The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:36:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165824 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: February 05, 2021, 01:17:13 AM »

Hawley’s voted against every Biden cabinet nominee, but denies that that’s a sign he’s going to run for president:

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/04/josh-hawley-2024-465756

“All I can say is no,” Hawley said in an interview on Wednesday, denying he has an overarching plan to oppose Biden’s nominees. “What can I say? That’s clearly not my focus.”

But aside from Hawley’s allies, no one familiar with presidential politics or the U.S. Senate is taking the 41-year-old at his word — especially after several Democratic senators used their opposition to early Trump appointees as a springboard to 2020.

Also:

Hawley is becoming more of a regular on Fox News, the most-watched cable channel for Republican primary voters, and his fundraising has kept pace with his growing national profile. Negative news media coverage and the Democrats’ ethics investigation of him and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) for their roles leading up to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has served to stoke his coffers: A memo sent to donors this week said he raised nearly $1 million in January, touted his popularity in the state and argued his electoral objections were popular in Missouri.

lmao ok
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #551 on: February 05, 2021, 01:17:33 AM »

He’s a Trump guy through and through.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #552 on: February 05, 2021, 01:33:36 AM »

He's probably more of a dark horse candidate at this point. My feeling is that he's trying to hold onto his senate seat for 2024 that I imagine is gonna be the Beto vs Cruz of that year.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #553 on: February 05, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »

Mike Pence is starting a podcast.

Mike Pence is returning to his radio roots after a 22-year hiatus from the airwaves.

The former vice president will launch a podcast in the coming months hosted by the Young America’s Foundation, a conservative youth organization dating back to the1960s. Pence will join YAF as the group’s first Ronald Reagan presidential scholar, and is expected to become a regular member of its campus lecture circuit once it is safe to resume such events, which have been halted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Vice President Pence has been a stalwart defender of individual freedom, traditional values, free markets, and limited government throughout his career of distinguished service to our country,” said former Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who took the reins of the Virginia-based organization earlier this year. “Now, by partnering with YAF, the Vice President will continue to attract new hearts and minds to the conservative cause.”
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #554 on: February 05, 2021, 08:15:19 AM »

Mike Pence is joining the Heritage Foundation as a distinguished fellow.

Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2021, 01:04:23 PM »

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell has released a documentary. Tripling-down on 2020 election conspiracy theories.

https://michaeljlindell.com/

Reminiscent of Trump's ownership of the Obama birtherism conspiracy theory. Lindell is running.

Presentation of the documentary itself, with its slideshow and all, also brings to mind Ross Perot. But, you know, nuttier.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #556 on: February 06, 2021, 01:35:49 PM »

Mike Pence is joining the Heritage Foundation as a distinguished fellow.

He definitely will run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #557 on: February 06, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »

Pence is in northern Virginia now, but will be moving back to Indiana later in the year:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/537194-pence-announces-post-white-house-office-plans-to-move-back-to-indiana?rl=1

Former Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday announced the creation of a post-White House transition office near Washington, D.C., but plans to move back to his home state of Indiana later this year.

Pence and former second lady Karen Pence are living in Northern Virginia after leaving office, according to a news release, and the Office of the Former Vice President will be based in the Washington, D.C., area.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #558 on: February 07, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »

In two different interviews this week (one of which was this morning) DeSantis was asked about his 2024 plans, and dodged the question:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401006-speculation-desantis

DeSantis said when asked about 2024 that he’s “thinking about governing Florida and running for reelection in 2022,” before adding that “a lot of the speculation just goes back to what [host Greg Kelly was] saying, like people see me out here leading, and they like to see that in the Republican Party because, quite frankly, we need more Republicans to show some backbone.”

And then today:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401733-2024-desantis-ron-prez

When host Will Cain asked DeSantis if he was going to take the 2024 plunge, the Governor laughed theatrically.

“We’ve got a great Governor’s election in 2022, which will be very important for our state and quite frankly I think, uh, you know, it gives us the ability to keep the momentum going, so that’s what we’re focused on.”

When asked if that was a no, the Governor demurred.

“That’s a ‘we have 2022 to worry about’,” the Governor said.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #559 on: February 07, 2021, 12:41:24 PM »

In two different interviews this week (one of which was this morning) DeSantis was asked about his 2024 plans, and dodged the question:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401006-speculation-desantis

DeSantis said when asked about 2024 that he’s “thinking about governing Florida and running for reelection in 2022,” before adding that “a lot of the speculation just goes back to what [host Greg Kelly was] saying, like people see me out here leading, and they like to see that in the Republican Party because, quite frankly, we need more Republicans to show some backbone.”

And then today:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/401733-2024-desantis-ron-prez

When host Will Cain asked DeSantis if he was going to take the 2024 plunge, the Governor laughed theatrically.

“We’ve got a great Governor’s election in 2022, which will be very important for our state and quite frankly I think, uh, you know, it gives us the ability to keep the momentum going, so that’s what we’re focused on.”

When asked if that was a no, the Governor demurred.

“That’s a ‘we have 2022 to worry about’,” the Governor said.

this is the most open he's sounded about it. the leadership comment seems like him cracking the door open to the idea of a run. "No one is showing the leadership I think we need, so I will step forward" etc.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #560 on: February 08, 2021, 10:25:43 AM »

Candace Owens tweeted this:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #561 on: February 08, 2021, 02:39:58 PM »

I wouldn't worry, Candace Owens & "thinking" have never been close friends.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #562 on: February 08, 2021, 04:09:23 PM »

She'd bomb in the primaries. No way Republicans would let a vote for a black woman. Plus she's insane, so even if she somehow won the nomination, she would get completely blown out in the general.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #563 on: February 08, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

She'll be an early favorite amongst the field until more seriously funded/resourced candidates start to announce, while probably still having some kinda extremely loyal niche support. See Rand Paul 2016.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #564 on: February 08, 2021, 11:38:55 PM »

Yeah, he's running. So that makes Owens vs. Gaetz so far.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #565 on: February 09, 2021, 12:55:04 AM »

Ah so this is going to be the republicans Williamson?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #566 on: February 09, 2021, 03:02:47 PM »

Yeah, he's running. So that makes Owens vs. Gaetz so far.

So we have the possibility of four major candidates from Florida. Rubio, Scott, DeSantis, and Gaetz. If they all make it to the FL primary, it'll be a sh*tshow.
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #567 on: February 09, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »

Gaetz would be a very weak GE candidate. What are his foreign policy credentials? He'd be the Republican version of Dukakis and would lose unless Biden manages to maintain horrendous approvals.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #568 on: February 09, 2021, 10:49:54 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2021, 10:53:12 PM by MAGugh »

(devil's advocate, Hawley like most Republicans sicken me after the events of 1/6)

Staunch fighter against Big Tech censorship and political correctness, young, TradLife optics, pro-life, consistently pro-Trump record. Younger Republicans along the Red Eagle Politics line of intelligence love him.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #569 on: February 10, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »

Gaetz would be a very weak GE candidate. What are his foreign policy credentials? He'd be the Republican version of Dukakis and would lose unless Biden manages to maintain horrendous approvals.

What were Trump's foreign policy credentials?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: February 10, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »

^^^

what where obamas? bushs? clintons?

It's been awhile since we had a president with serious foreign policy chops, and that wasn't why HW got elected. I don't like Gaetz, but he's a bad candidate because he can't expand his appeal.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2021, 05:29:43 PM »

Do you think DeSantis is going to announce if he wins next year?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #572 on: February 10, 2021, 06:53:28 PM »

(devil's advocate, Hawley like most Republicans sicken me after the events of 1/6)

Staunch fighter against Big Tech censorship and political correctness, young, TradLife optics, pro-life, consistently pro-Trump record. Younger Republicans along the Red Eagle Politics line of intelligence love him.
Yeah, this is why I think he can still win. Also, he simultaneously is one of the most liberal GOP senators economically and Trump's most loyal Senate supporter.
JG

« Reply #573 on: February 10, 2021, 07:43:02 PM »

^^^

It's been awhile since we had a president with serious foreign policy chops, and that wasn't why HW got elected. I don't like Gaetz, but he's a bad candidate because he can't expand his appeal.

Wouldn't Biden be considered as a president with serious foreign policy chops?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: February 10, 2021, 09:36:59 PM »

^^^

Wouldn't Biden be considered as a president with serious foreign policy chops?

good point, can't believe he slipped my mind. I'd argue the point still stands, as he wasn't elected because of his foreign policy experience, but you're right that he's easily the most experienced we've had since HW.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies