US Religious Enclaves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:52:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  US Religious Enclaves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Religious Enclaves  (Read 1540 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2019, 12:13:14 PM by Dr. RI »

I'm waist-deep in a project about mapping US church attendance and politics, so something which might be helpful to me and interesting in general would be coming up with a list of towns or other pockets of particularly strong adherence to a particular religion/denomination. Some I know of off the top of my head (italicized were added):

Brethren
Floyd, VA

Catholic
Ave Maria, FL
Carey, OH
Cottonwood, ID
Hays, KS
Hyattsville, MD
Maria Stein, OH (and the rest of the Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches)
Ottawa, OH (?)
Steubenville, OH (?)
Wishek/Ashley, ND (and environs down into SD)

Eastern/Oriental Orthodox
Gervais/Bethlehem Village, OR
Glendale, CA
Nikolaevsk, AK
(various small towns on the Kenai Peninsula and in Lake and Peninsula Borough)

LDS
Buena Vista, VA
Crystal City, VA
Globe, AZ
Laie, HI
Mesa, AZ
Rexburg, ID

Lutheran
Frankenmuth, MI

Mennonite/Amish
Berlin, OH
Elkhart/Goshen, IN
Hesston/Hillsboro/Newton, KS
Lancaster, PA

Reformed
Holland, MI
Lynden, WA
Oostburg, WI
Pella, IA
Sioux Center, IA

Seventh Day Adventist
College Place, WA

Judaism
Borough Park, NY
Kings Point, FL (?)
Kings Point, NY
Lakewood, NJ
New Square/Monsey/Spring Valley, NY

Islam (Shia)
Dearborn, MI

Hindu
Fairfield, IA (kinda)
New Vrindaban, WV

I'd very much like to know of any others you can think of or any corrections to the above. The big, obvious ones like Mormon Utah or Cajun Louisiana aren't quite what I'm going for here.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »

Laie, HI; Rexburg, ID; and Nauvoo, IL for Mormons.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 05:50:50 PM »

Laie is a good one I forgot about. Are there really that many Mormons left in Nauvoo or Independence, MO?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »

Steubenville, Ohio isn't very Catholic as a percentage of the population, although it does have a more passionate adherence than most places. I guess it depends on exactly what you're looking for.

A very small one in Ohio I know if is Carey.

As for Ottawa, it's not so much the Village of Ottawa itself (as it is with Carey), but the entire surrounding area.

For the Reformed, there's also Oostburg, WI

For Lutherans, there's Frankenmuth, MI
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »

Laie is a good one I forgot about. Are there really that many Mormons left in Nauvoo or Independence, MO?

I've been to Nauvoo, and the current town is up on a ridge and seemed quite Catholic.  Old Nauvoo is down on a flat by the river, seems prone to flooding, and is basically just preserved for tourists with a large welcome/interpretive center.  Lots of Mormon tourists when we were there and they must have a regular staff that live somewhere, but the staff may be more of the mission type than permanent.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »

Newberry County, SC isn't so Lutheran as to be an enclave, but it is sufficiently Lutheran to be the most Lutheran county in the southeast US, an artifact of the German settlers who came to the Dutch Fork area in colonial times. (The Dutch Fork is the area between and along the Saluda and Broad Rivers before they become the Congaree.) Some became Methodists, Baptists, or Episcopalians over the years, but enuf remained true that it's one of the major denominations around here.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »

St. Mary's, Kansas is not just a Catholic enclave, but a SSPX Catholic enclave. SSPX is a super-trad sect with "no canonical status in the Church". It's home to St. Mary's College. Pat Buchanan actually beat Al Gore in the city in 2000.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 08:38:40 PM »

St. Mary's, Kansas is not just a Catholic enclave, but a SSPX Catholic enclave. SSPX is a super-trad sect with "no canonical status in the Church". It's home to St. Mary's College. Pat Buchanan actually beat Al Gore in the city in 2000.

Further out along the trad spectrum, Still River, Massachusetts and Richmond, New Hampshire are bastions of Feeneyism (a position on the salvation of non-Catholics so exclusionary that it was condemned even before Nostra aetate; even the FSSP and SSPX types I've known think Feeneyites are nuts), although iirc the communities are too small to really show up in the towns' voting patterns.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »

Still forgot Rexburg, ID.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »

I grew up in Sterling Heights, MI (Macomb County). Even though I was a precocious reader from a young age and knew a TON of facts, it wasn't until I was 14 that I learned that Catholics were not the majority in the US.

However, you're looking for geographic oddities (by the looks of it). I'm not sure an Italian-Polish-German enclave in the Midwest is what you're looking for.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 01:12:44 AM »

Sorry for the necro but I thought this ought to be updated since it's an interesting topic.

Jewish:
South Williamsburg, NY, NY
Cheswolde, Baltimore, MD
Beverly Hills, CA

Islam:
Hamtramck, MI

Scientology:
Clearwater, FL

Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »

Some heavily Jewish towns in Massachusetts include Newton and Brookline near Boston and Longmeadow near Springfield. Newton and Brookline are adjacent; a Boston-area Jewish friend of mine calls them Jewton and Baruchline. I don't think they're predominantly Jewish exactly, but they're (as far as I know) the only area in Massachusetts where you can find a heavy concentration of the sorts of Jewish amenities--Judaica stores, glatt kosher delis--you might find in New York or South Florida. Longmeadow is a smaller and less famous example but might be more heavily Jewish as a percentage of its lower overall population. The two areas are (again, as far as I know) the only places in New England to have eruvim.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »

Some heavily Jewish towns in Massachusetts include Newton and Brookline near Boston and Longmeadow near Springfield. Newton and Brookline are adjacent; a Boston-area Jewish friend of mine calls them Jewton and Baruchline. I don't think they're predominantly Jewish exactly, but they're (as far as I know) the only area in Massachusetts where you can find a heavy concentration of the sorts of Jewish amenities--Judaica stores, glatt kosher delis--you might find in New York or South Florida. Longmeadow is a smaller and less famous example but might be more heavily Jewish as a percentage of its lower overall population. The two areas are (again, as far as I know) the only places in New England to have eruvim.

That Wikipedia page links to this one, according to which many more places in New England have an eruv.
It lists six in Connecticut, seven in Massachusetts, and two in Rhode Island. It also says that the list is incomplete.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 11:52:48 PM »

Amish: Arthur, Illinois, and surrounding area
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 11:58:27 PM »

That Wikipedia page links to this one, according to which many more places in New England have an eruv.
It lists six in Connecticut, seven in Massachusetts, and two in Rhode Island. It also says that the list is incomplete.

I stand corrected! I don't know how I didn't know Brandeis University or Newport, Rhode Island had one.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »

Oh, also I know the eastern part of Tazewell County, Illinois, has a heavy concentration of Apostolic Christians and Mennonites who are very devout and weekly church attendees. Other than the Amish areas it may be the most religious part of the state.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 06:47:43 PM »

Jasper and the surrounding communities are a German catholic enclave in southern Indiana.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies