2020 Oregon Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21747 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: January 28, 2021, 01:32:03 AM »

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3727655,-121.5748073,149776m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hood River is west of the cascades as far as I can tell on Google Earth.

Nah, Hood River is in the Cascades' Eastern foothills. The eponymous river that flows through it drains the eastern side of Mt. Hood. It is clearly east of their crest.

For the purpose of redistricting, I think it is still defensible to consider on either side as convenient, however, because it is culturally linked with Portland as much as it is with the rest of Eastern Oregon, and does not require driving over a mountain pass to cross the Cascades to Portland.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »

No complaints on my end... won't happen though.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:04:05 PM »

I think the Oregon GOP would be quite overjoyed at that map. Tongue

While it is nominally 5D-1R, in a bad year for the Dems it could absolutely go 4R-2D.

As for COIs, it's fine, but a north/south split of the mid-Willamette and coast are better.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 01:51:16 AM »

Given that these maps were advanced due to a deal with the Republicans to give equal access on the redistricting commission, I'd quorum bust if I were them. If the Dems aren't willing to act in good faith on the maps, then the compromise is meaningless. Throw it to the courts, it's already a Dem gerrymander so what's the difference?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:07:01 PM »

Given that these maps were advanced due to a deal with the Republicans to give equal access on the redistricting commission, I'd quorum bust if I were them. If the Dems aren't willing to act in good faith on the maps, then the compromise is meaningless. Throw it to the courts, it's already a Dem gerrymander so what's the difference?

Republicans were not acting in good faith with their maps either.

Can't Oregon Democrats do what Texas Republicans did? In other words, can't they order the arrests of all legislators that refuse to show?

Of course they can. But the OR GOP was a bit smarter and didn't film themselves flying to DC. They kept it quiet where they were. Idk what will happen. But if I were them I'd be picking out campsites in Idaho right now.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »

Welp, this is stupid.

Why go all out and strip the GOP of committee assignments and make it absolutely open there is no intention of playing ball... to then adjourn?

Frankly baffling decision. Now we'll get to see if the OR GOP made their campsite reservations in Idaho after all.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 01:23:06 AM »

I want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Tina Kotek here.

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)

Oregon Democrats have absolutely destroyed this state and no are gonna have free reign to further destroy it. Republicans shouldnt have caved

None of it really matters, the Oregon Dems will do whatever they want here anyways. The only relevant question is what our congressional delegation looks like. If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here. It may also be the last.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »

If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here.

just curious: you don't consider any of their previous camping trips to have been useful?

No. They blocked a bill that didn't have enough votes to pass anyways. They have no plan whatsoever to improve the state and no power to implement one anyway. At best, the Oregon GOP serves the purpose of sitting on a slowly sinking sandcastle, trying to quarantine Portland and maintain the investment value of its supporters.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »

I want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Tina Kotek here.

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)

Oregon Democrats have absolutely destroyed this state and no are gonna have free reign to further destroy it. Republicans shouldnt have caved

None of it really matters, the Oregon Dems will do whatever they want here anyways. The only relevant question is what our congressional delegation looks like. If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here. It may also be the last.

What's the endgame here exactly? There has to be a congressional map approved in time for 2022. I assume the SC would draw it if the legislature can't pass one?

The endgame is that the retired judges who would end up drawing the map are probably not going to draw the ridiculous gerrymander the Democrats in the state legislature proposed that, among other things, puts Bend in a Portland seat:

Source: OPB
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »

The map is obviously a gerrymander and completely undefensible on any neutral grounds. The question is whether anyone cares and whether the state law's vague platitudes against partisan gerrymandering mean anything. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies