Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:40:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 90027 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: November 16, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »

If Democrats aren't sure about the court final ruling it might make sense to lock in the map for 10 years. 1 of the Biden seats is trending pretty D while the other one should remain swingy for a while. The Toledo seat is moving right but the Columbus seat is moving left.(Although not super fast)  As a bonus they even drew a favorable Dem Dayton seat which should be winnable if Turner retires or moves up.

Not a chance, OH SC or bust!

Definitely a gamble, based on timing as well. Will be very well worth it if it works and Connor makes specific requirements. If it doesn't and when the Ohio Supreme court likely flips it could be a massive flop

Nothing ventured, nothing gained Tongue
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #726 on: November 16, 2021, 01:57:35 PM »

If Democrats aren't sure about the court final ruling it might make sense to lock in the map for 10 years. 1 of the Biden seats is trending pretty D while the other one should remain swingy for a while. The Toledo seat is moving right but the Columbus seat is moving left.(Although not super fast)  As a bonus they even drew a favorable Dem Dayton seat which should be winnable if Turner retires or moves up.

Definitely a gamble, based on timing as well. Will be very well worth it if it works and Connor makes specific requirements. If it doesn't and when the Ohio Supreme court likely flips it could be a massive flop with a future redraw.

It's likely their last chance for a generation.  There's nothing to lose.  This isn't like TX or GA where they can wait for more favorable judges mid-decade. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #727 on: November 16, 2021, 09:15:06 PM »

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #728 on: November 16, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »

It's not like the map isn't going to end up in court anyways, so I'm not really sure what they gain from doing this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #729 on: November 17, 2021, 06:18:39 AM »

Would be the biggest self-own if this forced the GOP leadership to work with Democrats and made the maps fairer as a result.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #730 on: November 18, 2021, 11:23:03 AM »

Definitely a gamble, based on timing as well. Will be very well worth it if it works and Connor makes specific requirements. If it doesn't and when the Ohio Supreme court likely flips it could be a massive flop

Really depends, probably worth hoping with the lawsuit for the congressional map but with regards to the state senate map Dems really should have just taken it. Yes a lawsuit may result in a Safe D instead of a Lean D Dayton district and maybe a safer West Cleveland district by adding Lakewood back in but both of these seats are Biden +5 and Biden +8 and hardly unwinnable for Democrats. On the other hand a redraw could very well risk the 4th winnable Columbus seat.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #731 on: November 18, 2021, 01:14:09 PM »

Really depends, probably worth hoping with the lawsuit for the congressional map but with regards to the state senate map Dems really should have just taken it. Yes a lawsuit may result in a Safe D instead of a Lean D Dayton district and maybe a safer West Cleveland district by adding Lakewood back in but both of these seats are Biden +5 and Biden +8 and hardly unwinnable for Democrats. On the other hand a redraw could very well risk the 4th winnable Columbus seat.

Hard disagree, these maps are all awful and a non-gerrymandered map can only help in the Columbus area.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #732 on: November 18, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2021, 02:36:47 PM by lfromnj »

Hard disagree, these maps are all awful and a non-gerrymandered map can only help in the Columbus area.

The 4 senate districts in Columbus are underpopulated by 50k. It can very easily take Madison or Pickaway county and be based in the South part of the county while probably not trending much for the decade.. Instead right now it is a Biden +2 seat based more in the West and NW with Union county with mostly rapid movement leftwards so far. Is it worth risking a Biden seat that could flip D in order to make 2 Lean to Likely D seats at the presidential level Safe D? Even then the West Cleveland seat is pretty compact anyway.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #733 on: November 18, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #734 on: November 18, 2021, 07:29:52 PM »

If Democrats were smart they would have voted for this map to lock it in for ten years. It had dummymander written all over it.

Then again, if Republicans were smart they would have drawn as aggressively as they would a ten-year map. They gave Democrats an opening with that map and they’re lucky they didn’t take advantage of it.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #735 on: November 18, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »

Why didn't democrats vote for it?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #736 on: November 18, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »

Because they plan on suing in court to get a map that is more compliant with the rules?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #737 on: November 18, 2021, 09:53:12 PM »

Because they plan on suing in court to get a map that is more compliant with the rules?
Ok but the court will likely be more pro-gerrymandering post 2022 and republicans will make an even more egregious map in 2026 and the courts won't strike that down
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #738 on: November 18, 2021, 09:54:26 PM »

Ok but the court will likely be more pro-gerrymandering post 2022 and republicans will make an even more egregious map in 2026 and the courts won't strike that down

Maybe Dems try to get an actual commission on the ballot in the meantime?
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #739 on: November 19, 2021, 12:33:20 AM »

Won't a court-drawn map be in place for 10 years? If it's only in place for four then the 2018 initiative was even dumber than I thought.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #740 on: November 19, 2021, 07:05:58 AM »

If Democrats were smart they would have voted for this map to lock it in for ten years. It had dummymander written all over it.

That's utterly idiotic. The Cincinnati, suburban Columbus, and Dayton seats might trend a couple points Democrat by the end of the decade, but that's not enough to make it a "dummymander". Besides, by that same logic that swingy Akron-based seat will probably trend R.

This is an egregious gerrymander and only an utterly pathetic and ineffectual party would lend it credibility by voting for it. I don't know what the situation will be in 2025, but I'd much rather take another shot at a fair map then (whether through the legislature or the courts) that lock in this awful excuse of a map. Thank God Democrats aren't as spineless as you want them to be.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #741 on: November 19, 2021, 09:57:48 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2021, 07:47:55 PM by Torie »

I appreciate the Ohio Supreme Court is Pub friendly, but I cannot image how that court could find that OH-01 as drawn is anything other than a text book case of the lines unduly favoring one party. Its butt ugly erosity has absolutely nothing going for it other than illegal Pubmandering. I am amazed the Pubs were that at once stupid and arrogant enough to go there. I guess we will find out the hack quotient of the Ohio high court soon enough. I hope they blow that CD out, if only to set a good example for the NYS high court, that will be charged with applying a remarkably similar NYS redistricting law.

The balance of the map I think is quite bullet proof, and I would note that they even eschewed tri-chopping any counties, including Franklin, thus rendering OH-15 rather more marginal than what would be the case otherwise. They also made OH-09 more marginal than it perhaps needed to be. How selfless of them.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »

What are the odds that Kaptur in the end gets Biden district or very narrowly Trump+3 or less district?
Lognog
United States

« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »

Is there anyway the Supreme Court can act in time for 2022? maybe 2024?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #744 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »

I appreciate the Ohio Supreme Court is Pub friendly, but I cannot image how that court could find that OH-01 as drawn is anything other than a text book case of the lines unduly favoring one party. Its butt ugly erosity has absolutely nothing going for it other than illegal Pubmandering. I am amazed the Pubs were that at once that stupid and arrogant enough to go there. I guess we will find out the hack quotient of the Ohio high court soon enough. I hope they blow that CD out, if only to set a good example for the NYS high court, that will be charged with applying a remarkably similar NYS redistricting law.

The balance of the map I think is quite bullet proof, and I would note that they even eschewed tri-chopping any counties, including Franklin, thus rendering OH-15 rather more marginal than what would be the case otherwise. They also made OH-09 more marginal than it perhaps needed to be. How selfless of them.

As I’ve said before, they easily could have drawn a clean map that confines Dems to three seats (Cincinatti, Cleveland, and Columbus) and the court would be fine with it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #745 on: November 20, 2021, 04:56:02 AM »

I appreciate the Ohio Supreme Court is Pub friendly, but I cannot image how that court could find that OH-01 as drawn is anything other than a text book case of the lines unduly favoring one party. Its butt ugly erosity has absolutely nothing going for it other than illegal Pubmandering. I am amazed the Pubs were that at once stupid and arrogant enough to go there. I guess we will find out the hack quotient of the Ohio high court soon enough. I hope they blow that CD out, if only to set a good example for the NYS high court, that will be charged with applying a remarkably similar NYS redistricting law.

I'm in agreement with you on OH-01. Hamilton County can contain a district within its boundaries. There is no justification beyond partisanship for such a district. I would also argue that the redistricting provisions should require a competitive Akron-based district. That split of Summit County is an abomination. If they'd kept Summit whole and split Medina, I suppose it would be a begrudgingly acceptable district.

As for tri-chops, they did tri-chop Cuyahoga County. OH-14 sneaks in and grabs most of Cleveland's southern suburbs within the county.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #746 on: November 20, 2021, 09:18:29 AM »

Lmao
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #747 on: November 20, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »

I'm in agreement with you on OH-01. Hamilton County can contain a district within its boundaries. There is no justification beyond partisanship for such a district. I would also argue that the redistricting provisions should require a competitive Akron-based district. That split of Summit County is an abomination. If they'd kept Summit whole and split Medina, I suppose it would be a begrudgingly acceptable district.

As for tri-chops, they did tri-chop Cuyahoga County. OH-14 sneaks in and grabs most of Cleveland's southern suburbs within the county.

Yeah, this map is still a pretty blatant gerrymander.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #748 on: November 20, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #749 on: November 20, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »

Anyone got a shapefile for the new map?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 63