UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:12:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 296072 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4375 on: May 08, 2022, 06:02:55 AM »

Durham police reportedly going to take 4-6 weeks to investigate.

Still being reported it’s their policy not to issue fines but grumbling they might change that because of the Met- which really would be a death kneel not just for the independence of policing, but the independence of different forces.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4376 on: May 08, 2022, 06:20:06 AM »

Well the supposed "smoking gun" from the MoS was somewhat underwhelming.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4377 on: May 08, 2022, 02:01:17 PM »

Well the supposed "smoking gun" from the MoS was somewhat underwhelming.

I’m still confused why it’s damning from a legal perspective- if the claim is he was working then the trip is covered by his work as a party leader, and the exception for political campaigning.

Ofc it’s now being briefed the Tories are worried if he’s fined that he will quit; which brings the difference with the PM back to focus, and which allows Labour to install someone like Nandy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4378 on: May 08, 2022, 02:36:59 PM »

James Anderton, the controversial Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police 1976-91, died the other day. I would hesitate to describe him as intensely homophobic only because I don't think that description really quite captures his sheer poisonous obsession. Anyway, his biggest (in all senses, hah) political ally was Cyril Smith.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4379 on: May 09, 2022, 09:29:12 AM »

Keir set to announce at 4 that he will resign if fined.

Hilariously the Telegraph political editor is crying that Keir is trying to influence a police investigation…
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4380 on: May 09, 2022, 09:38:47 AM »

Hilariously the Telegraph political editor is crying that Keir is trying to influence a police investigation…

Serious 'you're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen!' energy to that, and from similar takes from other cretins.

Basically there was only one possible outcome to this idiocy that wasn't a clear negative for the government (Starmer fined, does not resign), with all of the others being Bad for different reasons. And you didn't have to be a genius to realise that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4381 on: May 09, 2022, 09:49:54 AM »

Something the right wing press would absolutely never even dream of.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4382 on: May 09, 2022, 01:26:52 PM »

Apparently 'god's copper' James Anderton passed away a few days ago. As much as I hope a man of his nature wouldn't be left in charge of the trollies at ASDA, I don't hold out much hope. Besides; they'd just be quiet about it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4383 on: May 09, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »

Sir Keir Starmer has more integrity in his pinkie finger than Boris Johnson and the entire Tory Party has in their whole bodies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4384 on: May 09, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »

Apparently 'god's copper' James Anderton passed away a few days ago. As much as I hope a man of his nature wouldn't be left in charge of the trollies at ASDA, I don't hold out much hope. Besides; they'd just be quiet about it.

Mentioned his death to Dad recently. Said that he remembered him and that he was a 'Sir' but couldn't recall the name... 'Sir Absolute Bastard?'
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4385 on: May 09, 2022, 02:17:58 PM »

I don't think there's really a downside from this situation. Yes, Starmer is a good person and it would be a shame if he had to resign. The most important thing though is that there is a change of government in 2024. If he isn't fined, he secures the moral high ground and the pressure on Boris would be even stronger. If he is fined, Labour is shown to be a party with integrity and they could easily get a more charismatic leader.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4386 on: May 09, 2022, 03:01:27 PM »

London Bridge will be handing over the state opening of Parliament to Charles, citing ongoing mobility issues.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4387 on: May 09, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

Very principled position he’s taken but a foolish one.

You can’t rule out the police being pressured by tories
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4388 on: May 09, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »

Tories don't exactly win by forcing him out under these circumstances.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #4389 on: May 09, 2022, 03:49:33 PM »

Sir Keir Starmer has more integrity in his pinkie finger than Boris Johnson and the entire Tory Party has in their whole bodies.

Really? All 100,000 of them?
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4390 on: May 09, 2022, 03:50:24 PM »

Okay so Keir resigning would make Boris look worst but do we really think he wouldn't just brazen his way though it like everything else and then things are largely the same for the government expect they've successfully removed Labours most popular leader since 2007? Obviously their preferred outcome would be Keir gets fined and then stays but I don't think him resigning would be the worst thing for them.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4391 on: May 09, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »

London Bridge will be handing over the state opening of Parliament to Charles, citing ongoing mobility issues.

The Queen unable to do her constitutional duties for the next potentially few years because she won't abdicate in favour of her septuagenarian son will do more damage than I think they realise.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #4392 on: May 09, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »

Starmer is a replacement level leader. His popularity is slighty negative and he is not very charismatic.
The party is stable enough to have a leadership election without hurting their chances at the next election.

Removing Starmer doesn't solve any of Tories problems.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4393 on: May 09, 2022, 05:02:43 PM »

I mean, if Starmer has to resign due to breaching COVID rules then it makes he and Labour look a little silly after spending six months screeching about Tory breaches of COVID rules. Sure, him resigning probably limits the damage significantly, but it still doesn’t look great (helps feed into a decent ‘Labour are hypocritical/opportunistic’ line, although of course the best way to spin this would be by the Tories saying that he shouldn’t resign and then announcing an amnesty for past breaches of COVID rules).

Meanwhile, a leadership election’s gonna be a faff for Labour and even if it is to be a coronation (hardly guaranteed), I can’t think of any potential candidates who would give the Conservatives more reason to worry than the present leader of the opposition.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4394 on: May 09, 2022, 08:06:10 PM »

I get what you mean - how bad do they look if Starmer falls on the sword - but at the same time the alternative - Starmer staying around after putting it all on the line and being vindicated is even worse for the tories
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4395 on: May 09, 2022, 08:41:40 PM »

I get what you mean - how bad do they look if Starmer falls on the sword - but at the same time the alternative - Starmer staying around after putting it all on the line and being vindicated is even worse for the tories
Either would be better than being fined and not resigning.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4396 on: May 10, 2022, 01:56:40 AM »

I mean, if Starmer has to resign due to breaching COVID rules then it makes he and Labour look a little silly after spending six months screeching about Tory breaches of COVID rules. Sure, him resigning probably limits the damage significantly, but it still doesn’t look great (helps feed into a decent ‘Labour are hypocritical/opportunistic’ line, although of course the best way to spin this would be by the Tories saying that he shouldn’t resign and then announcing an amnesty for past breaches of COVID rules).

Meanwhile, a leadership election’s gonna be a faff for Labour and even if it is to be a coronation (hardly guaranteed), I can’t think of any potential candidates who would give the Conservatives more reason to worry than the present leader of the opposition.

This is interesting- while we see it briefed that the Tories are happy to face him and there’s clearly issues around his lack of well communication skills, he still remains the most popular national politician in England (a very low bar) and well he clearly doesn’t inspire love it’s the first time for a decade that Labour have had solid leads on ‘who would be the best PM’- would Lisa Nandy, Wes Streeting or do have that? I’m not sure.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4397 on: May 10, 2022, 05:28:12 AM »

Point is though, if he *is* fined one of his best selling points compared to BoJo is badly hit.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4398 on: May 10, 2022, 10:42:57 AM »

The Queen unable to do her constitutional duties for the next potentially few years because she won't abdicate in favour of her septuagenarian son will do more damage than I think they realise.

To be fair, the issue is so complex that it's arguably not unreasonable for somebody - incl. the Queen herself - to conclude the opposite. As a Brit, you already know that your tabloids are absolutely rabid & will indignantly bleed any & all images of her using a mobility aid for all that they're worth, after which disrespectful tabloid coverage, health speculation, & harassment will presumably surge through the roof as soon as they hit the public. And indeed, the Queen herself already knows that fully well, too, because it's precisely what happened to Margaret when, in the aftermath of her strokes, she appeared in public for the first time at the Queen Mother's 101st b-day party, blind & in a wheelchair, thereby triggering a tabloid frenzy over Margaret's appearance & obvious ill-health & deterioration that didn't stop 'til she died 2 months later; what's more, the images that were taken of Margaret in the wheelchair - as they were the most recent ones of her - were then often used in her posthumous tributes, making them an unfortunate part of how she'd be visually "remembered" by the public, so I can totally see why the Queen doesn't want her, her family, or the Monarchy as an institution not only to have to go through that, but to have to go through it in relation to the most significant, high-profile member of the family.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4399 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:20 AM »

would Lisa Nandy, Wes Streeting or do have that? I’m not sure.

No, no. No.

This is all or nothing for Labour. If he’s vindicated I think it gives Labour a boost. If he isn’t then you won’t see a Labour government until 2029
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies