The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:26:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165605 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 14, 2022, 11:40:29 PM »

At least some in Biden’s orbit want him launch his ’24 campaign earlier than normal:

https://sports.yahoo.com/biden-advisers-push-early-launch-113623205.html

People involved in planning the president's campaign told Reuters that an early announcement would be a smart step for Biden, sending a signal to political donors, potential rivals inside and outside the party, as well as the general public that Biden is no lame duck and that Democrats are unified behind his agenda, personality and leadership.
Biden is having meetings with his political advisers, a source familiar with the president's thinking said, and in those meetings he keeps stressing that the attention right now needs to be on the midterms, rather than the timing of any presidential campaign.

"There is no planned date or timeframe. As the president has said before, he fully expects to run for reelection," that source said.

Meanwhile, one of Trump’s lawyers is telling him that Trump’s legal problems would go away if he announces that he’s not going to run for president again:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-lawyer-says-shes-told-192804167.html

"If he's not leading in the polls – I've sat across from him, every time he gets frustrated, I say to him: 'Mr. President, if you would like me to resolve all your litigation, you should announce that you are not running for office, and all of this will stop,'" Trump attorney Alina Habba said on Real America's Voice on Friday. "That's what they want."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1501 on: August 15, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »

Biden's inner circle indeed says he's planning on running for reelection.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1502 on: August 15, 2022, 11:11:13 PM »

Larry Hogan asked about a presidential run while in Iowa:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2022/08/11/maryland-governor-larry-hogan-flips-pork-chops-iowa-state-fair-talks-2024-prospects-gop-donald-trump/10298565002/

Hogan, a Republican who was elected twice to lead the blue state of Maryland, has been answering questions about whether he will run for president since he visited Iowa in 2019 as vice chair of the National Governor's Association. 

"I was surprised that you were asking me that way back then, but now more people seem to be," he said in an interview with the Des Moines Register. "I've said that I really am focused on finishing out my term as governor until next January. But you know, I care about country and I care about our party and I definitely want to be a voice and I want to play some role in the future. Exactly what that is, I'm not quite sure."

Chris Christie was also in Iowa this past week:

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/christie-returns-to-iowa-mulling-2024-presidential-run/
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1503 on: August 16, 2022, 03:21:39 AM »

Larry Hogan asked about a presidential run while in Iowa:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presidential/caucus/2022/08/11/maryland-governor-larry-hogan-flips-pork-chops-iowa-state-fair-talks-2024-prospects-gop-donald-trump/10298565002/

Hogan, a Republican who was elected twice to lead the blue state of Maryland, has been answering questions about whether he will run for president since he visited Iowa in 2019 as vice chair of the National Governor's Association. 

"I was surprised that you were asking me that way back then, but now more people seem to be," he said in an interview with the Des Moines Register. "I've said that I really am focused on finishing out my term as governor until next January. But you know, I care about country and I care about our party and I definitely want to be a voice and I want to play some role in the future. Exactly what that is, I'm not quite sure."

Chris Christie was also in Iowa this past week:

https://kiwaradio.com/local-news/christie-returns-to-iowa-mulling-2024-presidential-run/

Christie's time is gone
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1504 on: August 16, 2022, 08:00:48 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2022, 08:03:54 AM by Laki »

Ironically if Trump runs and he is selected as VP, he would be in an excellent position in 2028 due to increased name recognition, that can be considered a plot as well. Being tied to Trump might not be an exactly good thing depending on what he does, but it's also risky to not be like that. Scott knows that 2024 is too early and being a VP choice would dramatically improve his chances for beyond, and he's still quite young (or at least compared to the latest presidents). And remember that being VP of Trump is better than VP of a different candidate, since Trump already served one term.

Trump - if he would be the nominee - would also benefit from choosing Tim Scott for VP. And if he runs in 2024, it will likely be running to be someones VP.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1505 on: August 16, 2022, 11:07:55 AM »

Ironically if Trump runs and he is selected as VP, he would be in an excellent position in 2028 due to increased name recognition, that can be considered a plot as well. Being tied to Trump might not be an exactly good thing depending on what he does, but it's also risky to not be like that. Scott knows that 2024 is too early and being a VP choice would dramatically improve his chances for beyond, and he's still quite young (or at least compared to the latest presidents). And remember that being VP of Trump is better than VP of a different candidate, since Trump already served one term.

Trump - if he would be the nominee - would also benefit from choosing Tim Scott for VP. And if he runs in 2024, it will likely be running to be someones VP.

Unfortunately for him I’d think Dems would be favored in 2028 after another Trump term. Also, I feel that DeSantis would be more likely to pick him as a running mate than Trump would be.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1506 on: August 16, 2022, 11:46:00 AM »

Unfortunately for him I’d think Dems would be favored in 2028 after another Trump term. Also, I feel that DeSantis would be more likely to pick him as a running mate than Trump would be.

You may be right about both, but I definitely believe being VP would increase his chances if it was his ambition.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1507 on: August 16, 2022, 09:46:30 PM »

LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #1508 on: August 16, 2022, 09:51:58 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2022, 09:58:06 PM by LostInOhio »

She’s definitely no Abraham Lincoln. I’m a Democrat and feel that this is the equivalent of Republicans speculating about Tulsi Gabbard winning the Democratic nomination in ‘24 or something.

Her running would siphon more votes from Biden than it would from Trump. The 2020 election was arguably won by moderate Republicans turning away from Trump. Those people would almost certainly vote for Cheney rather than Biden or Trump if given the choice
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1509 on: August 16, 2022, 09:58:26 PM »

She’s definitely no Abraham Lincoln. I’m a Democrat and feel that this is the equivalent of Republicans speculating about Tulsi Gabbard winning the Democratic nomination in ‘24 or something.

I could easily see Tulsi running for the Republican nomination in 2024 or 2028, actually.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1510 on: August 16, 2022, 10:15:04 PM »

Her running would siphon more votes from Biden than it would from Trump. The 2020 election was arguably won by moderate Republicans turning away from Trump. Those people would almost certainly vote for Cheney rather than Biden or Trump if given the choice

The chances of Trump being the nominee have been going way down and DeSantis way up. DeSantis probably wins those voters outright.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1511 on: August 17, 2022, 05:34:03 PM »

Cheney to form new organization:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/17/cheney-launch-anti-trump-organization-after-defeat-00052344

“In coming weeks, Liz will be launching an organization to educate the American people about the ongoing threat to our Republic, and to mobilize a unified effort to oppose any Donald Trump campaign for president,” Cheney spokesperson Jeremy Adler told Playbook exclusively.

The new group, which will serve as Cheney’s (R-Wyo.) primary political vehicle as she considers whether to run for president in 2024, does not have an official name yet. An informed guess: The Great Task, which was the name of Cheney’s final ad of the campaign. The phrase is from the last sentence of the Gettysburg Address, and Cheney also referenced it in her concession speech from Jackson, Wyo., on Tuesday night.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1512 on: August 19, 2022, 07:34:58 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1513 on: August 19, 2022, 09:36:04 PM »

Pence at the Iowa State Fair, says a decision on Presidential bid will come any time after January 1.

Former Vice President Mike Pence said that he and his family would decide on a possible run for president “after the first of the year” during a stop at the Iowa State Fair on Friday.

“After the first of the year, my family and I will do as we’ve always done, and that is reflect and pray on where we might next serve, where we might contribute,” Pence said, after being asked if he would run in 2024.

The comment from the typically reserved and scripted Pence seemed to mark a shift from just a few months ago, when allies were talking up a possible spring 2023 launch. But a Pence adviser said Friday not to read too much into Pence’s comment, saying the timeline for a decision hadn’t changed.

Ted Cruz was in Clear Lake, Iowa, headlining a fundraiser for Chuck Grassley.

Conservative firebrand Sen. Ted Cruz will stop in Iowa on Thursday, on a 2022 mission that’s also sure to spark more speculation about a potential 2024 White House run.

The two-term Republican senator from Texas will headline a fundraiser for longtime GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who’s running for re-election in November’s midterms. Word of the event, which will be held in the northern Iowa city of Clear Lake, was shared first with Fox News on Tuesday.

"My friend and colleague Chuck Grassley is a champion for Iowa and the American people. Chuck understands the importance of securing the southern border and I’m proud to fight with him every day to hold the corrupt and deeply politicized Biden administration accountable on the Judiciary Committee," Cruz said in a statement.

Rick Santorum was at the Iowa State Fair, advocating for a constitutional convention.

Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum will be at the Iowa State Fair  Thursday with the Convention of States Action group.

The Pennsylvania Republican visited Iowa earlier this year with the same group, rallying at the Iowa State Capitol for the state to join calls to convene a constitutional convention to amend the U.S. Constitution. So far, 19 states have passed a resolution to convene, according to the Convention of States website. The constitution requires 34 states to pass resolutions in order to call a convention.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1514 on: August 20, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »

Pence at the Iowa State Fair, says a decision on Presidential bid will come any time after January 1.

Former Vice President Mike Pence said that he and his family would decide on a possible run for president “after the first of the year” during a stop at the Iowa State Fair on Friday.

“After the first of the year, my family and I will do as we’ve always done, and that is reflect and pray on where we might next serve, where we might contribute,” Pence said, after being asked if he would run in 2024.

The comment from the typically reserved and scripted Pence seemed to mark a shift from just a few months ago, when allies were talking up a possible spring 2023 launch. But a Pence adviser said Friday not to read too much into Pence’s comment, saying the timeline for a decision hadn’t changed.

Conservative firebrand Sen. Ted Cruz will stop in Iowa on Thursday, on a 2022 mission that’s also sure to spark more speculation about a potential 2024 White House run.

The two-term Republican senator from Texas will headline a fundraiser for longtime GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who’s running for re-election in November’s midterms. Word of the event, which will be held in the northern Iowa city of Clear Lake, was shared first with Fox News on Tuesday.

"My friend and colleague Chuck Grassley is a champion for Iowa and the American people. Chuck understands the importance of securing the southern border and I’m proud to fight with him every day to hold the corrupt and deeply politicized Biden administration accountable on the Judiciary Committee," Cruz said in a statement.

Rick Santorum was at the Iowa State Fair, advocating for a constitutional convention.

Former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum will be at the Iowa State Fair  Thursday with the Convention of States Action group.

The Pennsylvania Republican visited Iowa earlier this year with the same group, rallying at the Iowa State Capitol for the state to join calls to convene a constitutional convention to amend the U.S. Constitution. So far, 19 states have passed a resolution to convene, according to the Convention of States website. The constitution requires 34 states to pass resolutions in order to call a convention.
Never in a presidential Republic has a vice-president ran against their boss
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1515 on: August 20, 2022, 10:30:50 AM »

Not exactly; John Nance Garner attempted to be nominated at the DNC in 1940, formally challenging FDR. Obviously he didn't succeed and was dropped from the ticket.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #1516 on: August 20, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »

Not exactly; John Nance Garner attempted to be nominated at the DNC in 1940, formally challenging FDR. Obviously he didn't succeed and was dropped from the ticket.
I had forgotten about Cactus jack
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1517 on: August 20, 2022, 10:19:18 PM »

Cruz:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/ted-cruz-appeals-grassroots-conservatives-gop-insiders-2024

The senator is adding communications advisers, focusing on his podcast, Verdict, and, of course, publishing a book in September, the surest sign a presidential bid is under consideration. Under Texas law, Cruz can run for president and Senate simultaneously, meaning he would not be forced to choose between the two. “If Trump doesn’t run, he’s putting himself into position to be a serious 2024 player,” a Republican supporter said.

Romney:

https://kslnewsradio.com/1973740/sen-romney-touts-safety-of-utah-elections-says-he-wont-run-for-president-in-2024/

As for the presidency? Romney was asked about it afterward.

“No I’m not running,” Romney said.

He joked that he’s done it a couple of times before, saying “and I think two times is enough.”
Oppo

« Reply #1518 on: August 20, 2022, 11:07:47 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1519 on: August 21, 2022, 05:56:53 AM »

Biden is definitely running unless D's get shellshocked in 22 that means RH and RS D's want the Sen if nothing else that means even if Biden runs we will be in the Minority in the S in 24 because are on defense, if Rs make gains that's means minority stays until 26

D's are confident they will win but you never know until those voted are casted if it's a blue or red waves

D's we are used to disappointments on EDay the only time we overperformed was in 19927/1996 with Ross Perot split vote and 2008/12 Bush W Iraq War, we underperform I'm 2020
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1520 on: August 21, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »

Pence was at Bremer County GOP Annual Summer Grill and Chill in Waverly, Iowa yesterday.

Former Vice President Mike Pence continued to make his way through Iowa on Saturday, further fueling speculation he could be considering a 2024 presidential run.

Pence spoke at the Bremer County GOP Annual Summer Chill and Grill to advocate for Republican candidates on the ballot in November.

"In these 80 days, we need to remind the American people that we can have a strong nation, we can have secure borders, we can have a prosperous economy, we can defend all the God given liberties enshrined in our Constitution, but it will take Republican leadership at every level to do it," Pence said in his speech.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1521 on: August 21, 2022, 09:13:13 PM »

Biden is definitely running unless D's get shellshocked in 22 that means RH and RS D's want the Sen if nothing else that means even if Biden runs we will be in the Minority in the S in 24 because are on defense, if Rs make gains that's means minority stays until 26

D's are confident they will win but you never know until those voted are casted if it's a blue or red waves

D's we are used to disappointments on EDay the only time we overperformed was in 19927/1996 with Ross Perot split vote and 2008/12 Bush W Iraq War, we underperform I'm 2020
Biden is 82 years old in 2024. America doesn't need someone with DEMENTIA in the WH.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1522 on: August 22, 2022, 11:39:51 PM »

Klobuchar was asked about whether she’d consider running in 2024:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/sen-amy-klobuchar-presidential-run-2024/

"President Biden has said that he's running again and I take him at his word," Klobuchar said. "I love my job representing Minnesota in the U.S. Senate, and I think you see why with what we've been able to do the last few months. And it is great to be home getting out talking to people, getting their idea, bringing them back and, yes, going to the State Fair."

So, similar to the non-denials that Warren has given: On the surface, it sounds like it’s a denial.  Except it’s all couched in the context of “Well, Biden is presumably going to run again, so why are you asking me this?”….which dodges the question of whether she would rule it out in a scenario where Biden doesn’t run.

Meanwhile, here’s Youngkin’s latest non-denial:

https://wjla.com/news/local/governor-glenn-youngkin-virginia-2024-presidential-bid-republican-gubernatorial-candidates-gop-michigan-campaign-tudor-dixon-gretchen-whitmer-term-economy-parental-rights-education-critical-race-theory-crt-george-washington

"Are you running for president in 2024?" 7News Reporter Nick Minock asked Youngkin on Saturday during Youngkin's visit to Fairfax County.

Youngkin: “I am so excited to be supporting Republican gubernatorial candidates across the country," said Youngkin. "Michigan is going to be a great stop. We're also supporting candidates across Virginia. We are going to take back congressional seats in Virginia. Nick, my focus is on 2022. Top priority is to make Virginia the best state to live work and raise a family. 2024 is a long way off. Right now. I am focused on delivering on promises made last year that have been kept. We've got a giant agenda for the rest of this year and into next year. And 2024 will happen when 2024 gets here.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1523 on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:13 PM »

Pompeo, in South Carolina, is asked about 2024:

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article264759684.html

“We’re going to make our decision based on if we think this is the right place for us to serve,” Pompeo said. “If I come to believe I ought to become president, that I have something to offer the American people, I will run no matter who all decides to get in and who else decides not to get in the race.”
“There’s big plans for me to make sure we have a really great election this November and then we will see what the good Lord brings after that,” Pompeo said. “My wife and I are thinking, praying and trying to figure out where to serve next. It could be that we’ll decide to enter the presidential race. It may not, but we’re going to stay in this fight.”

Meanwhile, Miami Mayor Francis Suarez also isn’t ruling out a presidential run:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/miami-mayor-president-suarez-explores-presidential-run-citing-city-new-american-dream

"Look, it's a long way aways," Suarez admitted to FOX Business' Maria Bartiromo. "Right now, I'm excited to preside over the presidency of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, and try to convince other mayors across America that the Miami model works, that they need to adopt it so that they can create prosperity in their cities."

"If that continues to work, and if Miami continues to be successful," the mayor added, "then I think there's going to be tremendous amount of options available for me politically if I decide that I want to continue to serve."

Responding to whether or not the Republican mayor has started planning for a presidential campaign, Suarez explained he's currently focused on delivering "due diligence" as Miami's mayor.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1524 on: August 26, 2022, 08:23:29 AM »

Pete Buttigeig is heading to the Minnesota State Fair.

Klobuchar said on Thursday, she's stopping at the Farmer's Union, the cattle barns, and will be accompanying U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg as he visits the fair.

"He's from Indiana, he thinks he's seen everything, but he hasn't seen the Minnesota State Fair, which is the biggest state fair in the country," Klobuchar said. "I will be bringing him to the butter carving."

From the same article, Amy Klobuchar on her 2024 Presidential plans.

Asked what she plans to tell people if she's asked if she's running for president again in 2024, she said she will reply, "I'm headed to the butter carving booth."
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies