Which US region had the best presidents?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:48:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which US region had the best presidents?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which US region had the best presidents?
Northeast(Adams,QAdams,Buren,Fillmore,Pierce,Buchanan,Arthur,Cleveland,TR,Wilson,Coolidge,FDR,JFK,Trump)

Midwest(Harrison,Lincoln,Grant,Hayes,Garfield,BHarrison,McKinley,Taft,Harding,Truman,Eisenhower,Ford,Obama)

South(Washington,Jefferson,Madison,Monroe,Jackson,Tyler,Polk,Taylor,AJohnson,LBJ,Carter,Bush,Clinton,WBush)

West(Hoover,Nixon,Reagan)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Which US region had the best presidents?  (Read 510 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »

Thanks wikipedia for the old ones.
Nixon won in 1968 as a New Yorker but most of his life he was from California (and there are very few western presidents).

I thought it would be hard to find space!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »

I don’t despise any Midwestern Presidents really, so probably them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »

Oh man it's so obviously the west.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »

Whichever region Delaware belongs to, because our next POTUS will be the best ever!

In all seriousness, the Midwest, especially Illinois.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »

Eisenhower is Northeastern, he hailed from New York and lived there for quite some time, then moved to Pennsylvania.

Reagan and Hoover [his library is in Iowa for crying out loud] are Midwesterners, and Wilson is a Southerner if we're counting background.

The answer is still the Northeast in spite of Abe's predecessors, Cleveland, and Coolidge.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:31:05 PM »

Eisenhower is Northeastern, he hailed from New York and lived there for quite some time, then moved to Pennsylvania.

Reagan and Hoover [his library is in Iowa for crying out loud] are Midwesterners, and Wilson is a Southerner if we're counting background.

The answer is still the Northeast in spite of Abe's predecessors, Cleveland, and Coolidge.

Lol at Reagan being a Midwesterner , he was a Californian through and through.  He spent almost his entire Adult Life in California, his personality very much represented SoCal more than the Midwest and so on and his politics was far far more representative of SoCal than the Midwest .

Anyway to answer the question this answer is the Midwest

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 01:08:50 AM »

Midwest is best!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:00:08 AM »

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:55 AM »

And obviously, Illinois is the best individual state for Presidents.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »

Einsenhower's home state was Kansas.
Wilson's home state was New Jersey.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »

Einsenhower's home state was Kansas.
Wilson's home state was New Jersey.

Wilson was born in Virginia and grew up largely in Georgia and South Carolina, but lived in New Jersey after 1890, spending most of his adult life there. Similarly, Reagan grew up in Illinois but spent almost his entire adult life in California. They both have roots in multiple regions, but I personally would say that Wilson came from the Northeast and Reagan from the West.

Hoover and Eisenhower are a lot harder to pin down. Eisenhower was born in Texas but spent almost his entire childhood in Kansas. He was technically a resident of New York in 1952 and Pennsylvania in 1956 and had also lived in DC during much of his military career; I think you could make a reasonable argument for him being a Midwesterner or a Northeasterner.

Hoover was born in Iowa but moved to Oregon when he was ~10 and then attended Stanford (in California). He then spent most of his adult life in Asia, Australia, or England before returning to the United States during WW1, when he established homes in California and Washington. So I would probably say that he was a Westerner.

So I guess there are some inconsistencies there, but I agree with all of OP's categorizations. I guess my way of thinking is that if they spent pretty much their entire adult life in a region, they become a part of that region, but otherwise they revert to the region they grew up in.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »

Home state is not birth state. Otherwise, Obama could be considered a western, since he was born in Hawai, and Bush Sr and Bush Jr could be considered northeastern, since the first was born in Massachusetts and the second was born in Connecticuit.

I looked to the home states in Wikipedia, but I agree that Eisenhower's home state should be New York, since he was living in New York in 1952.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »

Wow, the West is trash, 3 of the worst Presidents of all time. Midwest obviously wins, fallowed by the Northeast, than South.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »

I voted northeast.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 12:09:15 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2019, 12:14:09 AM by Mangez des pommes ! »

Midwest. The Northeast had some really good ones, but also some horrendous ones (including a shocking number of Slave Power bootlickers, and, well, the current holder of the office). The South had well, too many Slave Power active participants, obviously, as well as too many Clintons and Bushes. The West is thoroughly awful, but obviously small sample size.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 12:24:09 AM »

I voted for the Midwest. My rationale is actually the same as Kingpoleon's (none of the Midwestern Presidents inspire blind rage in me, although there are plenty I disapprove of), even though he and I sharply disagree on the merits of some individual Presidents.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 01:47:49 AM »

I voted for the Midwest. My rationale is actually the same as Kingpoleon's (none of the Midwestern Presidents inspire blind rage in me, although there are plenty I disapprove of), even though he and I sharply disagree on the merits of some individual Presidents.
Lincoln, Grant, and Eisenhower are just objectively good Presidents. To a lesser extent, so were Ford, Truman, Taft, and Obama.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 05:23:24 AM »

Lincoln, Grant, and Eisenhower are just objectively good Presidents. To a lesser extent, so were Ford, Truman, Taft, and Obama.

Um no not even close , just look at almost every historical ranking and grading of the Presidents and Grant comes out mediocre at best. The fact is his administration was very corrupt , and it was during his second term that reconstruction began to fail and he handled the panic of 1873 terribly.

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »

The midwest is winning a landslide!

Wilson, the 2 Roosevelts and JFK are usually recognized as good presidents, but the pre-Civil War presidents and Trump may be hurting the northeast!
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2019, 01:10:12 PM by Orser67 »

Wilson, the 2 Roosevelts and JFK are usually recognized as good presidents, but the pre-Civil War presidents and Trump may be hurting the northeast!

Three three bottom five presidents (Pierce, Buchanan, Trump) and a bunch of mediocrities kill the Northeast for me, even though FDR is great and there are a few other good ones. Whereas the only big negative in the Midwest is Harding.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies