Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:28:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 90000 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: February 07, 2022, 07:58:50 PM »

Ngl, even as a Dem, i think advocating for truly proportional legislative maps in a tilted state like Ohio is kinda messed up since the only way to achieve that is by basically making a Dem gerry.
Ya this push for 'proportionality' in places with GOP-favored geography and 'clean maps' in places with Dem-favored geography is pretty much the number one reason why I don't take Dems seriously when it comes to redistricting reform anymore. I used to think Dems were significantly better than Rs on this issue but now I actually think Dems might be worse (or are at best equal).

I mean, it's in the Constitution. The Court didn't ask for proportionality in the congressional map.
This is reasonable and makes this case less egregious. Proportionality is an insane standard but follow-up: how was the horrendous gerrymander of the last decade allowed to stand if there was a proportionality standard?

The amendment was passed in 2018 by statewide vote, it wasn't retroactive to the current maps.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #1001 on: February 07, 2022, 07:59:13 PM »

Another bad ruling.

I was ok with the original strike down but this one is pushing what is constitutionally required to an absurd level.

The court is acting as if different districts don't swing over time. You will never get a perfectly proportional map.
UncleSam

« Reply #1002 on: February 07, 2022, 08:01:17 PM »

Ngl, even as a Dem, i think advocating for truly proportional legislative maps in a tilted state like Ohio is kinda messed up since the only way to achieve that is by basically making a Dem gerry.
Ya this push for 'proportionality' in places with GOP-favored geography and 'clean maps' in places with Dem-favored geography is pretty much the number one reason why I don't take Dems seriously when it comes to redistricting reform anymore. I used to think Dems were significantly better than Rs on this issue but now I actually think Dems might be worse (or are at best equal).

I mean, it's in the Constitution. The Court didn't ask for proportionality in the congressional map.
This is reasonable and makes this case less egregious. Proportionality is an insane standard but follow-up: how was the horrendous gerrymander of the last decade allowed to stand if there was a proportionality standard?

The amendment was passed in 2018 by statewide vote, it wasn't retroactive to the current maps.
Got it, so it wasn't the constitution it was the 2018 amendment. Tbh that system is pretty awful - can't they just put up another amendment that would repeal the last one? Seems like a broken system if the requirement is only a bare majority.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1003 on: February 07, 2022, 08:01:29 PM »

Part of the fair districts 2018 amendment, which must go before the voters so passing or repealing another would be hard. (though don't be surprised if another shows up in light of this messy process to implement a citizen commission) The 2010 maps were passed before that came before the voters obviously and therefore was exempt via grandfather rules. On a practical level, the court effectively only had the votes after 2020.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1004 on: February 07, 2022, 08:16:15 PM »

The court is really doing this badly though. Rather than suggesting to stop splitting q compact Dayton district in the senate they instead propose splitting Cincinnati in 2.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1005 on: February 07, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »

The conservatives on the court are hacks(See Hamilton County congressionally) but they aren't completely wrong that there are a whole bunch of other criteria such as compactness or reducing city splits. The court opinion actually proposed a senate map that split Cleveland into 4 senate districts when it perfectly fits into 1(And yes a fair map should keep it in 1 senate district and it actually  somewhat benefits Democrats to keep it in one district as it frees up Lakewood to go west.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1006 on: February 07, 2022, 09:42:00 PM »

At this rate, I wonder if we'll get a snake by the lake lite in the CD map that's like Biden +5
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1007 on: February 08, 2022, 09:43:07 AM »

It seems likely that the legislature is gonna punt to the commission. I wonder whether they'll get their act together and draw an actual fair map.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1008 on: February 08, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2022, 12:06:54 PM by BoiseBoy »

Ohio Democrats (Yuko/Sykes) have proposed a map that has 8 Trump seats and 7 Biden seats (It was 9-6 in 2016). It is effectively a revision of the Senate Dem's previous bill SB 237.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::8cdb62b0-9cc5-425e-8f47-b09922284960
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1009 on: February 08, 2022, 11:56:41 AM »

Pretty sure that map is illegal cause Columbus is split 3 ways, though that could be fixed p easily
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1010 on: February 08, 2022, 12:04:30 PM »

Pretty sure that map is illegal cause Columbus is split 3 ways, though that could be fixed p easily
Columbus/Franklin is only split between districts 1 and 2 here I believe.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1011 on: February 08, 2022, 12:07:22 PM »

Parts of the any city that cross borders are considered two or more localities for the purpose of redistricting, according to the rules of the road. And simmilarly, any city that is near to or larger than a CD simply needs to have a CD built around it, it need not only include parts of said city but can also include neighboring communities with likeminded views. Unless of course you are referring to the order of the court to make a meaningful attempt to include the non-Franklin portions of Columbus inside a second urban-suburban seat, which I'm sure they will say they did in Delaware.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1012 on: February 08, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »

Parts of the any city that cross borders are considered two or more localities for the purpose of redistricting, according to the rules of the road. And simmilarly, any city that is near to or larger than a CD simply needs to have a CD built around it, it need not only include parts of said city but can also include neighboring communities with likeminded views. Unless of course you are referring to the order of the court to make a meaningful attempt to include the non-Franklin portions of Columbus inside a second urban-suburban seat, which I'm sure they will say they did in Delaware.

Ah thanks for the clarification. Columbus City lines really really get to my OCD (which I actually have).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1013 on: February 08, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »

Ah thanks for the clarification. Columbus City lines really really get to my OCD (which I actually have).

These provisions are more relevant with legislative maps, since lower level seats are more likely to be equal to a locality. And while the city-separation clause makes sense with county preservation rules, it does shaft one community in particular:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1014 on: February 08, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »

Ohio Democrats (Yuko/Sykes) have proposed a map that has 8 Trump seats and 7 Biden seats (It was 9-6 in 2016). It is effectively a revision of the Senate Dem's previous bill SB 237.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::8cdb62b0-9cc5-425e-8f47-b09922284960

That Northern OH configuration looks godawful tbh. I'd much rather they accepted a 9-6 Biden map as long as the 6 districts were all Biden+4 or more.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1015 on: February 08, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »

That Northern OH configuration looks godawful tbh. I'd much rather they accepted a 9-6 Biden map as long as the 6 districts were all Biden+4 or more.

it's called trying to rescue Kaptur Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1016 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »

It's not even about Kaptur! The Toledo district is a bit awkward but nothing too crazy. What they should probably do is recombine the 4 districts in the Northwestern corner.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1017 on: February 08, 2022, 01:03:42 PM »

It's not even about Kaptur! The Toledo district is a bit awkward but nothing too crazy. What they should probably do is recombine the 4 districts in the Northwestern corner.

Well to be specific its called trying to Rescue Kaptur and still trying to get 3 D districts from the rest of NE Ohio.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1018 on: February 08, 2022, 01:05:08 PM »

Well to be specific its called trying to Rescue Kaptur and still trying to get 3 D districts from the rest of NE Ohio.

I mean yeah. So Kaptur is not the point.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1019 on: February 08, 2022, 01:52:16 PM »

Kaptur, 2 in NEOH, 2 in C'bus, and a cincy seat is a fine config imo. That wrap-around-Cleveland seat seems like a mess. Just try to make a safer Akron seat.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1020 on: February 08, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »

Kaptur, 2 in NEOH, 2 in C'bus, and a cincy seat is a fine config imo. That wrap-around-Cleveland seat seems like a mess. Just try to make a safer Akron seat.

This would be the orientation of the GOP actually wanted to play ball and therefore protect what incumbents they can. Abandon the targeting of the 4 D seats, goodbye Chabot, the Columbus seats would be rotated so that its very junior Mike Carey with the short straw, and Gonzalez would see his seat get reapportioned cause he broke the party line. 9-6. But if they won't propose any maps, the result from those with authority will probably have more swing seats in the north.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1021 on: February 08, 2022, 02:09:54 PM »

And on that point, there won't be any proposed maps from the Leg.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1022 on: February 09, 2022, 04:33:39 PM »

Regarding legislative districts, there really is an impasse. I don't think they would try to actually impose their own maps considering the direct wording of the constitution. A bold move they could consider doing is perhaps renumber the house districts to get better senate districts for Democrats. In that case they aren't really "drawing a map " per se but merely just taking the legislative map.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1023 on: February 09, 2022, 04:55:36 PM »

Regarding legislative districts, there really is an impasse. I don't think they would try to actually impose their own maps considering the direct wording of the constitution. A bold move they could consider doing is perhaps renumber the house districts to get better senate districts for Democrats. In that case they aren't really "drawing a map " per se but merely just taking the legislative map.

My money is on a federal court intervening.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1024 on: February 11, 2022, 03:35:13 PM »

Read the conservative dissent on the legislative map. They actually believe the court is asking the commision to draw Democratic gerrymanders. They aren't completely wrong even if they are hacks as seen by Hamilton on the congressional map.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies