Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:35:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?  (Read 31853 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »

The Bottom Line: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
It already happened once, what makes you so sure it couldn't happen again?

The USA, in it's history, has led a genocide campaign against Native Americans, held African Americans as slaves, waged an agressive war against Mexico for purely expansionist reasons, interned Japanese Americans and confiscated all their property, helped set up harsh dictatorships all over the world (Iraq, Chile, Afghanistan etc.), essentially allowed African American voters to be disenfranchised all throughout the South, and has done countless other dispicable things.

Most of those horrible things happened at least 2 or 3 generations ago. However, as recently as the 1990's, the U.S. was supporting harsh dictatorships around the world, and helping set up new ones.

In May 2002, Jose Padilla, an American Citizen, was arrested in a Chicago Airport, and was held as an "enemy combatant". Publicly, it was asserted that he was conspiring to detonate a "dirty bomb" in the US, and because of this, no trial was necessary. On his behalf, a lawsuit was filed, accusing the U.S. government of illegally imprisoning Padilla. In November 2005, One week before the Supreme Court was about to hear the case, the U.S. government suddenly let Padilla see lawyers and formally charged him with a crime. The crime, however, had NOTHING to do with a dirty bomb, which was the publicly stated reason for his imprisonment.

For 3.5 years this guy was essentially held as an "enemy combatant" without any proof of the charges.

Japanese American internment lasted from 1942-1945. Just about the same amount of time that Padilla was held for.

Even if it is illegal, even if it is immoral, it doesn't matter, because with our court system so clogged, and with the Government having such influence in the media, the Democrats could easily do exactly what was done in 1942. They could label certain areas "military zones", from which anyone may be excluded for any reason, and chose to exclude all asians, giving them only the newly revamped DNC headquarters/prison camps to live in.

It might be challenged in court, and after an election cycle or two, people might vote out proponents of Asian American internment, but it would take at least 2, maybe even 4 years, before anything would really be done about it.

I don't understand why people have such faith in the honesty, morality, legitimacy, and constitutionality of our government. The government breaks it's own laws all the time, and does tons of stuff that's morally reprehensible.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 09:42:27 PM »

Count me as one Republican who actively supports Asian American internment.
Jacobtm

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 09:58:49 PM »

WTF? Who has actually suggested Asian-American internment since 1945? Also, if Democrats were pushing for internment, that is most assuredly not a reason for voters to choose Democrats over Republicans. Why would anyone vote for someone who is trying to harm them? I also don't see why exactly you are comparing Padilla to the Japanese-American internment; one was clearly attempting to blow up a plane, whereas the others were unfairly imprisoned.

Given that the internment happened over sixty years ago, and given that I have not heard any attempts by politicians to throw Asian-Americans into internment camps again, I don't see where your paranoia is coming from. To be honest, I don't think that many Asians, particularly around here, even consciously care about the internment unless they were directly affected. Of course there will always be some lingering fear or another, but the fact of the matter is, Democrats and Republicans know well that any attempts to detain anyone for no reason whatsoever (are we even fighting a war against any Asian nations at the moment?) would get virtually every damned ally of ours smoulderingly angry.

By your logic, the African-Americans must be actively, consciously voting for one party over another because they are afraid of enslavement. I don't see that happening.

To be honest, though, I don't understand where your paranoia comes from any more than I understand why Asian-Americans choose Democrats over Republicans. Of course the government is screwed up. That doesn't directly imply that politicians are actively pushing for Asian-American internment and shall immediately propose internment should this group stop voting for them, though.

You don't get it at all...

Maybe it's because you're British, or maybe you just haven't been paying attention to what I've been saying. Either way, I'll try to lay it out as simply as possible.

Asian Americans tend to vote Democratic because they are afraid of being interned again.

Republicans have used up all their ability to intern people in the War on Terror. Secret Prisons exist all over the world where prisoners in the War on Terror are being held. Frankly, the Republicans have no more room to imprison/intern anyone. Beyond that, there would be absolutely no reason for Republicans to want to detain Asian Americans.

Democrats are not currently pushing for Asian American internment. They don't need to. At the present, Asians are voting Democratic in large enough numbers to ensure that they are not interned. Internment only becomes an option when Asian Americans stop supporting the Democratic Party.

There are several reasons/justifications for Asian American internment.

1.) Democrats need as many loyal voters as they can get. If Asians aren't going to vote Democratic, then the Democrats certainly won't let them vote for anyone else.

2.) Last time we interned Asian Americans, we won WWII. Coincidence? Who knows? But in most people's minds (most common people), there is a direct correlation between interning Asians and winning great triumphs.

3.) Republicans have been illegally imprisoning people all over the world as of late, and Democrats have been trying to fight against it. The fight has been largely unsucessful. Therefore, if Democrats wanted to intern Asian Americans, Republicans couldn't say a thing about it, because they've been spending so much time and effort defending their illegal imprisonment of all sorts of people.

The reason Asians vote Democratic is not because Democrats are trying to harm them. Democrats are doing nothing of the sort. As you might've noticed, no Asian internment has occured since 1945. The reason why no Asian internment has occured is because Asians give almost all their support to Democrats. They keep doing it because if they stopped, then they would be interned, and being bound to one political party is preferable to internment.

African Americans are a different case alltogether.

If you remember, it was the Republicans who freed the slaves, and the Democrats who instituted Jim Crowe laws to make sure that blacks stayed second hand citizens. Blacks voted consistantly Republican for almost a century, and yet, over that century, not much good happened for them. They were technically not slaves anymore, but they were excluded from white society, and largely bound to working as sharecroppers, an experience not different from Slavery. Still, they voted Republican, but that didn't get them anywhere.

Then, just about 50 or 40 years ago, political alignments began to shift. Blacks started voting for Democrats, people like JFK and LBJ. And, coincidentally, that's when real Civil Rights legislation began to pass, ensuring blacks equality on all grounds, doing all that could be done to end the century of segregation blacks faced in the South.

So in a very real way, Blacks vote for Democrats because they recall what happened when they voted for Republicans. They remember that voting Republican for a century got them nowhere. They remember that when they gave their voting allegience to the Democratic party, things started getting better in a very real way for them.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2006, 01:37:14 PM »

I really really hope Jacob honestly doesn't believe what he's saying.

When's the last time you heard Democrats call for the internment of Cubans, or Republicans for the internment of blacks? That would be quite common if the logic he's using is correct.
Jacobtm

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2006, 09:35:29 PM »

You guys really just don't seem to read what I'm saying.

I'm going to lay it out one last time, then I'm done.

1) No one is calling for Asian American internment now, becuase Asians are voting Democratic. Even though there are Republican Asians, the majority are Democratic.

2) Even though it was only Japanese people interned during WWII, Asians are smart enough to realize that if you can intern Japanese Americans, you could just as easily intern Korean, Chinese, Thai, or even Hawaiian Americans.

3) You don't hear about it often, because it's not a topic that is discussed often. It's simply understood that Asians will vote Democratic, and Democrats will not intern them. There's nothing controversial about it, because the "deal" has been working fine for generations. No one is really scared of being interned, because the majority of Asians are smart enough not to mention it or draw any attention to it.

There are no sources of this agreement, as it isn't a formal policy decision or whatnot. It's simply understood, very much like it was just understood in 1880's New York that Irish Immigrants would vote Democratic, and the Tweed machine would keep them safe and help them out. It's not that complicated, and unwritten, unspoken "understandings" of this sort have gone on for the whole history of American politics.

It's really NOT that hard to understand. America is not a very moral nation, America is not a very transparent nation, and America has a long history of mutually beneficial "unspoken" political deals. This is just another instance of things that have been going on throughout history.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »

Why won't the Republicans intern the Asians, then?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2006, 11:03:31 PM »

Why is the topic continuing? The guy is, most likely, joking, or else is under 12 years old. Attempting a rebuttal is ridiculous on its face.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 07:54:33 AM »

He's joking, but he's thought his point out fairly well. The only flaw is that Asians voted Republican as late as 1996...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 03:23:34 PM »

He's joking, but he's thought his point out fairly well. The only flaw is that Asians voted Republican as late as 1996...

Lets ask him then:

Jacobtm, are you joking?
Jacobtm

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2006, 01:30:10 PM »

Why won't the Republicans intern the Asians, then?
Because Republicans are way more focused on interning all sorts of Arabs and such...
Jacobtm

« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Democrats didn't really need Asian support in 1996; Clinton won easily. The tides have turned now, and they need every type of voter they can get.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Do you really have to ask?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2006, 12:45:42 AM »

Yes, if the Republicans keep trending religious.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »

Are you saying Asians aren't important?! Shocked Smiley
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2007, 10:51:02 AM »

Yes, if the Republicans keep trending religious.
That can't keep up forever. America is becoming both less protestant and more importantly less christian.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2007, 06:29:14 PM »

Well, the Asians in my county (Alameda County) are staunchly Democratic, but it kinda varies. The ones in Orange County are pretty Republican (especially Vietnamese), unless I'm mistaken.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2007, 09:46:27 PM »

Of all minorities, Asian-Americans are the only one that is entirely irrelevant.

Irrelevant??? Thanks alot Sad 

In terms of direct voting, their numbers are insignificant nationally. In the few states where there are concentrations of Asians, the Democrats (who are in turn the national minority) completely dominate.

In terms of professional matriculation, Asian-Americans, especially Asian-American men, prefer to go into moneymaking fields and also fields that do not require much social extroversion. In terms of professional matriculation for government or public office, this creates a double-disincentive.

In terms of financial contribution, they have a chance to make an impact, but many have only been in this country for one or two generations, and like Jews, have connections to foreign countries. The difference is that Israel is a major ally, while China is seen as a strategic competitor; so the scandals questioning the loyalty of Chinese-Americans in the late 1990s (such as the Wen Ho Lee case) understandably soured many from political activity, including giving.

Indian-Americans have a slightly more favorable climate owing to India's position as a possible hedge against China, but 9/11 changed this, as the US now must balance between India and Pakistan. Further, the vast majority of Indian-Americans are Democrats, while political opportunity is confined to the GOP.

Muslim-Americans are understandably too concerned with protecting their own civil liberties and public image to do much else.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2007, 09:59:37 PM »

Well, as a Southern raised Asian, I can say that alot of us are conservative, which mainly results from high-paying jobs. I don't know much about the ones out West or up East, but I'd guess they are fairly Democrat. Of course, I am not your typical Asian, my parents are white, I went to prep school, work out alot, and am in a fraternity in college, and no I did not score a 1600 on the SAT lol I made a 1280. And I AM A darn good driver Smiley

However, I don't really think the "trend" is that significant. I think it's safe to say that Asians are the republicans strongest minority group, despite the numbers of votes we cast. But WE ARE NOT INSIGNIFICANT. WE vote too!!
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2007, 09:43:22 PM by Fabian_the_Fastman »

Well, as a Southern raised Asian, I can say that alot of us are conservative, which mainly results from high-paying jobs. I don't know much about the ones out West or up East, but I'd guess they are fairly Democrat. Of course, I am not your typical Asian, my parents are white, I went to prep school, work out alot, and am in a fraternity in college, and no I did not score a 1600 on the SAT lol I made a 1280. And I AM A darn good driver Smiley

However, I don't really think the "trend" is that significant. I think it's safe to say that Asians are the republicans strongest minority group, despite the numbers of votes we cast. But WE ARE NOT INSIGNIFICANT. WE vote too!!
No. 2/3 of Asian voters are registered Democrats. And do you have any idea how strong we backed Gore in 2000? You only think that Asians are the Republicans strongest group because Asians for the most part tend to vote with the surrounding demographics and you live in the South. A lot of us, especially in LA, San Francisco Bay Area, and the Northeast detest Republicans. Democrats can win the Asian vote because we're most heavily concentrated in California, Hawaii, and the Northeast, all three of which are strongly Democratic. How many Asians are in the South? There are quite a few in Texas and NC, but outside of that, not very many AT ALL. Mississippi's Asian population fails to break even 1%.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2007, 09:31:44 PM »

I can understand why Vietnamese voters in the U.S. might favor Republicans, considering what Democrats escalated in their home country.  But I think it is safe to say that all minority groups will continue to trend Democratic as the Republican party becomes more and more a party of white protestant Christian fundamentalists and rich business owners.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2007, 10:46:36 PM by auburntiger »

No. 2/3 of Asian voters are registered Democrats. And do you have any idea how strong we backed Gore in 2000? You only think that Asians are the Republicans strongest group because Asians for the most part tend to vote with the surrounding demographics and you live in the South. A lot of us, especially in LA, San Francisco Bay Area, and the Northeast detest Republicans. Democrats can win the Asian vote because we're most heavily concentrated in California, Hawaii, and the Northeast, all three of which are strongly Democratic. How many Asians are in the South? There are quite a few in Texas and NC, but outside of that, not very many AT ALL. Mississippi's Asian population fails to break even 1%.

I said that southern Asians (I know there aren't many, lol) are by-and-large conservative; the ones in other regions of the country like yourself are Democrats. I did not say that we vote GOP in large numbers, I said we are the Republican's strongest minority group in comparison with other minority groups: Blacks, Indians, Latinos, etc. I don't doubt 2/3 Asians are registered Dem, but look at the other groups: Blacks vote 90/10, not sure about the others, but I'm sure it's more Dem than a 2/3 ratio.

On a side note: Of the following four groups of Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese) Koreans (like myself), i believe, are the most conservative, take a look at S. Korea, which is predominantly Christian - Catholic. Vietnamese may be more, but it's a close second
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2007, 10:55:59 PM »

Um. Latinos were 58% democratic only in 2004, although they abandoned the GOP en masse due to the illegal immigration issue. Vietnamese are very heavily Republican, due to the Vietnam War (55-22 Republican).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »

As they assimilate more their politics won't vary too mcuh from the mainstream

As they assimilate, they will join the other minorities in voting more strongly Democratic. Many Asian immigrants, except the Japanese, hold (or held) some loyalty to the Republicans out of anti-communist sentiment, sort of a muted version of the Cuba effect. (Vietnamese immigrants obviously have a particular grudge against the Democrats for the Vietnam War; that's closer to the full strength of the Cuba effect.) However, the anti-communist Republican vote, though slower to fade among immigrants, is fading away even there.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

Ever since Japanese American Internment, I suppose Asian Americans want to do all they can to stay on the good side of the Democrats Tongue
Shut the hell up. As an liberal Asian-American democrat, I'm disgusted you'd suggest crap like this. As someone may have said, Asian Americans have been staunchly Republican until the turn of the century. We know perfectly well that the government wouldn't even try to intern us, and you just spew out crap like this.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2007, 07:47:17 PM »

A question: define "Asian". Half the world's population lives in Asia, and includes countless ethnic groups.

Another thing: how is this trend changed if you remove Muslims? Quite a few Asians are Muslims, and since 2000 they have trended Democrat quite substantially (outside of a few groups).

Also, how do the different types of Asians compare to other Americans who live in the same areas? Most Asians are concentrated in left-leaning areas to begin with - big coastal cities like San Francisco and New York. For example, I don't know the exact demographics but even if Chinese-Americans in San Francisco voted 80% Democrat+Green they'd probably be to the right of white San Franciscans!
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »

A question: define "Asian". Half the world's population lives in Asia, and includes countless ethnic groups.

Another thing: how is this trend changed if you remove Muslims? Quite a few Asians are Muslims, and since 2000 they have trended Democrat quite substantially (outside of a few groups).

Also, how do the different types of Asians compare to other Americans who live in the same areas? Most Asians are concentrated in left-leaning areas to begin with - big coastal cities like San Francisco and New York. For example, I don't know the exact demographics but even if Chinese-Americans in San Francisco voted 80% Democrat+Green they'd probably be to the right of white San Franciscans!
The US Census bureau counts middle easterners as whites.

And for the most part, I'd make a guess that indeed, most Asians in the bay area, New York, are liberal (barring Vietnamese-Americans), can go any way in Greater LA (In LA, the only two groups not to vote for Villaraigosa were conservative whites and Asian-Americans. Also, it helps in OC that a lot of Asian Americans there are Vietnamese), and those in areas such as Greater Houston are presumably conservative.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies