.6% Ferreira
  3.6% Tino de Rans
  2.3% Tiago Mayan
crals

« Reply #929 on: January 24, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »

Seems Marisa will stay 4th after all. The growth of the far-right is hurting the communists.
njwes
United States

« Reply #930 on: January 24, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »

Very interesting to see that they have a portrait of the candidate on the ballot! It'd be fascinating to see if there have been any studies done on what effect that might have--e.g., if candidates with conventionally attractive portraits do better than polling would indicate, or vice-versa, or if "standing out" marginally increases vote share.

Like, as the only woman in a ballot full of men and the only candidate who could reasonably be described as approaching hot, I'd have to think dos Santos Matias gets at least a bit of a boost.
She may look a bit manly, but Ana Gomes is a woman too Tongue

Ah oops, I didn't mean any disrespect to her! I just didn't click through to the twitter post with the ballot, and so didn't see her. I actually think she got a good portrait.

Also I'll revise my earlier sentiment re: attractiveness--seeing the entire ballot now, I'll rank João Ferreira along with Marisa Matias in the coveted "borderline-hot-for-a-politician" category  Angel
crals

« Reply #931 on: January 24, 2021, 03:58:10 PM »

Interestingly Marcelo is below 50% in the expat vote. AG, AV, MM and especially Tiago Mayan overperforming in the diaspora.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #932 on: January 24, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »

Seems Marisa will stay 4th after all. The growth of the far-right is hurting the communists.
Yeah, it seems that, but lets wait for Mayan's results. I expect him to do very well in the urban areas.
crals

« Reply #933 on: January 24, 2021, 03:59:11 PM »

Very interesting to see that they have a portrait of the candidate on the ballot! It'd be fascinating to see if there have been any studies done on what effect that might have--e.g., if candidates with conventionally attractive portraits do better than polling would indicate, or vice-versa, or if "standing out" marginally increases vote share.

Like, as the only woman in a ballot full of men and the only candidate who could reasonably be described as approaching hot, I'd have to think dos Santos Matias gets at least a bit of a boost.
She may look a bit manly, but Ana Gomes is a woman too Tongue

Ah oops, I didn't mean any disrespect to her! I just didn't click through to the twitter post with the ballot, and so didn't see her. I actually think she got a good portrait.

Also I'll revise my earlier sentiment re: attractiveness--seeing the entire ballot now, I'll rank João Ferreira along with Marisa Matias in the coveted "borderline-hot-for-a-politician" category  Angel

I know, I just couldn't resist making that joke
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #934 on: January 24, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »

Well, this is historic. Beja just finished counting and Ventura polled ahead of João Ferreira.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #935 on: January 24, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »

Also, my hometown, Póvoa de Varzim, finished counting:

60.2% Marcelo
13.1% Gomes
12.8% Ventura
  4.2% Tiago Mayan
  3.5% Tino de Rans
  3.3% Matias
  2.8% Ferreira

42.9% Turnout
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #936 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:56 PM »

Well, this is historic. Beja just finished counting and Ventura polled ahead of João Ferreira.

Beja the city or the district?

In any case, RIP. That is historic, and it hurts my soul a bit.

Waiting for Jornal de Notícias articles about PCP - Ventura voters in rural Alentejo diners Tongue
njwes
United States

« Reply #937 on: January 24, 2021, 04:17:25 PM »

>20% in Portalegre for Ventura is pretty high!
Rikschard
Rookie
« Reply #938 on: January 24, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »

Interestingly, João Ferreira didn't lose that much, it was 15,6 in 2016 and now 15,0.
The same thing is happened in Portalegre: right now Ventura gained 20% while Ferreira actually improved from 7,1 to 7,3.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #939 on: January 24, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »

Pundits are basically saying that, overall there are 2 winners tonight: Marcelo and António Costa. President Marcelo because he's reelected easily, and Costa because he's seeing the far-left crumbling, and the far-right and liberals growing which is hurting the PSD.

I think we need to put an end to this idea that the growth of the far right is Actually Good for the center left. What center-left governments or parties in Europe have benefited politically from the rise of the far right? Not Labour, not the PS in France, not really the SPD or the Greens, and it doesn't look like the PSOE has either. Their victories (and Costa's) came before the far-right really sprang up in their countries.
crals

« Reply #940 on: January 24, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »

I think we need to put an end to this idea that the growth of the far right is Actually Good for the center left. What center-left governments or parties in Europe have benefited politically from the rise of the far right? Not Labour, not the PS in France, not really the SPD or the Greens, and it doesn't look like the PSOE has either. Their victories (and Costa's) came before the far-right really sprang up in their countries.
I agree, and this election shows that many of the people who are currently voting for the left in Portugal are not necessarily leftists or loyal to the left.

It might benefit the far-left in the long run, however.
crals

« Reply #941 on: January 24, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »

Ana Gomes now in 2nd. We can sleep in peace.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #942 on: January 24, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »

Ana Gomes now in 2nd. We can sleep in peace.
It's still very close between the two, but there's still a lot out from Lisbon. Also, Matias is now 4th.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #943 on: January 24, 2021, 05:07:07 PM »

PSOE definitely has benefited somewhat from the rise of Vox, at least for now. Though of course the event they really benefited from was less so the rise of Vox (though it did make for a useful rallying cry for them) and more so the utter collapse of Podemos as well as the division in 3 of the Spanish right, which gets heavily penalized by Spain's electoral system

Similarly, the main event PSOE has been hurt by in recent times was the rise of Podemos; and much of their traditional base in Catalonia going secessionist and changing their vote to Podemos first and ERC later. There is a reason why Barcelona is one of only 2 provinces that have never voted for a right of centre party, not even in 2011.

Then again current Spanish polling thinks that while PSOE would still win a plurality, it would be nearly impossible for them to make a government (PP-Vox-Cs polling around 165-170 seats, with 176 needed for a majority)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #944 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »

The idea about the "Costa victory" theory is that with the left crumbling and that left vote going to the PS, and with the far-right hurting the center-right, PSD and CDS, Costa becomes the only centrism/moderate alternative and the PS becomes the dominant force. Of course, a long PS span isn't going to end well, and like you said just look at the french PS.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »

Results at the moment: 35 parishes to count, all of them urban

61.3% Marcelo
12.5% Gomes
11.9% Ventura
  4.2% Ferreira
  3.9% Matias
  3.1% Tino de Rans
  3.1% Tiago Mayan

38.6% Turnout
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2021, 05:35:32 PM »

Tiago Mayan has surpassed Tino de Rans.

Ana Gomes gap over Ventura continues to grow.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #947 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:23 PM »

Pundits are also trashing Rui Rio's speech, saying he's not seeing the writing on the wall regarding what's happening on the right.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #948 on: January 24, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »

Marcelo just surpassed his 2016 totals: 2,433,000 vs 2,414,000.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #949 on: January 24, 2021, 06:03:58 PM »

Funny thing: President Marcelo is driving his own car to his victory speech location.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies