The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:41:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165674 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: August 27, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »

Newsom:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gavin-newsom-says-2024-presidential-bid-is-not-gonna-happen-11661538913

Newsom was touting California’s latest plan to ban the sale of new gasoline cars by 2035 during an “ABC News” interview on Thursday night. And he shut down rumors — again — that he may run for president in 2024 by flatly saying it’s “not gonna happen.”

He also gestured to his casual on-camera outfit, which included a baseball cap, adding, “You think this looks like someone running for anything?”

Newsom had told the San Francisco Chronicle in May that chances of him running for president in 2024 are “subzero.” And he doubled-down on that sentiment on Thursday, adding, “No. I said ‘subzero,’ I’ve been doing it in foreign languages … I don’t know how many times I have to say it.”
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1526 on: August 28, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »

Rick Scott is headlining an event for Miller-Meeks in Iowa:
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1527 on: August 28, 2022, 05:17:52 PM »

Rick Scott is headlining an event for Miller-Meeks in Iowa:

He's struggling to win control of a 50-50 senate while a Democrat is president and has crud approval ratings. And he thinks he can run a presidential campaign? LOL
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1528 on: August 28, 2022, 11:29:14 PM »

Klobuchar was asked about whether she’d consider running in 2024:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/sen-amy-klobuchar-presidential-run-2024/

"President Biden has said that he's running again and I take him at his word," Klobuchar said. "I love my job representing Minnesota in the U.S. Senate, and I think you see why with what we've been able to do the last few months. And it is great to be home getting out talking to people, getting their idea, bringing them back and, yes, going to the State Fair."

So, similar to the non-denials that Warren has given: On the surface, it sounds like it’s a denial.  Except it’s all couched in the context of “Well, Biden is presumably going to run again, so why are you asking me this?”….which dodges the question of whether she would rule it out in a scenario where Biden doesn’t run.

Klobuchar would be even more of a non-starter than Harris is because of her past as a DA. I maintain that to win the Democratic nomination, the eventual nominee will have to support #defundthepolice, at a minimum.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1529 on: August 29, 2022, 06:45:30 AM »

Klobuchar was asked about whether she’d consider running in 2024:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/sen-amy-klobuchar-presidential-run-2024/

"President Biden has said that he's running again and I take him at his word," Klobuchar said. "I love my job representing Minnesota in the U.S. Senate, and I think you see why with what we've been able to do the last few months. And it is great to be home getting out talking to people, getting their idea, bringing them back and, yes, going to the State Fair."

So, similar to the non-denials that Warren has given: On the surface, it sounds like it’s a denial.  Except it’s all couched in the context of “Well, Biden is presumably going to run again, so why are you asking me this?”….which dodges the question of whether she would rule it out in a scenario where Biden doesn’t run.

Klobuchar would be even more of a non-starter than Harris is because of her past as a DA. I maintain that to win the Democratic nomination, the eventual nominee will have to support #defundthepolice, at a minimum.

Why?  Biden didn't.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1530 on: August 30, 2022, 10:55:32 PM »

The Biden/Harris ticket has filed with the FEC, which should put an end to any speculation on the Democratic side.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1531 on: August 30, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »

Ummm…no.  The media is reporting that this is an update they just made on his 2020 campaign committee:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/joe-biden-2024-campaign-b2155840.html

A 30 August form filed with the Federal Election Commission by Joe Biden’s campaign committee is not a sign that an announcement of a re-election bid is imminent, a Democratic National Committee official has said.

On Tuesday, Mr Biden’s 2020 committee, “Biden for President,” filed an updated “Statement of Organization” with the FEC.

But the Democratic official told The Independent the filing was routine.

“This is not a re-election filing. This is just updating the form to change the treasurer name because the former treasurer is taking a government job,” the official said.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1532 on: August 30, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »

Pompeo to NH:

https://news.yahoo.com/pompeo-visit-hampshire-amid-2024-131451457.html

Former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will visit New Hampshire next month amid speculation over a potential 2024 presidential bid.

Pompeo on Sept. 20 will appear at the “Politics & Eggs” speaking series, a mainstay of the campaign trail for presidential hopefuls looking to build their profiles in the first-in-the-nation primary state.

Meanwhile, Tim Scott was in Iowa on Sunday:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2022/08/29/potential-2024-presidential-candidate-tim-scott-iowa-ashley-hinson-fundraiser/7926567001/

Midway through his speech, a member of the audience shouted, “Tim Scott for president!”

“Of my homeowners’ association, yes!” Scott replied. He made the same deflection in June at an event in Cedar Rapids. Scott also downplayed the possibility to reporters after the event, noting that he's been in the state several times over the years to help his fellow Republicans campaign.  

"Thank God I continue to be invited," he said. 
Scott’s visit Sunday marked his fifth public trip to Iowa since 2019 — and it’s his second in the last three months.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1533 on: September 01, 2022, 11:37:00 PM »

Trump’s timeline:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/politics/trump-delaying-2024-decision/index.html

Donald Trump is considering waiting until after the November midterms to launch a third presidential campaign as he navigates a widening array of legal troubles and mounting concerns that some of his hand-picked Senate candidates may be weaker than he once thought, sources familiar with his thinking tell CNN.

After months of eyeing Labor Day weekend as the target launch date for a 2024 campaign, Trump has spent the past few weeks backing away from that timeline following the FBI search of his Mar-a-Lago estate and an increased panic among Republicans that the party may not be in for the red wave it has long anticipated this November.

While his timeline could shift again between now and November, the onslaught of political and legal concerns has the former President feeling nervous about prematurely diving into the 2024 primary, according to nine former and current Trump aides and allies who requested anonymity to discuss internal matters.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1534 on: September 02, 2022, 12:08:22 AM »

For avoiding jail his best chance is to announce like, now, and hope it scares off Garland from indicting. But he probably thinks he's still invincible or something.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1535 on: September 02, 2022, 04:51:52 PM »

For avoiding jail his best chance is to announce like, now, and hope it scares off Garland from indicting. But he probably thinks he's still invincible or something.

That won't scare off Garland.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1536 on: September 03, 2022, 02:38:15 PM »

I did say hope lol.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1537 on: September 05, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »

Phil Murphy says he supports Biden’s re-nomination assuming that Biden runs again, but doesn’t address the question of whether he’ll run for president should Biden not run:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/us-elections-government/ny-phil-murphy-coy-presidential-ambitions-20220904-m7rshcjwa5e6hmdxziqseaqzge-story.html

“He says he’s running; I take him at his word,” said Murphy, 65. “Assuming he does run, he’ll have no bigger backer than yours truly.”

Murphy’s confidants are privately mulling a possible presidential run by Murphy, NJ.com reported last month, amid widespread speculation the 79-year-old incumbent won’t seek a second term.

The term-limited Murphy said Sunday he hasn’t met with potential campaign donors and that the Garden State is his priority.

Oh, and this is from more than a week ago, but it looks like it hasn’t been posted here….Cheney said that it’s not a given that if she runs for president, that it would be done as a Republican:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/08/21/liz-cheney-interview-2024-election-deniers/7859643001/

Would [Cheney] run as a Republican? That may not be automatic.

"I haven't made any specific decisions or plans about that at this point," she told ABC News, when asked whether she would run under the GOP banner.

She would not speculate further on whether she'd campaign as an independent.
"Look, you run for president because you believe you would be the best – the best candidate, because you believe you'd be the best president of the United States," she said. "And so, any decision that I make about doing something that significant and that serious would be with the intention of winning and because I think I would be the best candidate."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1538 on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:00 AM »

Hillary Clinton:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3631601-hillary-clinton-says-she-will-never-run-for-president-again/

Former secretary of State and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton on Tuesday said she will not run for president again.

“No, no,” Clinton said when asked by “CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell if she would ever run for president again.

“But I’m going to do everything I can to make sure that we have a president who respects our democracy and the rule of law and upholds our institutions,” Clinton continued.

Here's the video:

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1539 on: September 08, 2022, 09:24:43 AM »

Hillary Clinton:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3631601-hillary-clinton-says-she-will-never-run-for-president-again/

Former secretary of State and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton on Tuesday said she will not run for president again.

“No, no,” Clinton said when asked by “CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell if she would ever run for president again.

“But I’m going to do everything I can to make sure that we have a president who respects our democracy and the rule of law and upholds our institutions,” Clinton continued.

Here's the video:

Unlike Sleepy Joe then who planned the "Reichstag fire 2.0" aka January 6th against patriots using the FBI and ANTIFA plants.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1540 on: September 09, 2022, 08:26:07 AM »

Club for Growth souring on Trump and looking towards DeSantis: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/09/trump-2024-gop-00055830
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1541 on: September 10, 2022, 08:19:38 PM »

In this interview with GQ, Ocasio-Cortez talks about how she’s skeptical that she could be elected president, in part because “So many people in this country hate women. And they hate women of color.”

https://www.gq.com/story/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-october-cover-profile

Over the course of our conversations, the congresswoman typically answered in a confident, fast-paced patter—each sentence closely chasing the tail of the last. But now her speech slowed to a crawl and, for the first time in the hours we had spent speaking, she broke eye contact, burying her gaze in the arm of her chair. Tears pooled in the corners of her eyes.

“I hold two contradictory things [in mind] at the same time. One is just the relentless belief that anything is possible,” she said. “But at the same time, my experience here has given me a front-row seat to how deeply and unconsciously, as well as consciously, so many people in this country hate women. And they hate women of color. People ask me questions about the future. And realistically, I can’t even tell you if I’m going to be alive in September. And that weighs very heavily on me. And it’s not just the right wing. Misogyny transcends political ideology: left, right, center. This grip of patriarchy affects all of us, not just women; men, as I mentioned before, but also, ideologically, there’s an extraordinary lack of self-awareness in so many places. And so those are two very conflicting things. I admit to sometimes believing that I live in a country that would never let that happen.”

There would be other impediments—obstacles about which Ocasio-Cortez is practical, if not exactly optimistic. “Could Obama have gotten elected without the kind of financial support that he had?” she asked, noting that her opposition to Wall Street would be a major hurdle to any further rise. “I don’t know.” Even were she theoretically to become president, then what? She’d face a system—from the Senate to the Supreme Court—both empowered and inclined to thwart her most sweeping ambitions. “There are still plenty of limitations,” she said, playing out the hypothetical. “It’s tough, it’s really tough.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1542 on: September 10, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »

Cruz was in NH earlier this week:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/ted-cruz-2024-bid-waits-trump

Cruz, the runner-up for the GOP nod in 2016 (the last time the party did not field an incumbent), conceded he has not ruled out mounting a second campaign — even if former President Donald Trump enters the race.
But the senator also confirmed in a brief interview with the Washington Examiner Thursday evening he will make no decision about 2024 until he knows Trump’s plans. Any Republican mulling a White House bid who says otherwise (and at the very least, that includes former Vice President Mike Pence and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo) is, Cruz insists, being dishonest about his or her internal deliberations.

“There are a lot of candidates out there feeling their oats and boasting, ‘I’m running no matter what. I don’t care what Donald Trump says.’ Anyone who says that is lying. That’s an idiotic statement for someone to make who’s actually thinking about running,” Cruz said after headlining a rally for Karoline Leavitt, the Republican candidate for New Hampshire’s 1st Congressional District, before a couple of hundred voters and activists.

“I don’t know what Trump’s going to decide — nobody does. Anybody who tells you they do is making things up,” the senator said. “The whole world will change depending on what Donald Trump decides. That’s true for every candidate. That’s true of every potential candidate.”

In other news, Youngkin was asked about 2024, and he dodged the question, talking about how he’s focused on his current job.  Here’s what he said when asked if he has presidential ambitions:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/glenn-youngkin-reacts-speculation-presidential-ambitions-2024

GLENN YOUNGKIN: “My ambitions right now are to be the best governor that I possibly can be in Virginia, and we've had a great first eight months. I'm also finding that there's a great opportunity for me to support Virginia candidates running for Congress and I've often thought that the road to the majority in our House of Representatives comes through Virginia.

“We've got great candidates: Yesli Vega in the 7th, Jen Kiggans in the 2nd and Hung Cao in the 10th. We can win these races, that's why we're working hard for them… This is the future of the Republican Party — it's amazing.”
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1543 on: September 11, 2022, 07:24:35 PM »

In case anyone's wondering if Kamala Harris will run against Biden in 2024 or if she will be dropped from the ticket in 2024...not happening.

Vice President Harris said in an interview broadcast on Sunday that she would again run on President Biden’s ticket in 2024 if he decides to seek reelection.

“The president has been very clear that he intends to run again,” Harris told host Chuck Todd on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“And if he does, I will be running with him proudly,” Harris added.

Junior Chimp

« Reply #1544 on: September 11, 2022, 07:45:14 PM »

God help us. 82 year old full of dementia running for Re-Election.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1545 on: September 14, 2022, 08:01:35 AM »

In this interview with GQ, Ocasio-Cortez talks about how she’s skeptical that she could be elected president, in part because “So many people in this country hate women. And they hate women of color.”

https://www.gq.com/story/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-october-cover-profile

Over the course of our conversations, the congresswoman typically answered in a confident, fast-paced patter—each sentence closely chasing the tail of the last. But now her speech slowed to a crawl and, for the first time in the hours we had spent speaking, she broke eye contact, burying her gaze in the arm of her chair. Tears pooled in the corners of her eyes.

“I hold two contradictory things [in mind] at the same time. One is just the relentless belief that anything is possible,” she said. “But at the same time, my experience here has given me a front-row seat to how deeply and unconsciously, as well as consciously, so many people in this country hate women. And they hate women of color. People ask me questions about the future. And realistically, I can’t even tell you if I’m going to be alive in September. And that weighs very heavily on me. And it’s not just the right wing. Misogyny transcends political ideology: left, right, center. This grip of patriarchy affects all of us, not just women; men, as I mentioned before, but also, ideologically, there’s an extraordinary lack of self-awareness in so many places. And so those are two very conflicting things. I admit to sometimes believing that I live in a country that would never let that happen.”

There would be other impediments—obstacles about which Ocasio-Cortez is practical, if not exactly optimistic. “Could Obama have gotten elected without the kind of financial support that he had?” she asked, noting that her opposition to Wall Street would be a major hurdle to any further rise. “I don’t know.” Even were she theoretically to become president, then what? She’d face a system—from the Senate to the Supreme Court—both empowered and inclined to thwart her most sweeping ambitions. “There are still plenty of limitations,” she said, playing out the hypothetical. “It’s tough, it’s really tough.”

"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me. Think I'll go eat worms. ...."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1546 on: September 14, 2022, 12:52:34 PM »

Jill Biden says she has so far had no discussion with Joe about whether he’ll run for a second term:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/politics/jill-biden-2024/index.html

“Not yet. We’ve been a little bit too busy. So, not yet,” Biden said to NBC’s “Today” in a sit-down interview that aired Tuesday morning but was prerecorded Monday in Knoxville, Tennessee. “But, I’m sure it will be a discussion.”
The White House has constantly indicated Biden intends to run for reelection 2024, though more recently there have been concerns among some Democrats as to whether a second-term campaign is a fait accompli. Biden’s advanced age and low approval numbers have raised questions about his viability with voters.

CNN reported in August that a campaign is a heavy lift that not everyone in the family longs for, say two people with knowledge of internal family conversations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1547 on: September 18, 2022, 07:19:53 PM »

Biden says he’ll decide on 2024 some time after the midterms:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3649720-biden-says-he-intends-to-run-in-2024-has-not-made-a-firm-decision/

“Look, my intention as I said to begin with is that I would run again,” Biden said in an interview with “60 Minutes” that aired Sunday. “But it’s just an intention. But is it a firm decision that I run again? That remains to be seen.”
“I’m a great respecter of fate. And so, what I’m doing is I’m doing my job. I’m gonna do that job. And within the timeframe that makes sense after this next election cycle here, going into next year, make a judgment on what to do,” Biden said.

Meanwhile, Trump says that an indictment wouldn’t stop him from running for president again:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/sep/16/donald-trump-says-an-indictment-wont-deter-him-fro/

“I don’t think the people of the United States would stand for it,” Mr. Trump said. “And as you know, if a thing like that happened, I would have no prohibition against running.”

Pressed on public reaction to an indictment, the ex-president said, “They will not sit still and stand for this ultimate of hoaxes.”

Many interpreted that as an indirect warning of violence, though Mr. Trump insisted he was not trying to incite anyone and stating his opinion.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1548 on: September 19, 2022, 12:14:07 PM »

Glenn Youngkin's been on the campaign trail stumping for Republican candidates in the midterms. So far, he's stopped in Nevada and Michigan, with stops in Kansas and Arizona still to come.

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin is expected to stump for Arizona governor candidate Kari Lake next month, escalating his midterm campaign efforts ahead of a prospective 2024 presidential bid.

Youngkin is embarking on the Arizona trip as part of a broader nationwide campaign tour to bolster Republican candidates for governor. In recent weeks, he has traveled to Nevada — an early state on the 2024 GOP nominating calendar — and to Michigan, where Republicans are looking to unseat Democratic incumbents. Youngkin is headed to Kansas later this week.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1549 on: September 20, 2022, 12:10:38 AM »

Speculation continuing to swirl around Gavin Newsom.

Governor Gavin Newsom is in the midst of his re-election campaign, and yet in recent months -- with his tweets calling out red state governors and his TV ads airing in Texas and Florida -- it's felt less like he's running for statewide office and more like he's eyeing a presidential run.

His decision on Monday to veto a bill that would have legalized safe injection sites in some California cities also added to the speculation Newsom may be contemplating higher office.

"I don't think it's unusual that the California governor would be making moves that would suggest he may run for national office," political strategist Rob Stutzman told ABC7 News. "Every California governor, more or less, at some point envisions themselves in the oval office."

Joseph Cotchett, a top Democratic donor and longtime friend of the governor and President Biden, told ABC7 News he believes Newsom is setting himself up to run for president if Biden does not seek re-election.

"There's absolutely no question in my mind from what I know about him, and I may be wrong, that he will run for president," Cotchett said.

Governor Newsom has repeatedly denied he is setting himself up to run for president. He recently told the San Francisco Chronicle he has "sub-zero interest" in running.

"He may have a sub-zero interest in it now, but not if Joe Biden says I'm not going to run," he said. "If that comes out, he will move forward very fast."
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies