The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:13:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 85
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2024?” tea leaves thread  (Read 165668 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: March 02, 2022, 02:24:37 AM »

I don't know why everyone is pretending there's a chance Trump won't run. Unless they're counting on him dying, none of Cruz/DeSantis et al are going to be running in 2024.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1251 on: March 05, 2022, 05:03:35 AM »

Kinzinger on 2024:

https://rollcall.com/2022/02/28/kinzinger-to-keep-fight-against-trumpism-going-after-house-but-hedges-on-2024/

Asked outside the ballroom if he was hinting at a presidential race, he said the super PAC he leads, Country First, has been building support and he wants to “see where that goes.”

“I am excited about continuing the fight for the country. At some point you’ve got to look and say, ‘Is the House the best place to do it?’ I think 12 years in the House is a long time for me. But I don’t intend to give up on the fight for the country,” he said.

Asked if he was definitely not running for president, Kinzinger, who turned 44 on Sunday, replied: “I’m definitely not announcing I’m running for president.”

Cheney/Kinzinger 2024 ticket here we go! Can't wait for them to get 0.6% of the vote, waste hundreds of millions of establishment neolib/neocon dollars and be permanently humiliated.

I really doubt Kinzinger would choose Cheney as his running mate, or any other member of the House. I think he would look at people like Larry Hogan, Charlie Baker, or even Karyn Polito to run with.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1252 on: March 07, 2022, 11:52:53 PM »

Trump on the prospect of making another presidential run: “We have to do it.  We have to do it.”:

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2022/03/we-have-to-do-it-former-president-donald-trump-says-of-potential-2024-white-house-run.html

“We’ve already won two presidential elections,” Trump claimed without presenting evidence of a second victory. “And now I feel obligated that we have to really look strongly at doing it again. We are looking at it very, very strongly. We have to do it. We have to do it.”

Trump’s comments mirrored those from his speech a few weeks ago at the the Conservative Political Action Conference.

“On November 2024, they will find out like never before,” Trump told the Orlando crowd last month. “We did it twice and we’ll do it again, we’re going to be doing it again a third time.”
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1253 on: March 08, 2022, 12:15:55 PM »

Hillary Clinton was on Morning Joe this morning.  Here’s the video:

At about the 9:40 mark, Mika Brzezinski asks her this:

“Are you open to running for president again?”

And Clinton’s response is to laugh, and then say “no”.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #1254 on: March 08, 2022, 02:19:59 PM »

Hillary Clinton was on Morning Joe this morning.  Here’s the video:

At about the 9:40 mark, Mika Brzezinski asks her this:

“Are you open to running for president again?”

And Clinton’s response is to laugh, and then say “no”.

I knew she wasn’t running again
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1255 on: March 08, 2022, 10:13:21 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/597295-pence-does-not-rule-out-2024-white-house-bid-in-new-interview?rl=1

Former Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday declined to rule out a potential bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, saying that he and his family will “consider how we might participate in that process” when the time is right.

Asked in an interview by Fox Business’s Maria Bartiroma whether he wants former President Donald Trump to run again in 2024 and if he is interested in a future leadership role, Pence demurred, saying that his focus is on the 2022 midterm elections and helping Republicans reclaim their majorities in the House and Senate.

“You know, all of my focus right now is on 2022. I think we have a historic opportunity to reclaim majorities in the House and the Senate and to elect great Republican governors around America,” Pence said. 
JMT

« Reply #1256 on: March 10, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1257 on: March 10, 2022, 04:24:16 PM »

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to run against Tester? That's a race he could (and should) actually win, rather than President.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #1258 on: March 10, 2022, 04:35:41 PM »

…who?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1259 on: March 12, 2022, 07:53:33 PM »

Trump’s doing an event in South Carolina tonight:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2022/03/12/trump-descends-on-s-c-and-splits-its-republican-party-00016822

Meanwhile, Pence has been on a multi-country overseas trip.  He visited both Israel and Morocco this past week, and also stopped by the Poland-Ukraine border to meet with Ukrainian refugees:

https://jewishinsider.com/2022/03/mike-pence-2024-republican-primary-election-adelson/
https://news.yahoo.com/mike-pence-knocks-trump-and-lays-the-groundwork-for-possible-presidential-run-212200455.html

https://twitter.com/Mike_Pence/status/1501953410135994374

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1260 on: March 12, 2022, 08:05:49 PM »

Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1261 on: March 12, 2022, 10:56:29 PM »

This is the 50th time we've gotten the "unofficial campaign announcement". We all know he's gonna run.

1. He has basically said he's running over and over and over again
2. People in contact with him say that he tells everyone he's running in private
3. Everyone who knows him and most GOP politicians are saying he's gonna run
4. He's obsessed with installing governors/secretaries of state/attorney generals in preparation to steal another election, which he would only do if he plans on running again (Trump wouldn't care to steal an election for someone else)
5. He reportedly is getting involved with Senate/congress races to ensure he has a pro-Trump congress for a second term
6. Again, every single time something comes out from behind-the-scenes in Trumpworld, it has to do with Trump doing something to try and increase his chances of running again
7. Trump is still incredibly involved with politics. Trump wouldn't want to be a "kingmaker", as the only thing he cares about is his own power and ego, what could they possibly offer him? Right now his litmus test is being willing to overturn another election, which Trump would only care about if he's running again
8. He's said that the reason he can't announce he's running for President yet is that when he announces he has to abide by campaign laws and the media has to limit his airtime and stuff
9. Trump has been pressuring Republican politicians to declare they won't run against Trump if he runs, DeSantis not doing so is a major reason he's getting on his nerves
10. He's basically said he's running like 10 times already geez how much more do you need?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1262 on: March 13, 2022, 07:25:35 AM »

This is the 50th time we've gotten the "unofficial campaign announcement". We all know he's gonna run.

1. He has basically said he's running over and over and over again
2. People in contact with him say that he tells everyone he's running in private
3. Everyone who knows him and most GOP politicians are saying he's gonna run
4. He's obsessed with installing governors/secretaries of state/attorney generals in preparation to steal another election, which he would only do if he plans on running again (Trump wouldn't care to steal an election for someone else)
5. He reportedly is getting involved with Senate/congress races to ensure he has a pro-Trump congress for a second term
6. Again, every single time something comes out from behind-the-scenes in Trumpworld, it has to do with Trump doing something to try and increase his chances of running again
7. Trump is still incredibly involved with politics. Trump wouldn't want to be a "kingmaker", as the only thing he cares about is his own power and ego, what could they possibly offer him? Right now his litmus test is being willing to overturn another election, which Trump would only care about if he's running again
8. He's said that the reason he can't announce he's running for President yet is that when he announces he has to abide by campaign laws and the media has to limit his airtime and stuff
9. Trump has been pressuring Republican politicians to declare they won't run against Trump if he runs, DeSantis not doing so is a major reason he's getting on his nerves
10. He's basically said he's running like 10 times already geez how much more do you need?

The media ought to ask him - as often as possible - "Since you have repeatedly said that the last election was stolen from you, how can you be sure that the next one won't be stolen from you as well? How can you possibly win 2024 if you still have massive numbers of enemies determined to make sure you won't win, and they can still distort the election results, just like you claim they did last time?" That question needs to be asked hundreds of times over the next two and a half years.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #1263 on: March 13, 2022, 09:09:53 AM »

Meanwhile, Pence has been on a multi-country overseas trip.  He visited both Israel and Morocco this past week, and also stopped by the Poland-Ukraine border to meet with Ukrainian refugees

Worth mentioning that on this trip, Pence met with Kahanist and extremist settler figures and toured with them in Hebron's Jewish settlement, one of the most extremist and violent settlements in the West Bank. These include MK Itamar Ben Gvir and far right figure Baruch Marzel, both students of Kahana (whose movement is designated as a terrorist organization in the US) and were known for praising mass murderer Baruch Goldstein.

This is the equivalent of, say, Benny Gantz going to the U.S. and meeting with Proud Boys and Ku Klux Klan.
Pulaski

« Reply #1264 on: March 13, 2022, 11:10:15 PM »

I don't know why everyone is pretending there's a chance Trump won't run. Unless they're counting on him dying, none of Cruz/DeSantis et al are going to be running in 2024.

I'd go further; I don't know why anyone's pretending he isn't a lock to be the Republican nominee. Sure this is the tea leaves thread, and it definitely looks like Pompeo at a minimum is running, but it's irrelevant really; Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2024.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1265 on: March 14, 2022, 12:28:49 AM »

I'd go further; I don't know why anyone's pretending he isn't a lock to be the Republican nominee. Sure this is the tea leaves thread, and it definitely looks like Pompeo at a minimum is running, but it's irrelevant really; Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2024.
I think a few others like Pence (LMAO) are also going to run regardless of Trump running, but it'll be irrelevant as despite what CNN want people to think, Trump's hold on the Republican party is par to none.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1266 on: March 14, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »

I think most people expect him to be the nominee if he runs. The people just don’t seem to be convinced he will actually pull the trigger.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1267 on: March 14, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »

AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1268 on: March 14, 2022, 01:28:38 PM »

The media ought to ask him - as often as possible - "Since you have repeatedly said that the last election was stolen from you, how can you be sure that the next one won't be stolen from you as well? How can you possibly win 2024 if you still have massive numbers of enemies determined to make sure you won't win, and they can still distort the election results, just like you claim they did last time?" That question needs to be asked hundreds of times over the next two and a half years.

They should ask him that if the election was stolen from him in 2024 does he know he would be breaking the twenty-second amendment if he runs again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »

Pompeo teased 2024 in a speech in Kansas this weekend:

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article259352544.html

“I was in Iowa yesterday. That’s not a coincidence either,” Pompeo told several hundred audience members at the Hyatt Regency.

The former congressman and CIA director, who joked that he’s now unemployed, has visited Iowa three times since Trump left office at the beginning of 2021.

“This fight for our families, this fight for our conservative values, is real and it is worthy. I don’t know what I’ll be doing in 2023 or 2024. I can’t tell you that,” Pompeo said.

Meanwhile, here’s a story on the anti-Trump GOP primary:

https://apnews.com/article/2024-elections-anti-trump-republicans-b62ae9bb1ee38bf3ec18da59352bf3dd

Those close to Cheney, Hogan and Kinzinger expect one of them, if not more, to launch a presidential bid after the 2022 midterms. While all three are nationally known to some degree, their goal would not necessarily be to win the presidency. Above all, they want to hinder Trump’s return to the White House, at least compared with 2020, when his allies cleared the field of any Republican opponents and persuaded some states to cancel primary contests altogether.

“It’s there as an option, but it’s not necessarily because this is all some big plan so I can be in the White House,” Kinzinger told The Associated Press when asked about his timeline for deciding on a presidential run. “It’s looking and saying, ‘Is there going to be a voice out there that can represent from that megaphone the importance of defending this country and democracy and what America is about?’ There certainly, I’m sure within the next year or so, will be a point at which you have to make a decision.
Hogan’s advocacy group, America United, has millions in the bank, according to an adviser. To strengthen his network, Hogan is planning to travel to Iowa and New Hampshire — the first and second states on the traditional presidential primary calendar — to stump for local candidates in coming months.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1270 on: March 14, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »

At the very least, they will do the ground work so that they can run if Trump falls apart (politically or physically). If Bush 41 could go from 88% approval to losing re-election, Trump can lose the nomination by a landslide. Not that he necessarily will, but if he has a health crisis, or is revealed to have secretly been an anamatronic operated by Putin's pet cockatoo, those Republicans with presidential aspirations will want to have their campaign apparatus in place. So I think we will see other Republicans preparing to run, and delaying their announcements either until Trump is out, or as long as possible.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1271 on: March 15, 2022, 03:09:38 PM »

NPR saying he's gonna do it.

Just announce it already man, put us out of our misery
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1272 on: March 15, 2022, 03:35:36 PM »

I don't think so.  "NPR reports that Trump wants to run in 2024" is just Charles Cooke's summary in this tweet that links to his own column, whose only mention of NPR is:

"Donald Trump hasn’t said for sure whether he will run in 2024,” reports NPR. “But he’s having a hell of a lot of fun teasing it.”

That column links to this NPR story: https://www.npr.org/2022/03/14/1086313468/braving-rain-and-cold-trumps-supporters-soak-up-hints-of-another-run

Which doesn't include any original content about Trump's intentions.  It's just the same stuff that's already been reported, about how he's dropping hints.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1273 on: March 15, 2022, 03:39:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/1503811773153095690

NPR saying he's gonna do it.

Just announce it already man, put us out of our misery

Although I'm not actually convinced he's going to do it, it would definitely increase the chances Biden runs again. At least unless his health deteriorates.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1274 on: March 15, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »

I don't think so.  "NPR reports that Trump wants to run in 2024" is just Charles Cooke's summary in this tweet that links to his own column, whose only mention of NPR is:

"Donald Trump hasn’t said for sure whether he will run in 2024,” reports NPR. “But he’s having a hell of a lot of fun teasing it.”

That column links to this NPR story: https://www.npr.org/2022/03/14/1086313468/braving-rain-and-cold-trumps-supporters-soak-up-hints-of-another-run

Which doesn't include any original content about Trump's intentions.  It's just the same stuff that's already been reported, about how he's dropping hints.

Trump seems to be teasing a run in 2024, but he always likes to tease things. But is he taking any steps about actually being serious about following through in 2024?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies