UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 288134 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 15, 2020, 05:23:59 AM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54158832

'Waspi' womern lose appeal. Which I agree with; there had to be a cut off point somewhere. And you can't bind policy to past decisions on pensions, tax and NI.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1001 on: September 15, 2020, 07:49:48 AM »

lol  Cheesy

"Dear voters, here is what you could have won".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1002 on: September 15, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »

The UK is becoming Florida.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1003 on: September 15, 2020, 07:55:54 AM »

But with significantly crappier weather.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1004 on: September 15, 2020, 08:07:37 AM »

It was like 50 degrees when I was there in January.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1005 on: September 15, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-54161766

Ex-Conservative MP Charlie Elphicke has been jailed for two years for sexually assaulting two women.

Elphicke, 49, the former MP for Dover, was convicted of groping the women in similar situations, nine years apart.

He denied the charges, but was found guilty of one count of sexual assault in 2007 and two further counts in 2016, after a trial at Southwark Crown Court.

The judge told Elphicke he was a "sexual predator who used your success and respectability as a cover".

Within minutes of his jailing, Elphicke confirmed he would appeal against his conviction, arguing he had not had a "fair trial".
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1006 on: September 15, 2020, 02:02:53 PM »

50 degrees? World-record breaking temperatures, let alone in Britain! Tongue
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1007 on: September 15, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54158832

'Waspi' womern lose appeal. Which I agree with; there had to be a cut off point somewhere. And you can't bind policy to past decisions on pensions, tax and NI.

In this day and age, it would be pretty bizarre for women, considering they live considerably longer on average than men, to be able to retire early.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1008 on: September 16, 2020, 06:24:18 AM »

Unless they mean Fahrenheit, of course Wink
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1009 on: September 16, 2020, 08:32:08 AM »

Was just watching Angela Rayner's PMQs on the grouse shooting exceptions of the "Rule of Six" (is that really what they're calling the new rules?)

Thought Rayner did really well. I'm still so surprised when she didn't run for Leader.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1010 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »

Ngl the sight of certain Corbynistas lauding her today when they slagged her off constantly in the last few years, does not fail to grimly amuse.

(the abuse she got from some for opposing buffoon Burgon in the deputy contest was hilarious)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1011 on: September 16, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »

Rayner 's back story is admirable but her performance today was hardly stellar from what I saw. She seemed to bounce from issue to issue.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1012 on: September 16, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »

She was solid. That's good. Room for improvement, absolutely, but that's fine so early into a career. But once again the PM put in an absolutely catastrophic showing...
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1013 on: September 16, 2020, 10:31:26 AM »

Unless they mean Fahrenheit, of course Wink

Cross-cultural confusion is what my joke was getting at...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1014 on: September 17, 2020, 06:12:16 AM »

Toby Young has withdrawn his support for Boris Johnson. This means that Johnson now has ‘longest serving PM since Walpole’ firmly in the bag.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1015 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:37 AM »

Rayner 's back story is admirable but her performance today was hardly stellar from what I saw. She seemed to bounce from issue to issue.

Her first time doing it and she was almost certainly pretty nervous.

Given that, she was perfectly adequate.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1016 on: September 17, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »

She wasn't actively disastrous (like The Man From Islington Who Shall Not Be Named or his usual substitute Her Ladyship) but I don't think she was very good. Maybe she'll be better when she's a bit more confident, but it did have a bit of a 'suddenly promoted backbencher' vibe... which is unfortunate given that I don't doubt she is more capable than that. Style does count for a lot and I'm not sure she can manage it.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1017 on: September 17, 2020, 11:47:44 AM »

With PMQs there's always the question of who the audience is. If the audience is the lobby then I don't think Rayner's style is ever going to be appreciated, especially when she's facing Raab rather than Johnson. If the audience is Facebook via clips, then I think Rayner's bluntness could go down rather well with a lot of our target voter pool - similar to the way that Prescott was actually a much better deputy for Blair than the latter had first thought.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »

On that point, it may be helpful that she has a fairly old-fashioned Manchester Region accent, and so sounds more generically Northern than North Western.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1019 on: September 18, 2020, 09:17:50 AM »

Rayner certainly has a "style" of her own. Not everybody is a fan, but I am and happily admit it Smiley

Plus even her detractors will struggle not to admit she was one of the more effective front benchers for Labour throughout the Corbyn years.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1020 on: September 18, 2020, 01:32:25 PM »

Wow, the UK has been destroying its international and regional reputation for the past four years and now it's going to blame a worse relationship with the US on us electing an uppity Fenian Papist.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1021 on: September 18, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »

Rayner certainly has a "style" of her own. Not everybody is a fan, but I am and happily admit it Smiley

Plus even her detractors will struggle not to admit she was one of the more effective front benchers for Labour throughout the Corbyn years.

The thing I would note is that while she has been in politics for a while via her union activism, she is really very new to public life: she has only been an MP for five years and had no public facing role before then. It will be interesting to see how she develops, as she's a fast learner: she is already a very different politician to the one she was a year ago.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1022 on: September 19, 2020, 05:19:52 AM »

YouGov (on balance one of the more pro-Tory pollsters) now have them on a 40-40 tie with Labour.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1023 on: September 19, 2020, 01:49:40 PM »

FWIW I thought Rayner did very well & it was always going to be a more Labour response rather than a leader of the opposition one. The remarkable thing is that the Tories had the chance to put Raab up; it would have taken the heat out (he's always remarkably deferential at the dispatch box & has gone a bit soft at the FCO) & would have made it a sideshow.

On the subject of Rayner she contrasts with Starmer extremely well & frankly as all the skills you want as deputy. There's been a bit of well briefed 'concern' about the lack of a team around Starmer; it would be very good for her to appear more. Although it was worth noting she was sent out rather than Kate Green (the shadow education sec) after the A-Levels fiasco to really the put the boot in.

She is extremely talented politically & should not be under estimated; she cleared the deputy leadership field of anyone serious, she did very well at having her own fiefdom during the Corbyn years & for the joy of parlour games she's the odds on favourite to be the next leader.

The thing I would note is that while she has been in politics for a while via her union activism, she is really very new to public life: she has only been an MP for five years and had no public facing role before then. It will be interesting to see how she develops, as she's a fast learner: she is already a very different politician to the one she was a year ago.

On this note I just realised that the three most well positioned corbynite MPs from the 2015 & 2017 intake are Rayner, Sam Tarry and Dan Carden who were all officials in trade unions. They know how to play the game & do the graft.

YouGov (on balance one of the more pro-Tory pollsters) now have them on a 40-40 tie with Labour.

Wonder when we'll finally get the first Labour lead in the polls which will cause the natural panic in the Tory Party.

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1024 on: September 19, 2020, 03:47:05 PM »

On this note I just realised that the three most well positioned corbynite MPs from the 2015 & 2017 intake are Rayner, Sam Tarry and Dan Carden who were all officials in trade unions. They know how to play the game & do the graft.

Although unlike the other two, Rayner actually won a contested selection. Carden's shortlist was thoroughly stitched up, whilst Tarry's primary local challenger was suspended from the party on the morning of the initial selection. Which does give some clue as to how much better her retail political skills are than the other two.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies