Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 07:07:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78833 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: February 01, 2020, 12:07:58 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2020, 12:24:27 PM by Grand Mufti of Northern Virginia »

I was talking to my dad about this and he said you never were gonna get a fair impeachment trial when so much of the country still supports Trump . He said Nixon only went cause his approvals were in the 20s and dropping by the day .

Then he said it might not be the brave decision to do , or honorable but then he said it’s true in real life too when he said most people in general will not choose to uphold their principles over their careers and he said so of course the vast majority of politicians will be like that cause that’s how people are in general .

He said that’s unfortunate but that’s the way how the world works and he said the only way to get more honorable politicians is for polarization to reduce back to where it was till the early 90s. He said as long as you have almost 90% of voters who vote the same way in every federal election no matter what then nothing will change .

He basically said we the people deserve most of the blame for our politics today not the politicians and he said until we recognize that , things will only get worse

I pretty much agree 100%

Rupert Murdoch is nearly 90 years old -he hasn't that much longer to live.  What do you think will be the impact of his death on the conservative media (particularly Fox News) and by extension conservative politics, given we know that whichever of his sons takes over will be significantly more liberal than their father?  I think the popping of that Fox News alternate-reality media bubble that Republican voters live in should ratchet down the polarization quite a bit right there.

Even if some flee to One America News, or some other far right conservative news media, their viewership will be far smaller than Fox News, and therefore have much less impact on American democracy.    
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1501 on: February 01, 2020, 12:16:19 PM »

I was talking to my dad about this and he said you never were gonna get a fair impeachment trial when so much of the country still supports Trump . He said Nixon only went cause his approvals were in the 20s and dropping by the day .

Then he said it might not be the brave decision to do , or honorable but then he said it’s true in real life too when he said most people in general will not choose to uphold their principles over their careers and he said so of course the vast majority of politicians will be like that cause that’s how people are in general .

He said that’s unfortunate but that’s the way how the world works and he said the only way to get more honorable politicians is for polarization to reduce back to where it was till the early 90s. He said as long as you have almost 90% of voters who vote the same way in every federal election no matter what then nothing will change .

He basically said we the people deserve most of the blame for our politics today not the politicians and he said until we recognize that , things will only get worse

I pretty much agree 100%

I don't think that's 100% accurate, because a lot of Republicans are going to be in electoral trouble anyway in November for turning a blind eye to Trump's corruption.

BUT politicians find it way more embarrassing to lose in a primary than to lose in a general, so that's part of the calculus too. If they lose in a general election, that's too bad, but it happens to people in every election. Losing in a primary is a super rare humiliating event that they want to avoid at all costs.

So it's not so much about maintaining their careers (or else Gardner, McSally, and even Ernst and Tillis would be at least supporting witnesses if not fully on board with removal) but removing the chance of having a really embarrassing way to end their career. They would rather decrease the chance of losing in a primary even if it means increasing the chance of losing in a general election.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1502 on: February 01, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

Rupert Murdoch is nearly 90 years old -he hasn't that much longer to live.  What do you think will be the impact of his death on the conservative media (particularly Fox News) and by extension conservative politics, given we know that whichever of his sons takes over will be significantly more liberal than their father?  I think the popping of that Fox News alternate-reality media bubble that Republican voters live in should ratchet down the polarization quite a bit right there.

Even if some flee to One America News, or some other far right conservative news media, their viewership will be far smaller than Fox News, and therefore have much less impact on American democracy.    

I’m sorry but that’s just a liberal fairytale. Yes Murdoch’s sons are more liberal than him but then again Rupert is a a lot more liberal than Ailes was and see what difference that made. Rupert and his sons only care about money and as long as the Fox model makes them money they’ll tolerate it
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1503 on: February 01, 2020, 01:54:08 PM »

Trump administration reveals it's blocking dozens of emails about Ukraine aid freeze, including President's role
The Department of Justice revealed in a court filing late Friday that it has two dozen emails related to the President Donald Trump's involvement in the withholding of millions in security assistance to Ukraine -- a disclosure that came just hours after the Senate voted against subpoenaing additional documents and witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial, paving the way for his acquittal.

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #1504 on: February 01, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »

Trump administration reveals it's blocking dozens of emails about Ukraine aid freeze, including President's role
The Department of Justice revealed in a court filing late Friday that it has two dozen emails related to the President Donald Trump's involvement in the withholding of millions in security assistance to Ukraine -- a disclosure that came just hours after the Senate voted against subpoenaing additional documents and witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial, paving the way for his acquittal.

BUT WHAT ABOUT HER E-MAILS!!!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1505 on: February 01, 2020, 02:54:42 PM »

Collins, Tillis, Gardner and McSally will lose their seats over this and Dems can net the Senate
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1506 on: February 01, 2020, 03:21:35 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1507 on: February 01, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »

Of course all of this came out after the vote.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1508 on: February 01, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »

It wouldn't have made a difference. Nothing would have.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1509 on: February 01, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »

For real, we need to drop the pretense that any of Trump's corruption matters to Republicans.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1510 on: February 01, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »

For real, we need to drop the pretense that any of Trump's corruption matters to Republicans.

Everything needs to be revealed though.

Otherwise, when Republicans inevitably turn on Trump (and they will in the same way they turned on Bush 43), they won’t be able to fall back on the notion of somehow not knowing what was going on.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1511 on: February 01, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »

lol
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1512 on: February 01, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »

Don't worry, Pelosi is welcome to impeach him again.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1513 on: February 01, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »

Collins, Tillis, Gardner and McSally will lose their seats over this and Dems can net the Senate

I'm not that optimistic. Gardner is the only surefire loser of these four.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1514 on: February 01, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »

Gardner will, but he was going to go no matter what so now it is 52-48
Collins is tossup to tilt R but let's just give it to the Dem for the scenario 51-49
Tillis will win, NC will go for Trump again, (why would people support Trump and vote against Tillis) still 51-49
McSally is pure tossup for now, but let's just give it to the Dem for this scenario 50-50
You forgot about Jones though which will flip R, so at the end it is 51R-49D
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1515 on: February 01, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »

Gardner will, but he was going to go no matter what so now it is 52-48
Collins is tossup to tilt R but let's just give it to the Dem for the scenario 51-49
Tillis will win, NC will go for Trump again, (why would people support Trump and vote against Tillis) still 51-49
McSally is pure tossup for now, but let's just give it to the Dem for this scenario 50-50
You forgot about Jones though which will flip R, so at the end it is 51R-49D

I actually mostly agree. I am very bearish on Democratic chances in the Senate this year. Even if they win the White House, the Democrats probably won't be able to take the chamber back until 2028 at the earliest.

Someone please put this country out of its misery!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1516 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

That is a very good analysis.

Tell your Dad he is spot on. You only have to witness the bitterness and the fervent oppositional stalking of members of this forum to realise he has a strong case.

Some people react quite violently to Republican viewpoints. That is not the fault of Republican politicians.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1517 on: February 01, 2020, 09:37:07 PM »

What a morally deprived party. Though when your base is nothing but internet trolls and morons who couldn’t get a college degree I guess that’s the end result

Elitist nonsense like this, especially about how anyone who "can't" get a college degree is a moron, is exactly how we got Trump in the first place. Make sure to say that to your plumber the next time you need him or her to unclog your toilet or fix your plumbing. Going off somewhere to read some books for four years doesn't necessarily make you smarter or more valuable to society than those who don't.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1518 on: February 01, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1519 on: February 01, 2020, 10:05:46 PM »

What a morally deprived party. Though when your base is nothing but internet trolls and morons who couldn’t get a college degree I guess that’s the end result
You do realize that internet trolls love being called morons and idiots right? So if that is what your belief is about Trump supporters, it is only going to make them stronger.
This is why Fox News fails when they try to attack AOC.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1520 on: February 01, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »

This could have been the perfect opportunity for the Republican Party to quickly and constitutionally remove the albatross around their party's neck, and replace it with a new president who arguably better represents everything they (used to) stand for and stands a better chance of winning in November.  Oops!

I don't necessarily agree with the bold part. Pence is an ideal old-school fusionist Republican on paper but I doubt he could harness the atavistic Yeatsian energies that (barely) propelled Trump into office.

Also, removing your own President is not a good re-election strategy.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1521 on: February 01, 2020, 10:09:48 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

Tell your Dad he is spot on. You only have to witness the bitterness and the fervent oppositional stalking of members of this forum to realise he has a strong case.

Some people react quite violently to Republican viewpoints. That is not the fault of Republican politicians.
Bullcrap. OSR has Republican views but he isn’t called out like you because he 1) doesn’t have racist immigration views and 2) isn’t a massive troll who engages in bad faith arguments like you have throughout this thread
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1522 on: February 01, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

Bullcrap. OSR has Republican views but he isn’t called out like you because he 1) doesn’t have racist immigration views and 2) isn’t a massive troll who engages in bad faith arguments like you have throughout this thread

It's pretty rich that a guy who has a deliberately anti-white signature is lecturing people on racism.  Or is insulting white folks as a group OK around here.

Perhaps the mods will now moderate your signature.  If this were aimed at literally any other racial or ethnic group, it would be deleted by the mods by now, and rightly so.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1523 on: February 01, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

It's pretty rich that a guy who has a deliberately anti-white signature is lecturing people on racism.  Or is insulting white folks as a group OK around here.

Perhaps the mods will now moderate your signature.  If this were aimed at literally any other racial or ethnic group, it would be deleted by the mods by now, and rightly so.
Oh god stop making my avatar your new Grand Mufti whataboutism topic. Literally no one but you cares
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1524 on: February 01, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »

I pretty much agree 100%

Oh god stop making my avatar your new Grand Mufti whataboutism topic. Literally no one but you cares

So which is worse?  Your bigoted avatar or the toleration of it?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies