UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:32:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 294984 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: May 30, 2021, 02:26:31 PM »

I'm fairly sure that anyone who worshipped Boris as part of some sort of cult is against lockdowns and consequently feels betrayed.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2076 on: May 30, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »

Not everything she writes is good, but that penultimate paragraph ranks amongst the most cutting and coruscating that any member of the pundit class has dared to utter about (some of) their fellows.

That paragraph could have been written with reference to this forum, and for all the good it will do it might as well have been.

Useless.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2077 on: May 30, 2021, 04:52:23 PM »

Is he Catholic? I heard on the radio that he was married at Westminster Cathedral.

For the non-Brits reading this, that's an 11-minute walk from the Abbey and next to Victoria Station.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2078 on: May 30, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »

Leaked picture from Johnson's secret wedding!
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2079 on: May 31, 2021, 05:51:16 AM »

Not everything she writes is good, but that penultimate paragraph ranks amongst the most cutting and coruscating that any member of the pundit class has dared to utter about (some of) their fellows.

That paragraph could have been written with reference to this forum, and for all the good it will do it might as well have been.

Useless.

Really? Not aware of that many equivalents of Goodwin/Cole/Payne on here tbh.

(though as ever, your mileage may vary)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2080 on: May 31, 2021, 12:18:18 PM »

Joanna Cherry has stepped down from the SNP NEC

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2081 on: May 31, 2021, 01:34:24 PM »

Surprised she was still on it- although this is a bit like if Tom Watson quit the NEC in 2019. Her disagreeing with the leadership is a water is wet moment.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2082 on: June 01, 2021, 08:01:11 AM »

The party treasurer has stepped down too, and like Cherry they are citing "transparency".
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2083 on: June 01, 2021, 04:28:42 PM »

Is he right? Boris Johnson says no evidence to delay 21 June reopening

His instincts have been wrong three times before, so it's not particularly reassuring. The UK recording no deaths today and still cases in the low thousands are great numbers. However, the scientists are worried a lot about the Indian variant (now called Delta?). Its increased transmissibility is boosting case numbers slightly, but it's hard to tell whether it will cause a significant amount of deaths. The vulnerable populations have already been vaccinated, so those who are unvaccinated should have less severe illness. However, it's unknown exactly how low the death risk is and how much the Delta variant will spread, so maybe there is cause to worry and push the reopening back a bit.

(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2084 on: June 01, 2021, 11:14:41 PM »

The fact that Boris is now married to someone young enough to be his daughter really needs to stick in more throats than it has .
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2085 on: June 02, 2021, 04:16:29 AM »

There comes a point where we’re going to have to say goodbye to all COVID restrictions. We can’t keep putting our head in the sand. I wonder whether it’ll end up like post-war rationing.

I can’t comment on these studies specifically, but it is extraordinary some of the data/assumptions which go into some of the scientists’ models. They deserve a lot more public scrutiny,
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2086 on: June 02, 2021, 04:46:18 AM »

The fact that Boris is now married to someone young enough to be his daughter really needs to stick in more throats than it has .
I don't see why any voter ought to care about the age of Boris' wife and not, you know, more relevant things, like how he runs the country. You know, stuff that actually matters...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2087 on: June 02, 2021, 05:10:39 AM »

I don't see why any voter ought to care about the age of Boris' wife and not, you know, more relevant things, like how he runs the country. You know, stuff that actually matters...

The age of Boris Johnson's wife is about as relevant as the age of Emmanuel Macron's wife.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2088 on: June 02, 2021, 05:14:25 AM »

I'm fairly sure that anyone who worshipped Boris as part of some sort of cult is against lockdowns and consequently feels betrayed.

I don't think anti-lockdown sentiment is that widespread in the UK, especially among the sort of authoritarian followers most likely to form part of a cult of someone like Johnson.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2089 on: June 02, 2021, 05:17:24 AM »

There comes a point where we’re going to have to say goodbye to all COVID restrictions. We can’t keep putting our head in the sand. I wonder whether it’ll end up like post-war rationing.

I can’t comment on these studies specifically, but it is extraordinary some of the data/assumptions which go into some of the scientists’ models. They deserve a lot more public scrutiny,

Sorry, can you give some examples of some of these "extraordinary" data or assumptions?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2090 on: June 02, 2021, 05:39:48 AM »

I don't think anti-lockdown sentiment is that widespread in the UK, especially among the sort of authoritarian followers most likely to form part of a cult of someone like Johnson.

Yeah it’s over-egged in political circles because of social media- the recent London mayoral election showed that it’s a rather fringe position.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2091 on: June 02, 2021, 05:45:14 AM »

Saying goodbye to all Covid restrictions is not gonna happen until the pandemic, in the strictest sense of the word, ends. Why is only Cummings flagging up the disastrous border policies that led to the Indian variant becoming widespread in the first place? I get that people want to see their families but we all have to make sacrifices, and a 10 day quarantine on entry like Taiwan and Australia enforced wouldn't have gone amiss. The UK doesnt have the excuse of "We're not an island so we can't control who comes in and out" that the EU deployed for its total mismanagement of travel. I travelled twice for work purposes and twice i could have got away scott free without any quarantine whatsoever, just a sh**tty QR code.

Point being : yet again the debate seems to be a black-white "FREEDOM, LEAVE US ALONE" vs an imaginary enemy, the Public Health Officials that somehow are hell bent on ruining armchair reactionaries who didnt get out much before 2020 anyway. When really the debate should be which measures are effective and allow us to resume normal life the quickest way possible.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2092 on: June 02, 2021, 05:50:23 AM »

But nor is/was a cult following of Boris Johnson. Cult worshippers tend not to be very logical; hence you have them supporting various authoritarian measures whilst decrying the loss of liberty during the pandemic.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2093 on: June 02, 2021, 05:51:59 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 06:33:29 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

Sorry, can you give some examples of some of these "extraordinary" data or assumptions?

I can dig out the specifics if you like, but off the top of my head Neil Ferguson to come up with 500,000 deaths assumed that no one vulnerable (mainly the old) would take any precautionary measures of their own and back in February/March they were using data from December when vaccination rates were very low.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2094 on: June 02, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »

Saying goodbye to all Covid restrictions is not gonna happen until the pandemic, in the strictest sense of the word, ends. Why is only Cummings flagging up the disastrous border policies that led to the Indian variant becoming widespread in the first place? I get that people want to see their families but we all have to make sacrifices, and a 10 day quarantine on entry like Taiwan and Australia enforced wouldn't have gone amiss. The UK doesnt have the excuse of "We're not an island so we can't control who comes in and out" that the EU deployed for its total mismanagement of travel. I travelled twice for work purposes and twice i could have got away scott free without any quarantine whatsoever, just a sh**tty QR code.

Point being : yet again the debate seems to be a black-white "FREEDOM, LEAVE US ALONE" vs an imaginary enemy, the Public Health Officials that somehow are hell bent on ruining armchair reactionaries who didnt get out much before 2020 anyway. When really the debate should be which measures are effective and allow us to resume normal life the quickest way possible.

That’s the root of the problem.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2095 on: June 02, 2021, 06:01:44 AM »

The pandemic is over - the disease in now endemic in the UK but that ultimately doesn’t matter because we can now combat it with vaccines. 60% of the UK population (including children) have had at least one dose of the vaccine, that’ll probably rise to about 66% by June 21st based on the current pace of vaccinations. Nearly all of the most vulnerable groups have now had their two vaccines. It’s Summer. There’s no evidence that the “Indian” or any other variant has the ability to evade the vaccine in any significant way. It’s over and it’s time to return to normal.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2096 on: June 02, 2021, 06:02:52 AM »

But nor is/was a cult following of Boris Johnson. Cult worshippers tend not to be very logical; hence you have them supporting various authoritarian measures whilst decrying the loss of liberty during the pandemic.

Do you deny that there's a substantial part of the UK population with an irrational liking for Johnson (who they call "Boris", of course) which is very unresponsive to the repeated evidence of his many manifest flaws?  (It appears to be well represented in Hartlepool, for a start.)  Or are you just taking issue with the use of the word "cult"?

I do suggest reading The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer (freely available online).  There are plenty worse authoritarian movements than Johnsonian populism (Trumpism for a start) but it definitely has some of the characteristics.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2097 on: June 02, 2021, 06:14:42 AM »

Do you deny that there's a substantial part of the UK population with an irrational liking for Johnson (who they call "Boris", of course) which is very unresponsive to the repeated evidence of his many manifest flaws?  (It appears to be well represented in Hartlepool, for a start.)  Or are you just taking issue with the use of the word "cult"?

I do suggest reading The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer (freely available online).  There are plenty worse authoritarian movements than Johnsonian populism (Trumpism for a start) but it definitely has some of the characteristics.

I do think there is something of an apolitical liking of Boris for whatever reason, but I don’t think many people think he’s been a particularly good PM or some sort of saviour like the more deranged Trump supporters. I’ll admit this did exist before the pandemic and related to Brexit, but most of those people I do think are against lockdowns. Anecdotally, I know someone who is a staunch Tory Brexiteer who was a big fan of Boris back in 2019 (voted for him as party member) but is disillusioned over lockdowns and his leftward drift. He voted Laurence Fox for mayor of London.

As for Hartlepool, I suspect a lot of newly Tory voters there are aware of his flaws, but like his (perceived or real) communitarian stance and showering money on these places.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2098 on: June 02, 2021, 06:48:33 AM »

I do think there is something of an apolitical liking of Boris for whatever reason, but I don’t think many people think he’s been a particularly good PM or some sort of saviour like the more deranged Trump supporters. I’ll admit this did exist before the pandemic and related to Brexit, but most of those people I do think are against lockdowns. Anecdotally, I know someone who is a staunch Tory Brexiteer who was a big fan of Boris back in 2019 (voted for him as party member) but is disillusioned over lockdowns and his leftward drift. He voted Laurence Fox for mayor of London.

Well, that he voted for Fox suggests that he is not very representative...

(Well, I suspect that he may be reasonably representative of a subgroup who are very politically engaged -- lockdown sceptics are seriously over-represented on the Vote UK forum -- but the sort of people I'm talking about aren't very politically engaged.)

As for Hartlepool, I suspect a lot of newly Tory voters there are aware of his flaws, but like his (perceived or real) communitarian stance and showering money on these places.

Look at the response he got when he went there.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2099 on: June 02, 2021, 07:06:12 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2021, 07:10:06 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

Also, I don't think he really cultivates a cult, beyond ruffling his hair and whatnot which doesn't really engender a "cult" following.
Certainly, the Fox voter isn't representative of the country, but he's the sort of person who greatly admired Boris previously. The sorts of people who like him aren't particularly committed, I think.

Interestingly - I don't know whether this matches up with your experience - I think he is representative of a very patriotic, but also individualistic Thatcherite working/lower-middle class. IIRC the hardcore of the Thatcherite base was the not particularly affluent but very aspirational type (her father, for example).
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies