Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78280 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »

Pointless, though.

Even if the manuscript says Trump is a Russian asset, it doesn’t make it necessarily true.

Who cares what this manuscript says lol
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »

Pointless, though.

Even if the manuscript says Trump is a Russian asset, it doesn’t make it necessarily true.

Exactly. We need the Senate to call Bolton to testify under oath.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #877 on: January 28, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »

Here I was thinking that Donald Trump was interested in getting dirt on Joe Biden.

Ironically, the Democrats have dug it up all by themselves thanks to having this evidenced splashed all over an Impeachment Trial.

Biden was getting cozy jobs for his uneducated son in the Ukraine when Jr knew nothing about Natural Gas or it's economic discovery, development or delivery.

Turns out Obama and Biden were slipperier than Trump this whole time.

Boards of Directors usually have at least some members from outside the industry in order to prevent groupthink. Very ignorant argument.

OK. I will grant you leave to present your argument instead.

What skills and experience does Hunter Biden possess which would be of benefit to a Ukrainian Gas Company owned by a crooked Oligarch?
Business skills and business experience. Boards of major corporations are often silly. Or do you think Condoleeza Rice is on the board of directors of Dropbox because of her tech savvy?

Btw, absolutely no one is arguing that Hunter Biden hasn’t lived a very privileged life in part because of his last name. Has he probably gotten business opportunities that other people wouldn’t have gotten because people know who his dad is? Probably! Is that evidence that Joe Biden himself has intervened to get his son cushy jobs? Of course not! Why would he need to?

Better question: if Trump was really sincerely concerned about finding out if there was anything shady going on with Biden’s business dealings, then why was Trump so focused on getting the announcement of the investigation up front? If you actually want to conduct a meaningful investigation of a corrupt businessman, shouldn’t you do the investigation first rather than holding a press conference so that your target knows to go ahead and start shredding documents? Hmmm... it’s almost as if the announcememt of an investigation was more immediately valuable to Trump than anything that would have resulted from the investigation.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #878 on: January 28, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »

Pointless, though.

It would take the pressure off the "moderates".
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #879 on: January 28, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »

Here I was thinking that Donald Trump was interested in getting dirt on Joe Biden.

Ironically, the Democrats have dug it up all by themselves thanks to having this evidenced splashed all over an Impeachment Trial.

Biden was getting cozy jobs for his uneducated son in the Ukraine when Jr knew nothing about Natural Gas or it's economic discovery, development or delivery.

Boards of Directors usually have at least some members from outside the industry in order to prevent groupthink. Very ignorant argument.

What skills and experience does Hunter Biden possess which would be of benefit to a Ukrainian Gas Company owned by a crooked Oligarch?
Business skills and business experience. Boards of major corporations are often silly. Or do you think Condoleeza Rice is on the board of directors of Dropbox because of her tech savvy?

Btw, absolutely no one is arguing that Hunter Biden hasn’t lived a very privileged life in part because of his last name. Has he probably gotten business opportunities that other people wouldn’t have gotten because people know who his dad is? Probably! Is that evidence that Joe Biden himself has intervened to get his son cushy jobs? Of course not! Why would he need to?

Better question: if Trump was really sincerely concerned about finding out if there was anything shady going on with Biden’s business dealings, then why was Trump so focused on getting the announcement of the investigation up front? If you actually want to conduct a meaningful investigation of a corrupt businessman, shouldn’t you do the investigation first rather than holding a press conference so that your target knows to go ahead and start shredding documents? Hmmm... it’s almost as if the announcememt of an investigation was more immediately valuable to Trump than anything that would have resulted from the investigation.
Bingo and you’ll soon notice that Meclazine won’t address this point or other obvious points that undermine the idea that Trump had some legitimate corruption concern because he knows that isn’t true and that Trump is guilty but he doesn’t care. Quite frankly I don’t know why anyone here bothers trying to engage with Meclazine, 2016, or Russian Bear when it’s obvious they are not acting in good faith. They’re just partisan Trumpers who don’t care if he shot someone on 5th avenue so why even bother?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #880 on: January 28, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »

Lulz...looks like Kelly is now excommunicated from the Trump cult

Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #881 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:52 PM »

If the senators can review evidence secretly, can they have a final vote by secret ballot?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #882 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »

Yesterday I wrote to both Georgia senators via their web page requesting that they support calling witnesses (not expecting they'll actually do it, but I think it's good to let them know).  Got a form letter back from Perdue that says nothing about witnesses:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding impeachment proceedings. I always appreciate the opportunity to hear from my fellow Georgians.

On September 24, 2019, Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced that the House of Representatives would begin a formal impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump. According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, a President may be impeached if a majority of the House votes to impeach him and two-thirds of the Senate votes to convict him and remove him from office. Although the House officially impeached President Trump on December 18, 2019, his trial in the Senate is still ongoing.

So far, I have seen nothing that rises to the level of conviction and removal from office. I look forward to completing this process in a fair and open manner, unlike the one that took place in the House. Impeachment has always been a last resort in our Constitutional history, and Democrats are using this inquiry to distract from our work and obstruct the President’s agenda.

We need to be focused on pursuing legitimate solutions to the problems facing our country like funding the government on time, solving our debt crisis, fixing our immigration system, and coming together on common sense school safety legislation. None of this can get done while the Senate is consumed with this impeachment trial. Once the trial concludes, I look forward to working closely with my Senate colleagues to pass meaningful legislation that will solve the problems that brought me to Washington in the first place.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me with your concerns. Your thoughts are important to me, and I will keep them in mind moving forward.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #883 on: January 28, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

Just a darling performance.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #884 on: January 28, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

Can you change your screen name , as you are nothing like Mitt Romney on this issue and many others
Junior Chimp

« Reply #885 on: January 28, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »

Pointless, though.

This is what I expect if the Senate votes for witnesses and then votes to subpoena Bolton:

A) Trumps Legal Team agrees to a "Closed Door Senate Session" where Bolton can testify under Oath (I say possible but unlikely)

OR

B) President Trump directs his Legal Team to use his Executive Powers, Privilege, whatever you want to call it to block Bolton (That is highly likely meaning if that happens the Courts will decide it whether Bolton is called and that could take weeks if not months).

So the Question becomes: Do Senate Republicans really want to drag this out for weeks or even months? That's why I think all this Media Spinning is useless. It takes 67 Votes to convict the President and Senate Democrats are not even close meeting that threshold.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #886 on: January 28, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »

What about Nikki Haley serving on Boeing's Board? I assume her position has nothing to do with SC giving the company huge tax breaks in 2009 to open a 787 production line in Charleston when she was in the state government? Maybe we can partly hold her responsible for the decision making that led to the 737 MAX debacle?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #887 on: January 28, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

Yes the Special Olympics Legal dream team is killing it
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #888 on: January 28, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »

Joe Scarborough brilliantly destroys Trump lawyers defense in a few short minutes:

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #889 on: January 28, 2020, 03:20:28 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

We know that Trumpism breaks your moral spine.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #890 on: January 28, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »

Senate has adjourned for the day as the President's counsel yielded back the balance of their time.

Questioning by Senators to start tomorrow. LIVE WNN COVERAGE will be provided.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #891 on: January 28, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »

Junior Chimp

« Reply #892 on: January 28, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

CNN's Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin though makes a great Point though quote:"The President will be aquitted no matter what Bolton says if he has to testify".

That is my View as well. These endangered Senators in the Fall like McSally, Gardner, Ernst, Tillis and Collins can't afford to lose the Republican Base which is firmly behind the President.

So, this whole thing by Schiff & Schumer isn't about "Finding about the Truth" during the potential witness phase. This is all about so their respective Campaign Committees can run Ads saying "You aquitted the POTUS despite being guilty". That's what this is all about and that's not what it should be IMO.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #893 on: January 28, 2020, 04:24:13 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2020, 04:29:42 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Speaking on CNN, Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) stated that, in his view, the GOP has likely reached a consensus on voting down a motion for additional witnesses (though the vote will be close).
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #894 on: January 28, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

CNN's Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin though makes a great Point though quote:"The President will be aquitted no matter what Bolton says if he has to testify".

That is my View as well. These endangered Senators in the Fall like McSally, Gardner, Ernst, Tillis and Collins can't afford to lose the Republican Base which is firmly behind the President.

So, this whole thing by Schiff & Schumer isn't about "Finding about the Truth" during the potential witness phase. This is all about so their respective Campaign Committees can run Ads saying "You aquitted the POTUS despite being guilty". That's what this is all about and that's not what it should be IMO.

If Republicans are not willing to do their jobs and remove a president who have clearly voted the oath of office, Democrats can take their case directly to voters.

That's not "what it should be", but Republicans clearly forced Democrats' hands.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #895 on: January 28, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »

Manchin Yes for Witness, leaning Acquit though it sounds like
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #896 on: January 28, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/impeachment-trial-live-updates/2020/01/28/8fadd30e-41bd-11ea-aa6a-083d01b3ed18_story.html

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone began his final presentation with a video compilation showing several House managers and Senate Democrats criticizing the impeachment of President Bill Clinton in 1998.

In old C-SPAN footage, Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) said there should “never be a narrowly voted impeachment or an impeachment supported by one of our major political parties and opposed by the other.”

Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) said the Clinton impeachment would “damage the faith the American people have in this institution.”

“Future presidents will face election, then litigation, then impeachment,” she said.

Sens. Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) and Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) were shown making similar points as House representatives. Markey called the impeachment a “constitutional coup d’etat which will haunt this body and our country forever.”

The roundup ended with footage of Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) saying: “My fear is that when a Republican wins the White House, Democrats will demand payback.”

“You were right,” Cipollone said after the video ended, prompting laughter in the chamber. “But I’m sorry to say you were also prophetic. And I think I couldn’t say it better myself, so I won’t.”

I totally agree with Democrats on this one. Make Democrats Sane Again!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #897 on: January 28, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »

Manchin Yes for Witness, leaning Acquit though it sounds like

His just-now interview on FOX News was about as much as you'll ever hear Manchin falling in line with the rest of the Democrats.

He said that he wanted ALL of the evidence/documents and that the way Trump conducted himself (as well as the people he used in his foreign affairs agenda) was wrong (and actually used the word "wrong" instead of "I disagree with" or "questionable").

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #898 on: January 28, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

This goes along with the absolute crazy, absurd, god awful argument of "Well Republican Senators are all cultic fanatics loyal to Trump, so Trump will never be voted out of office...so wtf are Democrats even doing charging him in the first place???"

That would be like saying "Well the NYPD and NYDOJ are both horribly corrupt and evil, so what's the point of charging anyone with a crime?"

You charge someone with a crime because they did something wrong...you don't excuse them because the authorities are in with the criminals.   What kind of justice system would that be???
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #899 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »

Sekulow is killing it.

This goes along with the absolute crazy, absurd, god awful argument of "Well Republican Senators are all cultic fanatics loyal to Trump, so Trump will never be voted out of office...so wtf are Democrats even doing charging him in the first place???"

That would be like saying "Well the NYPD and NYDOJ are both horribly corrupt and evil, so what's the point of charging anyone with a crime?"

You charge someone with a crime because they did something wrong...you don't excuse them because the authorities are in with the criminals.   What kind of justice system would that be???

Exactly.

Republicans refusing to do their jobs doesn't mean that Democrat should also not do their jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies