The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:51:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165452 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: June 04, 2021, 01:29:35 AM »

Pence just has to push ads looping 1/6 footage over the audio calling for his hanging (with eventual footage of Biden taking office) and he'll at least give Trump a contested convention.

I'm feeling a Revenge of the Silver Fox arc here.
Pence would fail spectacularly and all the anti-Trump Republicans will be extinct by 2024.

I wouldn't go that far. Worst case scenario they have SAM or the Libertarian Party to run to, grow quickly with the tens of millions of dollars they'll bring, and make it a viable third party. GOP cannot win an Insert 2028 Dem vs. DeSantis (for example) vs. Anti-Trump Republican election. That's the best part of the Trump/QAnon community's dream; they really don't understand how elections work.

Or we're all killed in the coup, who knows.

How exactly will they “make it a viable third party”?
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #826 on: June 04, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »

"Next time I'm in the White House..."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #827 on: June 05, 2021, 04:39:49 PM »

That could either be an indication that he wants to run in 2024, or an indication that he genuinely, delusionally thinks he will somehow be reinstated as President.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #828 on: June 06, 2021, 01:53:21 AM »

And some idiots still think he won't run.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #829 on: June 06, 2021, 06:20:01 AM »

And some idiots still think he won't run.

It's just posturing, this is in no way proof that he'll run. He might not even be well enough.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #830 on: June 06, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »

Trump on whether he’d pick Pence as his running mate again:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-declines-commit-running-pence-024320232.html

"Mike and I have a good relationship, we continue to have a good but it's too early to be discussing running mates certainly," said the former president in an exclusive televised pre-speech interview.

As for whether Trump will in fact run again:

"I'll make a decision in the not too distant future, maybe sooner than people think. And I think they're going to be very happy," said Trump on Saturday evening.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #831 on: June 06, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »

"Mike and I have a good relationship, we continue to have a good but it's too early to be discussing running mates certainly," said the former president in an exclusive televised pre-speech interview.

"I'll make a decision in the not too distant future, maybe sooner than people think. And I think they're going to be very happy," said Trump on Saturday evening.

So, Trump's running. I assume he'll pick Marjorie Taylor Greene as his running mate, as she'd check pretty much every box both Trump and the National GOP would want (woman, fanatically loyal to Trump).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #832 on: June 07, 2021, 08:49:17 AM »

Rubio gives a non-answer on 2024:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rubio-may-still-want-be-president-one-day-he-s-n1267138

"Well, I've run for president once, so clearly I've had interest in the position," Rubio said. "And so for me to tell you that I would never run again is silly. But what I can't tell you is I don't know what the world looks like in 2024. I don't know what my life looks like in 2024. I don't know what the party will be looking for in 2024. A lot of that is going to depend on factors I can't predict and, frankly, in many cases don't control."
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #833 on: June 07, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »

So, Trump's running. I assume he'll pick Marjorie Taylor Greene as his running mate, as she'd check pretty much every box both Trump and the National GOP would want (woman, fanatically loyal to Trump).

Most likely imho is either Josh Hawley or he changes his registration back to NY or Bedminister, NJ to be able to pick DeSantis. Just like Cheney changed his residence back to WY in 2000. If Trump wants a female VP, is's either Haley or Blackburn.

I still think Mr. Trump won't be able to actually run as tons of legal issues are over his head like a black cloud.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #834 on: June 07, 2021, 10:07:28 AM »

If Trump wants a female VP, is's either Haley or Blackburn.

I'd assume that Noem is more likely than either Haley or Blackburn.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #835 on: June 07, 2021, 11:10:59 AM »

Most likely imho is either Josh Hawley or he changes his registration back to NY or Bedminister, NJ to be able to pick DeSantis. Just like Cheney changed his residence back to WY in 2000. If Trump wants a female VP, is's either Haley or Blackburn.

I still think Mr. Trump won't be able to actually run as tons of legal issues are over his head like a black cloud.

DeSantis won't accept. Being a member of Trump's administration is the kiss of death for a Republican politician's career.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #836 on: June 07, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »

DeSantis won't accept. Being a member of Trump's administration is the kiss of death for a Republican politician's career.

Robert Lighthizer and Mike Pompeo would probably beg to differ. They might all wind up smelling of sulphur, but being tossed out by Trump and having one's political career end is a pattern, not a law.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #837 on: June 07, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »

Trump is so civically ignorant I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't change his registration at all after choosing DeSantis.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #838 on: June 07, 2021, 06:03:12 PM »

LOL Trump isn't picking MTG, Boebert or Gaetz like some Dems think here. I'd say Hawley, DeSantis or imo the most likely Noem are more probable.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #839 on: June 07, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #840 on: June 07, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »

LOL Trump isn't picking MTG, Boebert or Gaetz like some Dems think here. I'd say Hawley, DeSantis or imo the most likely Noem are more probable.

I agree. I think Noem is the likeliest female running mate for him. Maybe Blackburn has a chance too.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #841 on: June 08, 2021, 09:25:01 AM »

As I suggested early, Trump running again would make it more likely for Biden to seek a 2nd term. Still not convinced the former will be able to with potential indictments looming.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #842 on: June 08, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »

Pence headed to Iowa in July:

https://iowatorch.com/2021/06/08/former-vice-president-mike-pence-to-speak-in-des-moines-in-july/

The FAMiLY Leader announced on Monday that former Vice President Mike Pence will speak at the FAMiLY Leadership Summit on July 16, 2021, at the Community Choice Credit Union Convention Center in Des Moines.
He joins former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who will make his third trip to Iowa in July, and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem will make her second trip to Iowa. Both are considered prospective 2024 presidential candidates.

Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley will also be in Iowa this summer. She will speak at the Republican Party of Iowa’s Lincoln Dinner on June 24. That event will be her second visit to Iowa after headling U.S. Senator Joni Ernst’s Roast and Ride in 2019.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #843 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:06 PM »

As I suggested early, Trump running again would make it more likely for Biden to seek a 2nd term. Still not convinced the former will be able to with potential indictments looming.
If he wasn’t going to run again, he wouldn’t have picked a candidate that couldn’t break double digits for his Vice President
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #844 on: June 08, 2021, 09:36:55 PM »

We're really gonna go down the QAnon 1/6 civil war-lite route, aren't we.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #845 on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:24 PM »

If he wasn’t going to run again, he wouldn’t have picked a candidate that couldn’t break double digits for his Vice President

I believe that Biden is running for re-election too, though not for the same reason that you do, but it just astounds me as to how this argument is always brought up yet never manages to make any sense, given that the past presidential primary performances of Vice Presidents have never told us anything meaningful about their prospective candidacies' performances after having been elevated to the vice presidency: Biden's pre-vice presidential primary campaigns in 1988 & 2008 had literally no bearing on his post-vice presidential primary campaign of 2020, Gore's pre-vice presidential primary campaign in 1988 had literally no bearing on his post-vice presidential campaign of 2000, Poppy's pre-vice presidential primary campaign in 1980 had literally no bearing on his post-vice presidential campaign of 1988, Mondale's pre-vice presidential primary campaign in 1976 had literally no bearing on his post-vice presidential campaign of 1984, & so on & so forth. There's literally no reason to suspect that this tried-&-true pattern will suddenly fizzle out just in time for Kamala's run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #846 on: June 09, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »

Here’s the key excerpt from that story:

According to his allies, Biden believes that he is the Democrat best equipped to take on Trump, just as he did in the lead up to 2020. They also say that is driven by the idea that his legacy could be that of the president who defeated Trump and Trumpism, which he sees as an ugly, corrosive movement.

As Trump has gotten more serious about running again, so too has the Biden team’s resolve to seek a second term. But regardless of whether Trump pulls the trigger, the 2024 campaign is still poised to be a contest between the Biden legacy and Trump’s party. And Democrats close to the White House say that Trump’s grip on Republicans may be motivation enough.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #847 on: June 09, 2021, 11:31:12 PM »

I don't understand this argument. How can it be a kiss of death for his career when Trump is extremely popular among Republicans, and it would give him an opportunity to be a heartbeat away from being the most powerful man on the planet? Trump is old and unhealthy... DeSantis or anyone else would be a fool to reject a VP offer.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #848 on: June 10, 2021, 12:28:59 AM »

I don't understand this argument. How can it be a kiss of death for his career when Trump is extremely popular among Republicans, and it would give him an opportunity to be a heartbeat away from being the most powerful man on the planet? Trump is old and unhealthy... DeSantis or anyone else would be a fool to reject a VP offer.

Not who you were responding to, but the same way in which it might still end up turning out to have been a kiss of death for Pence's career in the end: if you can't be 100% loyal to Trump & his wishes 100% of the time (which has proven itself to be something of an inherent impossibility, in that one's own potential legal liability will always tend to get in the way of being able to obey Trump's orders sooner-or-later), he'll see to it that you're finished in GOP politics. Just ask Sessions.

Of course, DeSantis might just see that as a risk worth taking anyway, since Trump would be 78 upon taking office again.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #849 on: June 10, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »

Not who you were responding to, but the same way in which it might still end up turning out to have been a kiss of death for Pence's career in the end: if you can't be 100% loyal to Trump & his wishes 100% of the time (which has proven itself to be something of an inherent impossibility, in that one's own potential legal liability will always tend to get in the way of being able to obey Trump's orders sooner-or-later), he'll see to it that you're finished in GOP politics. Just ask Sessions.

Of course, DeSantis might just see that as a risk worth taking anyway, since Trump would be 78 upon taking office again.

Again... Pence's career isn't "dead"... he consistently leads in polls for 2024 primary (when Trump is not included) and was the Vice President for four years. If he retires now, that's not a bad career to have.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies