The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:09:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165160 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2021, 04:46:51 PM »

I'm now slightly less convinced that he won't run again than I was a few months ago, but I'm still pretty convinced that he won't run in the end. He might say that he will for the next ~2 or so years, but he pretty clearly hated being President: he wanted all of the pomp that came with it, but none the circumstance (which, also, is ultimately why he won't put his name up for Speaker in the end either, given how that job is no pomp & all circumstance). So long as he says that he's gonna be running, his cult will still keep handing him a sh*tton of money in droves. I still believe that it's just all about the grift.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »

Pompeo headed to NH in August:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #927 on: July 23, 2021, 10:57:58 PM »

Noem headed to South Carolina:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/564485-noem-to-travel-to-south-carolina-for-early-voting-event?rl=1

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) is slated to travel to South Carolina for an early voting event in August as speculation swirls around whether she will launch a 2024 presidential bid.

Noem will attend the “Faith & Freedom BBQ," which is hosted by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), on Aug. 23. The event, which Duncan touted as the largest annual gathering of Republicans in the state, has hosted other big GOP names including former Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #928 on: July 25, 2021, 12:36:13 PM »

Tim Scott deflects on whether he’s going to run for prez in 2024, though says “I want a job when I leave the Senate”:

https://www.rawstory.com/tim-scott-2024/

During an interview on Fox News Sunday, host Martha MacCallum asked Scott if he had plans to run for president in 2024.

"Here's what I believe," Scott replied. "I believe that the American people would really appreciate politicians not being lifetime public servants. God bless the wonderful option that I've been given and blessing to serve the people of South Carolina."

"But I had a job before I went into the Senate and I want a job when I leave the Senate," he added. "So I believe in term limits for all elected officials. And that's one of the reasons I've committed myself to making this my last term in the Senate."

Scott concluded: "And I'm excited to serve the great people of South Carolina any way they will allow me."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #929 on: July 27, 2021, 12:28:12 AM »

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #930 on: July 27, 2021, 12:38:53 AM »

Noem headed to South Carolina:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/564485-noem-to-travel-to-south-carolina-for-early-voting-event?rl=1

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) is slated to travel to South Carolina for an early voting event in August as speculation swirls around whether she will launch a 2024 presidential bid.

Noem will attend the “Faith & Freedom BBQ," which is hosted by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.), on Aug. 23. The event, which Duncan touted as the largest annual gathering of Republicans in the state, has hosted other big GOP names including former Vice President Mike Pence and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas).

Dumbasses of a feather flock together, and all those names are cuckoos.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #931 on: August 01, 2021, 12:12:15 AM »

Mark Meadows Says He’s Meeting With Trump And Shadow ‘Cabinet Members’ On ‘Real Plans’
Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has been meeting with former President Donald Trump and “Cabinet members” about plans to “move forward in a real way,” he claimed in a Newsmax interview on Friday.

He refused to divulge the specifics of plans being discussed with Trump — whom he referred to as “the president” — at the former president’s Bedminster golf club in New Jersey.

Trump is “a president who is fully engaged, highly focused and remaining on task,” Meadows insisted.

“We met with several of our Cabinet members tonight, we actually had a follow-up ... meeting with some of our Cabinet members, and ... we’re looking at what does come next,” Meadows said.

He didn’t identify any of the “Cabinet members.” It was unclear if he was referring to Trump’s former Cabinet members or if some new group has been formed and is being referred to as a Cabinet.

As for the plans under discussion, Meadows told Newsmax: “I’m not authorized to speak on behalf of the president, but I can tell you this: We wouldn’t be meeting tonight if we weren’t making plans to move forward in a real way, with President Trump at the head of that ticket.”

Meadows’ statements rattled some, especially given the insistence with which extremist Trump supporters — like MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell — continue to push the lie that the former president will somehow be reinstated next month.

“I can’t stop thinking about this interview,” New York Times White House correspondent Maggie Haberman tweeted on Saturday. “The former chief of staff is talking as if there’s a shadow presidency going on (there isn’t) at a time when there’s a conspiracy theory that Trump will be reinstated (he won’t).”

Meadows insisted on Newsmax that “the magic is still there” with Trump, and shrugged off Trump’s failed endorsement of Susan Wright, who badly lost a Republican runoff this week in a House special election in Texas.

“Special elections are tough,” Meadows said, claiming that a Trump endorsement still has “unbelievable power, perhaps at historic levels.”

Trump also tried to spin his failed pick as a win earlier this week. “I don’t want to claim it is a loss, this was a win,” he said. “We had two very good people running that were both Republicans.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark-meadows-trump-cabinet_n_6105c47ee4b0048f361dfb8c
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #932 on: August 01, 2021, 05:58:07 PM »

Mark Meadows Says He’s Meeting With Trump And Shadow ‘Cabinet Members’ On ‘Real Plans’
Former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has been meeting with former President Donald Trump and “Cabinet members” about plans to “move forward in a real way,” he claimed in a Newsmax interview on Friday.

He refused to divulge the specifics of plans being discussed with Trump — whom he referred to as “the president” — at the former president’s Bedminster golf club in New Jersey.

Trump is “a president who is fully engaged, highly focused and remaining on task,” Meadows insisted.

“We met with several of our Cabinet members tonight, we actually had a follow-up ... meeting with some of our Cabinet members, and ... we’re looking at what does come next,” Meadows said.

He didn’t identify any of the “Cabinet members.” It was unclear if he was referring to Trump’s former Cabinet members or if some new group has been formed and is being referred to as a Cabinet.

As for the plans under discussion, Meadows told Newsmax: “I’m not authorized to speak on behalf of the president, but I can tell you this: We wouldn’t be meeting tonight if we weren’t making plans to move forward in a real way, with President Trump at the head of that ticket.”

Meadows’ statements rattled some, especially given the insistence with which extremist Trump supporters — like MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell — continue to push the lie that the former president will somehow be reinstated next month.

“I can’t stop thinking about this interview,” New York Times White House correspondent Maggie Haberman tweeted on Saturday. “The former chief of staff is talking as if there’s a shadow presidency going on (there isn’t) at a time when there’s a conspiracy theory that Trump will be reinstated (he won’t).”

Meadows insisted on Newsmax that “the magic is still there” with Trump, and shrugged off Trump’s failed endorsement of Susan Wright, who badly lost a Republican runoff this week in a House special election in Texas.

“Special elections are tough,” Meadows said, claiming that a Trump endorsement still has “unbelievable power, perhaps at historic levels.”

Trump also tried to spin his failed pick as a win earlier this week. “I don’t want to claim it is a loss, this was a win,” he said. “We had two very good people running that were both Republicans.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark-meadows-trump-cabinet_n_6105c47ee4b0048f361dfb8c

"Shadow Cabinet?" Go f*** yourself!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #933 on: August 01, 2021, 11:11:56 PM »

Trump has $102 million Cash on hand, $82 million of which was raised in the last six months.

Donald Trump has not yet said whether he'll run for president in 2024, but he's already raising a huge war chest in case he does.

New disclosure reports filed Saturday night show that his affiliated political committees have a total of $102 million in cash on hand going into July. Trump's team claims to have raised $82 million of that in the last six months.

However, their Federal Election Commission filings show a significant amount of that came from a transfer that took place from the former president's fundraising accounts from last year.

It's unclear exactly how much of the $82 million sum announced by Trump's team was from donations from last year, but at least $18 million in transferred contributions to Trump's old presidential committee and his newly formed PAC, Save America, were dated last year, according to ABC News' analysis of the filings.

Not including transfers, Trump's fundraising vehicles together reported raising just over $50 million in contributions from Jan. 1 through June 30, the filings show.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #934 on: August 02, 2021, 07:14:32 PM »

Meghan McCain's of the opinion that Ron Desantis would "put Kamala Harris in the ground" if both were their respective parties's nominees.

Meghan McCain on Monday predicted that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) would put Vice President Kamala Harris "in the ground" if they were to face off against each other in a presidential election.

"I think she stumbled when she was running for president. She dropped out before Iowa, she was a very early dropout. She wasn't resonating with voters way before President Biden was elected," McCain said, acknowledging that she could not be unbiased due to being a Republican.

McCain criticized Harris's approach to the immigration crisis, which she has been tasked with handling, pointing to how she laughed off questions about visiting the border.

"Her laugh has become a way for people to take hits at her because it's uncomfortable to watch, it's uncomfortable to answer and she — I always thought she needed more media training than she had," McCain said.

"The problem for Democrats going into 2024 is if President Biden chooses not to run for reelection, she's just not going to be a strong enough candidate to run for president," McCain continued. "Ron DeSantis would would put her in the ground. I mean, it would be an election for Republicans. Republicans would love nothing more than to run against Vice President Harris."
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #935 on: August 04, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »

Meghan McCain's of the opinion that Ron Desantis would "put Kamala Harris in the ground" if both were their respective parties's nominees.

Meghan McCain on Monday predicted that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) would put Vice President Kamala Harris "in the ground" if they were to face off against each other in a presidential election.

"I think she stumbled when she was running for president. She dropped out before Iowa, she was a very early dropout. She wasn't resonating with voters way before President Biden was elected," McCain said, acknowledging that she could not be unbiased due to being a Republican.

McCain criticized Harris's approach to the immigration crisis, which she has been tasked with handling, pointing to how she laughed off questions about visiting the border.

"Her laugh has become a way for people to take hits at her because it's uncomfortable to watch, it's uncomfortable to answer and she — I always thought she needed more media training than she had," McCain said.

"The problem for Democrats going into 2024 is if President Biden chooses not to run for reelection, she's just not going to be a strong enough candidate to run for president," McCain continued. "Ron DeSantis would would put her in the ground. I mean, it would be an election for Republicans. Republicans would love nothing more than to run against Vice President Harris."
Who asked for her opinion?
CascadianIndy
Cadeyrn
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -4.70

« Reply #936 on: August 04, 2021, 01:51:54 PM »

F O L K S
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #937 on: August 04, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »

It's happening.gif
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #938 on: August 04, 2021, 02:27:27 PM »

Lord Almighty, please don't let this nut anywhere near the WH.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #939 on: August 04, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »

F O L K S

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #940 on: August 04, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »

Greene/Gaetz (or vice-versa) 2020?
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #941 on: August 04, 2021, 08:02:33 PM »

F O L K S

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YES!
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #942 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:56 AM »

How much do you want to bet, after she wins the nomination, all the Republicans on Atlas who are criticizing her now would line up in lockstep behind her.

Blue avatars will always find their rationalizing.  You just keep consuming right-wing media and hearing an array of often-contradictory justifications for her presidency, and when you land on the one that works for you, you cling to it like Linus to his blanket, because that justification is the one thing standing between you and having to reckon with the failure of not just your ideology but a large part of your identity.

It happened with Trump and it will happen again with Greene if she succeeds.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #943 on: August 05, 2021, 01:39:02 PM »

It definitely did *not* happen with Trump.  Are you kidding me?  A substantial number of Republicans on the forum in 2016 didn't support him either in the primary or the GE.  Though of course, this forum is very atypical of the wider electorate.  What you're saying is more typical of Republicans generally than it is of Republicans here.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #944 on: August 05, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »

F O L K S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #945 on: August 07, 2021, 07:44:48 AM »

How much do you want to bet, after she wins the nomination, all the Republicans on Atlas who are criticizing her now would line up in lockstep behind her.

Blue avatars will always find their rationalizing.  You just keep consuming right-wing media and hearing an array of often-contradictory justifications for her presidency, and when you land on the one that works for you, you cling to it like Linus to his blanket, because that justification is the one thing standing between you and having to reckon with the failure of not just your ideology but a large part of your identity.

I'm skeptical. Republicult misogyny runs deep. I think there'd be a fair number of "she's terrible" takes that are truly motivated not by any disagreement with her murderous ignorance but with her lack of a Y chromosome.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #946 on: August 07, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »

This story is mainly about the role of Rep. Feenstra in introducing prospective 2024 GOP candidates to Iowa, but also mentions that Tom Cotton will make a return trip to the state later this month:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/06/randy-feenstra-iowa-caucus-gop-502304
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »

Haley dodges on 2024, says she has “until the first part of 2023” to decide what to do:

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article253316153.html

She said she is campaigning across the country to help House members, senators and governors get good people elected.

“That’s the big thing I’m focused on, and I don’t think I have to focus on my next step until the first part of 2023, so I think I’ve got some time to think about it,” Haley said.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2021, 04:50:45 PM »

To the surprise of no one - Trump IN, per Sean Spicer.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/07/trump-run-president-2024-sean-spicer
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #949 on: August 09, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »

GOP Megadonors are lining up behind Tim Scott

Republican Sen. Tim Scott boarded a plane to Hawaii earlier this year to meet with one of the richest people in the world: Tech titan Larry Ellison.

Ellison’s remote Lanai Island home was well out of the South Carolina senator’s way. But for Scott, who like the 76-year-old Ellison is an outspoken advocate for school choice, cultivating the mogul has paid dividends — and could even help propel a 2024 presidential bid. Since last October, Ellison has contributed $10 million to an outside group aligned with the senator — a huge sum even in the super PAC era and the business owner’s biggest known contribution in three decades as a political donor.

Scott’s behind-the-scenes courtship of Ellison illustrates how the senator has quietly become a powerhouse fundraiser and a major force within the Republican Party. Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, has seen his profile rise since delivering the party’s response to President Joe Biden’s joint address to Congress in April and is developing a vast network of small- and large-dollar donors that spans his party’s ideological spectrum, helping him far outraise Senate colleagues this year.

The pro-Scott super PAC, Opportunity Matters Fund, has drawn support from conservative donors like Richard Gaby, who has bankrolled the likes of former President Donald Trump and Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene. But Scott has also received backing from the party’s mainstream givers, like New York hedge fund manager Dan Loeb, a financier of gay rights initiatives who is slated to host a fundraiser bolstering Scott later this year.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies