Trent Lott to announce intentions on Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:18:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Trent Lott to announce intentions on Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trent Lott to announce intentions on Tuesday  (Read 5774 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:31:45 PM »

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/archives/2006/01/lott_to_decide.html

"Sen. Trent Lott (R-MS) is about to let us know what he wants to do next year.

Next Tuesday, 1/17, Lott plans to announce whether he'll retire or run for a fourth term in the Senate.

Clues? His events are in Pascagoula and Jackson. The first event is it a local inn; the second is on the steps of the state capitol building. And the media has two full hours to set up in advance, which means that Lott's folks expect a lot.

Oh -- and he's spending this week in Hawaii.

The betting in Washington is that Lott, who lost his family home in Hurricane Katrina, will retire, but his closest friends say he vacillates."

My expectation all along has been that he'll run for re-election and I'm sticking to it.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 04:25:19 PM »

Steps of the state capitol building sort of sounds to me as if he's running again, but an American would probably better at judging the significance of summat like that.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:47:04 PM »

Steps of the state capitol building sort of sounds to me as if he's running again, but an American would probably better at judging the significance of summat like that.

You're probably right.

Who would make 2 separate announcements of retirement?  That there are 2 separate events seems like the second one will be his first stop on the campaign, with the one at his home being the announcement of his intentions.  Just smells like he's running again.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

I still have faith that he's retiring.  And if he doesn't I still want Moore to run.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »

Another possibility is that he's found someone to back for the Republican primary.  If so, he first event would be to announce the retirement and the second would be to introduce his favored replacement.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 01:10:46 AM »

A local inn sounds like it might be retirement.  If he were running for re-election, would he make such a big deal about it?
Rococo4

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 02:06:39 AM »

I say he retires thoguh I hope I am wrong.  There seems to be a ton of buzz surrounding Mike Moore on the Dem side if Lott goes, but it would have to be a huge Democrat victrory nationwide for this one to flip.  I would think Chip Pickering would be the favorite to hold onto the seat.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »

You're probably right: in a Pickering-Moore contest I'd expect the deciding edge to be with Pickering.  However, I think Democrats would be just as happy to make the GOP have to spend time and money in a Red State where the result was in doubt.  I don't think Pickering would win by more than 52%-47% as well.
Rococo4

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 06:39:16 PM »

your probably right about that.  it would force the GOP to spend money to defend it
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 12:51:47 AM »

I hope this is on C-Span. A Lott retirement would be a great way to start a dreary Oregon Tuesday.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 03:25:58 AM »

only a few hours now till I know how I'll spend my summer...
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:21:40 AM »

You're probably right: in a Pickering-Moore contest I'd expect the deciding edge to be with Pickering.  However, I think Democrats would be just as happy to make the GOP have to spend time and money in a Red State where the result was in doubt.  I don't think Pickering would win by more than 52%-47% as well.

I think Moore would definitely make the race interesting... perhaps, winnable..

That said, I don't quite understnad the seemingly conventional logic of trying to make the other side spend money...if MOore makes the race, wouldn't the Democrats also be spending money, meaning that both sides have reductions in the amount of money they have to spend on other races...

That said, because of the dual announcements, I'm betting Lott stays.  Perhaps, though, one annoucement if for Lott's retirement and, the other, is to kick off the Pickering campaign with a Lott endorsement... btw, Lott's probably announcing in front of an inn in his hometown because his house no longer exists...
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »

Lott will almost certainly run again. I definitely don't see him walking away.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »

I did a search on google and one for the first hits was “Lott Steps Down” – sadly turned out to be from a year or two back Sad

I think he’ll probably run, word is his told all his big backers that he’s running and that kind of buzz is usually for real, it’s a shame an open race between Pickering and Moore would have been very competitive.   
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »

anyone know what time the announcement is?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

No surprise, Hotline is reporting that he's seeking re-election.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 12:07:07 PM »

I don't see anything on Drudge or any of the news sites.

Expect me to be very upset if he seeks reelection...
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 12:09:24 PM »

The Dem chances on tradesports have increased slightly; maybe he's not running or has hinted that he's not?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »

Hmmm...I wish I could turn on the TV, but my roommate's asleep, or I'd check cspan, cnn, etc.  Right now, though, I find nothing on the internet, not even Drudge, even though the announcement apparently began 10 minutes ago.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 12:12:54 PM »

His retirement would be a much bigger story than him seeking reelection, so right now I'm thinking no news is bad news...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »

He's running. It's official.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »

source?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »

Apparently they're showing it on CSPAN and he announced that he's running, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

He never was going to retire, he just wanted to make the RNC sweat a little and see what they could offer him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »

You can still vote against him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies