UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:02:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288184 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2250 on: July 12, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »

I'm always going to want England to lose. That's sort of the whole point of the Home Nations in sports. And if it helps, Wales in both football and rugby annoy me more!

But I'm livid at the goodwill, international goodwill, that a lot of people had for the England squad this time with all the crap directed at the players being squandered in those last few games and after the final by the fans yet again.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2251 on: July 12, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »

I'm always going to want England to lose. That's sort of the whole point of the Home Nations in sports. And if it helps, Wales in both football and rugby annoy me more!

But I'm livid at the goodwill, international goodwill, that a lot of people had for the England squad this time with all the crap directed at the players being squandered in those last few games and after the final by the fans yet again.

I remember a couple years ago I was  reading about how England clubs were being banned from the Europe club tournaments (what became UEFA Champions League) in for a few years in the late 80’s due to hooliganism. I remember saying to myself... huh? They can’t be that bad. But some of the videos and social media posts I’ve seen after yesterday’s final are sickening. I get theyre heartbroken and frustrated that England will never win the Euro or WC but.. that’s heartbreak and frustration does not justify the total vile, disgusting, appalling way in which those fans have presented themselves
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2252 on: July 12, 2021, 04:08:34 PM »

The ban was because of Liverpool fans breaking into the Juventus stands with the result that a crush of fleeing fans resulted in 39 deaths. Things had gotten a lot better over the decades since then with concerted police action; most domestic games pass off without any major incident.

England did win the World Cup in 1966, which we also constantly remind people of. The song "It's Coming Home" was written for Euro '96, the 30th anniversary of that win and where the current manager famously missed a penalty in the semi-final against Germany. The song is a lot less triumphalist than you might think and was a sad, but hopeful reflection on our performance since then.

Last night was only our second ever major tournament final for the men's team (the women got to the European Championship final twice).

Anyway, I hope that those so called fans get hit with some major banning orders.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2253 on: July 12, 2021, 06:02:15 PM »

I remember a couple years ago I was  reading about how England clubs were being banned from the Europe club tournaments (what became UEFA Champions League) in for a few years in the late 80’s due to hooliganism. I remember saying to myself... huh? They can’t be that bad. But some of the videos and social media posts I’ve seen after yesterday’s final are sickening. I get theyre heartbroken and frustrated that England will never win the Euro or WC but.. that’s heartbreak and frustration does not justify the total vile, disgusting, appalling way in which those fans have presented themselves

As I and others have explained, England fans are not the worst actually, just the...most aesthetically in-your-face?

Anyway, surely the real political scandal out of the scenes will be how so many were allowed to gather in the Wembley area with very light policing and stewards totally out of their depth for the biggest sporting event in 55 years, during the tail end of a pandemic too. The Mayor, PM and relevant authorities totally misjudged the capacity of opportunistic, drunk, coked up guys to try their luck storming Wembley. When even a minor Europa League game is on here I can't get off the stadium metro stops without a football ticket (not that I would ever want to get off in Anderlecht) and there are several perimeters of control.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2254 on: July 12, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »

Also, I think Old Wembley may be better than the current Wembley, but that is my opinion.....

Also, if the Tories want to wash away "racism" charges, they need to root this out once and for all and create laws banning racist abuse towards people, if laws are already enforced, then enforce the books and make it stronger....

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2255 on: July 13, 2021, 03:24:02 AM »

So, we have this ridiculous situation where there are 90 or so hereditary peers who are still allowed to be members of the House of Lords, and every so often, when one of them dies or resigns, there's a by-election to replace them.  There have been a few of these recently, but one which has drawn some attention was one for one of the tiny group of Labour hereditary peers.  There was one candidate, Viscount Stansgate.  That, of course, is the title disclaimed by Tony Benn in 1963, the current holder and new member of the House being his son Stephen (brother of Hilary).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2256 on: July 13, 2021, 05:52:33 AM »

So, we have this ridiculous situation where there are 90 or so hereditary peers who are still allowed to be members of the House of Lords, and every so often, when one of them dies or resigns, there's a by-election to replace them.  There have been a few of these recently, but one which has drawn some attention was one for one of the tiny group of Labour hereditary peers.  There was one candidate, Viscount Stansgate.  That, of course, is the title disclaimed by Tony Benn in 1963, the current holder and new member of the House being his son Stephen (brother of Hilary).

The irony doesn't stop there, mind you: with Benn winning this "by-election" (such as it can even be referred to as an election with any semblance of decency given that, had it been contested by more than one candidate, the total electorate would've literally numbered only 3) & the 4th Lord Altrincham winning a Tory by-election last month (which at least had a total electorate numbering at 43, although only 36 bothered to turn-out), both of the 2 peerages that were immediately disclaimed on the same day that the Peerage Act 1963 that enabled such disclaimers took effect are now back in the Lords.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2257 on: July 14, 2021, 05:16:31 AM »

Being widely reported that the England football team have declined a number 10 photocall (and yes it is also being officially denied, but that was always going to be the case whatever actually happened) It really does look like Tory attempts to fit this into their FOREVER CULTURE WAR have rebounded a bit.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2258 on: July 14, 2021, 10:22:38 AM »

The second co leader of the Greens has quit over trans rights.

Glass houses and all but I certainly feel they could be doing a lot better if they had a better leader.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2259 on: July 14, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

Being widely reported that the England football team have declined a number 10 photocall (and yes it is also being officially denied, but that was always going to be the case whatever actually happened) It really does look like Tory attempts to fit this into their FOREVER CULTURE WAR have rebounded a bit.

Fox and Sky news will say that they are too political, they are copying the NBA in the Trump years.....sports and politics have become too intertwined, and Zlatan's message about politics and sports could prove right to a lot of people.

We will see.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2260 on: July 14, 2021, 11:23:23 AM »

Sky News isn't particularly right wing or anti-woke (KRM has only a minority stake in it these days)

There is of course GB News, but viewing figures for that are approaching only visible with microscope territory (which may of course tell its own story) I really don't think that simply trying to import US tropes on this straight over to the UK is particularly wise.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2261 on: July 14, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »

Sky News isn't particularly right wing or anti-woke (KRM has only a minority stake in it these days)

There is of course GB News, but viewing figures for that are approaching only visible with microscope territory (which may of course tell its own story) I really don't think that simply trying to import US tropes on this straight over to the UK is particularly wise.

It is wise because politics is in sports now thanks to Kaepernick and Ali, and now that the English footballers are speaking out more harshly and boldly, Sky News will bring it up, and Fox will do. Fox is already bringing it up. I'm sure Katie Hopkins will be on Tucker Carlson tonight attacking the players for not sticking to sports.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/14/england-footballers-new-generation-britain-progressive-young-
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2262 on: July 14, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »

Politics was in sports long before Kaepernick. Going back to the days of Roman games if not further.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2263 on: July 14, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »

Politics was in sports long before Kaepernick. Going back to the days of Roman games if not further.

True, in a sense, but athletes stopped being vocal about this stuff after Ali's struggles in the 1970s....yes, you have athletes with political beliefs and some don't even have political beliefs, but they kept it quiet. You never heard Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Wayne Rooney or David Beckham speak on it, although they may donate to charitable organizations, etc.

Kaepernick has changed the world so athletes can use their voices if they want----but there are a lot of people who say, focus on sports, focus on championships, leave politics to the backburner....Zlatan has that same ideology unlike Rashford, Kaepernick, Rapinoe and Mings....

Some Guardian readers want to know why the footballers are taking a more bolder stance than Labour? Where's Labour?

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

England Team is doing miles more than Keir Starmer in opposing this government’s deadly and racist attitudes. They are most competent opposition of an incompetent political class.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/14/england-footballers-new-generation-britain-progressive-young-
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2264 on: July 14, 2021, 03:24:54 PM »

Rather like taking the knee Wink

The embrace of the ‘culture wars’ concept by some on the right was always stupid, especially given that the popularisation of the term in the States by Pat Buchanan in 1992 ultimately did the Republicans more harm than good. The bane of UK politics continues to be UK politicians and anoraks who are also aficionados of American politics; some of the sincere believers in ‘culture wars’ probably read too much into Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail by Hunter S. Thompson and thought “ah, shiny concept that needs some #analysis”.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2265 on: July 14, 2021, 03:25:33 PM »

Some Guardian readers want to know why the footballers are taking a more bolder stance than Labour? Where's Labour?

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

England Team is doing miles more than Keir Starmer in opposing this government’s deadly and racist attitudes. They are most competent opposition of an incompetent political class.

Ah yes, news website comment sections, truly the agoras of our age where the most pressing issues are discussed among the brightest of minds.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2266 on: July 14, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

Ah yes, news website comment sections, truly the agoras of our age where the most pressing issues are discussed among the brightest of minds.

You need to hear the voice of the people. The Guardian is one of the few journalistic outlets in the Western world that allows people to speak on the comments section. The Guardian leans left. Their readers are clamoring for change and help against the Tory regime and the England footballers are the only ones other than James O'Brien who are speaking out on racial and poverty issues.....which is why a lot of Tory MPs and Tories in general and conservatives worldwide are begging athletes not to get political......
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #2267 on: July 15, 2021, 12:52:52 AM »

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

You need to hear the voice of the people. The Guardian is one of the few journalistic outlets in the Western world that allows people to speak on the comments section. The Guardian leans left. Their readers are clamoring for change and help against the Tory regime and the England footballers are the only ones other than James O'Brien who are speaking out on racial and poverty issues.....which is why a lot of Tory MPs and Tories in general and conservatives worldwide are begging athletes not to get political......

Lmao, one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in this board recently.

Why did you only start deeply caring about UK politics and the Tory government when racism/black lives came up in the news? And in the opposite tone to all of your US posts.

Not sure that you can, with any degree of seriousness, say that only footballers and minor talk radio host (in the common sense of the noun) James O'Brien are the only people speaking out against injustice. The players have done a great job at forcing the issue but it's correlated with the worldwide movement. Tory MPs haven't reacted well but yesterday Steve Baker was out dsaying the opposite, and the idea that they're part of some worldwide movement begging athletes to stop is stupid.

The Guardian comments section is not the voice of the people lol. The BBC News website also has a comments sec, fwiw. I'm wagering you just looked at the Guardian because it's free.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2268 on: July 15, 2021, 05:27:11 AM »

Any prolonged exposure to comments on the Beeb website could scar a person for life tbf.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #2269 on: July 15, 2021, 05:44:44 AM »

POV:
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2270 on: July 15, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

Lmao, one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in this board recently.

Why did you only start deeply caring about UK politics and the Tory government when racism/black lives came up in the news? And in the opposite tone to all of your US posts.

Not sure that you can, with any degree of seriousness, say that only footballers and minor talk radio host (in the common sense of the noun) James O'Brien are the only people speaking out against injustice. The players have done a great job at forcing the issue but it's correlated with the worldwide movement. Tory MPs haven't reacted well but yesterday Steve Baker was out dsaying the opposite, and the idea that they're part of some worldwide movement begging athletes to stop is stupid.

The Guardian comments section is not the voice of the people lol. The BBC News website also has a comments sec, fwiw. I'm wagering you just looked at the Guardian because it's free.

I've been following UK politics for a long time now, since the Blair-Brown days.....I support kneeling, if Kaepernick, James, Rashford, Mings and Kane want to speak out on something, they have every right to do so....as long as they know what they are doing.....they just need to remember that the global right is going to feud with them on this for a long time....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2271 on: July 15, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »

The young man who faced the most assault has finally spoken....

He gets support internationally, even from Maryland Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, a Black conservative....

Rutherford would have been a good candidate in MD to keep it in GOP hands, but the MDGOP may go Trumpist soon, but other than that, all three men have spoken, including Jadon Sancho.

Britain in general needs a check up on race, and that government report they released on race a few months ago looks foolish.....

Tories should listen to Baker and Andrew Langsley, whom for decades have warned Tories they need to be more awakened to racial problems....

All the Western political parties are all race-bait, do nothing empires....
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2272 on: July 16, 2021, 08:01:00 AM »

GB news has cancelled one of their presenters for taking the knee after their 10 viewers threatened to boycott them.

Pretty hilarious if they collapse this quickly- the Change UK of media.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2273 on: July 16, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »

Talk that they are now going to go "full Trump". But doesn't that run into the statutory requirements for at least a smidgen of even-handedness - Ofcom may be toothless, but maybe not *that* toothless.

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2274 on: July 16, 2021, 12:44:42 PM »

I don't watch any TV so don't know too much about this but looking at the numbers they're not that much behind Sky News and they're still getting like a million people watching.  I think as long as they're turning a profit (and I imagine they are) they'll keep going.  Also worth bearing in mind Andrew Neil isn't presenting at the moment so maybe things could change when he gets back.

As I said I've never really watched TV so I'm no expert.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies