Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:38:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?  (Read 31854 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2006, 11:12:20 PM »

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:56:21 AM »

Possibly, it may level off, but they will be staunchly Dem for a long time
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 02:52:52 AM »

Possibly, it may level off, but they will be staunchly Dem for a long time

They trended more Democratic from 2000 to 2004.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 02:54:49 AM »

This is a funny question, because if they go 99.0% for the Democrat in 2008, and then 98.9% of the Democrat in 2012, they won't have trended Democratic for the 2012 election.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 05:16:07 AM »

This is a funny question, because if they go 99.0% for the Democrat in 2008, and then 98.9% of the Democrat in 2012, they won't have trended Democratic for the 2012 election.

I'm not sure I see what that has to do with this question...?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 01:18:20 PM »

I'm not sure I see what that has to do with this question...?

I believe he's making a note that a group can 'trend' in one direction, but still overwhelmingly comprise of the other side.

i.e., Asians could trend towards the Republicans slightly, but still vote largely Democratic.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »

65-35
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 02:32:40 PM »

As they assimilate more their politics won't vary too mcuh from the mainstream
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 02:38:16 PM »

As they assimilate more their politics won't vary too mcuh from the mainstream

The most assimilated Asian-Americans, Japanese-Americans are probably the most reliably Democratic.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 02:50:47 PM »

Most of them tend to be in areas that are solidely left of center like california or hawaii
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »

Most of them tend to be in areas that are solidely left of center like california or hawaii

Stunningly, though, Neil Abercrombie's Honolulu district, which is majority Asian-American gave 47% to Bush, up big time from '00... at least in Hawaii, Asian-Americans seem to be, possibly, trending towards the GOP.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 09:42:50 PM »

Asians are largely urban, pro-science, and less Christian than America as a whole. As Republicans try ever harder to be the party of Elmer Gantry, they will continue to lose the Asian vote. Anybody know if Chinese-Americans are like Cubans in having large numbers vote Republican as a holdover from the Cold War?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 10:32:37 PM »

Asians are largely urban, pro-science, and less Christian than America as a whole. As Republicans try ever harder to be the party of Elmer Gantry, they will continue to lose the Asian vote. Anybody know if Chinese-Americans are like Cubans in having large numbers vote Republican as a holdover from the Cold War?

No.

Vietnamese-Americans are however.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 02:42:50 AM »

Stunningly, though, Neil Abercrombie's Honolulu district, which is majority Asian-American gave 47% to Bush, up big time from '00... at least in Hawaii, Asian-Americans seem to be, possibly, trending towards the GOP.

Not really, Hawaii as a whole is VERY VERY Pro-Incumnbent.  Every election in which an Incumbent was running it swang HARD to the Incumbent against the national average
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 03:09:06 AM »

No.

Chinese Americans used to tilt towards the GOP, but thats not really the case anymore (say the last 13 years or so)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »

No.

Chinese Americans used to tilt towards the GOP, but thats not really the case anymore (say the last 13 years or so)

Many of the older Chinese-Americans are pretty Republican. But thier kids are usually becoming Democrats in increasing numbers.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »

Ever since Japanese American Internment, I suppose Asian Americans want to do all they can to stay on the good side of the Democrats Tongue
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 06:14:05 PM »

Ever since Japanese American Internment, I suppose Asian Americans want to do all they can to stay on the good side of the Democrats Tongue

I thought it would be the other way around.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 06:35:26 PM »

Of all minorities, Asian-Americans are the only one that is entirely irrelevant.

In terms of direct voting, their numbers are insignificant nationally. In the few states where there are concentrations of Asians, the Democrats (who are in turn the national minority) completely dominate.

In terms of professional matriculation, Asian-Americans, especially Asian-American men, prefer to go into moneymaking fields and also fields that do not require much social extroversion. In terms of professional matriculation for government or public office, this creates a double-disincentive.

In terms of financial contribution, they have a chance to make an impact, but many have only been in this country for one or two generations, and like Jews, have connections to foreign countries. The difference is that Israel is a major ally, while China is seen as a strategic competitor; so the scandals questioning the loyalty of Chinese-Americans in the late 1990s (such as the Wen Ho Lee case) understandably soured many from political activity, including giving.

Indian-Americans have a slightly more favorable climate owing to India's position as a possible hedge against China, but 9/11 changed this, as the US now must balance between India and Pakistan. Further, the vast majority of Indian-Americans are Democrats, while political opportunity is confined to the GOP.

Muslim-Americans are understandably too concerned with protecting their own civil liberties and public image to do much else.
Jacobtm

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 09:36:23 PM »

I'm not thinking so much that they're resentful towards Democrats, more like they're worried that if they do anything to anger the Democrats, that something simmilar might happen again.

That's just a guess though.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 04:07:40 PM »

I'm not thinking so much that they're resentful towards Democrats, more like they're worried that if they do anything to anger the Democrats, that something simmilar might happen again.

That's just a guess though.

Are not Democrats supposed to be the pro-human rights party nowaday. I would be more worried about republicans doing something like that. Things have flip-flopped since the 1940's
Jacobtm

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:47 PM »

Are not Democrats supposed to be the pro-human rights party nowaday. I would be more worried about republicans doing something like that. Things
have flip-flopped since the 1940's

Why would Republicans intern Asian-Americans?

Things haven't flip flopped that much since the 1940's, just that Democrats are now in the minority.

Look: if Republicans interned Asian-Americans, what would be the precedent, the context, for that? It would be totally out of nowhere. Are they gonna fight a War on Terrorism as well as a War on Asians? Hell no, they've got their hands tied.

However, Democrats would have much more reason, and justification, to intern Asian Americans.

First of all, they did it before, so there's a precedent for it.

Secondly, when they did it the first time, we won WWII. Coincidence? Who knows?

Thirdly, the Democrats have opposed Republican actions of interning all sorts of people in all sorts of illegal/immoral ways, and what has the result been? The Democrats have made no head-way. Besides the case of Jose Padilla, who FINALLY is getting a trial, no one else Republicans have detained has been set free by Democrats' efforts. The CIA prisons in Eastern Europe still exist, Gitmo is still up and running, along with TONS of other prison camps around the world. So Democrats have done all they can to oppose detainment of (mostly) muslims, and Republicans haven't budged. Therefore, who would say anything if the Democrats decided to intern Asian Americans? Republicans would be huge hypocrites if they said anything, and Democrats are probably just mad that they aren't powerful enough now to detain anyone for no reason anymore.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 09:44:43 PM »

Are not Democrats supposed to be the pro-human rights party nowaday. I would be more worried about republicans doing something like that. Things
have flip-flopped since the 1940's

Things haven't flip flopped that much since the 1940's, just that Democrats are now in the minority.

Look: if Republicans interned Asian-Americans, what would be the precedent, the context, for that? It would be totally out of nowhere. Are they gonna fight a War on Terrorism as well as a War on Asians? Hell no, they've got their hands tied.

However, Democrats would have much more reason, and justification, to intern Asian Americans.

First of all, they did it before, so there's a precedent for it.

Thirdly, the Democrats have opposed Republican actions of interning all sorts of people in all sorts of illegal/immoral ways, and what has the result been? The Democrats have made no head-way. Besides the case of Jose Padilla, who FINALLY is getting a trial, no one else Republicans have detained has been set free by Democrats' efforts. The CIA prisons in Eastern Europe still exist, Gitmo is still up and running, along with TONS of other prison camps around the world. So Democrats have done all they can to oppose detainment of (mostly) muslims, and Republicans haven't budged. Therefore, who would say anything if the Democrats decided to intern Asian Americans? Republicans would be huge hypocrites if they said anything, and Democrats are probably just mad that they aren't powerful enough now to detain anyone for no reason anymore.

They would have no reason too in today's sense. But lets say Japan recreates its once vast military. The militarists take control of japan again and are hostile towards america. They then launch a massive attack on our  bases and interests because of intelligence givin from sources inside america telling them when and where would be the best time to attack. Some crazy radical top notch general in the pentagon says that the japanese got there information from japanese americans. Now, no internment would happen but a republican administration would have a 1% chance likelyhood  of interning the japanese while the democrats would have a 0.5% likelyhood of interning them. Republicans would just have a slighter higher likelyhood of doing it because unlike the 1940's the republicans are now the hawkish and pro-war party while the dems are the anti-war, peace party. Ofcouse, this scenario is purely hypothetical.

Actually, most of japans sources where from caucasions, not from japanese americans.
Jacobtm

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 09:56:44 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There would be absolutely no reason or justification for Republicans to intern Asian Americans. I never said there was/would be.

Exactly.
I disagree with your assessment of the odds.

Republicans have already used up their internment quota. All the secret prisons and prison camps throughout the world are filled up with those the Republicans wanted to intern. They're done for now; they used up all there allowance.

However, it's a well known fact that every DNC building throughout the nation is easily convertible into a prison camp, incase Democrats should ever come to power and quickly need to intern a large amount of people.
Tell me if I understand what you're saying correctly.

You believe that internment worked, because the Japanese government was forced to get all it's info from caucasians, since all the Japanese Americans were interned, and thus unable to act as spies for the Japanese government?

It seems that you're actually making the case for internment...
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »

There would be absolutely no reason or justification for Republicans to intern Asian Americans. I never said there was/would be.

Exactly.
I disagree with your assessment of the odds.

Republicans have already used up their internment quota. All the secret prisons and prison camps throughout the world are filled up with those the Republicans wanted to intern. They're done for now; they used up all there allowance.

However, it's a well known fact that every DNC building throughout the nation is easily convertible into a prison camp, incase Democrats should ever come to power and quickly need to intern a large amount of people.
Tell me if I understand what you're saying correctly.

You believe that internment worked, because the Japanese government was forced to get all it's info from caucasians, since all the Japanese Americans were interned, and thus unable to act as spies for the Japanese government?

It seems that you're actually making the case for internment...

Ok, lets stop on the republicans interning asian americans. It is never going to happen. Internment of a entire racial group is absurd nowaday's in america. I am tired arguing with you on this pointless issue.

On the case of where the japanese got there info from. President Roosevelt did not order the internment until after WW2, and before the pearl harbor attacks when the japanese WERE NOT interned, the Japan Government got the vast majority of there sources from CAUCASIANS. In other terms:

BEFORE INTERNMENT: JAPAN GOT INFO FROM CAUCASIANS
AFTER INTERNMENT: JAPAN GOT INFO FROM CAUCASIANS

Infact, japanese americans were and still are one of the most patriotic groups of americans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies