UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:18:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288199 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2325 on: August 03, 2021, 09:03:21 AM »

How long before he gets an account here?
I’d expect him to get an account on voteuk first if he joined a political forum but thinking about that made me laugh.

I get a good laugh out of voteuk and its continuity UKIP wallopers.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2326 on: August 03, 2021, 09:08:40 AM »
« Edited: August 03, 2021, 09:16:56 AM by afleitch »

So in this weeks TERF Wars, after Philip Pullman survived an anti-trans pile on, the gender critters declared Terry Pratchett as one of their own to which his own daughter said 'absolutely not' as did friend Neil Gaiman and a plethora of fans.

To settle the debate, Sarah Ditum

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2327 on: August 03, 2021, 09:13:28 AM »

I’d expect him to get an account on voteuk first if he joined a political forum but thinking about that made me laugh.

I hear they feel similarly about you Smiley

(btw did wonder at first whether Cassius on here was a certain Vote UK regular, not so much now)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2328 on: August 03, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »

I mean, the only paper I read on a regular basis is the Guardian so as usual you’re missing the point. Frankly, expecting ‘science, reason and any kind of realistic data-based (lol) policy’ to inform decision making in this situation (as in any other) was always a fantasy. Of course someone like Cummings, having spent x-number of years huddled up in a County Durham bunker imbibing Otto Von Bismarck through his eyeballs, might actually con himself into believing that, but someone like you with a bit of common sense shouldn’t.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2329 on: August 03, 2021, 09:21:16 AM »

I hear they feel similarly about you Smiley

(btw did wonder at first whether Cassius on here was a certain Vote UK regular, not so much now)

I love how seriously annoyed people get with me. I'm not even trolling; I'm making legitimate posts Cheesy
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2330 on: August 03, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »

It is also funny thinking what would atlas be like if Cummings hypothetically joined.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2331 on: August 04, 2021, 07:05:39 AM »

I mean, the only paper I read on a regular basis is the Guardian so as usual you’re missing the point. Frankly, expecting ‘science, reason and any kind of realistic data-based (lol) policy’ to inform decision making in this situation (as in any other) was always a fantasy. Of course someone like Cummings, having spent x-number of years huddled up in a County Durham bunker imbibing Otto Von Bismarck through his eyeballs, might actually con himself into believing that, but someone like you with a bit of common sense shouldn’t.

Even if it were the case it doesn't mean the media should turn every single Covid measure into a culture war.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2332 on: August 04, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »

I mean, the only paper I read on a regular basis is the Guardian

This.......surprises me.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2333 on: August 04, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »

This.......surprises me.

Well, it’s free (because I am a good Tory voter and thus mean and tight fisted as regards all potential items of expenditure bar booze and cricket tickets) and reading their opinion section gives my blood vessels good exercise in the morning.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2334 on: August 04, 2021, 04:09:11 PM »

To add to the above: reading in the Guardian that the Tories are far-right makes me feel better about being a Tory.  It's a bit like the joke about the two Jews reading an anti-Semitic paper.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2335 on: August 05, 2021, 02:21:07 AM »

This.......surprises me.

Well, it’s free (because I am a good Tory voter and thus mean and tight fisted as regards all potential items of expenditure bar booze and cricket tickets) and reading their opinion section gives my blood vessels good exercise in the morning.

To add to the above: reading in the Guardian that the Tories are far-right makes me feel better about being a Tory.  It's a bit like the joke about the two Jews reading an anti-Semitic paper.

Something I've been wondering about - what would y'all's ideal Tory party look like?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2336 on: August 05, 2021, 05:52:08 AM »

Something I've been wondering about - what would y'all's ideal Tory party look like?

You mean what ideology would it have if it was modelled after me?  Probably a cross between Law & Justice (PiS) and Civic Democratic Party (ODS).  I'm not an ideologue so whilst my ideal party would definitely be more right wing than it is now I can't say what specific ideology it would follow beyond broader themes like "conservatism" and "unionism" like it does now.

If you mean my ideal party structure etc for the Tories then that's a deeper issue.  I suppose federalisation (hobby horse alert) of the party would be one thing along with a more open selection process for candidates.  I guess something similar to the structure and processes of the Canadian Tories.

For the leadership election I would prefer if it was more similar to the Labour party's process.  That way the membership would have a wider choice of candidates instead of just two to pick from.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2337 on: August 05, 2021, 08:26:52 AM »

So in this weeks TERF Wars, after Philip Pullman survived an anti-trans pile on, the gender critters declared Terry Pratchett as one of their own to which his own daughter said 'absolutely not' as did friend Neil Gaiman and a plethora of fans.

Ditum has responded to her humiliation by claiming she is, guess what, being "silenced".

Can't they at least come up with something a bit more original?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2338 on: August 05, 2021, 01:53:35 PM »

Insert your own 'What They Want To Hear In The Red Wall' joke here!

The claim is a dubious one anyway. The industry had been in decline for most of the 20th century and was already in a death spiral by the 1980s. The significance of its death as a major industry under Thatcher and Major was the brutality of the end, not the end. After all, deep mining for coal has ended or nearly ended in every 'advanced' economy,* generally on a timescale strikingly similar to that seen in Britain and I do not believe that Margaret Thatcher was in charge of any land other than this.

*'Modern' coal extraction largely taking place in huge open-cast works of one form or another. Occupational communities do not, as a general rule, form themselves around such operations...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2339 on: August 05, 2021, 02:12:06 PM »

The whole thing has been utterly bizarre and embarrassing. Even if you overlook cries of 'absolutely not' from his daughter, his batman and an old friend and collaborator, one of the most consistent themes in his work is a constant advocacy of that very specific sort of laissez-faire countryside tolerance that holds that individuals are wonderful and that if someone wants to call themselves this or that then it's their business ain't it?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2340 on: August 05, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »

The whole thing has been utterly bizarre and embarrassing. Even if you overlook cries of 'absolutely not' from his daughter, his batman and an old friend and collaborator, one of the most consistent themes in his work is a constant advocacy of that very specific sort of laissez-faire countryside tolerance that holds that individuals are wonderful and that if someone wants to call themselves this or that then it's their business ain't it?

TERFism is clawingly British (with a 'respectable' veneer) and journo/author centric so it's to be expected the push back comes from the same circles. When it's from two of my faves in defence of a third it's quite the cherry.

Speaking of cherries, Rosie Duffield is now liking Douglas Murray tweets. Rots the brain this stuff.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2341 on: August 05, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

TERFism is clawingly British (with a 'respectable' veneer) and journo/author centric so it's to be expected the push back comes from the same circles. When it's from two of my faves in defence of a third it's quite the cherry.

Speaking of cherries, Rosie Duffield is now liking Douglas Murray tweets. Rots the brain this stuff.

The interesting thing is how much of an identity it becomes.

I honestly do not know what actual parliamentary work she has done as an MP in the last year, other than get sacked from the whips office.

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2342 on: August 05, 2021, 10:27:04 PM »

Tbf, I'm not sure I really trust children talking about their parents politics retrospectively either, especially from a woke perspective.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2343 on: August 06, 2021, 04:38:38 AM »

I see the Conservative party has fallen back in love with Mr Wilson.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2344 on: August 06, 2021, 05:30:35 AM »

Tbf, I'm not sure I really trust children talking about their parents politics retrospectively either, especially from a woke perspective.

Except the 'politics' comes from the authors own work.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2345 on: August 06, 2021, 05:33:23 AM »

I see the Conservative party has fallen back in love with Mr Wilson.

They'll fall out of love if they grasp that Wilson gave miners other work through various employment schemes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2346 on: August 06, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »

The thing about the NCB's 'rationalisation' programme in the 1960s was that the coalfields most affected were older ones that largely produced high quality coal - steam coal or coking coal - for which demand had collapsed due to structural changes in the rest of the economy. Nearly all coal-fired power stations were built to run on lower grade stuff. For these collieries the practical impact of nationalisation turned out to be to delay closures that would otherwise have come thick and fast in the 1950s for a decade or so. But it's hard to see how they could have lasted longer and, note, the NUM leadership of the day did not actually argue that they ought to. They understood as well as anyone that the end was coming. This is the background to the huge wave of closures in the 1960s and early 1970s. Only an idiot would deem what happened political.

The situation was different in the 1980s. Essentially the Thatcher government knew that the opening up of the great oil and gasfields in the North Sea would mean the end of energy dependence on thermal coal. They knew that this would mean the end of what was left of the coal industry and, critically, that this would mean the end of the NUM as a significant political actor. They wished for revenge for the humiliation of 1973/4 and so decided to move the timeline forward, reasoning that any gaps created by the progressive closure of the pits that produced thermal coal could be covered by imports until what later became known as the 'dash for gas' began. Scargill, for whatever reason, played right into their hands and what happened, happend.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2347 on: August 06, 2021, 09:32:39 AM »

The idea that Pratchett's own daughter understands better what he "really" meant, rather than some TERF ideologue, doesn't strike me as inherently outrageous tbh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2348 on: August 06, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »

Quite. Pratchett did, of course, have his more small 'c' conservative aspects (or as he liked to put it, in his mischievous way, he was 'so left wing that I'm coming back at you from the right'), but in this case they actually led him to the position that can be clearly inferred from his work; that his family and associations state that he held. Besides, there is nothing wrong in the family of a deceased writer defending his or her memory.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2349 on: August 06, 2021, 11:53:05 AM »

Quite. Pratchett did, of course, have his more small 'c' conservative aspects (or as he liked to put it, in his mischievous way, he was 'so left wing that I'm coming back at you from the right'), but in this case they actually led him to the position that can be clearly inferred from his work; that his family and associations state that he held.

Shades of C.S. Lewis arguing for decriminalizing homosexuality on the quintessentially Tory grounds of disliking "interferers and busybodies". Although obviously Pratchett wouldn't have had anything like the same personal and philosophical views on the matter as Lewis.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies