2020 Labour Leadership Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:52:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Labour Leadership Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44
Author Topic: 2020 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 87159 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 03, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »

Well, on that point at least I am in agreement; if they have any political nous Starmer's people will be - behind the scenes of course, they can't make it *too* obvious - moving heaven and earth to ensure that Phillips actually gets on the ballot. If they had a particularly twisted sense of humour, they could even claim they were acting to "broaden the debate" if asked Cheesy
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »

I see that Nandy has also launched her campaign btw - and she arguably "speaks human" at least as well as "Our Jess" does.

She used to be a bit awkward and a tad hesitant as a public speaker and in interviews, but has improved a lot of late. Seems that she has not been idle during her years on the backbenches. Her main issue will be the fact that no one outside Wigan knows who she is, but you never quite know.

Having said that, surely none of the likely candidates this time (no, not even Starmer) will be as appallingly robotic on the hustings as D Miliband so notoriously was in 2010.

(a key reason why he "unexpectedly" lost IMO)

David Miliband is an oddity because on a one-to-one level he's quite personable (I've met him), but as soon as there's anything that even vaguely resembles a stage...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #277 on: January 03, 2020, 07:56:11 PM »

Nandy has also formally announced. Did so in her constituency's local paper, which is a nice touch.

Surely it was her TOWN local paper?
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2020, 02:51:10 AM »

Those survey figures make sense; we know that Starmer is well-liked by Labour members, we know that a certain proportion will back a cheese sandwich if said sandwich is seen as the 'official' Left candidate, we know that Thornberry is respected but not liked, that Cooper is seen as yesterday's woman, and the rest is basically name recognition.

Alternatively, vigorously opposing small-minded Brexiteerism wasn't and isn't just a flash in the Labour pan but is actually at the heart of the party's political identity. I think an understated number of Labour people feel that Corbyn's weird fence-straddling on the issue not only didn't help win many Leave constituencies, but it didn't help prevent Britain from trading its global standing and societal openness for atavistic Brexit knuckle-dragging. The idea that this is primarily a Blairite/Corbynite civil war is actually overstated, because the Blairites lost and lost badly and the party is a Corbynite party. For many Starmer presents an opportunity to do Corbynism in a competitive, credible, and more firmly European way. Frankly, they seem exactly right about that.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2020, 03:10:28 AM »

Problem Sir Keir will have is dealing with the rest of the Corbynites.

Also, wouldn't he be the first Labour leader to have a K?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #280 on: January 04, 2020, 03:57:43 AM »

Those survey figures make sense; we know that Starmer is well-liked by Labour members, we know that a certain proportion will back a cheese sandwich if said sandwich is seen as the 'official' Left candidate, we know that Thornberry is respected but not liked, that Cooper is seen as yesterday's woman, and the rest is basically name recognition.

Alternatively, vigorously opposing small-minded Brexiteerism wasn't and isn't just a flash in the Labour pan but is actually at the heart of the party's political identity. I think an understated number of Labour people feel that Corbyn's weird fence-straddling on the issue not only didn't help win many Leave constituencies, but it didn't help prevent Britain from trading its global standing and societal openness for atavistic Brexit knuckle-dragging. The idea that this is primarily a Blairite/Corbynite civil war is actually overstated, because the Blairites lost and lost badly and the party is a Corbynite party. For many Starmer presents an opportunity to do Corbynism in a competitive, credible, and more firmly European way. Frankly, they seem exactly right about that.

This is certainly true; but it's equally true that the Blairities lost when there candidate got 4.5% in 2015 leadership election.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #281 on: January 04, 2020, 05:14:02 AM »

Though that is partly because quite a few Blairites supported other candidates then (Dan Hodges dumping Kendall for Cooper was a definite canary in the coalmine there)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #282 on: January 04, 2020, 02:56:32 PM »

Keir launches with a backstory heavy launch- very sensible for the current membership.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #283 on: January 04, 2020, 03:05:42 PM »

I was at Wapping that night too as it happens, still the closest I have ever come to being nicked.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2020, 03:43:28 PM by DaWN »

If I had a vote he'd have it with a moment's hesitation. I don't though and I suspect people like me not being able to vote for him might be his achilles heel.

In any case, he has my endorsement.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »

If I had a vote he'd have it with a moment's hesitation. I don't though and I suspect people like not me not being able to vote for him might be his achilles heel.

Do they not have the £3 supporters thing this time?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »

If I had a vote he'd have it with a moment's hesitation. I don't though and I suspect people like me not being able to vote for him might be his achilles heel.

Weren't you supporting Phillips yesterday? Wink
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »

Weren't you supporting Phillips yesterday? Wink

Errrrr.... no?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »

Actually no, you didn't Smiley

Fair play.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »

I was at Wapping that night too as it happens, still the closest I have ever come to being nicked.

this makes me feel very young...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »

Feel free to join one of the many affiliates or a trade union if you want to vote without joining the party*.

*Insert post of me complaining about this in 2015.

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »

Wait, trade unions can vote in Labour leadership elections? That is really interesting to see honestly; seeing trade unions officially and formally affiliated with the Labour party
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2020, 09:11:50 AM »

Wait, trade unions can vote in Labour leadership elections? That is really interesting to see honestly; seeing trade unions officially and formally affiliated with the Labour party

Only if the Trade Union are affiliated with the Labour Party; and turnout is often ridiculously low.

The Trade Unions vote use to be worth 1/3rd of the electoral college; but for some reason they gave it up in the Collins Review, and then in the last review they received the right to virtually decide who gets on the leadership ballot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #293 on: January 05, 2020, 12:56:38 PM »

Only if the Trade Union are affiliated with the Labour Party; and turnout is often ridiculously low.

And then only if the member in question has agreed to pay the political levy. Of course most do as it's an opt-out rather than opt-in system. Unison, which is now the largest trade union (failing giant Unite has shed an extraordinary number of members of the past decade), has its own additional rules, of course.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #294 on: January 05, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »

And then only if the member in question has agreed to pay the political levy. Of course most do as it's an opt-out rather than opt-in system. Unison, which is now the largest trade union (failing giant Unite has shed an extraordinary number of members of the past decade), has its own additional rules, of course.

An obsession of mine on here; but a large amount is written about Unite without it being pointed out that there membership is falling, the executive is dominated by interesting individuals and that McCluskey barely won re-election in 2017- and failed to get his personal candidate (Andy Burnham) elected in 2015.

There was a good article about how CWU have actually grown a lot in the left as having the best political team in terms of policy & outreach.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #295 on: January 05, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »

An obsession of mine on here; but a large amount is written about Unite without it being pointed out that there membership is falling, the executive is dominated by interesting individuals and that McCluskey barely won re-election in 2017- and failed to get his personal candidate (Andy Burnham) elected in 2015.

A key fact about the relationship between Unite and the Labour Party that gets missed, because there are no serious industrial correspondents in the media these days, is that Unite's influence over the party has grown as its importance within the wider Labour movement has shrunk, and that this is quite obviously not a healthy dynamic, not at all.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #296 on: January 05, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »

Bless.

It was Labour, particularly the left of the party, that opposed the European Community in the first place. It was the Tories from Heath onwards who were fans. Being pro-EU was quintessentially a Blairite/New Labour project, it has nothing to do with the traditional left in this country.

Besides I have bad news for you, Starmer said today Remain is dead.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2020, 03:11:20 PM »

Do the members of the Co-operative Party get to vote in internal Labour elections?  Or members of USDAW (affiliated to Co-op Party)?

For what it's worth over here in the Tory camp the consensus (from my own observations) seems to be:

- RLB is uncharismatic so should be easy to beat (I disagree)
- Lavery is just Corbyn without the campaign skills that Jezza supposedly had (probably not running anyway)
- Nandy is lightweight and "sounds dumb" - Ed Miliband redux?
- Starmer is bland but that could pose a threat if electorate gets fed up of Boris' persona
- Jess Phillips is such a wildcard and is the candidate that many fear the most but she is also the right's favourite leftwinger so...
- Clive who?
- Lady Nugee would be the most beatable as she seems condescending (remember that video where she was "sigh - getting solicitors involved"?
- Most Tories seem to think Starmer will win leadership but everyone is confident that we will win the next election with a majority.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2020, 06:57:48 PM »

I'm sorry for being completely unsubstantial in saying this, but I can't resist:

Starmer is guaranteed to at least beat Johnson in a contest of who has the better hair.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »

Bless.

It was Labour, particularly the left of the party, that opposed the European Community in the first place. It was the Tories from Heath onwards who were fans. Being pro-EU was quintessentially a Blairite/New Labour project, it has nothing to do with the traditional left in this country.

Besides I have bad news for you, Starmer said today Remain is dead.

Even the LibDems aren't *that* likely to be running on a "rejoin" platform come 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies