Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:55:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 132262 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: March 14, 2020, 04:46:13 PM »

Unity government is happening. Expect news tomorrow night.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1001 on: March 14, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2020, 04:58:22 PM by Oryxslayer »

Temporary for Corona or long term? If long term, it begs the question of the immunity law, the hypothetical law barring indited people from govt, and what happens when Bibi ties to fight back in the future.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1002 on: March 14, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »

Temporary for Corona or long term? If long term, it begs the question of the immunity law, the hypothetical law barring indited people from govt, and what happens when Bibi ties to fight back in the future.
Temporary to become permanent. Yesh Attid and Telem might not join in.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1003 on: March 14, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »

So it's not an actual unity government but just the Bibi Bloc with Gantz thrown in? He'd be an utter cretin to accept, and any leftist who voted KL a fool.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1004 on: March 14, 2020, 05:21:26 PM »

So it's not an actual unity government but just the Bibi Bloc with Gantz thrown in? He'd be an utter cretin to accept, and any leftist who voted KL a fool.

If Gantz/Hosen L'Yisrael somehow vanished into thin air, where would their MKs go? By which I mean: where are they ideologically, if anywhere at all?
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #1005 on: March 14, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »

at the end, it's always bibi who wins...
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1006 on: March 14, 2020, 07:01:29 PM »

Any leftist who voted KL is a fool regardless lmao

(Note that voting for KL itself is very different from simply wanting Gantz to be PM instead of Bibi)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1007 on: March 14, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

Any leftist who voted KL is a fool regardless lmao

(Note that voting for KL itself is very different from simply wanting Gantz to be PM instead of Bibi)

A lot of people who normally support Labor or Meretz voted tactically KL in the last two elections to ensure it finished ahead of Likud. I wouldn't have done that myself but I understand the rationale.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1008 on: March 14, 2020, 07:11:30 PM »

I'm sick of it. I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of it.

("it" is defending this country)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1009 on: March 14, 2020, 07:22:45 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 02:47:46 AM by Parrotguy »

Three things are happening:
Bibi heavily promoting the "emergency unity government"
Bibi's trial officially delayed indefinitely due to the justice system shutting down
Bibi has announced that counterterrorist monitoring methods might be used to ensure isolation, ala Taiwan.

Combine all three, and I fear our democracy has never been so imperiled. If Hendel-Hauser have an ounce of caring about democracy left, they'll endorse a minority government. Gantz needs to make it clear that Netanyahu is the one blocking a fair unity government and get a minority emergency government going.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1010 on: March 14, 2020, 09:10:58 PM »

Right back atcha.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1011 on: March 15, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »

Netanyahu's Minister of Justice announced in the middle of the night, after all newspapers went into print, that the justice system will be frozen, and oops... Netanyahu's trial is postponed. Litzman tried to get the Yeshivahs exempted from the order for education institutions to close, because he's EVERYONE'S health minister.
I'd rather have a thousand anti Zionists propping a democratic government from outside at this point. Just replace it asap.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1012 on: March 15, 2020, 04:12:15 AM »

By the way, we've also seen one important contrast between other leaders, who are trying to tell their citizens to be cautious and understand the seriousness but also calm them, and Netanyahu. This man has been appearing on national television primetime every day, making sure none of the new restrictions are announced before that, and giving long, confused speeches that make people confused about the new restrictions, but most importantly- use the harshest and most apocalyptic scare language. This is classic authoritarian tactics. I fear that the Coronavirus might be a national emergency, but Netanyahu is an even worse national emergency. Who says he won't start using counterterrorist laws to arrest dissenters in the next emergency because it's "the need of the hour" (the same words Minister Yariv Levin used to tell the President he needs to give Netanyahu the mandate- regardless of recommendations)? Before anyone tells me I'm being hyperbolic, I'd say the same to anyone who'd claim that Netanyahu will use a pandemic to save himself from trial and monitor everyone, so I no longer believe there's anything he won't do. History will judge Hendel and Hauser.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1013 on: March 15, 2020, 05:06:55 AM »

Nope. Balad is endorsing Gantz to form a government. So he will have a majority that Rivlin cannot constitutionally bypass. He'll have a month with the mandate to get Handel and Hauser on board, or at least force out Edelstein. I'd say it's probably 50-50 at this point. If Bibi's 1:00 am trial delay isn't enough to get the ball over the line, I'm not sure what is.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1014 on: March 15, 2020, 05:08:38 AM »

By the way, we've also seen one important contrast between other leaders, who are trying to tell their citizens to be cautious and understand the seriousness but also calm them, and Netanyahu. This man has been appearing on national television primetime every day, making sure none of the new restrictions are announced before that, and giving long, confused speeches that make people confused about the new restrictions, but most importantly- use the harshest and most apocalyptic scare language. This is classic authoritarian tactics. I fear that the Coronavirus might be a national emergency, but Netanyahu is an even worse national emergency. Who says he won't start using counterterrorist laws to arrest dissenters in the next emergency because it's "the need of the hour" (the same words Minister Yariv Levin used to tell the President he needs to give Netanyahu the mandate- regardless of recommendations)? Before anyone tells me I'm being hyperbolic, I'd say the same to anyone who'd claim that Netanyahu will use a pandemic to save himself from trial and monitor everyone, so I no longer believe there's anything he won't do. History will judge Hendel and Hauser.

Let's wait until Handel and Hauser vote against (and not just abstain) a Gantz government before villainizing them too much.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1015 on: March 15, 2020, 05:14:42 AM »

Let's wait until Handel and Hauser vote against (and not just abstain) a Gantz government before villainizing them too much.

What I'm saying is that if they prevent a minority government they'll be judged by history.
Also yeah- the Joint List just recommended Gantz, Balad "opposed any recommendation but accepted the decision of the majority". This means that if Lieberman does endorse Gantz, he should get the mandate.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1016 on: March 15, 2020, 05:15:58 AM »

It seems highly unlikely that a unity government can he formed. One, the Joint List just unanimously gave their support for Gantz to the president. Two, it is an open question whether Bibi can lawfully form a government, and if the courts are suspended it will take a while to sort out the answer to it. It's not a given that Bibi can be PM again even if he gets a unity deal. Three, Gantz is shooting bullets this morning. A minority government seems more likely than a unity government right now, and right now neither seem hugely likely. It'll probably just he drama until Bibi gets the fourth election he wants.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1017 on: March 15, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 06:27:35 AM by Walmart_shopper »

What I'm saying is that if they prevent a minority government they'll be judged by history.
Also yeah- the Joint List just recommended Gantz, Balad "opposed any recommendation but accepted the decision of the majority". This means that if Lieberman does endorse Gantz, he should get the mandate.

Yeah, I understand. I'm just saying that we don't actually know that they will foil a minority government. They want Bibi out as badly as anyone, and maybe moreso. And a fourth election looks worse and worse, so don't count them out.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1018 on: March 15, 2020, 05:20:07 AM »

Also, Odeh to the President: "we all agree that the Jewish people have a right of self recognition, but we're also a national group with rights". Odeh is really leading the JL into a more non-Zionist rather than anti-Zionist direction.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1019 on: March 15, 2020, 05:21:14 AM »

Why is any leftist who voted for KL a fool? Gantz is the best shot at ousting Bibi that we've had in a long time, and hia political instincts are generally pretty good (much better than Labior, by the way). You're burying KL even though they've done everything right since election day. Be patient, man. Nobody but Orly Levy is selling anyone out.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1020 on: March 15, 2020, 05:24:53 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2020, 06:28:13 AM by Walmart_shopper »

Also, Odeh to the President: "we all agree that the Jewish people have a right of self recognition, but we're also a national group with rights". Odeh is really leading the JL into a more non-Zionist rather than anti-Zionist direction.

Because Israeli Arabs are moving int a less anti-Zionist direction. Contrary to the hate-mongering incitement on the right, Arabs do care about the State of Israel and do value their Jewish neighbors. They just don't want to have their minoriry status used as a weapon and crammed down their throats every legislative session. Finally Arabs are learning to stand next to Jews and not behind them.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1021 on: March 15, 2020, 06:16:30 AM »

Lieberman will meet Rivlin in a few hours and give his recommendation. The sense has been that he would recommend Gantz, but that was before the Corona shutdown and his call for a KL-Likud unity government. The Yvette thing to do would be to recommend nobody and preach for a minute abiyt unity (what he did in September). If he does that this time, though, he may have lost his best shot at democratically unseating Netanyahu and we'll either wind up with new elections or some stupid unity thing. If he recommends Gantz, on the other hand, Gantz will receive the mandate and we could be close to a leftist minority government.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #1022 on: March 15, 2020, 06:24:20 AM »

Wow. This is revolutionary
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1023 on: March 15, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »

Wow. This is revolutionary
That has been Hadash platform since 1980's, and I don't think Tibi or Raam would oppose this statement.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1024 on: March 15, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »

YB recommends Gantz. The whiplash on govt formation round 3 continues to surpass rounds 1 and 2.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies