2020 Oregon Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:24:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 21743 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 20, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »

Redistricting not going as well for Republicans as thought even just a week ago.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2021, 09:00:16 PM »

Redistricting not going as well for Republicans as thought even just a week ago.

It will really be interesting to see if any of them change their minds about gerrymandering being a good thing if both IL and NY come through for the Dems. They loved partisan redistricting in 2002 and 2012 when they predominantly benefited. Now it’s not as lopsided in their favor.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2021, 09:03:45 PM »

It will really be interesting to see if any of them change their minds about gerrymandering being a good thing if both IL and NY come through for the Dems. They loved partisan redistricting in 2002 and 2012 when they predominantly benefited. Now it’s not as lopsided in their favor.

I 100% expect this to happen because they have literally zero shame.  I sincerely hope NY does something so blatant it takes TX Fajitas to a whole new level... do NY spaghetti strings out from NYC all the way to the Canadian border.  How MAF would they be if Stefanik lost her seat because the Bronx was packed into her district.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2021, 01:57:26 AM »

Democrats hold 37 of 60 seats.  They only need 3 state house GOP members to reach the two thirds requirement to call quorum tomorrow and they adjusted 3 state house seats to be better for the R incumbents. 

🤔 this math does check out!
UncleSam

« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2021, 03:42:14 AM »

Wait so Dems made a deal with Rs then backed away from the deal? Is that more or less what happened?

I for one can’t wait until our computer overlords draw all the maps and cut all of this human bickering nonsense out once and for all.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2021, 05:35:17 AM »

This is why Dems should be aggressive in redistricting. It is also why we should be criticizing the Oregon Democrats for being weak at the knees drawing a 5-1 map rather than a proper 6-0 map (which they could easily do by tentacle-ing Portland).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #306 on: September 21, 2021, 06:19:31 AM »

Wait so Dems made a deal with Rs then backed away from the deal? Is that more or less what happened?

I for one can’t wait until our computer overlords draw all the maps and cut all of this human bickering nonsense out once and for all.

Ehhh, yes and no.  Democrats are obeying the letter of the law Re: the agreement, but not the spirit and offering concessions on the state legislative maps to soften the blow if I understand the situation correctly.  Republicans do have an equal number of seats on the redistricting committee, but both parties offered clear gerrymanders re: the congressional maps.  Democrats - I think - are basically saying we’ll just vote to discharge the map from the committee for a floor vote when the committee deadlocks.

Caveat: I haven’t followed the latest developments super closely so I could be a bit off.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #307 on: September 21, 2021, 08:58:24 AM »

Welp, this is stupid.

Why go all out and strip the GOP of committee assignments and make it absolutely open there is no intention of playing ball... to then adjourn?

Frankly baffling decision. Now we'll get to see if the OR GOP made their campsite reservations in Idaho after all.

I think I get it now. They gave three OR Republicans in the House better seats in the new legislative maps in order to entice them to stay today and keep quorum. If they decide to flee, the map drawing process goes to the Democratic SOS who I have to imagine also draws the 5-1 map, plus guts the legislative maps.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »

Welp, this is stupid.

Why go all out and strip the GOP of committee assignments and make it absolutely open there is no intention of playing ball... to then adjourn?

Frankly baffling decision. Now we'll get to see if the OR GOP made their campsite reservations in Idaho after all.

I think I get it now. They gave three OR Republicans in the House better seats in the new legislative maps in order to entice them to stay today and keep quorum. If they decide to flee, the map drawing process goes to the Democratic SOS who I have to imagine also draws the 5-1 map, plus guts the legislative maps.

The SOS doesn't get to draw the congressional map.  It would go to court.  However, if after the SOS draws the legislative maps, Democrats take majorities big enough to overcome the procedural rule the GOP has been using, they could redraw the congressional map in 2023/25. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2021, 10:23:49 AM »

So the 5-1 map looks likely?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2021, 11:06:03 AM »

The GOP is in a damned-if-you-do, damn-if-you-don't scenario. They approve these maps and they keep their ability to hold up legislation through walkouts but lose the new congressional district. If they walk out now then they might get that CD in the courts, but they lose their house influence through a even more partisan map from the progressive SoS. And of course they all have to act as one or else there's a quorum and default to the 5-1 so...
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »

I want to take a moment to appreciate the brilliance of Tina Kotek here.

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #312 on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »

Her grand bargain immediately put an end to all Republican obstruction. Oregon's legislature had its first normal session in three years, able to freely pass bills for the first time since 2018.

Regardless of what actually happens today, one thing is clear: the Democrats got literally everything they wanted, and in return gave up nothing.

The Oregon Republicans completely disarmed themselves yet have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Savage? absolutely. Scummy? probably. Worth it? definitely. IT'S THE ART OF THE DEAL

(also it's worth noting, referendums will certainly pass in 2022 to disarm the entire GOP obstruction arsenal, they will soon find themselves powerless regardless of the precise outcome of the legislative maps)

Yeah, these quorum rules are ridiculous and need to go.

(And before some blue avatar chimes in, yes, I'd say the same for Texas. A minority shouldn't be able to obstruct the entire legislative process.)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #313 on: September 21, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »

Oregon House is in recess until 1 PM (4 PM Eastern), apparently at the request of House Republicans. Probably more deals going on. We'll see.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #315 on: September 21, 2021, 03:15:15 PM »

Idiots
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »

Someone who was in the chamber has COVID, so all activity is postponed until tomorrow for disinfection.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »

Oregon Democrats have absolutely destroyed this state and no are gonna have free reign to further destroy it. Republicans shouldnt have caved
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #318 on: September 21, 2021, 06:46:45 PM »

Oregon Democrats have absolutely destroyed this state and no are gonna have free reign to further destroy it. Republicans shouldnt have caved

As a CA resident I've come to terms with that a long time ago.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: September 21, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »

(source)

The identity of the infected person was not released, nor was their political affiliation. By Tuesday afternoon, four Republicans had filed excused absence requests for Wednesday, specifically citing close proximity to the infected individual or a need to self-quarantine. No such requests had been filed by Democratic lawmakers, according to documents received via a public records request.

sounds like it was a Republican who brought in the COVID
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »

(source)

The identity of the infected person was not released, nor was their political affiliation. By Tuesday afternoon, four Republicans had filed excused absence requests for Wednesday, specifically citing close proximity to the infected individual or a need to self-quarantine. No such requests had been filed by Democratic lawmakers, according to documents received via a public records request.

sounds like it was a Republican who brought in the COVID

Getting infected to own the libs?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2021, 01:23:06 AM »

None of it really matters, the Oregon Dems will do whatever they want here anyways. The only relevant question is what our congressional delegation looks like. If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here. It may also be the last.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2021, 05:17:43 AM »

None of it really matters, the Oregon Dems will do whatever they want here anyways. The only relevant question is what our congressional delegation looks like. If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here. It may also be the last.

What's the endgame here exactly? There has to be a congressional map approved in time for 2022. I assume the SC would draw it if the legislature can't pass one?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »

The Oregon Supreme Court is all dems anyway.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: September 22, 2021, 08:38:36 AM »

If the OR GOP is in fact camping in Idaho right now, this will be the first useful thing they've done in the 3.5 years I've lived here.

just curious: you don't consider any of their previous camping trips to have been useful?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies