The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:39:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 166192 times)
Florida Paleoconservative
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: February 04, 2023, 12:47:17 PM »

If I was a betting man, I'd say that LaLawrence J. Hogan Jr. is running for POTUS.
**Lawrence.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1726 on: February 06, 2023, 05:10:09 AM »

If I was a betting man, I'd say that LaLawrence J. Hogan Jr. is running for POTUS.

https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1620891606634344448

And if I were a betting man, I wouldn't waste one penny on a bet that Hogan has any chance whatsoever at winning the nomination. To dream the impossible dream, ...
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #1727 on: February 06, 2023, 11:48:32 AM »

Boris Johnson will run, trust in the plan
JMT

« Reply #1728 on: February 06, 2023, 07:08:06 PM »

No politician goes to Iowa by accident…

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1729 on: February 08, 2023, 02:46:07 AM »

She's running to be Trump's VP.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1730 on: February 08, 2023, 03:58:49 AM »

I highly doubt she'll get it though. She may either be Trump's press secretary or run for office again in Arizona, but she ain't gonna be VP in 2024.
Trump's VP shortlist was already leaked as being Noem, Greene, Stefanik and Gabbard.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #1731 on: February 09, 2023, 10:21:07 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1732 on: February 09, 2023, 10:28:08 AM »

There more candidates jump in, the more likely is a Trump nomination. At this point, I don't even think DeSantis can dethrone him 1 on 1.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #1733 on: February 09, 2023, 03:56:31 PM »

Former 2022 Michigan gubernatorial candidate Perry Johnson is looking likely to run in 2024:

JMT

« Reply #1734 on: February 09, 2023, 09:36:58 PM »

Former 2022 Michigan gubernatorial candidate Perry Johnson is looking likely to run in 2024:

Interesting that a guy who failed to qualify for a gubernatorial ballot thinks he should now run for President.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1735 on: February 10, 2023, 09:43:53 PM »

Interesting that a guy who failed to qualify for a gubernatorial ballot thinks he should now run for President.

Watch him compeletly screw up his paperwork for the Republican Primaries.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1736 on: February 10, 2023, 11:40:12 PM »

How in any way is Chris Sununu a moderate? Does not saying stupid things constantly qualify you as a "moderate" these days?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1737 on: February 11, 2023, 01:54:07 AM »

There more candidates jump in, the more likely is a Trump nomination. At this point, I don't even think DeSantis can dethrone him 1 on 1.

I think you’ll see something similar to the 2020 Democrat primaries with Sanders as Trump in that situation. I think as much as the likes of Pence, Haley, DeSantis hate each other, they hate Trump more and do want him gone.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #1738 on: February 12, 2023, 10:09:34 AM »

How in any way is Chris Sununu a moderate? Does not saying stupid things constantly qualify you as a "moderate" these days?

Well, probably because he's got moderate positions on issues.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1739 on: February 12, 2023, 05:21:12 PM »

I think you’ll see something similar to the 2020 Democrat primaries with Sanders as Trump in that situation. I think as much as the likes of Pence, Haley, DeSantis hate each other, they hate Trump more and do want him gone.

The issue with this is that people were able to unite around Biden because Democratic voters wanted to beat Trump more than anything else. It doesn’t matter if the Republican establishment tries to work together, because they still have to convince their deranged voters to do it too. And Republican primary voters care more about purity than they care about beating Biden.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1740 on: February 12, 2023, 09:30:49 PM »

https://kitparsons.substack.com/p/2024withandrewyang
Yang probably out for 2024
I’m always looking to have a positive impact and am in my 40s. Just about every day someone asks me to run again, which I appreciate. I certainly would be open to running again if I thought it would lead to good things for people and the circumstances were right. Right now I believe that structural reforms like Ranked Choice Voting are what the country needs in order for there to be the kind of choices that people want.
and he wants Marianne Williamson to run against Joe Biden
Marianne Williamson is a genuine and moral person. I always enjoyed spending time with her on the trail and consider her a friend. I think that some form of choice and competition in the Democratic Party would be a positive thing. I personally would be supportive.

JMT

« Reply #1741 on: February 13, 2023, 09:22:48 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1742 on: February 13, 2023, 10:53:49 AM »

Breaking: Tim Scott announces he's running for vice president
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1743 on: February 13, 2023, 10:54:40 AM »

Interesting, I thought he previously ruled out a run. But yup, he's running to be VP.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1744 on: February 13, 2023, 09:17:58 PM »

Interesting, I thought he previously ruled out a run. But yup, he's running to be VP.

Everyone who isn't Trump is running to be VP.
JMT

« Reply #1745 on: February 14, 2023, 11:10:08 AM »

Except DeSantis, I think he’s running for real. DeSantis is polling well enough to potentially be the nominee, and Trump won’t pick him for VP. In fact, since Trump and DeSantis are both Florida residents, Trump can’t pick DeSantis for VP without forfeiting Florida’s electoral votes per the Constitution. He can’t win without Florida, so unless Trump becomes a New York resident again, DeSantis is a no go (not that it would happen at this point, anyways. Trump seems to strongly dislike DeSantis now).
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #1746 on: February 14, 2023, 11:14:52 AM »

Except DeSantis, I think he’s running for real. DeSantis is polling well enough to potentially be the nominee, and Trump won’t pick him for VP. In fact, since Trump and DeSantis are both Florida residents, Trump can’t pick DeSantis for VP without forfeiting Florida’s electoral votes per the Constitution. He can’t win without Florida, so unless Trump becomes a New York resident again, DeSantis is a no go (not that it would happen at this point, anyways. Trump seems to strongly dislike DeSantis now).
I never understood this. Why can't two people on the same ticket be registered in the same state? What's the logic here?
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #1747 on: February 14, 2023, 01:26:42 PM »

I never understood this. Why can't two people on the same ticket be registered in the same state? What's the logic here?

Afaik it's a relic of the time when the EC elected president and VP on the same ballot to prevent the electors of a state from just voting for two of their own for president. They had to give an alternative preference to someone not from their state. The procedure has been changed, but the provision sort of remained. It's one of these cases where no one actually knows what is legal and what is not because we never actually had to find out. It has always been more efficient for the parties to just find a workaround.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1748 on: February 14, 2023, 05:01:48 PM »

Afaik it's a relic of the time when the EC elected president and VP on the same ballot to prevent the electors of a state from just voting for two of their own for president. They had to give an alternative preference to someone not from their state. The procedure has been changed, but the provision sort of remained. It's one of these cases where no one actually knows what is legal and what is not because we never actually had to find out. It has always been more efficient for the parties to just find a workaround.

Given how easy it is to find a workaround (a la Cheney 2000), it does seem like it’d be worth reforming the law on this. There’s no real reason to block someone having a VP from their own state.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1749 on: February 14, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »

You can do it without a workaround, you just have to win the election by more than half that state's EVs. Anyway, it would need a Constitutional Amendment to change.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies