The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165686 times)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: May 28, 2021, 06:00:01 PM »

I'm getting big "secretly a ticket already" vibes from these Gaetz/MTG rallies.

They're my pick to win the GOP primary if Trump doesn't run, and will then be crushed by Biden.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #801 on: May 28, 2021, 06:18:19 PM »

They're my pick to win the GOP primary if Trump doesn't run, and will then be crushed by Biden.

Contrary to what I indicated in my post above, I really wouldn't actually want to go through that, even if it is an easy win for Biden. In reality I hope it doesn't happen.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #802 on: May 29, 2021, 02:19:02 AM »

Yeah, I'm all for hoping the other side picks an unelectable ticket but one consisting of Gaetz and MTG would be hugely damaging to the country.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #803 on: May 29, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »

Yeah, I'm all for hoping the other side picks an unelectable ticket but one consisting of Gaetz and MTG would be hugely damaging to the country.

A 1/6 sequel feels inevitable at this point. I wouldn't see it coming from a ticket that's not schizophrenic 1776 fanatics, unfortunately.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #804 on: May 29, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »

If Trump doesn't run the Republican Ticket will be:

RON DESANTIS/KRISTI NOEM

Mark my words!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #805 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

If Trump doesn't run the Republican Ticket will be:

RON DESANTIS/KRISTI NOEM

Mark my words!

Ron DeSantis is down by Double digits in an IPSOS POLL TO BIDEN, HE WOULD LOSE
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #806 on: May 29, 2021, 10:26:32 PM »

I would agree if I wasn't confident that Gaetz will be locked up by 2024.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #807 on: May 29, 2021, 10:29:57 PM »

I would agree if I wasn't confident that Gaetz will be locked up by 2024.

Looking at you, Merrick Garland...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #808 on: May 29, 2021, 11:08:05 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 11:14:05 PM by brucejoel99 »

This thread's recent talk is activating some 'nice' flashbacks to 2015 of Democratic hopes for a certain bumbling fool to end up being the Republican nominee so that Hillary could easily crush him. Did the totality of everything over these last 6 years really somehow manage to not force us to learn our lesson on that? Let's please not go through that again, shall we?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #809 on: May 29, 2021, 11:34:01 PM »

This thread's recent talk is activating some 'nice' flashbacks to 2015 of Democratic hopes for a certain bumbling fool to end up being the Republican nominee so that Hillary could easily crush him. Did the totality of everything over these last 6 years really somehow manage to not force us to learn our lesson on that? Let's please not go through that again, shall we?

Not talking about MTG/Gaetz' legitimate chances to win a GOP primary is going to change 0 minds either way.

Acknowledging said candidates as threats and inspiring people to gather around less...insane...candidates is a smart move. People did not do this in 2016 or else it would've been Clinton vs. Cruz.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #810 on: May 30, 2021, 11:33:34 AM »

He's personally reprehensible, but on policy, Gaetz would probably be a better president than most of the Republican frontrunners.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #811 on: May 30, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »

Aside from the early primary states, another common place to visit for prospective presidential candidates (especially Republicans) is Israel.  Pompeo is heading there later this week.

Cruz has also just arrived in Israel:

https://twitter.com/Kredo0/status/1399062156654563329

Asa Hutchinson not ruling out a run for president in 2024:

https://www.swtimes.com/story/opinion/2021/05/30/brawner-presidential-run-still-option-arkansas-governors-table/7461948002/

The governor was careful not to get too specific about anything past 2022, but he did confirm that he’s still considering running for president in 2024.

“Yes, that answer I gave is still true because I’m healthy, I’m invigorated, I have strong convictions about where we need to go, and if you want to be engaged after you’ve been governor of Arkansas, there’s only a couple of places that give you an avenue for that public engagement,” he said. “And it’s important for me to concentrate on 2022 as everyone should, but you can’t take things off the table for 2024 or what might open up.”

DeSantis and Cotton both headed to Nevada in August:

https://texasnewstoday.com/pompeos-return-trip-to-iowa-to-ignite-further-speculation-in-2024/292411/

DeSantis and Cotton will meet with former Nevada Attorney General Adam Laksal at the 6th Basque Fly on August 14. Adam Laksal will meet with Democratic Senator next year. It is very likely that the Republican challenge will begin against Catherine Cortez Mast.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #812 on: May 30, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »

Republican Presidential hopefuls are engaging in 2022 House and Senate races, hoping that this will allow for them to avoid Trump's wrath should he decide to run again.

Republican Sen. Tom Cotton is heading to Iowa this summer, but he won’t be campaigning for himself — at least not officially.

The potential 2024 contender is plotting a swing through the state — home of the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses — to stump for three freshmen House Republicans as part of a broader, two-year effort to bolster congressional candidates. Cotton, a former congressman who’s been in touch with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy about the midterm elections, has spoken with fellow veterans looking at waging campaigns and raised money for others. The Arkansas senator is even sketching out plans to air a barrage of TV ads for his endorsed candidates through a political action committee.

Cotton is part of a growing list of potential Republican presidential hopefuls diving head-first into the battle for the House majority in 2022. Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo headlined a Tuesday evening fundraiser for the National Republican Congressional Committee. Ex-U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley has endorsed a handful of female candidates and hosted receptions for newly elected GOP women in the House. Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is backing a trio of conservative House candidates, including one for whom he’s cut a direct-to-camera video.

It’s the latest chapter in a slow-building 2024 shadow primary. By throwing themselves into House races, potential candidates are currying goodwill with lawmakers and activists, testing out campaign themes and introducing themselves to voters around the country who will eventually determine the party’s next presidential nominee.

And there is another reason why House races are an attractive playground for those looking to run: It’s a way to put themselves out there without poking the eye of former President Donald Trump, who has made clear that he’s interested in a comeback bid.

“They’re trying to figure out, how do you lay the groundwork without being seen as maybe trying to push the president out of the way?” said former Oregon Rep. Greg Walden, a past NRCC chair, who noted that several of the potential candidates previously served in Trump’s administration. “Until President Trump decides what he’s going to do, I think they can be helpful in House races in their own ways and keep focused on that and not run afoul of the big elephant in the room.”

Likely 2024 candidates are interested in more than just House races. As the midterm election nears, would-be contenders are certain to engage in Senate and gubernatorial contests, too. Glenn Youngkin, the GOP nominee in this year’s race for Virginia governor, has received support from Cruz, Haley and others.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #813 on: May 30, 2021, 11:57:34 PM »

He's personally reprehensible, but on policy, Gaetz would probably be a better president than most of the Republican frontrunners.

True. Without the allegations/investigation, he would be the GOP's best shot at winning imo.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #814 on: May 31, 2021, 12:26:21 PM »

Aside from the early primary states, another common place to visit for prospective presidential candidates (especially Republicans) is Israel.  Pompeo is heading there later this week.

https://www.swtimes.com/story/opinion/2021/05/30/brawner-presidential-run-still-option-arkansas-governors-table/7461948002/

The governor was careful not to get too specific about anything past 2022, but he did confirm that he’s still considering running for president in 2024.

“Yes, that answer I gave is still true because I’m healthy, I’m invigorated, I have strong convictions about where we need to go, and if you want to be engaged after you’ve been governor of Arkansas, there’s only a couple of places that give you an avenue for that public engagement,” he said. “And it’s important for me to concentrate on 2022 as everyone should, but you can’t take things off the table for 2024 or what might open up.”

https://texasnewstoday.com/pompeos-return-trip-to-iowa-to-ignite-further-speculation-in-2024/292411/

DeSantis and Cotton will meet with former Nevada Attorney General Adam Laksal at the 6th Basque Fly on August 14. Adam Laksal will meet with Democratic Senator next year. It is very likely that the Republican challenge will begin against Catherine Cortez Mast.

Hutchitson?? Has he made noise before this?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #815 on: May 31, 2021, 12:57:35 PM »

Hutchitson?? Has he made noise before this?

As noted in that same column, he had an "anything's possible" answer way back in July 2019:

When I asked Gov. Asa Hutchinson in July 2019 if he would run for president after he left office, he replied by saying, “If there was the right opportunity and need there, that option is on the table.”

But I'm unaware of him re-upping on that since the 2020 election, until now.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #816 on: May 31, 2021, 11:48:10 PM »

Lindsey Graham is in Israel meeting with Netanyahu, and getting quite a bit of praise from him too.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) traded praise Monday during a meeting in Jerusalem to discuss the current violence between Israel and Hamas.

Netanyahu hailed the Republican South Carolina senator, thanking him for his support during a press conference, where the two stood side-by-side.

"No one has done more for Israel than you, Senator Lindsey Graham, stalwart champion of our alliance and we have no better friend," Netanyahu told Graham.

He went on to thank Graham for the work he's done on Israeli defense, security and Iran.

"You've been a tremendous friend and a tremendous ally," Netanyahu added.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #817 on: June 01, 2021, 02:13:25 AM »

Lindsey Graham is in Israel meeting with Netanyahu, and getting quite a bit of praise from him too.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) traded praise Monday during a meeting in Jerusalem to discuss the current violence between Israel and Hamas.

Netanyahu hailed the Republican South Carolina senator, thanking him for his support during a press conference, where the two stood side-by-side.

"No one has done more for Israel than you, Senator Lindsey Graham, stalwart champion of our alliance and we have no better friend," Netanyahu told Graham.

He went on to thank Graham for the work he's done on Israeli defense, security and Iran.

"You've been a tremendous friend and a tremendous ally," Netanyahu added.
"Now who's a good boy?" "You are"-Netanyahu probably
"Arf Arf"-Graham
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #818 on: June 01, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »

It's hilarious that Republicans are still sucking up to Netanyahu, even when it looks like he may finally be on his way out. They just love corrupt (tentative though, in this case) losers, don't they?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #819 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

Cory Booker "doesn't know" if he ever wants to run for President again, expects Biden to run in 2024, and for Kamala to support him.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/02/cory-booker-senate-491519
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #820 on: June 03, 2021, 07:39:52 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/michael-pence-donald-trump-campaign-2016-election-2020-government-and-politics-7306533132e2fa9aa0e9b5da60db9420

Donald Trump was calling into yet another friendly radio show when he was asked, as he often is, whether he’s planning a comeback bid for the White House. “We need you,” conservative commentator Dan Bongino told the former president.

“Well, I’ll tell you what,” Trump responded. “We are going to make you very happy, and we’re going to do what’s right.”

It was a noncommittal answer typical of a former president who spent decades toying with presidential runs. But multiple people who have spoken with Trump and his team in recent weeks say such remarks shouldn’t be viewed as idle chatter. Instead, they sense a shift, with Trump increasingly acting and talking like he plans to mount a run as he embarks on a more public phase of his post-presidency, beginning with a speech on Saturday in North Carolina.
Allies say Trump misses the office and is eager to return to the action — especially as he sees other potential candidates making moves. He has also felt emboldened by some recent developments, including the ouster of one of his chief critics, Republican Rep. Liz Cheney, from her House leadership position. And some see the presidency as offering potentially useful legal shelter as probes into him and his family business intensify.

“There’s a continued, enduring interest and folks encouraging him to run in 2024, but he’s in no rush to make a decision. And he’ll do that at the appropriate time,” said Trump spokesperson Jason Miller.

There is doubt, however, among some in Trump’s orbit that he will move forward unless he sees a clear path to victory, for fear of being stained by another loss.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #821 on: June 03, 2021, 02:17:03 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/michael-pence-donald-trump-campaign-2016-election-2020-government-and-politics-7306533132e2fa9aa0e9b5da60db9420

Donald Trump was calling into yet another friendly radio show when he was asked, as he often is, whether he’s planning a comeback bid for the White House. “We need you,” conservative commentator Dan Bongino told the former president.

“Well, I’ll tell you what,” Trump responded. “We are going to make you very happy, and we’re going to do what’s right.”

It was a noncommittal answer typical of a former president who spent decades toying with presidential runs. But multiple people who have spoken with Trump and his team in recent weeks say such remarks shouldn’t be viewed as idle chatter. Instead, they sense a shift, with Trump increasingly acting and talking like he plans to mount a run as he embarks on a more public phase of his post-presidency, beginning with a speech on Saturday in North Carolina.
Allies say Trump misses the office and is eager to return to the action — especially as he sees other potential candidates making moves. He has also felt emboldened by some recent developments, including the ouster of one of his chief critics, Republican Rep. Liz Cheney, from her House leadership position. And some see the presidency as offering potentially useful legal shelter as probes into him and his family business intensify.

“There’s a continued, enduring interest and folks encouraging him to run in 2024, but he’s in no rush to make a decision. And he’ll do that at the appropriate time,” said Trump spokesperson Jason Miller.

There is doubt, however, among some in Trump’s orbit that he will move forward unless he sees a clear path to victory, for fear of being stained by another loss.

But I thought that he was gonna be reinstated to the presidency by August? How could he purport to serve out the rest of this presidential term & then seek yet another term after having already served for more than a-term-&-a-half? If I didn't know any better, then I'd say that it's almost like they don't have their facts (read: f**king lies) straight or something.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #822 on: June 03, 2021, 10:06:31 PM »

Pence just has to push ads looping 1/6 footage over the audio calling for his hanging (with eventual footage of Biden taking office) and he'll at least give Trump a contested convention.

I'm feeling a Revenge of the Silver Fox arc here.
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #823 on: June 03, 2021, 10:20:51 PM »

Pence just has to push ads looping 1/6 footage over the audio calling for his hanging (with eventual footage of Biden taking office) and he'll at least give Trump a contested convention.

Pence would fail spectacularly and all the anti-Trump Republicans will be extinct by 2024.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #824 on: June 03, 2021, 10:23:39 PM »

Pence would fail spectacularly and all the anti-Trump Republicans will be extinct by 2024.

I wouldn't go that far. Worst case scenario they have SAM or the Libertarian Party to run to, grow quickly with the tens of millions of dollars they'll bring, and make it a viable third party. GOP cannot win an Insert 2028 Dem vs. DeSantis (for example) vs. Anti-Trump Republican election. That's the best part of the Trump/QAnon community's dream; they really don't understand how elections work.

Or we're all killed in the coup, who knows.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies