2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:59:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee  (Read 17330 times)
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »

No surprise, but the 8-1 plan appears to be a go

Disappointing, but not surprising.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2021, 12:00:10 PM »

I still think they're asking for trouble down the road by doing this. Let's see what happens.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »

An interesting factor that helps the TN legislature push for this map is the current gerrymander cracking Nashville suburbs with rural areas.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »

I still think they're asking for trouble down the road by doing this. Let's see what happens.
It's easy to do a 4-way split, and have the most Democrat district in the area be R+18 or more. That probably wouldn't be competitive for some time. All that matters is that it holds for the next decade.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »

Can’t say I blame them, sucks though
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2021, 12:37:56 PM »

An interesting factor that helps the TN legislature push for this map is the current gerrymander cracking Nashville suburbs with rural areas.

I wouldn't really call the current map a gerrymander.  Unless you actually split Nashville for that purpose, it wouldn't be possible to draw two Democratic or competitive districts in Middle Tennessee.

A hypothetical "ultimate suburban" district containing Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, and either Maury or Sumner would easily be Trump +25.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2021, 12:53:15 PM »

I wouldn't really call the current map a gerrymander.  Unless you actually split Nashville for that purpose, it wouldn't be possible to draw two Democratic or competitive districts in Middle Tennessee.

A hypothetical "ultimate suburban" district containing Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, and either Maury or Sumner would easily be Trump +25.
It had 0 partisan effect under this decade but the idea was a rural bounceback would happen
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »

Here's to hoping they hired the NEGOP to draw their maps.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »

So would you guys fall out of your chairs if Nashville was somehow kept intact? I probably wouldn't, since today's articles stated that even the chair of the local Republican Party in Nashville didn't think that would happen (he thought that the district would at most cede Dickson County to other districts).
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »

So would you guys fall out of your chairs if Nashville was somehow kept intact? I probably wouldn't, since today's articles stated that even the chair of the local Republican Party in Nashville didn't think that would happen (he thought that the district would at most cede Dickson County to other districts).
The ideal TN-05 sheds Dickson and Cheatham, which go into TN-07. My version of it pulls in the MinMaj town of La Vergne from Rutherford County and also pulls in the other half of Goodlettsville from Sumner.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:10 PM »

Not really, we've gotten mixed signals on it all along, and Wasserman said in later tweets that some strategists expressed concern over this, and this is still just a draft, if a certain representative doesn't like how the draft carved up Nashville, then we go back to the drawing board. I've always though it'd happen more likely than not, but few things are certain when redrawing, I give it 80-20 odds.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »

Another 8R-1D map I made. DesJarlais moves to the 5th district, but all over incumbents besides Cooper obviously are in there same numbered districts. Nashville is sliced into 4 seats. All districts are safe.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b8bc61f5-47e9-4a6c-8629-ae62c8da10ce

ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »

Another 8R-1D map I made. DesJarlais moves to the 5th district, but all over incumbents besides Cooper obviously are in there same numbered districts. Nashville is sliced into 4 seats. All districts are safe.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b8bc61f5-47e9-4a6c-8629-ae62c8da10ce

I think DesJarlais might still try to run in the 4th in a map like that.  It's most of the familiar voters to him, and I think it's likely he'd lose a primary in that 5th to a Williamson County/Suburban Nashville Republican.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2021, 07:56:18 AM »

Just another generic 3 way Nashville crack based on the 2020 election.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/4c360299-7d7f-47d4-a0bb-91d474e55207
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »

ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2021, 11:07:45 PM »

It's a moot hypothetical, but I really don't think DesJarlais would run in that 4th.  He'd moreso be double-bunked with Rose in the 6th.  Rutherford County has always been his weak spot in GOP Primaries, and I really think he'd struggle in the primary of a Williamson-Rutherford-Wilson district.

If it stays 7-2, I can't see that drastic of a change to Middle Tennessee happening.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

I think by the time trends start catching up and both Nashville districts are bordering on competitivity, the 2030 redistricting will come around and the TNGOP will gerrymander accordingly, probably putting Nashville back into one district to have a 7-2 map instead of risking a 6-3 map. Or they could break Nashville up into several districts so its voting power is very diluted and meaningless. It also depends on how they split it up; many who've posted here have created maps where Nashville is not split into two but rather three or four different districts, thus destroying any chance of any of the Nashville districts to be competitive. And since the VRA isn't being explicitly violated (no race-based gerrymander), I doubt the court would care all that much. They don't do much about race-based gerrymandering as it is, and they care even less about blatant partisan gerrymandering. But despite my not knowing how it's possible, I really hope you are correct inthat the TNGOP faces karma for their actions. One would think they'd be content with a 7-2 map, but no!: they want an 8-1 map. Just wow at how greedy they are.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »

Any chance of a 4-way split being successfully challenged in court or is Tennessee gonna get away with this horsesh**t?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »

Mark Green is one of the most partisan members of Congress.  Why would he show Cooper the map?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »

Mark Green is one of the most partisan members of Congress.  Why would he show Cooper the map?

Green opposes 8-1 because he's annoyed that he no longer gets to represent the Republican donors in Williamson County

Then he can carpetbag to Williamson.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2021, 07:40:25 AM »

Someone noted that map is just Dave Wasserman's from a few months ago.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2021, 08:57:26 AM »

Any chance of a 4-way split being successfully challenged in court or is Tennessee gonna get away with this horsesh**t?

This wouldn't involve any VRA districts and the state courts are now dominated by Republican appointees. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »

https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/12/07/democrats-cry-foul-on-redistricting/

Just some legislative insider politics. IIRC Rs let Dems draw the 2010 state house districts for Davidson County.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2021, 07:41:10 PM »

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2021/12/08/jim-cooper-heres-what-happens-if-legislature-slices-up-nashville/6424567001/
A theory making the rounds is that any slice of Nashville will be so indigestible that Republican officials are gagging at the thought, like eating anchovy pizza. But guess what: they would still get solidly Republican districts, although winnable by only 15 points instead of 30. That’s still near-certain victory. A sweetener is that their worries of being primaried diminish.

Cooper really should not frame it this way.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2021, 07:49:58 PM »

https://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/2021/12/08/jim-cooper-heres-what-happens-if-legislature-slices-up-nashville/6424567001/
A theory making the rounds is that any slice of Nashville will be so indigestible that Republican officials are gagging at the thought, like eating anchovy pizza. But guess what: they would still get solidly Republican districts, although winnable by only 15 points instead of 30. That’s still near-certain victory. A sweetener is that their worries of being primaried diminish.

Cooper really should not frame it this way.

IDK it's lowkey one of the bigger 2026/30 risks either party is taking if they go through with it.  Imagine if TN of all places ended up 5R/4D after a midterm wave!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies