The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165229 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 15, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »

Rick Perry headed to South Carolina next month:

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/politics-government/article254210153.html
JMT

« Reply #1026 on: September 15, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2021, 09:18:25 PM by JMT »

To me, it seems like Elder’s tweet (and the article) are hinting at a possible run for President? Or perhaps a run for a different federal office (Senate)?

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1027 on: September 15, 2021, 10:30:42 PM »

Trump suggests that the USA will cease to exist in 2024, and also dodges the question on whether he’ll run for president of said non-existent country in the same year:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-predicts-america-end-three-years_n_61412c7be4b09519c50b2e02

“And you go to these elections coming up in ’22 and ’24 — we’re not going to have a country left,” Trump said. “The election was rigged, and we’re not going to have a country left in three years, I’ll tell you that.”
However, Spicer did have one last question. After noting that Trump has said he has made a decision about a 2024 run and that his followers would be happy, Spicer asked the former president when he might announce his plans.

Trump avoided a direct answer but promised Spicer he would be happy with the decision and also claimed America is now “a laughingstock.”

At least, that's how I interpret "we’re not going to have a country left in three years", that Trump is saying that the USA will cease to exist.  OTOH, maybe the "we" is just him and Melania, and he's indicating that if he runs in 2024 and loses, the two of them will renounce US citizenship and become stateless pirates.  In that case, they wouldn't have a country anymore, but the rest of us would.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1028 on: September 15, 2021, 11:35:27 PM »

Didn't we get enough of Rick "oops" Perry in 2012 and 2016?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1029 on: September 16, 2021, 01:37:35 PM »

Trump suggests that the USA will cease to exist in 2024, and also dodges the question on whether he’ll run for president of said non-existent country in the same year:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trump-predicts-america-end-three-years_n_61412c7be4b09519c50b2e02

“And you go to these elections coming up in ’22 and ’24 — we’re not going to have a country left,” Trump said. “The election was rigged, and we’re not going to have a country left in three years, I’ll tell you that.”
However, Spicer did have one last question. After noting that Trump has said he has made a decision about a 2024 run and that his followers would be happy, Spicer asked the former president when he might announce his plans.

Trump avoided a direct answer but promised Spicer he would be happy with the decision and also claimed America is now “a laughingstock.”

At least, that's how I interpret "we’re not going to have a country left in three years", that Trump is saying that the USA will cease to exist.  OTOH, maybe the "we" is just him and Melania, and he's indicating that if he runs in 2024 and loses, the two of them will renounce US citizenship and become stateless pirates.  In that case, they wouldn't have a country anymore, but the rest of us would.

I loathe Trump but "we're not going to have a country anymore" is a relatively common saying in American politics, he's basically just saying that Bide will do such a bad job that the country will be unrecognizable.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1030 on: September 16, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

Trump said the corporate media’s kid gloves treatment of Biden was proof that the country’s news media was corrupt and untrustworthy.

“We don’t have a free press anymore. We have nothing close to a free press. We have a very corrupted press,” he said.

To end the interview, the New York real estate mogul and television celebrity-turned-president demurred when asked whether he planned to run for the presidency again in 2024.

“Well a lot of people want me to, but I won’t be be announcing anything on that until the appropriate time.”
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1031 on: September 16, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »

To me, it seems like Elder’s tweet (and the article) are hinting at a possible run for President? Or perhaps a run for a different federal office (Senate)?

He'll probably run again in 2022 against Newsom and then from there might consider a presidential run if Trump doesn't. Sorry Tim Scott, there's a new prolific black friend for the GOP now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1032 on: September 16, 2021, 10:43:54 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/pence-sets-18-million-fundraising-002336589.html

Mike Pence is positioning himself for a 2024 presidential run by aiming to raise a whopping $18 million this year, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: While polls show Donald Trump as an early Republican favorite, his former vice president also has been making moves to be a candidate. His group, Advancing American Freedom, is shaping up as a vehicle for testing the waters and building the infrastructure needed for a White House bid.
A source familiar with the group's operations told Axios it's aiming to raise $18 million during its first year — a huge sum for a new nonprofit group that doesn't offer its donors a tax break.
If Pence seriously eyes a 2024 run, AAF could provide a platform for pre-campaign activities such as polling and candidate travel. If he enters the race, it could pour a chunk of its funds into a supportive political group.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1033 on: September 17, 2021, 11:38:01 PM »

Now he’s Former Secretary of Energy and “oops” guy Rick Perry
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1034 on: September 17, 2021, 11:39:14 PM »

Pete Ricketts is seeming like he’ll run with his recent moves
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1035 on: September 18, 2021, 01:24:17 PM »

Noem says she’d support Trump in ’24 if he ran again, but dodges on the question of whether she’d run if he doesn’t, simply saying that she’s “focused” on her current job:

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/noem-says-she-would-support-trump-2024

"He was a problem solver, and with the political climate that we have today, we need fighters, so I would support him," she said. "And I think that really we need a leadership change in this country. I am solely focused on being the governor of South Dakota.

"I ran for governor because I love this state, and I want it to be here with my people. So I just want to be able to go to bed every night knowing that I did my job protecting this country and did all that I could to give my kids and my grandkids an opportunity to grow up like I did. I do not want to end my life thinking I got selfish and didn't do my part. And so that's what I'm focused on each and every day."
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1036 on: September 18, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »

Now he’s Former Secretary of Energy and “oops” guy Rick Perry

Secretary of low energy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1037 on: September 18, 2021, 09:04:56 PM »

Melania Trump telling friends she's not interested in being First Lady again.

Former First Lady Melania Trump is not interested in taking back the title, sources told CNN, despite her husband dangling the possibility of another Trump campaign over his supporters.

"Not unlike 2016, Melania Trump has no intention really of joining the campaign," CNN's Kate Bennett said on Sunday. "I've spoken to people who said that she's not even really interested in being in the White House again, going through being first lady again."

Several of Melania Trump's friends told the outlet she has no interest in returning the White House, let alone helping if her husband decides to run.

Former President Donald Trump has not yet said if he plans to run in 2024, though he has teased the possibility multiple times, saying his supporters will be "very happy" with his decision.

I see a divorce in the future.

Earlier this week, Politico reported that this marital rift over another run for president is overblown….though it did also say that Melania’s sentiments on another run might actually influence Trump’s decision:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/13/melania-donald-trump-runs-again-511715

As former President Donald Trump criss-crosses the country to push his MAGA brand, his wife Melania Trump has shown little sign that she harbors enthusiasm to dive back into politics. But those close to the family say the former first lady would support her husband should he make another run at the White House.

“if [Trump] runs, she will be right there. She’s not going to have her own rallies,” an adviser said. “But did she ever?”
In the months following her family’s messy exit from the White House, the former first lady has spent her time tucked away at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster clubs with family, occasionally appearing at her husband’s side. Though the former president is widely perceived to operate out of political self-interest, those close to him say his wife could impact his decision to take on the exhausting and very public role of candidate again.

“The only thing that Trump cares about these days is golf and Melania. And if she doesn't want him to run, then it’s going to be pushing a big rock up the hill,” said a person close to Trump.
“I don’t think politics is her thing. She doesn’t like the game.”
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1038 on: September 20, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »

Trump on 2024:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-on-9-11-teases-2024-run

Asked by a police officer if he plans to launch a comeback in 2024, or perhaps run for New York City mayor, Trump responded "that’s a tough question."

But then he said "actually, for me, it's an easy question. I mean, I know what I'm going to do, but I'm not supposed to be talking about it yet from the standpoint of campaign finance laws, which, frankly, are ridiculous."

And the former president, as he’s said numerous times already this year of his potential campaign decision, added that "I think you're going to be happy."

I can't shake the idea that one of the scenarios Trump (and his inner circle, whatever that consists of these days)  may be fishing for is some sort of immense bribe from the GOP in return for his support (aka not guaranteeing they lose - "You've got a good shot at beating Bad Biden, it would be a shame if you let the Democrats steal another Election because you weren't willing to help Me win it for you").

He could, at a minimum, get epic amounts of grift and flattery, along with promises of pardons, jobs for family members and allies, and maybe even an impressive sinecure for himself. And if the GOP nominee loses, he can blame them and keep the grift going that way. ("I would have won, but they wouldn't let me run. Click now to donate your life savings to the Trump Saves The Republic campaign!")
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1039 on: September 20, 2021, 10:25:06 PM »

Crenshaw, at an event last week:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/16/crenshaw-activist-army-511963

“What are we gonna see next, Governor Crenshaw or President Crenshaw?” one attendee asked.

The crowd — hundreds of teenagers and 20-year-old conservatives largely from Texas — went absolutely wild.

“Like a good politician, I have to say Congressman Crenshaw is what you’ll see next,” Crenshaw said. “I don’t know, you know, but to answer that honestly, always will keep options open.”

In other news, Tom Cotton was in Iowa again this weekend:

https://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/2021/09/18/mariannette-miller-meeks-announces-re-election-bid-blasts-joe-biden-tom-cotton-republican-party/8317443002/

And this Fox News story notes that, despite Trump’s large lead in primary polls, prospective GOP candidates are visiting the early primary states in similar numbers to how prospective candidates did 8 years ago, in anticipation of the ’16 nomination race:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-2024-flirting-doesnt-stop-other-republicans-from-visiting-early-voting-states

So far this year there have been ten trips to Iowa by eight potential Republican presidential contenders, the exact same numbers as there were in 2013, at this early point in the wide open GOP nomination race in the 2016 cycle. And four possible GOP White House hopefuls have stopped in New Hampshire so far this year, compared to trips by five potential contenders at this point eight years ago. 

It also notes that Pence is planning some return trips to these early primary states:

Fox News confirms that the former vice president is planning return trips in the coming months to Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. And he recently opened a new office space in the nation’s capital for his non-profit group, Advancing American Freedom, doubled his political and policy team to around 20 people, and added veteran Republican GOP and conservative fundraiser John Fogarty.

It also notes that two prospective 2024 candidates are going to be working on helping Republicans with redistricting:

As Fox News first reported on Thursday, The National Republican Redistricting Trust (NRRT), in an announcement shared first with Fox News, said that former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will serve as national co-chairs of the organization. The NRRT is the Republican Party’s GOP’s primary organization to coordinate the party’s redistricting strategy and build resources for its legal defense.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1040 on: September 20, 2021, 10:53:58 PM »

Crenshaw, at an event last week:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/16/crenshaw-activist-army-511963

“What are we gonna see next, Governor Crenshaw or President Crenshaw?” one attendee asked.

The crowd — hundreds of teenagers and 20-year-old conservatives largely from Texas — went absolutely wild.

“Like a good politician, I have to say Congressman Crenshaw is what you’ll see next,” Crenshaw said. “I don’t know, you know, but to answer that honestly, always will keep options open.”

I wonder if people are sleeping on Crenshaw a bit. He's able to play to the culture wars without coming off as unhinged, but he also outran Trump by double digits in a diverse urban/suburban district.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1041 on: September 21, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/573239-people-close-to-trump-say-he-wants-back-in-national-spotlight-report?rl=1

Journalists Bob Woodward and Robert Costa say they have learned that former President Trump "wants back" into the national spotlight — and the presidency. 

"And you start to hear a certain refrain from people who really know him, that he wants back, that he feels he has the political capital with his core supporters," Costa said Tuesday during an appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "He likes playing golf and he jokes; he's off Twitter and he has more time." 

Trump believes the Republican Party is still very much in his grip, Costa said and that "people are going to war with him at the highest rank of the party."

"And this time, even though there are others out there with ambition like Vice President Pence, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, it's president Trump who really wants back, based on our own reporting," Costa added. 
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #1042 on: September 21, 2021, 08:04:44 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/573239-people-close-to-trump-say-he-wants-back-in-national-spotlight-report?rl=1

Journalists Bob Woodward and Robert Costa say they have learned that former President Trump "wants back" into the national spotlight — and the presidency. 

"And you start to hear a certain refrain from people who really know him, that he wants back, that he feels he has the political capital with his core supporters," Costa said Tuesday during an appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "He likes playing golf and he jokes; he's off Twitter and he has more time." 

Trump believes the Republican Party is still very much in his grip, Costa said and that "people are going to war with him at the highest rank of the party."

"And this time, even though there are others out there with ambition like Vice President Pence, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, it's president Trump who really wants back, based on our own reporting," Costa added. 

Rematch here we come?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1043 on: September 21, 2021, 10:53:39 PM »

Pompeo was in Iowa this weekend, and was asked about 2024:

https://www.kcci.com/article/mike-pompeo-visits-iowa-again-doesnt-commit-to-2024-presidential-run/37657095#

Pompeo, however, did not commit to a 2024 run when asked if he's considering it, instead reiterating his goal of helping the GOP win the 2022 midterms.

"I'm very focused on the next 13 months, people start voting really fast here," he said. "We forget how quickly these things come around, when we get through that election, and I pray that conservatives are successful. We'll turn our attention to the next election after that."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1044 on: September 24, 2021, 09:26:56 AM »

Pompeo was in Iowa this weekend, and was asked about 2024:

https://www.kcci.com/article/mike-pompeo-visits-iowa-again-doesnt-commit-to-2024-presidential-run/37657095#

Pompeo, however, did not commit to a 2024 run when asked if he's considering it, instead reiterating his goal of helping the GOP win the 2022 midterms.

"I'm very focused on the next 13 months, people start voting really fast here," he said. "We forget how quickly these things come around, when we get through that election, and I pray that conservatives are successful. We'll turn our attention to the next election after that."

He's running unless Mr. Trump is. Not sure how he'd to in a primary, but would be one of the easier opponents for Biden or Harris. The dude is a bland standard right-winger not inspiring anyone with literally no crossover appeal.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1045 on: September 24, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »

Wow, big if true:

tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1046 on: September 24, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »

Wow, big if true:

Futurama is a possibility
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1047 on: September 24, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »

Wow, big if true:

I guess Cynthia Nixon was unhappy with her failure to defeat Andrew Cuomo in 2018, so she decided to Primary Biden in 2024.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #1048 on: September 24, 2021, 07:59:59 PM »

If Tulsi plans to run, I hope she suffers the most humiliating defeat possible in primary. One of the worst opportunistic politicians I have seen in US politics..has become even more pathetic in recent months. I would not even be surprised if she switches to GOP in next few years
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1049 on: September 25, 2021, 06:23:34 PM »

Trump on what kind of circumstances are needed to prevent him from running for prez again:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-2024-presidential-campaign-bad-call-doctor-health-2021-9

During an interview on "The Water Cooler" show on Real America's Voice, the former president was asked by commentator David Brody about what would keep him from a future — and third — White House bid.

"Well, I guess a bad call from a doctor or something, right?" Trump said. "You get that call. Come on down and see because we've got a bad report. ... Things happen, through God, they happen."

He added: "I feel so good and I hate what's happening to our country. Our country has never been in a position like this. We were so good ten months ago and we're so bad now."
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies