Greatest band of the 20th century
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:31:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Greatest band of the 20th century
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the best band of the 20th century?
ABBA

The Beatles

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Greatest band of the 20th century  (Read 886 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2019, 11:58:33 AM »

Please vote and discuss.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »

Write-in: The E Street Band.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:26:04 PM »

Write-in: The original Carter Family.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »

Either Sunny Day Real Estate, Cap'n Jazz, Lifetime or Jimmy Eat World.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 06:41:46 PM »

Of these two options: The Beatles, no question!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2019, 08:51:55 AM by Meclazine »

Of these two options: The Beatles, no question!

The Beatles were popular everywhere as opposed to ABBA who were not a smash hit in every country.

Fortunately, my older sisters in the 1970's were big fans of ABBA in Australia, so they are part of my music DNA.

Despite it being mostly subjective, The Beatles were much greater in nearly all aspects.

I would have picked "The Rolling Stones" for longevity.

And "AC-DC" for rock n roll, especially as they came from my home town in Australia.

Elton John, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Madonna are honourable mentions.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 11:08:16 AM »

I don't understand the hate or the love for Abba.  Aren't they just a foreign version of the Bee Gees with girls?  Disco lite?  Some of the sh**t is catchy, but so are some commercial jingles.  Being "catchy" isn't a sign of quality (unless that's the quality you're looking for).

I prefer The Who (and the Stones, Yardbirds and the Animals for that matter) to the Beatles, but acknowledge that the Beatles are the most important rock band in history.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »

The Rolling Stones?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2019, 11:26:36 AM by Lincoln Republican »

I love ABBA's music.

I have never been a Beatle's fan.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »

I don't understand the hate or the love for Abba.  Aren't they just a foreign version of the Bee Gees with girls?  Disco lite?  Some of the sh**t is catchy, but so are some commercial jingles.  Being "catchy" isn't a sign of quality (unless that's the quality you're looking for).

No, but the music being well-written, well-played, & well-recorded is, as well as the musicality & artistry in their work (Dancing Queen's orchestral parts & the gliss that starts it as well as the piano that cuts through; Take a Chance on Me's "take a chance take a chance take a take a chance chance" counter melody/ostinato; Fernando's wonderfully-undertaken use of the acoustic guitar, the marching snare, & the dual vocals after the first verse before it explodes into this pop song, & the backing instruments & arrangement are super well done as well; SOS's synth work, which really blends with the orchestral instrument (& the synth line that leads to the chorus is great as well), plus the really nice set of keyboard work in the intro; Waterloo's groove & use of horns, as well as the use of interesting chords throughout the verse; & Does Your Mother Know's voice work during the chrous, & the opening synth bass line).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »

Finally, an easy one.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 08:43:10 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2019, 11:00:06 PM by Cigarettes & Saints »

Guys, Sunny Day Real Estate destroys The Beatles. Hell even Fall Out Boy (based only on their early work) is better than The Beatles.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »

Guys, Sunny Day Real destroys The Beatles. Hell even Fall Out Boy (based only on their early work) is better than The Beatles.

It should be first stated that you are wrong. So entirely wrong. So wrong it's a joke. So f**king wrong.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 10:43:38 PM »

Guys, Sunny Day Real destroys The Beatles. Hell even Fall Out Boy (based only on their early work) is better than The Beatles.

It should be first stated that you are wrong. So entirely wrong. So wrong it's a joke. So f**king wrong.
Take This To Your Grave is a f[inks]ing CLASSIC. I'm not disputing their music now sucks.

But this....holy sh!t.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 10:56:08 PM »

Take This To Your Grave is a f[inks]ing CLASSIC. I'm not disputing their music now sucks.

But this....holy sh!t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O2fnK6T6J0

EVEN 👏 IF 👏 SOLELY 👏 TAKING 👏 THEIR 👏 EARLY 👏 WORK 👏 INTO 👏 CONSIDERATION, 👏 FALL 👏 OUT 👏 BOY 👏 (LET 👏 ALONE 👏 SUNNY 👏 DAY 👏 REAL) 👏 IS 👏 NOT 👏 AND 👏 WILL 👏 NEVER 👏 BE 👏 ON 👏 THE 👏 SAME 👏 PLANE 👏 OF 👏 EXISTENCE 👏 AS 👏 THE 👏 F**KING 👏 BEATLES!

Or did you forget that the Beatles are more popular than Jesus?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »

But this....holy sh!t.

EVEN 👏 IF 👏 SOLELY 👏 TAKING 👏 THEIR 👏 EARLY 👏 WORK 👏 INTO 👏 CONSIDERATION, 👏 FALL 👏 OUT 👏 BOY 👏 (LET 👏 ALONE 👏 SUNNY 👏 DAY 👏 REAL) 👏 IS 👏 NOT 👏 AND 👏 WILL 👏 NEVER 👏 BE 👏 ON 👏 THE 👏 SAME 👏 PLANE 👏 OF 👏 EXISTENCE 👏 AS 👏 THE 👏 F**KING 👏 BEATLES!

They're not. And so what? Justin Bieber was insanely popular for awhile, as was Limp Bizkit. Hell Fall Out Boy is popular now.

I don't think you understand the sheer influence and importance of Sunny Day Real Estate or Cap'n Jazz. Like read this. And SDRE was even more important: https://dieangryblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/the-emo-velvet-underground-the-legacy-of-capn
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 11:26:51 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2019, 11:59:15 PM by Meclazine »

I don't understand the hate or the love for Abba.  Aren't they just a foreign version of the Bee Gees with girls?  Disco lite?  Some of the sh**t is catchy, but so are some commercial jingles.  Being "catchy" isn't a sign of quality (unless that's the quality you're looking for).

No, but the music being well-written, well-played, & well-recorded is, as well as the musicality & artistry in their work (Dancing Queen's orchestral parts & the gliss that starts it as well as the piano that cuts through; Take a Chance on Me's "take a chance take a chance take a take a chance chance" counter melody/ostinato; Fernando's wonderfully-undertaken use of the acoustic guitar, the marching snare, & the dual vocals after the first verse before it explodes into this pop song, & the backing instruments & arrangement are super well done as well; SOS's synth work, which really blends with the orchestral instrument (& the synth line that leads to the chorus is great as well), plus the really nice set of keyboard work in the intro; Waterloo's groove & use of horns, as well as the use of interesting chords throughout the verse; & Does Your Mother Know's voice work during the chrous, & the opening synth bass line).

ABBA's music was well written, phrased and structured. Songwriting is not easy, and these guys were up there with 380 Million album sales.

Agnetha was a supermodel. Benny's keyboard playing was magical. The music, the hot Swedish girls, the constant flow of hits. Mesmerized by that harmony every time I listen to them. They overdubbed guitars and keyboards on each other and slightly changed the speed, so the end result was an amazing "wall of sound" effect.

John Lennon said "SOS" was the best pop song ever written:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvChjHcABPA

It's a musical summary of the magic of ABBA.

"Arrival" was my favourite album from 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqfI3PtF5ao

I would take that as a song intro to any album recording regardless. Simply timeless.

And my favourite song was

"I Have a Dream" from 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4N0irJ-gM

and for our Spanish cousins, they got the better film clip:

"Estoy Soņando"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlC3otqX8bc

They were the biggest thing from Sweden to step onto the world stage since the Vikings.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »

But this....holy sh!t.

They're not. And so what? Justin Bieber was insanely popular for awhile, as was Limp Bizkit. Hell Fall Out Boy is popular now.

I don't think you understand the sheer influence and importance of Sunny Day Real Estate or Cap'n Jazz. Like read this. And SDRE was even more important: https://dieangryblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/the-emo-velvet-underground-the-legacy-of-capn

I think Badger put it best when he said:

"Forum institution" my ass. You're just a basket case. Tongue
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 01:25:08 AM »

Bieber was mostly hated at his peak, really. Some people disliked The Beatles but it's not like they were a punchline of a joke like Bieber was, and I doubt Bieber will be as ubiquitous an influence on the music after him.

Anyway, I think overall The Beatles take the cake for 1) popularity, 2) lasting appeal, and 3) influence (in addition to quality which is category 0 but also subjective af Tongue).

Adding a few more honorable mentions: R.E.M., Beach Boys, Nirvana, Fleetwood Mac, the Wu-Tang Clan, I could probably add some more but I'll limit it to 5 that meet those 4 criteria.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 02:30:10 AM »

Of these two, the Beatles

In the "Disco lite" category I'd go with ELO.

The Stones and the Who are acceptable answers

Others would include:

Parliament Funkadelic
REM
U2
Husker Du
Nirvana
The Band (duh)

Not acceptable:
Eagles

Elton John and Madonna aren't really a "band"
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 04:59:01 PM »

Radiohead are my favorite band of all time and released their first three albums in the 90's. But based on just what was accomplished in the 20th century it is The Beatles.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »

Benny Goodman during the period when Gene Krupa was on drums.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 09:08:26 PM »

Love both.  Voted Beatles.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 10:43:51 PM »

Guys, Sunny Day Real Estate destroys The Beatles. Hell even Fall Out Boy (based only on their early work) is better than The Beatles.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »

Spike Jones and the City Slickers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies