The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:36:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165463 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: March 15, 2022, 11:27:50 PM »

I don't think so.  "NPR reports that Trump wants to run in 2024" is just Charles Cooke's summary in this tweet that links to his own column, whose only mention of NPR is:

"Donald Trump hasn’t said for sure whether he will run in 2024,” reports NPR. “But he’s having a hell of a lot of fun teasing it.”

That column links to this NPR story: https://www.npr.org/2022/03/14/1086313468/braving-rain-and-cold-trumps-supporters-soak-up-hints-of-another-run

Which doesn't include any original content about Trump's intentions.  It's just the same stuff that's already been reported, about how he's dropping hints.

Trump seems to be teasing a run in 2024, but he always likes to tease things. But is he taking any steps about actually being serious about following through in 2024?

Isn't he deliberately putting off the actual decision as long as possible for campaign finance purposes?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1276 on: March 15, 2022, 11:31:52 PM »

I don't think so.  "NPR reports that Trump wants to run in 2024" is just Charles Cooke's summary in this tweet that links to his own column, whose only mention of NPR is:

"Donald Trump hasn’t said for sure whether he will run in 2024,” reports NPR. “But he’s having a hell of a lot of fun teasing it.”

That column links to this NPR story: https://www.npr.org/2022/03/14/1086313468/braving-rain-and-cold-trumps-supporters-soak-up-hints-of-another-run

Which doesn't include any original content about Trump's intentions.  It's just the same stuff that's already been reported, about how he's dropping hints.

Trump seems to be teasing a run in 2024, but he always likes to tease things. But is he taking any steps about actually being serious about following through in 2024?

Isn't he deliberately putting off the actual decision as long as possible for campaign finance purposes?

That’s not exactly evidence he’s serious about running.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1277 on: March 15, 2022, 11:33:19 PM »

What would qualify as evidence to you that he is serious about running? Because to me it looks like he's done everything apart from say "I am running for president in 2024".
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1278 on: March 15, 2022, 11:35:07 PM »

What would qualify as evidence to you that he is serious about running? Because to me it looks like he's done everything apart from say "I am running for president in 2024".

I’m just feeling like he’s just teasing. He may still run yes but maybe he doesn’t.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1279 on: March 15, 2022, 11:36:02 PM »

I’m just feeling like he’s just teasing. He may still run yes but maybe he doesn’t.
Like I said though, what evidence would you need to prove he is being serious?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1280 on: March 15, 2022, 11:54:09 PM »

I’m just skeptical until he’s officially in. I mean I was expecting Sununu to run for Senate until he didn’t.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1281 on: March 16, 2022, 12:35:14 AM »

I’m just skeptical until he’s officially in. I mean I was expecting Sununu to run for Senate until he didn’t.
Except Sununu never really commented on whether he would run for Senate, he just said "we'll see". It would be different if he was telling everyone he knew he was running and consistently called himself the "next Senator from New Hampshire" and that he's gonna have to "win the Senate race".
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2022, 12:37:53 AM »

Except Sununu never really commented on whether he would run for Senate, he just said "we'll see". It would be different if he was telling everyone he knew he was running and consistently called himself the "next Senator from New Hampshire" and that he's gonna have to "win the Senate race".

Anyway if it were clear Trump is running I don’t think there’d be any discourse around DeSantis and everyone else.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1283 on: March 16, 2022, 01:55:59 AM »

Anyway if it were clear Trump is running I don’t think there’d be any discourse around DeSantis and everyone else.
Its clear Michelle Obama's not running yet she's included in every dem primary poll. Online speculation is irrelevant.
Pulaski

« Reply #1284 on: March 16, 2022, 03:28:49 AM »

I don't know why everyone is pretending there's a chance Trump won't run. Unless they're counting on him dying, none of Cruz/DeSantis et al are going to be running in 2024.

I'd go further; I don't know why anyone's pretending he isn't a lock to be the Republican nominee. Sure this is the tea leaves thread, and it definitely looks like Pompeo at a minimum is running, but it's irrelevant really; Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2024.

I think most people expect him to be the nominee if he runs. The people just don’t seem to be convinced he will actually pull the trigger.

I really struggle with people who don't think he'll run; literally everything he's said and done indicates he will, and based on everything we know about his compulsive need to be in the public eye and to be number one, it's impossible to imagine him bowing out. The only way I see him not running is if his health takes a drastic downturn (unlikely; he seems frustratingly spry for his age + BMI) or he's barred from running for whatever reason.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1285 on: March 16, 2022, 04:43:28 AM »

I don't know why everyone is pretending there's a chance Trump won't run. Unless they're counting on him dying, none of Cruz/DeSantis et al are going to be running in 2024.

I'd go further; I don't know why anyone's pretending he isn't a lock to be the Republican nominee. Sure this is the tea leaves thread, and it definitely looks like Pompeo at a minimum is running, but it's irrelevant really; Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2024.

I think most people expect him to be the nominee if he runs. The people just don’t seem to be convinced he will actually pull the trigger.

I really struggle with people who don't think he'll run; literally everything he's said and done indicates he will, and based on everything we know about his compulsive need to be in the public eye and to be number one, it's impossible to imagine him bowing out. The only way I see him not running is if his health takes a drastic downturn (unlikely; he seems frustratingly spry for his age + BMI) or he's barred from running for whatever reason.

How does he get barred from running.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1286 on: March 16, 2022, 01:49:52 PM »

Trump reveals Mike Pence won't be his running mate in 2024.

Former President Trump appeared to suggest in an interview that former Vice President Mike Pence would not be his 2024 running mate if Trump opts to seek a second term again.

In an interview with the Washington Examiner on Tuesday, Trump said of Pence running alongside him: “I don’t think the people would accept it.”

Trump said that he was “disappointed in Mike” after Pence refused to contest the 2020 presidential election results during Congress's official count of Electoral College votes, which Trump pressured him to do.

“Mike thought he was going to be a human conveyor belt, that no matter how fraudulent the votes, you have to send them up to the Old Crow,” the former president told the Examiner, using a nickname he has for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)

“But that turned out to be wrong. Because now, as you know, they are feverishly working to try and get it so that the vice president cannot do what Mike said he couldn’t do,” Trump said.

Trump appeared to be referring to attempts by lawmakers on Capitol Hill to reform an 1887 election law that details how Electoral College votes are counted by Congress. The vice president oversees that count, which has historically been considered a ceremonious formality.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1287 on: March 16, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »

Pulaski

« Reply #1288 on: March 17, 2022, 02:20:46 AM »

It's not going to happen, but Congress can theoretically bar him based on the 14th right?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1289 on: March 17, 2022, 03:21:36 AM »

It's not going to happen, but Congress can theoretically bar him based on the 14th right?
However using the same simple majority vote, congress can UNbar him once Republicans get in power.
Also I expect the Supreme Court to weigh in on whether Trump legally "incited insurrection", as that is a requirement for him to be banned. As the Supreme Court has always been very very careful about what constituted illegal speech, it's basically impossible it would stand up in court.

So if Democrats bar him from running, it will either be overturned once Republicans take over, or overturned via the Supreme Court. And then Republicans get the massively huge optics boost from Democrats trying to ban their biggest opponent from running for President and making him look like a victim of political censorship.

And people still call the 14th amendment banning Trump a good idea...
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1290 on: March 17, 2022, 08:10:15 AM »

However using the same simple majority vote, congress can UNbar him once Republicans get in power.
Also I expect the Supreme Court to weigh in on whether Trump legally "incited insurrection", as that is a requirement for him to be banned. As the Supreme Court has always been very very careful about what constituted illegal speech, it's basically impossible it would stand up in court.

So if Democrats bar him from running, it will either be overturned once Republicans take over, or overturned via the Supreme Court. And then Republicans get the massively huge optics boost from Democrats trying to ban their biggest opponent from running for President and making him look like a victim of political censorship.

Does this work different from the disqualification method through impeachment.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1291 on: March 17, 2022, 08:49:12 AM »

It is different. Impeachment requires 2/3 majority, 14th amendment needs only a simple majority.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1292 on: March 17, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »

It is different. Impeachment requires 2/3 majority, 14th amendment needs only a simple majority.

I meant in terms of overturning it.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1293 on: March 17, 2022, 08:55:36 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/17/sanders-khanna-presidential-bid-2024-00018017

Sanders camp pushing Ro Khanna for presidential bid if Biden doesn't run.

REALLY SMART idea. None of the Squad are electable at all, as I've said 100 times before Khanna or Welch are the only progressives who can mount a successful presidential run.
Khanna is real presidential material imo.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1294 on: March 17, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »

I don't think the so called "14th Amendment route" even exists as described. There is a congressional procedure for removing disqualification in the amendment, but the actual disqualification procedure is never described. As far as I can tell it was a judicial procedure. There was enforcement legislation passed in 1870, but it was repealed ages ago.

Aside from being a horrible, nation-breaking idea, disqualifying via the 14th Amendment is probably not a legal possibility without a conviction of some kind.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1295 on: March 18, 2022, 10:18:19 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/17/sanders-khanna-presidential-bid-2024-00018017

REALLY SMART idea. None of the Squad are electable at all, as I've said 100 times before Khanna or Welch are the only progressives who can mount a successful presidential run.

Ayanna Pressley's probably electable, but there's no evidence she's even interested in running for President.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1296 on: March 18, 2022, 11:21:30 PM »

Ayanna Pressley's probably electable, but there's no evidence she's even interested in running for President.

The general consensus on Pressley is that the next Senate opening in MA is hers.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1297 on: March 18, 2022, 11:30:04 PM »

I honestly think it's just a cope from people who don't want him to run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1298 on: March 19, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »

Christie will be in New Hampshire on Monday to speak at the “Politics & Eggs” series:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/is-chris-christie-running-for-president-in-2024-possible-gop-candidate-in-nh-on-monday/2672753/

The "Politics & Eggs" series is a forum for presidential candidates and other political leaders as they visit New Hampshire. While it doesn't mean a candidate is necessarily exploring a run, it has hosted hundreds of potential presidential hopefuls over the years.

Christie's speech is the first "Politics & Eggs" talk of 2022 and the first one held in person since before the 2020 New Hampshire Primary. The last in-person guest was Bernie Sanders on Feb. 7, 2020.

Other potential Republican presidential contenders in 2024 include former President Donald Trump, his former Vice President Mike Pence, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and a host of others. Politico recently reported that several potential GOP candidates are already spending big money to build online fundraising machines.

Meanwhile, Buzzfeed News says that operatives in Iowa and NH are hearing more from Tom Cotton than any other prospective 2024 candidate:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kadiagoba/tom-cotton-2024-republican-president-iowa

“He has really been pounding the pavement,” New Hampshire committee member Juliana Bergeron told BuzzFeed News in a phone interview. “And honestly, I joked that ‘I was beginning to think he lived here.’ But he doesn't.”

Iowa state party chair Jeff Kaufmann told BuzzFeed News, “Tom Cotton not only has been to the state multiple times, he's very strategic in where he's going. I mean, he's made a point to appear on the Missouri River. He's made a point to appear on the Mississippi. He's made a point to go to northern Iowa."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1299 on: March 19, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »

Here’s the relevant quote from Khanna himself in that article:

In an interview, Khanna made clear that he had no intention of challenging Biden and expressed strong support for his reelection. But he did not close the door to 2028.

“I’m not running in 2024,” Khanna said. “I fully expect the president to run and intend to support him strongly. If for some reason he didn’t, that would be very disappointing, but there are a number of other candidates who I think I could get behind who would make sure that the Democrats beat Donald Trump.”

As for a race beyond that, he said that “after the ’24 cycle will be a time where America will start to look to the future.”

In any case, I’m not sure about Khanna’s intentions this time around, but a reminder that he made a couple of Iowa visits in 2019, and even spent $ on newspsaper ads in the state:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/15/silicon-valley-to-silicon-prairie-ro-khanna-makes-a-splash-in-iowa-even-though-hes-not-running-for-president/

Nominally, this was to aid Sanders’s campaign there, but it also seems likely that he was also aiming to set himself for a future run.  After all, candidates like Gillibrand and Klobuchar campaigned for Hillary Clinton in early primary states Iowa and New Hampshire back in 2015/2016, one cycle before their 2020 campaigns.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies