2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:04:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Tennessee  (Read 17309 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2022, 11:43:04 AM »

Map was signed by the Gov.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2022, 05:54:01 PM »

Suprised no one has pointed this out but isn't this map illegal because district 2 is discontinous.

Not really for any partisan reasons, it could easily be made continous with the rest of the map barely being impacted, but just pointing it out.

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »

Suprised no one has pointed this out but isn't this map illegal because district 2 is discontinous.

Not really for any partisan reasons, it could easily be made continous with the rest of the map barely being impacted, but just pointing it out.

I thought even the TNGOP wouldn't be so sloppy that they don't even keep the districts contiguous. Still, as you said, it won't do anything because if necessary the TNGOP can just move those nonconnected pieces over to the district they're surrounded by (probably won't change deviation much at all).
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2022, 03:47:06 PM »

When you forget to use contiguity check on DRA before submitting your map:
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »

That exact arrangement is already in force in the 2010s map.  Loudon County, TN technically has some tiny exclaves, which causes the issue.  A statute puts those exclaves in TN-3, regardless of what it looks like:
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2022, 09:31:37 PM »

That exact arrangement is already in force in the 2010s map.  Loudon County, TN technically has some tiny exclaves, which causes the issue.  A statute puts those exclaves in TN-3, regardless of what it looks like:

A county?!
I thought non contiguous precincts were bad.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2022, 06:44:37 AM »

A county?!
I thought non contiguous precincts were bad.

Georgia has like three non contiguous counties
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2022, 08:13:48 AM »

Contiguity requirements are a matter of state law. And I think the rules vary. County dis-contiguity is uncommon but municipal dis-contiguity I see often, particularly fragments of towns, after the heart of a town has been swallowed up by a city.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2022, 11:16:03 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 11:21:26 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2022/02/23/tennessee-sued-over-state-house-senate-redistricting-maps/9245414002/

Lawsuit based on county provisions for legislative districts. Not sure how much basis it has.  Dems could also try their luck in the state senate for another black majority state senate seat in Memphis using the VRA(current map is 3 Safe D, 2 Safe R in the cluster, fair map would be 3 Safe D , 1 tossup by 2020 presidential numbers and 1 Safe R and 4 black majority means 4 Safe D seats.)

Technically its also barely possible for 5 black majority districts
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2022, 11:25:50 PM »

Contiguity requirements are a matter of state law. And I think the rules vary. County dis-contiguity is uncommon but municipal dis-contiguity I see often, particularly fragments of towns, after the heart of a town has been swallowed up by a city.

Nationally districts have to be contiguous by land though, with the only exception being Islands or when there's clear road/ferry/transit between points A and B (i.e. if Satan Island were attatched to lower Manhattan).

I could be wrong but County Contiguity isn't valid on the Congressional level.

Like think about how much uproar a hypothetical 5-1 Louisiana map if it tried to justify continuity with St. Martin Parish. This is the same thing, just on a much smaller scale as these precincts/blocks are tiny and have very few people, and don't affect the overall map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2022, 11:26:26 PM »

Nationally districts have to be contiguous by land though, with the only exception being Islands or when there's clear road/ferry/transit between points A and B (i.e. if Satan Island were attatched to lower Manhattan).

No such requirements ?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2022, 11:29:37 PM »

No such requirements ?

I could be wrong but I thought contiguity was settled law in the most general sense (i.e Dems couldn't attach the Maryland Panhandle or the penninsula with a seperate random chunk of deep blue precincts outside DC). Ik some states have additional stricter rules
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2022, 11:34:58 PM »

No such requirements ?

I could be wrong but I thought contiguity was settled law in the most general sense (i.e Dems couldn't attach the Maryland Panhandle or the penninsula with a seperate random chunk of deep blue precincts outside DC). Ik some states have additional stricter rules

No as far I understand it probably has to do with VRA districts. Basically a VRA distrift should be contigious otherwise it violates the 14th.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2022, 11:39:08 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 11:43:49 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

No such requirements ?

No as far I understand it probably has to do with VRA districts. Basically a VRA distrift should be contigious otherwise it violates the 14th.

So it's more of an unwritten rule then that just no one has bothered breaking? Like hypothetically that'd make it extremely easy to gerrymander by just putting all of your opponent's strongest precincts in 1 district.

If not I guarantee you there will be a supreme court case over this in my lifetime
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2022, 07:52:06 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 08:42:13 AM by Torie »

District contiguity of not I believe is a matter of state law. Not all states require bridge or ferry or land connections. There is no point debating this further absent someone providing citations when they have time.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2022, 03:13:07 PM »

District contiguity of not I believe is a matter of state law. Not all states require bridge or ferry or land connections. There is no point debating this further absent someone providing citations when they have time.
That would not surprise me, if it was a matter of state law. American states can vary immensely in their redistricting laws.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »

Check out my legal under current SCOTUS map!

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2022, 12:01:37 AM »

Crafty gerrymander. But I doubt that the destruction of a black seat like this, especially one that is so obvious to draw, would withstand litigation.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2022, 12:38:20 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/bb769187-c924-4130-9939-5281a6e3590c
Clean 8R-1D map
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2022, 12:01:03 PM »

Crafty gerrymander. But I doubt that the destruction of a black seat like this, especially one that is so obvious to draw, would withstand litigation.
At least five SCOTUS justices believe the VRA doesn't apply to redistricting.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2023, 01:53:20 PM »

A Racial Gerrymandering lawsuit has been filed against the Congressional map concerning Nashville (the former district 5) and State Senate lines in the Memphis region.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2023, 02:02:34 PM »

https://www.lawyerscommittee.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/TN-Complaint-final.pdf
Here is a link to the PDF of the complaint itself.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »

Before anyone gets excited,  the senate section of this particular lawsuit literally just concerns the numbering policy (and therefore what year the seats are up) in Nashville areas senate seats.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies