UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:15:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 292999 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5550 on: July 14, 2022, 01:41:46 AM »

I've seen multiple pictures of Sunak brandishing a brief case in such manner.  Is this a tradition of some type?   

Yes when the Chancellor presents their budget.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5551 on: July 14, 2022, 01:47:50 AM »

I've seen multiple pictures of Sunak brandishing a brief case in such manner.  Is this a tradition of some type?   

It looks like a "take your kid to work" day
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5552 on: July 14, 2022, 05:36:13 AM »

Its actually a mildly interesting trivia question - Sunak would be the shortest PM since when exactly?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #5553 on: July 14, 2022, 05:40:30 AM »

Its actually a mildly interesting trivia question - Sunak would be the shortest PM since when exactly?

Well Thatcher was shorter. If you limit it to shortest male PM, then I’m not sure.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5554 on: July 14, 2022, 05:41:32 AM »

Well Thatcher was shorter. If you limit it to shortest male PM, then I’m not sure.

Yes I did think she might be his main "rival" in modern times.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5555 on: July 14, 2022, 05:43:48 AM »

I've seen multiple pictures of Sunak brandishing a brief case in such manner.  Is this a tradition of some type?  

They're traditional ministerial boxes. Lock from the bottom for security reasons. Every minister gets one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5556 on: July 14, 2022, 06:18:51 AM »

Which is amusing as the outgoing PM is short enough himself. Naturally his claimed height is an obvious lie, but we really have come to expect that.
GenerationTerrorist
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5557 on: July 14, 2022, 02:51:24 PM »

As a Centre-Left Labour voter (and Party member), the one I fear most is Penny Mordaunt. The others would be destroyed in a General Election.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5558 on: July 14, 2022, 06:29:11 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2022, 07:18:24 PM by Torrain »

I know that other than the Government failing a confidence vote, there’s basically no way to dislodge the caretaker government. But can we agree that having a government that accepts it has no mandate or authority for two months is a very precarious position, in a time of economic uncertainty?

From all major legislation, from the Gambling Bill to the Online Harms Bill stalling out, or stuff like this:

Wild that Government MPs decided that it was vital to force a resignation from Johnson, but not vital to replace him with someone capable of running policy during a leadership election. Just send Raab to the Palace, and let him steady the ship for a month. Instead we get six weeks of infighting, while the Treasury does nothing to prepare the coming stress on the country during the autumn and winter fuel price hikes.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5559 on: July 14, 2022, 06:44:57 PM »

Tories should have advised Johnson to call a snap election so he could have the chance to prove that he was still popular.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5560 on: July 15, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »

Tories should have advised Johnson to call a snap election so he could have the chance to prove that he was still popular.

If you believe some rumours, he actually tried that one.

And the latest Private Eye says the palace saw that possibility coming and had prepared for it - by all accounts HM wasn't amused about him fibbing to her over prorogation in 2019.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5561 on: July 15, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »

Away from the Tory clown car, it looks like we're in for a nasty heatwave, with the UK record temperature likely to be broken on Monday or Tuesday with 40C forecast to be recorded for the first time; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the record (38.7C in Cambridge just three years ago) is broken on Monday and the new record is then beaten on Tuesday.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5562 on: July 15, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »

If you believe some rumours, he actually tried that one.

And the latest Private Eye says the palace saw that possibility coming and had prepared for it - by all accounts HM wasn't amused about him fibbing to her over prorogation in 2019.

Do you by any chance have a link to (or pic of) that Private Eye account? Would love to read!
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5563 on: July 15, 2022, 12:54:42 PM »

Do you by any chance have a link to (or pic of) that Private Eye account? Would love to read!

I presume this is what's being referred to:
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5564 on: July 15, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »

Reading between the lines there it seems (as I suspected at the time) that they were seriously preparing for a Dismissal if it came to it. It is utterly extraordinary that we reached even that point - this is not a thing that is supposed to happen, ever.

Anyway for those who are not aware, one of the many peculiarities of this country is that the Eye is genuinely the best source for accurate and half-accurate briefings and gossip from the Palace and has been for decades. This is largely because the people who run the magazine went to the same Public Schools as all the senior flunkies and courtiers.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5565 on: July 15, 2022, 01:16:09 PM »

Reading between the lines there it seems (as I suspected at the time) that they were seriously preparing for a Dismissal if it came to it. It is utterly extraordinary that we reached even that point - this is not a thing that is supposed to happen, ever.

Anyway for those who are not aware, one of the many peculiarities of this country is that the Eye is genuinely the best source for accurate and half-accurate briefings and gossip from the Palace and has been for decades. This is largely because the people who run the magazine went to the same Public Schools as all the senior flunkies and courtiers.
In what circumstances do you think they would have pulled the trigger?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5566 on: July 15, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »

Johnson calling for a snap election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5567 on: July 15, 2022, 01:22:37 PM »

We'll never really know for sure. He had technically crossed the line where it would have been constitutionally acceptable, but Brenda's default (quite correctly in my view) has always been not to act unless there's no alternative. I suspect it would have come if he had tried to wriggle out of the internal VONC procedures, which was looking briefly, horribly plausible. It's hard to express how utterly mad it is that this was an outside possibility and not an absurd hypothetical.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5568 on: July 15, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »

Away from the Tory clown car, it looks like we're in for a nasty heatwave, with the UK record temperature likely to be broken on Monday or Tuesday with 40C forecast to be recorded for the first time; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the record (38.7C in Cambridge just three years ago) is broken on Monday and the new record is then beaten on Tuesday.

I was in Cambridge at the time and it took about four hours to get home, because it was so hot that the overhead wires on the train line started to melt. That was annoying, but under circumstances where every ambulance trust in the country is experiencing huge delays in getting patients admitted into hospital due to lack of beds, next week could be absolutely catastrophic.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5569 on: July 15, 2022, 07:06:11 PM »

I was in Cambridge at the time and it took about four hours to get home, because it was so hot that the overhead wires on the train line started to melt. That was annoying, but under circumstances where every ambulance trust in the country is experiencing huge delays in getting patients admitted into hospital due to lack of beds, next week could be absolutely catastrophic.

Am I correct in thinking that most homes in the UK don't have air conditioning?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5570 on: July 15, 2022, 07:10:59 PM »

British homes, from what I've heard, tend to be insulated for the winter. Which...can have less than desirable effects in summer heat waves...
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5571 on: July 15, 2022, 07:51:16 PM »

Air conditioning is pretty uncommon in the UK, though it is getting less so over time, as I understand it.

I have a friend there who just moved to a new house today, as luck would have it, I should ask if she has air conditioning now or not. I'm fairly certain her old house didn't.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5572 on: July 15, 2022, 09:41:11 PM »

"coincidence."
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5573 on: July 15, 2022, 11:11:55 PM »

oh my god she is so unbelievably hot
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5574 on: July 16, 2022, 03:53:26 AM »

You don't prefer Morduant?

Truss is very passable tbf, though I do like her better when not doing a cosplay Thatcher act.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 227 228 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies