Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:08:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Will Asian-Americans keep trending Democratic?  (Read 31855 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »

I feel Koreans are the most evangelical and most socially conservative asian group out there. At least they are the best at indoctrinating it into their kids. Other younger asians are very socially liberal, mostly because they grew up around socially liberal whites in suburbs. Of course I am speaking from a Californian perspective and things are probably very different in Texas.

Asians just pick up on their surroundings for the most part.

The Koreans in my area are generally very religious and are the exact opposite of the typical ideology of Seattle's nonreligious, fiscally conservative suburbs.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »

I feel Koreans are the most evangelical and most socially conservative asian group out there. At least they are the best at indoctrinating it into their kids. Other younger asians are very socially liberal, mostly because they grew up around socially liberal whites in suburbs. Of course I am speaking from a Californian perspective and things are probably very different in Texas.

Same with latinos I would say.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »

The Koreans in my area are generally very religious and are the exact opposite of the typical ideology of Seattle's nonreligious, fiscally conservative suburbs.

As they are in mine.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »

As they are in mine.

Here, too... But they don't vote that way.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2009, 04:16:52 PM »

Probably because Republicans are the white, anti-foreigner party, as of now
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »

Probably because Republicans are the white, anti-foreigner party, as of now

Possibly. There's probably a local-dynamic aspect of it, too. Around here, in the most heavily Korean town, the Democrats are a mix of Italians, Koreans and Hispanics while the Republicans are all Italians. Until the Italian machine collapses, Koreans won't vote Republican, but they might vote for a Korean Republican in droves. (This is for Borough Council and Mayoral elections, but it spills over to higher office.)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »

Imagine where those Italians would go if the GOP nominated a fobby Korean
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2009, 06:01:22 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2009, 06:12:37 PM by Verily »

It depends on whether the Democrats nominated a Korean (or Hispanic), too, or not. I think the Koreans would vote net Republican locally if it were a Korean v Korean race. But maybe not. I mean, Pal Park was something like 65% Obama, and the Italians vote net Republican/break-even (see the heavily Italian towns nearby) while there aren't a ton of Hispanics (~15%), so the Koreans must have been strong for Obama. And Kerry also got over 60% there, so it's not Obama's "Asian appeal".

Part of the problem with weighing all of this is not knowing exact demographics currently. Palisades Park has gone from 7% Asian in the 1980 Census to 18% in 1990 to 41% in 2000, to likely well over 50% in 2010, the vast majority of that Korean, but I can't be certain of numbers at all until the 2010 Census. My sense is that the town must be predominantly Korean by now, given what the downtown looks like (more Hangul characters than Latin ones), but maybe not.

There are only two Koreans on the Borough Council, but three Italians and one woman who might be Italian or Hispanic going by her surname (all Democrats). Some of that probably has to do with low Korean turnout, of course; Palisades Park has really low turnout at every election, which must be the Koreans not voting.

Except that the surrounding towns are all 15-25% Korean and have normal-looking turnout rates nonetheless, so maybe it's some quirk specific to Pal Park, or the result of massive voter turnover as the Italians and other native English speakers move out and the Korean immigrants (and Hispanics) move in. Palisades Park tends to be where the newest Korean immigrants move, while the Koreans in neighboring towns have been in the US for a decade or so or are even in some cases second generation (although most adult Koreans in this part of NJ are still first generation).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »

HAHA that'll be the day. Although you never know, it might fit in well with their "urban-suburban hip hop strategy".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies