Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:56:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 90392 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »

State officeholders do matter for congressional redistricting. If the legislature fails to pass a map with a bipartisan majority, then the commission (made up of the legislative leaders plus 3 statewide officeholders) gets a shot; only if they fail can the legislature pass a partisan map. The reason people think that is relevant is because DeWine made some vague comments about how maybe gerrymandering was a bad idea, but idk if I buy that he will side with the Dems on the commission.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2023, 01:37:40 PM »

So what do we think will happen with Huffman v. Neiman? It was GVR'd in light of Moore v. Harper, but it would seem that that decision only further confirms that OHSC did, in fact, have the authority to strike down Ohio congressional districts as partisan gerrymanders. Will it matter?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2023, 10:11:20 AM »

Now watch the nY high court side with the gop lol

Pretty gross to see red avatars rooting for disgusting gerrymander. You are an opponent of democracy.
I have no dog in that fight lol I just thought it would be funny if  NY and OH both stay the same when everybody was predicting the opposite
I would go even further than you and say that democrats are more supportive of gerrymandering than the gop now(though that wasn’t the case before). This is because they need it to get proportional maps in WI, PA etc. otherwise you get 6-2 R in WI and 10-7 R in PA. Not justifying it but just an observation

This is dumb for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that (by this metric, anyway) a "fair" Texas map would be like 22 or 23 Biden seats.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2023, 12:33:04 PM »

Now watch the nY high court side with the gop lol

Pretty gross to see red avatars rooting for disgusting gerrymander. You are an opponent of democracy.
I have no dog in that fight lol I just thought it would be funny if  NY and OH both stay the same when everybody was predicting the opposite
I would go even further than you and say that democrats are more supportive of gerrymandering than the gop now(though that wasn’t the case before). This is because they need it to get proportional maps in WI, PA etc. otherwise you get 6-2 R in WI and 10-7 R in PA. Not justifying it but just an observation

This is dumb for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that (by this metric, anyway) a "fair" Texas map would be like 22 or 23 Biden seats.
Obviously it doesn't apply in all cases but it still is undeniable that a fair map in 2012 in several states would have elected more democrats that one today in that same state due to different coalitions.

I'd have to look at this more closely but I think it's a close call. The 2012 Democratic largely coalition involved extremely blue urban areas and much less red rural areas. Dems have largely traded losses in urban and rural areas for gains in suburban areas. From a political geography perspective, though, Democrats still win urban areas and still lose rural areas, but they've flipped many suburbs. I think on balance political geography is probably better for Democrats now than it was then, at least in the House.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies