The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:03:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165391 times)
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« on: April 07, 2020, 11:44:28 AM »

To be fair, do Pompeo or Liz Cheney have either?  Although it's obvious Rubio's moment has come and gone, I'm confused as why they are considered serious 2024 candidates.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »

Apparently, back in February, at CPAC, Scott Walker said another presidential run for him was possible:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/former-gop-gov-scott-walker-floats-potential-2024-2028-presidential-bid-at-cpac

When asked whether he would run for president again, he said: “Never say never—I don’t know about 2024, but 2028—yeah, at some point. I’ve got plenty of time.”

Huh, I didn't know Walker attended CPAC.  But it's not happening unless he wins a rematch with Evers,  which is unlikely.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 06:14:15 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2020, 06:17:37 PM by AntiCommunistsche Aktion »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/12/larry-hogan-2024-republicans-358051

As rumors swirl that Larry Hogan is eyeing a run for president in 2024, the Republican governor of Maryland has some advice for the post-Trump GOP: Be more like me.

“I don't know what the future holds in November, but I know that the Republican Party is going to be looking at what happens after President [Donald] Trump and whether that's in four months or four years,” Hogan said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

That, Hogan argued, should include becoming more inclusive.

“I think they're going to be looking to, ‘How do we go about becoming a bigger tent party?’” he told host Chuck Todd.

Hogan pointed to his 2018 reelection as the model, when he won in Maryland, a deeply Democratic state by twelve points. He also cited the fact he won votes from suburban women, Democrats and Independents, the latter two groups being groups that appear to have ditched President Trump.

I love this man so much. I don't care if he has minimal chance in a GOP primary. I believe in him, and think he would make an amazing president.

Platitudes about inclusiveness and being a "big tent" party are all well and good, but any presumptive GOP leader has to back it up with a policy platform that is sustainable long term and will actually win an election.  The last thing I want to happen is the party to regress back to 2012 which seems somewhat likely if the nevertrumpers take control of the party again, and arrogantly decide that they control the GOP and any populism should be stamped out.

The GOP reverting back to 2010 suburban support is impossible, and the National Review platform of pro-corporatism and social conservatism is a dead end.  The Nevertrumpers have to understand that their party platform has to evolve to fit a changing world and changing demographics.  Nationalism in a geopolitical sense and pro-worker populist policies is the way forward for the GOP.

Some establishment Republicans understand this-see Rubio supporting Ivanka's parental leave proposal and "common good" capitalism, and the hawkish views on communist China Nikki Haley (and much of the party) have adopted.  This is the path of least resistance for the GOP and will help recover with suburban voters-at least compared to fire-breathing nationalists.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:37 AM »

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/08/11/desantis-squelches-talk-of-a-white-house-run-1307396

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said he plans to run for a second four-year term and expects to make a formal announcement at the end of the year.

He said speculation about a 2024 White House bid was “total garbage" but did not specifically rule out the possibility of a presidential bid.

In an interview, the Republican said it was a “safe assumption” he would run for a second term as governor.

“I’m planning that, I haven’t announced yet, but I think it’s a safe assumption that I will do it,” DeSantis said.

“Any political stuff that you hear along those lines—that is total garbage,” DeSantis said of speculation that he'll mount a White House bid. “It’s not coming from me. I’m just doing a day at a time.”

Hmm...a non-denial-denial. Assuming DeSantis wins reelection, I think he's running in 2024.

I guess the question is would he defer to Marco Rubio or Rick Scott?

Yeah, if DeSantis wins re-election then 95% chance he runs in 2024, unless he takes a backroom deal-perhaps he endorses Rick Scott in exchange for a cabinet position, or he thinks it's a bad GOP cycle and decides to wait until 2028.  I'd honestly be surprised if Rubio won re-election, if he even runs for a third term-losing looks worse than simply not running.

And obviously, it would be unwise politically for a governor with under 2 years on the job to be measuring the curtains in the White House.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:15:23 AM »

Bold of you to assume that she'll be re-elected.

Bold of you to assume that IA senate is a toss up Wink

Tucker Carlson says he has no interest in running for president:

Even if he wanted to, the smartest thing to do in terms of optics would be to dismiss it out of hand- just like DeSantis did (who obviously has more relevant priorities).  Cruz suggesting he'll run in 2024 was a politically poor move- it makes him look opportunist (even moreso than before).

Tucker has indicated multiple times that he loves what he does and doesn't want to leave his day job, not to mention the money.  He'd have to be crazy like a "FOX" to leave his gig.  

And let's kill this stupid conspiracy theory that Don Junior is a viable candidate.  Whatever unique political appeal his dad had isn't hereditary (and was contingent at being at the right place at the right time) , and he doesn't have a political career or a large following.  He has as much of a chance as Dave Reuben or Ann Coulter.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »

Although it will be tough for any 2016 former candidate to get traction 7/8 years later, Christ Christie has the dual benefits of Trump loyalty and a northern moderate vibe.  Hell I'd vote for him.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 07:54:25 AM »

Tim Scott's running.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies