What is your favourite state of Mexico?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:59:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What is your favourite state of Mexico?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your favourite state of Mexico?
Aguascalientes

Baja California

Baja California Sur

Campeche

Chiapas

Chihuahua

Coahuila

Colima

Durango

Guanajuato

Guerrero

Hidalgo

Jalisco

Mexico

Michoacan

Morelos

Nayarit

Nuevo Leon

Oaxaca

Puebla

Queretaro

Quintana Roo

San Luis Potosi

Sinaloa

Sonora

Tabasco

Tamaulipas

Tlaxcala

Veracruz

Yucatan

Zacatecas

DF

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What is your favourite state of Mexico?  (Read 6087 times)
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »

states are numbered in alphabetical order.

It's your choose.
The India, and Pakistan thread inspired me.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:37:21 PM »

Whichever one contains the least Mexicans.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:38:02 PM »

Quintana Roo... that's where Cancun is.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:46:21 PM »

My favorite state for Mexico would be "non-existant".
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:48:59 PM »

My favorite state for Mexico would be "non-existant".
Guess I should have changed it to "provinces" then.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 09:57:57 PM »

I've been to Sonora and no others, so I'll go with Sonora.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:22:03 PM »

You mean Mexico's ever in states other than disease-ridden and poor? Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 11:01:23 PM »

New Mexico
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:31:16 PM »

fuck you guys! I'm making a serious thread, and trying to post better, and you treat me like this!
This is what I get for trying to be constructive.
No one's bashing the India or Pakistan threads.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 11:47:03 PM »

Yes, of course. Actually, "disease-ridden" is not an appropriate description these days: Mexican life expectancy is well over 70 years (and approaching 80 years for women) - just a few years behind the US and other developed countries (and above what it was there even 25 years ago). Mexico's number one health prolem these days is the same as in the US - obesity, especially among children.  And few places in the world can boast better climate than Mexican heartland.

Of course, poverty is common (especially rural poverty), and much of Mexico is simply woefully disorganized. Still, you can find a lot of very nice provincial towns (including the midsize provincial capitals) with very decent quality of life. I would nominate the city of Queretaro as an example of an affluent, clean, safe, and very livable midsize town.  Another very livable place (though, unlike Queretaro, not touristy or pretty) is the capital of the Veracruz State, the city of Jalapa. 

I myself wold go with my adopted hometown of Mexico City - but I simply can't imagine living in a metropolitan area of less than 10 mln. people.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 11:49:45 PM »

Yes, of course.
I know, I was just messing around with KP.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 03:25:13 AM »

Oaxaca, Chiapas and the Federal District (Mexico City)

I hate Aguascaliente the most.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 06:45:38 PM »

fuck you guys! I'm making a serious thread, and trying to post better, and you treat me like this!
[/quote]

chill, low rider. 

Of the 21 I have visited, I like chiapas best.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »

chill, low rider. 

Of the 21 I have visited, I like chiapas best.
[/quote]

Did you get to smoke some chiba with Subcomandante Marcos? Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 07:02:24 AM »

Which one is the best for hookers?  And I'm not joking.

I have only been to the Yucatan provinces, and they seemed very nice, except for Cancun.  I voted Veracruz, as Xalapa (Jalapa?) sounds nice - cool weather, university town.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 03:12:50 PM »

Guanajuato because while ive never visited a Mexican province (though I do want to someday), its the one that sounded the coolest. Kiki
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »

What do the names mean in English?
Can you tell us a little about each one?
Which one is the most liberal?
etc
I have only been to Mexico once, so I hardly feel like I know enough to vote here.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »

Then if I had to I'd pick that one, otherwise Mexico is crap.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »

I tried clicking enter but it said "You must enter one option". Sad
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 07:49:49 PM »

What do the names mean in English?
Can you tell us a little about each one?
Which one is the most liberal?
etc
I have only been to Mexico once, so I hardly feel like I know enough to vote here.

Hey, there are 32 of them (including the federal district). Like in the U.S. about half the names are native, so translating them would be tough. Let me give it a try:

1. Aguascalientes (Hot Waters) - a small state in central Mexico, entirely dominated by the state capital of the same name. Has the fewest natives of any state in the country.

2. Baja California (Lower California - to distinguish from the Alta (or Nueva) California - the Upper (or New) California, which you know as California). Mostly desert and expensive ugly cities. State capital (Mexicali) has the largest traditional Chinese community in the country. Tijuana is dreadful, but, apparently, has a very lively contemporary art scene - if you know where to find it. Ensenada is a nice university town and port, very Californian, though poorer. Best winemaking in Mexico in the near the U.S. border. Ruled by the right (was PAN's first governorship, and PAN still governs it), though PRI is making a comeback (they now have Tijuana mayoralty).

3. Baja California Sur (Southern Lower California) - the Southern chunk of the Californian peninsula, loped of Baja California. Very sparse population (smallest of any Mexican state), mostly deserts and missions, resorts in the far south (Los Cabos). Ruled by the left (PRD), but entirely insignificant politically.

4. Campeche (native name). The southeastern chunk of the Yucatan penisnula. Historic walled old town Campeche (the only major walled town in Mexico) - UNESCO World Heritage Site. Mayan ruins (and Mayan natives) and oil - a lot of it.

5. Chiapas (native name). Actually, culturally this is Guatemala, not Mexico, but for obscure reasons it stayed a part of Mexico post-independence. The poorest state in Mexico (though still far richer than Guatemala), 40% of the population is native (Mayan). Colonial town of Sant Cristobal and the ruins in Palenque are main attractions. State capital Tuxtla Gutierrez - modern and boring. Quite criminal along the border and out of control of the government in parts (Zapatistas). By the way, Zapatistas have come out vehemently against the political left (PRD and Lopez Obrador).

6. Chihuahua (native name). Largest (territorially) state. Apparently, the state capital (Chihuahua) has lots of good late nineteenth-century architecture, while the Chihuahua to Los Mochis railroad through the copper canyon is a major tourist attraction (as well as the only rail route still in daily operation in the country).  The largest city, Ciudad Juarez, on the U.S. border is deadly ugly and boring (though there are some missions), but I would say that it is less ugly or boring than El Paso on the U.S. side of the border. Lots of crime, industrial plants, etc. Was an early stronghold of PAN (Cd. Juarez and Chihuahua were the earliest PAN major mayoralties in 1983, and in 1986 PAN was swindled out of what would have been their first governorhip - they took it in 1992), but PRI has managed to recover and now governs.

I will continue in the next post.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 08:11:52 PM »

7. Coahuila (native name) - formerly known as Coahuila y Texas (that is, Texas used to be a part of Coahuila). State capital (Saltillo) used to be the major city of northern Mexico, and is (probably) the region's only pleasant colonial city.

8. Colima (native name, comes from the name of a large volcano that dominates the state and also shared by the state capital).  A small state on the coast (though the state capital is in the hills). Manzanillo is a big resort. Some interesting arqueological finds (mainly small scale). Some polls have it as the happiest state in Mexico.

9. Durango (native name). A large landlocked state in a semi-desert. State capital has some important colonial constructions and, I believe, some Westerns were shot there. Can't say much more about it.

10. Guanajuato (native name). Mexico's heartland, on the Bajio plateau. The state capital is a small (some 100 thousand residents) and very beautiful colonial formerly silver mining and now university town (the local math center is preeminent in Mexico, if not in Latin America). Though living there might be somewhat difficult (I've been told municipal services are mediocre), this is a tourist's paradise. Nearby Leon is, probably, the country's fourth largest city (1.5 mln. people), while the Bajio International Airport between them is a major transit hub. San Miguel Allende (an hour from Guanajuato) is the capital of Gringo Mexico (sometimes it seems that most residents are American artists and retirees). Dolores Hidalgo is the birthplace of Mexico's independence (that's where the independence was proclaimed by padre Hidalgo in 1810). There are a number of other important colonial cities (Salamanca, Moroleon, Irapuato). A thorough PAN stronghold on all levels (its first non-PRI governor was the now president Vicente Fox).

11. Guerrero ("Fighter" - I think it is named in honor of an independence war hero of that last name). A state of contrasts. Acapulco is large, wealthy and poluted resort and port (Mexico City's access to the Pacific). Taxco is a most delightful silver town - a must for any tourist in Mexico.  Nearby Ixcateopan is the birthplace of the last Aztec Emperor and as such is somewhat important as a mystical symbol of "Mexicanity", though not very interesting otherwise. Important caves. Can't say much about the state capital (Chilpancingo). At the same time, this is the state with the poorest and least developed villages in Mexico (many of these inhabited by Mexicans of African origin - the state has the largest "African Mexican" community). Has been a PRI stronghold until the last year, but has now fallen to PRD on all levels - PRD's biggest recent gain.

7. Hidalgo (literally "nobleman", but named in honor of the father of Mexico's independence, padre Miguel Hidalgo). The south of this state has now become suburbs of Mexico City. A rather gritty industrial state, for the most  part, but the monasteries in Ixmiquilpan, Actopan and Epazoyucan have some of the most striking early colonial (almost syncretic) art in Mexico (the fresoes in Ixmiquilpan depicting the battles between Aztecs and the Spaniards drawn by native artists are really incredible). The ruins of the old Toltec capital Tula are also in the state. Some pleasant mining towns northeast of the state capital (Pachuca). In addition, the state has a sizeable British (Welsh-Cornish?) population, accounting for the local culinary specialty: (cornish) pasties (both traditional and with all sorts of chile and mole fillings)!!

Have to run now - will finish later.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 01:19:28 AM »

Continuing

13. Jalisco (the name is derived from the Spanish province of Galicia - Jalisco  was part of the province of Nueva Galicia in colonial times). Guadalajara is Mexico's second largest city (nearly 4 mln. people, including suburbs) - a major industrial, university and cultural center. The suburbs of Tlaquepaque and Tonala are important artisan (ceramics) centers. The suburb of Zapopan is a very important Catholic pilgrimage site. South of Guadalajara on the shores of lake Chapala (the largest lake in Mexico) is the Gringoland - Chapala, Ajijic and other American retirement communities. The source of tequila (Tequila itself is a town a couple of hours away from Guadalajara). Major resort in Puerto Vallarta. More or less safely PAN land, though with some resurgence by PRI.

14. Mexico State (native name; Mexico - pronounced Meshiko - was the self-designation of  the Aztecs). The largest state in Mexico (over 15 mln. people), surrounding Mexico city on 3 sides. Generally, PRI land, though the rich Mexico City suburbs vote PAN and the poor suburbs vote PRD. The state capital Toluca is large, but rather nondescript, owing its prominence to being designated the state capital in the 19th century, though has a few nice museums and a large post-independence cathedral. It is also the highest state capital in Mexico (over 2600 meters above sea level - 400 meters above Mexico City) - it snows there almost every winter. A lot of Mexican industrial base was born and died in this state, though these days there is again some resurgence of industrial production. The great pyramids of Teotihuacan are here and many smaller arqueological cites dot the state, as do the numerous colonial convents. In the far west there are nature reserves and Mexico City wealthy playgrounds like Valle del Bravo.  In the east, on the border with Puebla and Morelos the Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl volcanoes dominate the Mexico Valley.  A much too diverse state to even try to describe in one paragraph.

I guess, I am tired - tomorrow or next week I will finish.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 02:05:16 AM »

Fascinating stuff, ag.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 06:25:22 AM »

You're an idiot, Jedi - Mexico is cool, but Cancun is so crappy it is like being in Florida.

I remember when I visited Cancun, it was after a monthlong trip through Guatemala and the Yucatan - Cancun seemed like such a hellhole it was like being home again already.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 08:37:16 AM »

You're an idiot, Jedi - Mexico is cool, but Cancun is so crappy it is like being in Florida.

I remember when I visited Cancun, it was after a monthlong trip through Guatemala and the Yucatan - Cancun seemed like such a hellhole it was like being home again already.

I love Florida so I'd love Cancun then. I don't care about what you like Opebo becaue most of the forum and world doesn't agree with you so STFU because you're starting to annoy me more lately.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies