How did most racist white southerners vote in every election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:59:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did most racist white southerners vote in every election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How did most racist white southerners vote in every election?  (Read 2174 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 01:33:13 AM »

I'll just say they continued voting Democrat for longer than people here would believe. The strongest areas for Thurmond and Wallace in the south were some of the last counties to flip Republican, many of them took until after Bill Clinton. There's counties in northern Alabama that voted for Gore and against interracial marriage in 2000.

This is true, but of course, it can't be forgotten that virtually all the Thurmond-Wallace counties, bar the ones in the Black Belt where blacks were disenfranchised prior to 1965, went overwhelmingly for Nixon in 1972. Those Northern Alabama counties which you mention (i.e. Colbert, Lawrence Counties) were among them. Those counties did revert to the Democrats in 1976, and it wasn't until George W. Bush won them in 2004 that they flipped Republican permanently. I believe these same counties also voted for Mondale in 1984.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 04:04:39 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2019, 05:31:01 AM by Intell »

I'll just say they continued voting Democrat for longer than people here would believe. The strongest areas for Thurmond and Wallace in the south were some of the last counties to flip Republican, many of them took until after Bill Clinton. There's counties in northern Alabama that voted for Gore and against interracial marriage in 2000.

Um no?

I'm referring to his 1948 presidential run, where he got overwhelming majorities in 3 southern states and decent percentages in other states. Before 1948 these states voted 80+% Democrat. The fact that he was a Republican later doesn't mean many would be Truman voters voted for him in 1948.

In AL there was no democratic candidate so let's ignore that. in LA, MS and SC, the strongest counties for Truman/weakest counties for Thurmmond were the ones who remained more democratic through Reagan and till Al Gore.

Tishomingo County, MS (trend downplayed due to lack of poor white participation in the state):

Truman: 37.7%
Dukakis: 47.9%

Allen Parish, LA:

Truman: 62%
Dukakis: 57.9%

SC similar trends can be seen, though much less so (even than in MS), due to how little poor whites voted in that state.

Meanwhile counties that most heavily voted for Thurmmond were counties where the whites of that counties voted overwhelmingly for Goldwater and became republican after 1972.

The strongest areas for Thurmond were ones which s2ng republican heavily, voting for Goldwater then solidly for Republicans. The weakest areas for Thurmond meanwhile were the counties that voted for Johnson and then remained more democratic.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »

Um no?

I'm referring to his 1948 presidential run, where he got overwhelming majorities in 3 southern states and decent percentages in other states. Before 1948 these states voted 80+% Democrat. The fact that he was a Republican later doesn't mean many would be Truman voters voted for him in 1948.

In AL there was no democratic candidate so let's ignore that. in LA, MS and SC, the strongest counties for Truman/weakest counties for Thurmmond were the ones who remained more democratic through Reagan and till Al Gore.

Tishomingo County, MS (trend downplayed due to lack of poor white participation in the state):

Allen Parish, LA:

SC similar trends can be seen, though much less so (even than in MS), due to how little poor whites voted in that state.

Meanwhile counties that most heavily voted for Thurmmond were counties where the whites of that counties voted overwhelmingly for Goldwater and became republican after 1972.

The strongest areas for Thurmond were ones which s2ng republican heavily, voting for Goldwater then solidly for Republicans.
The weakest areas for Thurmond meanwhile were the counties that voted for Johnson and then remained more democratic.

the best goldwater counties are generally more D because of white people there being the most scared of an emergent black majority.  Overall its a mix but Clinton came close to 40% and even landslided in all of Goldwaters best counties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_County,_Mississippi#Politics 82% C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noxubee_County,_Mississippi#Politics 78% Clinton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amite_County,_Mississippi#Politics 40% Clinton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leake_County,_Mississippi#Politics 42%
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »

Um no?

Allen Parish, LA:

The strongest areas for Thurmond were ones which swng republican heavily, voting for Goldwater then solidly for Republicans.
The weakest areas for Thurmond meanwhile were the counties that voted for Johnson and then remained more democratic.

the best goldwater counties are generally more D because of white people there being the most scared of an emergent black majority.  Overall its a mix but Clinton came close to 40% and even landslided in all of Goldwaters best counties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_County,_Mississippi#Politics 82% C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noxubee_County,_Mississippi#Politics 78% Clinton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amite_County,_Mississippi#Politics 40% Clinton
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leake_County,_Mississippi#Politics 42%

Surely it should be obvious I meant white voters became 90%+ republicans. I should have clarified though
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies