Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 06:13:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78733 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 27, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »

Adjourned for the evening
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #851 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:17 PM »

Alan Dershowitz just KILLED the Democrats case in one sentence.

A Quid Pro Pro is (even if there is one) is not an impeachable offense. Period!

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

You couldn't read the Constitution, lousy Adam!

Dershowitz also said fish can't swim and the moon is flat. GAME OVER.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #852 on: January 27, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »

What Dershowitz did masterfully TONIGHT is reassuring "On the fence sitting GOP Senators" that you don't need to call anymore witnesses. He single handily patched up the bombshell from the New York Times. The end of this Day couldn't have gone any better for the Presidents Legal Team. I even call the person who made that call to let Dershowitz speak last a stroke of genius because it was.

This was all about reassuring the likes of Alexander, Murkowski, etc. who might have wavered in the aftermath of that Bolton Manuscript.

This is a big deal here. For Democrats who had hoped to shake these GOP Senators because of Bolton Dershowitz took the oxygen out of it. I think what he said might very have some legs within the GOP Senate Caucus.

Collins & Romney were going to vote YES on witnesses anyways. It's about Murkowski, Alexander, Gardner, McSally, etc.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #853 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

Article. II.

Section. 4.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

GAME OVER USER 2016

You couldn't read the Constitution, lousy user 2016!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #854 on: January 27, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »

I'm surprised 2016 hasn't been barred from this thread yet.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #855 on: January 27, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »

Alan Dershowitz just KILLED the prosecution's case in one sentence.

DNA evidence is (even if there is some) is not conclusive. Period!

GAME OVER MS. CLARK

You couldn't read a science book, lousy Marcia!
Junior Chimp

« Reply #856 on: January 27, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »

Really? I think you should be ashamed of yourself for wanting a duly elected President removed from Office and essentially nullify two Elections, the 2016 one and 2020 as well. You should be barred from this Thread.

If you can't take some HEAT get out of the kitchen. Republicans had to take the heat for 12 weeks before we could say anything.

But typical Democrats like you get on the attack when getting called out.

This Atlas isn't just a Democratic Propaganda Site. If you want to Dems only go to DailyKos.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #857 on: January 27, 2020, 10:09:41 PM »

Really? I think you should be ashamed of yourself for wanting a duly elected President removed from Office and essentially nullify two Elections, the 2016 one and 2020 as well. You should be barred from this Thread.

If you can't take some HEAT get out of the kitchen. Republicans had to take the heat for 12 weeks before we could say anything.

This Atlas isn't just a Democratic Propaganda Site. If you want to Dems only go to DailyKos.

You mean the "duly elected President" who violated his oath of office.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #858 on: January 27, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

Last I knew, extortion is a felony crime good for a long prison term. A quid pro quo is a crime if one is dealing what is not one's to deal or if one demands in bad faith what the other person cannot legitimately give.

I could also treat the deal as wire fraud. Of course, wire fraud does not exist in the Constitution either for the simple fact that there were no telegraphs or other wire communications in the US in the eighteenth century.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #859 on: January 27, 2020, 10:21:18 PM »

essentially nullify two Elections, the 2016 one and 2020 as well.

*sigh*

Making Pence the president doesn't nullify 2016. Hillary Clinton does not become president.

Making a President Pence the presumptive nominee doesn't nullify 2020.

Stop making arguments you must know to be asinine.

*sigh*

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #860 on: January 27, 2020, 10:32:35 PM »

I'm not mincing any words here. Donald Trump is a horrible person, monstrously cruel and corrupt. Enough people wanted him in the right places, and that is how we get our Presidents. Impeachment is not as neat and decisive a practice as a parliamentary vote of no confidence. Well, when we have a good President like Obama and an awful Congress we prove the merits of a Presidential system, and when we get a dreadful President and a good Congress we prove the merits of a parliamentary system. Our Founding Fathers disliked the British parliament for its rotten boroughs in which the King could establish flunkies in his service.

What Trump did would be inexcusable if a Democrat did it. Republicans who excuse Trump this time excuse such for a Democrat some time from now when the damage might be even greater -- should Trump have weakened our institutions.

We are stuck with the results of the 2016 Presidential election. Except for the House of Representatives we live in about as pure a plutocracy as there is -- the only more blatant plutocracies are those in which some royal family has ownership of the oil rights in countries in which oil extraction dominates the economy. Trump is a consequence of the Tea Party trend in America.

We cannot impeach the President for unpopularity or provable incompetence -- not for a military disaster or an economic meltdown. We are stuck with scheduled elections, and those can come with agonizing waits. That is how it was with Hoover (for very different reasons) and that is how it is with Trump.

If we impeach and remove Trump, then we get stuck with Mike Pence. Nancy Pelosi? The Republicans would find someone else should Mike Pence be impeached -- certainly someone who believes that no human suffering can ever be in excess so long as it turns, enhances, indulges, or enforces a profit.  

It is up to Republicans to decide that "right" and "wrong" are valid concepts in politics as they are in our personal lives. As it goes, I expect President Trump to be defeated in November 2020 if he is not removed from office. The more that I see of Republicans to deny objective truth strictly for partisan advantage the more I see their credibility erode.      
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2020, 10:45:16 PM »

Just popping in to remind everything that nothing still matters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #862 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:26 PM »

Toomey offered an 11th he witness compromise, to get Biden to testify in exchange for Bolten.  The impeachment is done next week
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #863 on: January 28, 2020, 12:54:21 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2020, 12:58:17 AM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

An interesting take from an average citizen you would have assumed was a Trump supporter judging from his appearance:

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #864 on: January 28, 2020, 06:09:04 AM »

The more Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann talk about Hunter Biden, the uglier this gets for Joe Biden's campaign.

If we get witnesses, the murky world of Hunter, and hence Joe Biden, will be laid bare.

Derschowitz could sneeze and you would say it was devastating for the Democrats.

Here you have CNN's Jeffrey Toobin saying Bondi "did an effective job" explaining the Bidens corruption.

They have a majority in the Senate. They can do whatever they want, the Dems have no way to stop it. If they want to call Hunter Biden + John Bolton to testify, they can do that and there is nothing the Dems can do to stop them. They don't need any assistance from the Dems to do so, they have the majority and can do so regardless of whatever the Dems may or may not think about it.

So either let them do that, or let them not. But the idea that it depends on the Dems is absurd.

If the GOP wants to do it, they will, if they don't then they won't - it is entirely up to them.

Ehm.... As I said, they don't want any witnesses. Romney explains better than I do.

I am not saying it is going to happen, though.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #865 on: January 28, 2020, 06:42:33 AM »

The more Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann talk about Hunter Biden, the uglier this gets for Joe Biden's campaign.

If we get witnesses, the murky world of Hunter, and hence Joe Biden, will be laid bare.

Yeah! Look at this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-vice-president-biden-said-ukraine-should-increase-gas-production-then-his-son-got-a-job-with-a-ukrainian-gas-company/2019/07/21/f599f42c-86dd-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html
WaPo: As vice president, Biden said Ukraine should increase gas production. Then his son got a job with a Ukrainian gas company.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign
New Yorker: WILL HUNTER BIDEN JEOPARDIZE HIS FATHER’S CAMPAIGN?.
Joe Biden’s son is under scrutiny for his business dealings and tumultuous personal life

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/1221920841627242498

Trump should be impeached if he did NOT want to investigate this shady stuff (obvious corruption if you ask me)!

Re:this

Graham seems to agree with me on this one.

"If one can find a scintilla of evidence about Biden corruption in Ukraine, the House case falls apart."

Yes, one can!
Yes, it does!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #866 on: January 28, 2020, 08:10:12 AM »

Here I was thinking that Donald Trump was interested in getting dirt on Joe Biden.

Ironically, the Democrats have dug it up all by themselves thanks to having this evidenced splashed all over an Impeachment Trial.

Biden was getting cozy jobs for his uneducated son in the Ukraine when Jr knew nothing about Natural Gas or it's economic discovery, development or delivery.

Turns out Obama and Biden were slipperier than Trump this whole time.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #867 on: January 28, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »

Yeah! Look at this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-vice-president-biden-said-ukraine-should-increase-gas-production-then-his-son-got-a-job-with-a-ukrainian-gas-company/2019/07/21/f599f42c-86dd-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html
WaPo: As vice president, Biden said Ukraine should increase gas production. Then his son got a job with a Ukrainian gas company.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign
New Yorker: WILL HUNTER BIDEN JEOPARDIZE HIS FATHER’S CAMPAIGN?.
Joe Biden’s son is under scrutiny for his business dealings and tumultuous personal life

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/1221920841627242498

Trump should be impeached if he did NOT want to investigate this shady stuff (obvious corruption if you ask me)!

Re:this

Graham seems to agree with me on this one.

"If one can find a scintilla of evidence about Biden corruption in Ukraine, the House case falls apart."

Yes, one can!
Yes, it does!

Why specifically pursue the Bidens though?  Why is that the only corruption in Ukraine Trump cares about?   Also why is the public announcement so important and not the investigation itself?   Why have Trump's personal lawyer pursue the issue?   Why not involved the DOJ?   Why would Trump withhold the aid money without notifying Congress?   

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #868 on: January 28, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

I have a sort of morbid curiosity here. Is this just part of your troll act, or are you actually this stupid?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #869 on: January 28, 2020, 09:02:45 AM »

Here I was thinking that Donald Trump was interested in getting dirt on Joe Biden.

Ironically, the Democrats have dug it up all by themselves thanks to having this evidenced splashed all over an Impeachment Trial.

Biden was getting cozy jobs for his uneducated son in the Ukraine when Jr knew nothing about Natural Gas or it's economic discovery, development or delivery.

Boards of Directors usually have at least some members from outside the industry in order to prevent groupthink. Very ignorant argument.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #870 on: January 28, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »

Boards of Directors usually have at least some members from outside the industry in order to prevent groupthink. Very ignorant argument.

OK. I will grant you leave to present your argument instead.

What skills and experience does Hunter Biden possess which would be of benefit to a Ukrainian Gas Company owned by a crooked Oligarch?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #871 on: January 28, 2020, 09:24:03 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2020, 09:40:44 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

From 538/Ipsos:

January 17-20 -- 1,587 responses

"Is impeachment a bad use of Congress' time?"

All: 51% YES.......45% NO
Democrats:  24.6% YES
Republicans:  85.4% YES

Amongst those who answered YES:

"It distracts Congress from more important issues"......38.7%

"President Trump did not commit any impeachable offenses".......33.3%

"President Trump will not be removed by the Senate".......15.2%

"The 2020 election is soon"........12.2%

Amongst those who answered NO:

"It is the duty of Congress to investigate wrongdoing by the President"........55.3%

"Necessary response to impeachable offenses by President Trump".......31.7%

"Exposes important information about President Trump"........10.8%

"Might strengthen President Trump's chances at re-election".......1.4%
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #872 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »

Far be it from me to defend Hunter Biden, but if he's uneducated (BA from Georgetown, JD from Yale)  then President Trump is profoundly uneducated (BS from Penn).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #873 on: January 28, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »

This aged really well.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 78