Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Actions of Bernie Sanders supporters thread  (Read 12550 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 05, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »

Can we please not do this "bernie bro is a racist sexist term" argument? It was incredibly idiotic the first time it was trotted out and it gets dumber each time it gets repeated.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »

Can we please not do this "bernie bro is a racist sexist term" argument? It was incredibly idiotic the first time it was trotted out and it gets dumber each time it gets repeated.

Not any dumber than using the term in the first place. I'm not sure how else anyone expects Sanders' supporters to respond. It deserves to be ridiculed as an atempt to short-circuit discussion by appealing to a crude, sexist stereotype.

You can take umbrage at the stereotype all you want but portraying it as "racist" or "sexist" is so idiotic it strikes me as an equally bad faith attempt to "short-circuit" discussion by invoking oppression.

Most stereotypes are crude. Most candidates have stereotypes applied to their bases and, of course, because a stereotype by definition condenses a group of people into a single, unidimensional image of a single person, a lot of detail about each candidate's base gets washed out.

So perhaps Bernie supporters can try to address the stereotype without retreating to a position of being oppressed? Especially because the person in question who always levies this attack is, himself, not a woman or a minority. I would call it intellectually lazy if it didn't require such mental gymnastics. At the very least it's embarrassing.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »

Assuming Sanders is the nominee:

Tiny negative effects at the margins. Some nasty people online may convince a couple of thousand people (nationwide) to stay home or not volunteer. But a couple thousand is unlikely to flip the election.

I'm morbidly curious to see what a Democratic coordinated midterm campaign looks like in 2022. My guess is Sanders is frustrated by 15-20 moderate Dems on M4A and it will be very interesting to see how the Sanders loyalists play with the mainline party activists in that case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies