Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:31:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 75419 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2020, 08:05:24 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2020, 08:05:59 PM »

I really wish he was part of the trial...
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #552 on: January 22, 2020, 08:23:33 PM »

Depends on how slow or fast the managers use their time, but if they take 3 days then Trump's defense gets Saturday to present their case which would get more views than the Democrats because more people would be able to watch on a weekend.

Other than sports, Saturday is one of the worst days for TV viewership.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #553 on: January 22, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #554 on: January 22, 2020, 08:36:16 PM »

Depends on how slow or fast the managers use their time, but if they take 3 days then Trump's defense gets Saturday to present their case which would get more views than the Democrats because more people would be able to watch on a weekend.

Yep,  main reason agencies do "Friday News Dumps" frequently with stuff they don't want the public to pay attention to.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2020, 08:36:54 PM »

There are TV shows other than sports on Saturdays?
Junior Chimp

« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »

So now the new defense line from senate R’s is to cry that Nadler’s comments hurt their feelings

Per CNN & Spokesperson for Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski "She was very offended" by Nadlers Comment.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski's spokesperson said the Alaska lawmaker was “offended” by House Impeachment manager Rep. Jerry Nadler’s comments at the trial that if senators didn’t support the need for witnesses in the impeachment trial, they were "voting for a cover-up."

“I took it as very offensive. As one who is listening attentively and working hard to get to a fair process, I was offended,” Murkowski said Wednesday, according to her aide Karina Borger.

Murkowski is a key swing GOP vote.

Another one of those missteps by Mr. Nadler and Murkowski might be gone for Democrats.

But then, what do you expect from Nadler considering he is a purely partisan hack.

Nadler, Schiff, Demings and Jeffries are acting often like spoiled brats.

The lone Impeachment Manager I genuinly like listening to is Jason Crow. While I don't like the case he is making against Trump the guy at least acts like you should act in the United States Senate.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #557 on: January 22, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »

So just walked in the door a few minutes ago from work and was expecting to see another 15+ additional pages of posts, but yet there was hardly any....

What new revelations have popped up, or highlight moments that might have impacted Senators or US public opinion?

Are there themes that are being accentuated from the House Managers that were previously raised Yesterday as lead-up to the votes, or interesting performances from the President's lawyers?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #558 on: January 22, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »

So now the new defense line from senate R’s is to cry that Nadler’s comments hurt their feelings

Per CNN & Spokesperson for Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski "She was very offended" by Nadlers Comment.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski's spokesperson said the Alaska lawmaker was “offended” by House Impeachment manager Rep. Jerry Nadler’s comments at the trial that if senators didn’t support the need for witnesses in the impeachment trial, they were "voting for a cover-up."

“I took it as very offensive. As one who is listening attentively and working hard to get to a fair process, I was offended,” Murkowski said Wednesday, according to her aide Karina Borger.

Another one of those missteps by Mr. Nadler and Murkowski might be gone for Democrats.

But then, what do you expect from Nadler considering he is a purely partisan hack.

The lone Impeachment Manager I genuinly like listening to is Jason Crow. While I don't like the case he is making against Trump the guy at least acts like you should act in the United States Senate.
God you guys are bad faith hacks
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #559 on: January 22, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »

You are a Russian bot.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »

Schiff: "Do you want the truth now or later?"

Cinemark

« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2020, 09:28:03 PM »

It has become readily apparent in the last few days that there is no chance any republican senator will break with McConnell. We'll probably see more comments from Murkowski, Romney and Collins about how upset they are with the process but thats just icing on an already baked cake.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:23 PM »

Jay Sekulow looks like somebody just ate his child.

He is right. Since when is Executive Priviledge utter nonsense!

It isn’t, but it’s like the 5th amendment, when you invoke it, you are most likely doing that to try and avoid your own sh!t hitting the fan.

And in this case it is bu!!$hit. There has to be a basis for the privilege other than "I dont wanna". Trump is trying to misuse it as if it is the equivalent of the 5th.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #563 on: January 22, 2020, 10:15:34 PM »

Here's how the votes are gonna go down in the history books
For impeachment (House): Democrats and an Independent
Against impeachment (House): Democrats and Republicans

For removal (Senate): Democrats and Independents
Against removal (Senate): Republicans

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #564 on: January 22, 2020, 11:09:49 PM »

You are a Russian bot.

Anyone who disagrees with you is a Russian bot? That's an unfair characterization, and one made too often on these boards. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Nadler went over the line with what he said. If Murkowski-who is one of only three Senate Republicans (Collins and Romney being the others), with which there is a greater than zero probability that they might vote to convict Trump-was upset by what he said, then you know it didn't go well with Collins or Romney, and certainly not with the rest of the Republican caucus. He only reinforced their conviction to acquit Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2020, 02:47:41 AM »

You are a Russian bot.

Anyone who disagrees with you is a Russian bot? That's an unfair characterization, and one made too often on these boards. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Nadler went over the line with what he said. If Murkowski-who is one of only three Senate Republicans (Collins and Romney being the others), with which there is a greater than zero probability that they might vote to convict Trump-was upset by what he said, then you know it didn't go well with Collins or Romney, and certainly not with the rest of the Republican caucus. He only reinforced their conviction to acquit Trump.

It's a foregone conclusion that Murkowski is going to vote as part of the McConnell bloc.  She will block all testimony, block all witnesses, block all evidence, block all subpoenas, vote to acquit, and try to stay as far out of the spotlight as possible.

Nobody wants to be the one senator who breaks ranks.

Her spokesperson putting out whiny statements like this is just a lame attempt to build the case for her being a partisan hack.  As if voting to block key witnesses from testifying in a criminal trial for no good reason is anything but a cover-up attempt.

And I say this as someone who has a lot of respect for Murkowski.   At the end of the day, Trump has a knife to her throat, and she'll cave like the rest of the Republicans.  The only way they can overcome this menace is to unite... get 20 of them together and agree that enough is enough... but there are too many spineless cowards in the party to make that possible.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »

It has become readily apparent in the last few days that there is no chance any republican senator will break with McConnell. We'll probably see more comments from Murkowski, Romney and Collins about how upset they are with the process but thats just icing on an already baked cake.

THIS. That's why it's laughable and such bad faith that pundits on the networks (esp CNN) keep pushing the "Well what are you doing to get Republicans on board? Are the Dems making enough of a case?!!!" as if it was ever going to happen in the first place
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #567 on: January 23, 2020, 09:10:39 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #568 on: January 23, 2020, 09:35:48 AM »

The polls keep moving in the wrong direction for Trump:

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #569 on: January 23, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »

That is literally all lies

The big problem is not that we have a big liar, someone who has learned well what Hitler said of the Big Lie. The problem is that so many people are gullible, that they have no tests for truth, and that many accept flagrant lies because such soothes them.

Objective reality can be unspeakably unpleasant (with the Stage 4 lung cancer that you have, you have only three months in which to live), but what else does one have? Maybe in three months one might be able to tie up some loose ends in life.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2020, 10:17:33 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2020, 10:22:20 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Look, while I totally get the long hours and appreciate that this is a massive shift from Senate business-as-usual, the fact that almost a quarter of the Senators in attendance (both Democrats and Republicans) were reportedly either walking in and out of the proceedings, doing crosswords, etc. etc. is absolutely ridiculous.  

Again, I understand stretching your legs, bathroom breaks, or getting some water.  And it's not the most mentally-stimulating material.  But if you're not willing to perform an official duty of the Senate -- no matter how uncommon a duty that may be, then don't run for the Senate.

You don't have to agree with what's being said.  But ffs, at least pretend to care.    

Feel like I'm a college professor chewing out my class here lol.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2020, 10:26:22 AM »

Wait, nearly 20% of Republicans now support the conviction and removal of Donald Trump?   Shocked

We're getting there... 
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »

How are those Dems #’s possible? It adds up to 102.9 🤔
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »

Alternative maths.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2020, 11:30:32 AM »

"Table shows responses to two different questions, so answers should not add up to 100 percent."
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies