UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:45:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288115 times)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5275 on: July 06, 2022, 02:49:13 PM »

So 1922 committee decided not to change the rules tonight why? They're just gonna have to do it next week when he doesn't resign
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5276 on: July 06, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »

So 1922 committee decided not to change the rules tonight why? They're just gonna have to do it next week when he doesn't resign

They’re holding elections for a new executive on Monday - the argument being this new body will have a Democratic mandate to change the rules, whereas the current rump one didn’t.

I would not be shocked if they create a ‘Boris’ rule to allow for a one off challenge. There is a danger he might struggle to get more than 100 MPs supporting him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5277 on: July 06, 2022, 02:58:06 PM »

Any guesses how long he'll last? Tomorrow? Next week? I can't imagine much longer.

Good riddance, Boris.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #5278 on: July 06, 2022, 02:59:25 PM »

Any guesses how long he'll last? Tomorrow? Next week? I can't imagine much longer.

Good riddance, Boris.

Monday at the latest, with the rules change being floated.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5279 on: July 06, 2022, 03:01:40 PM »

Good riddance, Boris.

What might he come up with in the meantime? That's the scary thought.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5280 on: July 06, 2022, 03:01:55 PM »

They’re holding elections for a new executive on Monday - the argument being this new body will have a Democratic mandate to change the rules, whereas the current rump one didn’t.

I guess thats a better explanation, I thought they were still holding out hope he'd go voluntarily. It seems like prolonging the suffering either way to me though.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5281 on: July 06, 2022, 03:05:46 PM »

Good riddance, Boris.

What might he come up with in the meantime? That's the scary thought.

Maybe he'll get on a flight to Kyiv and see his good friend Zelenskyy and hope that somehow MPs will reconsider him as a "statesman"
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5282 on: July 06, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »

If Johnson loses the vote of no confidence, can he contest the ensuing leadership election?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5283 on: July 06, 2022, 03:19:11 PM »

Michael Gove has been sacked after telling the Prime Minister to resign.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #5284 on: July 06, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »

Johnson: "I'll find people to fill the government."

Also Johnson:
Logical

« Reply #5285 on: July 06, 2022, 03:22:00 PM »

I see that we are still at the "moving imaginary armies and sacking generals" stage of the bunker drama.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5286 on: July 06, 2022, 03:25:02 PM »

Deranged.

This is really the stage where you expect officials to start making calls to the Palace.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5287 on: July 06, 2022, 03:26:21 PM »

LOL
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5288 on: July 06, 2022, 03:28:06 PM »

This is funny, and also somewhat disturbing. As in, someone should check to see that he hasn't got any sharp objects nearby.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5289 on: July 06, 2022, 03:28:20 PM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5290 on: July 06, 2022, 03:32:22 PM »

Sacking Gove is such a chad move. Staying with a skeleton cabinet...I almost admire him. He has to go down in legend.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5291 on: July 06, 2022, 03:34:32 PM »

I don't even get what the Boris plan is now. It's inevitable you're going to lose the VONC as soon as it's able to happen. So what is even the point of fighting? The only possible way to avert it is to go to the Palace ASAP.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5292 on: July 06, 2022, 03:35:52 PM »

I mean Gove absolutely deserves this. Even if the instigator is clearly deranged.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5293 on: July 06, 2022, 03:36:03 PM »

Sacking Gove is such a chad move. Staying with a skeleton cabinet...I almost admire him. He has to go down in legend.

It sure will make one hell of a movie.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5294 on: July 06, 2022, 03:55:28 PM »

Looks like Gove is being set up as the scapegoat, everyone will suspect him as being a backstabber.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5295 on: July 06, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »

I don't even get what the Boris plan is now. It's inevitable you're going to lose the VONC as soon as it's able to happen. So what is even the point of fighting? The only possible way to avert it is to go to the Palace ASAP.

Even that would be pointless as he'd certainly lose an election under these circumstances and he'd take the party down with him, but I dunno maybe he'll do it out of spite.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5296 on: July 06, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »

Assuming that the rules are changed and that Johnson does lose a VONC next week (although, at this point, I'm not 100% confident that the party won't bottle it yet again), the rule that leaders can't be challenged again for one calendar year after winning a one needs to be scrapped ASAP. Sure, a threshold of letters for a challenge is probably a necessity, but the one year rule has created a truly ludicrous situation.

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian political party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5297 on: July 06, 2022, 04:21:50 PM »

Assuming that the rules are changed and that Johnson does lose a VONC next week (although, at this point, I'm not 100% confident that the party won't bottle it yet again), the rule that leaders can't be challenged again for one calendar year after winning a one needs to be scrapped ASAP. Sure, a threshold of letters for a challenge is probably a necessity, but the one year rule has created a truly ludicrous situation.

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian party.

Yeah, I'm especially curious about what the endgame of Zahawi is. Sure, it's an amusing bit of Machiavellian tactics, but surely all he'll get out of it is like a position in pub trivia nights (who was the shortest serving Chancellor?)
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5298 on: July 06, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »

At this point I'd also have to say that the careers of anyone who remains in cabinet after this point must be toast. The Johnson loyalists apart, you can't announce that you have no confidence in the PM, tell that to his face, then back down and announce that you support him just because he ing says 'no - piss off'. This is possibly the only parliamentary democracy in the world where the politicians could be that weak and spineless in dealing with a failed leader. You can't imagine them sh*tting the bed this badly in an Australian political party.

Johnson is trying to make this argument that the Conservative victory in 2019 resulted in a governing mandate not for the party but for him as an individual, which really is totally contrary to the central premise of parliamentary democracy, and it's extraordinary how many are somehow willing to go along with that reasoning.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5299 on: July 06, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »

Incidentally, the current holder of the shortest serving Chancellor record, I believe, is Iain MacLeod, who died after a month in office in 1970.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 217 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies