Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:06:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 90539 times)
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« on: January 24, 2022, 07:35:00 AM »
« edited: January 24, 2022, 07:56:26 AM by Ritz »

I've tried to make a Republican gerrymander that would comply with the ruling if I understand correctly? Basically I tried to avoid splitting the counties mentioned in the ruling (or split them as little as possible). I also did not pay any attention to incumbency or stuff like that.

This map wouldn't comply with the ruling because it still packs Dem voters in Franklin, cracks them in Hamilton, and the 7th and 9th seats are clearly drawn to avoid a Dem leaning seat in suburban Cuyahoga. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP tried to submit something like this, given how they're acting with the state leg maps.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:14:43 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 02:19:30 PM by Ritz »

I've tried to make a Republican gerrymander that would comply with the ruling if I understand correctly? Basically I tried to avoid splitting the counties mentioned in the ruling (or split them as little as possible). I also did not pay any attention to incumbency or stuff like that.

This map wouldn't comply with the ruling because it still packs Dem voters in Franklin, cracks them in Hamilton, and the 7th and 9th seats are clearly drawn to avoid a Dem leaning seat in suburban Cuyahoga. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP tried to submit this something like this, given how they're acting with the state leg maps.

For what is worth the Hamilton crack is just an attempt to try to make that district as Republican as possible; though I will say that given the result is still pretty much Safe D (unless 2020 was a big fluke in the area) I guess it's an optional thing to do.

And the Franklin pack, while relatively obvious, still does seem somewhat justifyable to me? (I am not familiar at all with the area, but "Rest of Franklin+southern suburbs" seems reasonable on a vacuum?)

I agree the 7th-9th thing is probably too obvious though. (or the 13th I drew for that matter, to a lesser extent)

Well, with Franklin, the OHSC ruling was based on witness testimony that nearly all configurations prioritizing compactness would result in two Dem seats, with the northern one going into Delaware and part of a third county. Your map is basically the same as the original in that it combines parts of downtown Columbus with "far-flung rural communities."

They basically wanted something like this:
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:34:21 PM »

If the OH GOP draws a map that the court finds unsatisfactory once again, does the court then draw it? Perhaps the court is fully aware of this and wants this regardless, but making an OH map truly proportional requires a lot of Dem friendly choices. I think a court may actually be too uncomfortable to make a 8-7. I think a map that is proportional enough for the court to accept would be farther left than what the court draws itself.

The court has to decide who would draw the map if they reject it again. On the other part, I don't think drawing an 8-7 map is that hard. The court guidance would more or less lead to one. Dems would get one seat from Cincinnati, two from Columbus, one from Akron, two from the Cleveland metro, and one from Toledo.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 05:15:05 PM »

Why are Dems so incompetent at this? Why aren't they just using Rodden's map, which is more compact and gives them more seats than their own proposal? Plus, the OHSC has pointed to it as a constitutional map already.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies