Iran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:00:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Iran  (Read 2300 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2006, 10:00:58 AM »
« edited: January 13, 2006, 01:31:39 PM by Michael Z »

So, what to do about Iran? I'm really quite alarmed by all the dithering that's going on in political circles over whether we should impose sanctions, etc, not to mention the bickering over perceived double standards, Iraq, etc. There is a real danger that Iran won't just use nuclear weapons as a bargaining chip but that they will actually use them. When a President of a country says that one country should be wiped off the map (and a few months afterwards goes on to call the Holocaust a "myth") while by the same token attempting to garner a nuclear arsenal I would be very alarmed indeed.

"Oh, but Ahmadinejad is just saying what people want to hear", some will counter. Sure, just how Hitler said what people wanted to hear. Admittedly the Hitler analogy had been drawn before, often falsely (for instance in connection to Iraq), but in this case I believe it applies. Make no mistake about it, Ahmadinejad is an absolute headcase.

Imposing sanctions has its own risks, and could actually unite the Iranian people behind their government (and perhaps this is even what Ahmadinejad is counting on). A military campaign would be absolutely foolhardly. But it's quite clear that something has to be done.

Another problem is that Iran is currently in a pincer between Iraq and Afghanistan, both US-occupied countries, which has resulted in something of a siege mentality in the country (and might have contributed to Ahmadinejad's election victory last year), so any strategy to pacify Iran might have to include pulling out of Iraq or Afghanistan, or perhaps even both (though that also does carry some risks with it). It's not an easy situation we're in.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »

This war has been brewing since 1979.  Time for action.  Give us a nuke free Iran, or they will give us death.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:42:25 AM »

I think the UN is being very active on this one and I'm pleased about that. I support sanctions but I also have the suspicion that Ahmadinejad will be deposed (after all the first President of Iran was deposed after about 18 months) The powers that be in Iran will not tolerate him any longer.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

The Iranians are pretty clever in this whole Middle Eastern drama.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »

This war has been brewing since 1979.  Time for action.  Give us a nuke free Iran, or they will give us death.

Why would they do that?  Oh, maybe self-defense.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:57:59 PM »

I think the UN is being very active on this one and I'm pleased about that. I support sanctions but I also have the suspicion that Ahmadinejad will be deposed (after all the first President of Iran was deposed after about 18 months) The powers that be in Iran will not tolerate him any longer.

I hope so! The man is an absolute scumbag.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 05:17:06 PM »

I hope so! The man is an absolute scumbag.

wishful thinking
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:32:31 PM »

Why would they do that?  Oh, maybe self-defense.

The last country that attacked them is now under military occupation. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 06:55:15 PM »

Another problem is that Iran is currently in a pincer between Iraq and Afghanistan, both US-occupied countries, which has resulted in something of a siege mentality in the country (and might have contributed to Ahmadinejad's election victory last year), so any strategy to pacify Iran might have to include pulling out of Iraq or Afghanistan, or perhaps even both (though that also does carry some risks with it). It's not an easy situation we're in.

From the beginning I believed this reason to be the whole strategy for going into Iraq. The US had no choice but to go into Afghanistan and the US military commanders said to the president and his staff, "Hey, while we have one side of Iran surrounded lets go ahead and completely surround it." It makes perfect sense, almost like a Cannae flank movement on a large scale. Call me crazy but I believe this is really the case.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 08:52:10 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2006, 09:08:42 PM by phknrocket1k »

From the beginning I believed this reason to be the whole strategy for going into Iraq. The US had no choice but to go into Afghanistan and the US military commanders said to the president and his staff, "Hey, while we have one side of Iran surrounded lets go ahead and completely surround it." It makes perfect sense, almost like a Cannae flank movement on a large scale. Call me crazy but I believe this is really the case.

Actually no. 

Iraq's government has signed a defense pact with Iran, so no real invasion can be hosted from that country.

Afghanistan has no real infrastructure to begin with to host an invasion and is landlocked so that means dealing with Pakistan which wouldn't support an invasion from its territory.

Iran has signed a deal to provide oil to India and Pakistan, so rule those two out as a way to host an invasion.

If the Iraq War was supposed to work out properly than the true purpose was to bring a Shiite power on the border of Saudi Arabia not to counter Iran.

If you wanted to counter Iran, you would easily fund Sunni insurgent groups, not by toppling thier biggest enemy.

Frankly, a Shiite rebellion in Saudi Arabia with the blessing of Iraq/Iran could topple the Wahhabi royal family. Thats probably what the end-goal is.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 09:03:44 PM »

And so when we look at today's question: what to do about Iran?  We can see that there are clearly three answers.  First. . .

(If anyone gets this joke I'll be very surprised)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:58:03 AM »

Iraq's defense pact with Iran was signed out of weakness, not conviction.

Iran's nuclear facilities must be bombed.  The US has dithered for too long.  We could have had a revolution on tap by now, but we've made no discernible efforts to organize a Solidarity style opposition movement.

Now its too late to do this the right way, and it has to be done the sloppy way, I'm afraid.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:55:11 AM »

And so when we look at today's question: what to do about Iran?  We can see that there are clearly three answers.  First. . .

I don't get it, please share! 

As for Iran, do nothing other than leave them alone.  Let Isreal take care of itself as well.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »

While there is reason to believe that the nut case may be deposed internally, the UN is NOT, repeat NOT doing anything to help resolve the problem.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »

As for Iran, do nothing other than leave them alone.  Let Isreal take care of itself as well.

Like when Israel says that Iran should be wiped off the map... That would be cherished here.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 07:55:43 PM »

Like when Israel says that Iran should be wiped off the map... That would be cherished here.

No, it has something to do with Forensics. . .
Tory

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 12:06:28 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2006, 12:23:46 PM by Tory »

Look at this poll

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74413

Shows you what average Muslims are thinking. Go down to the Iraqi Occupation section, where you'll encounter numerous stories of how American soldiers have been proven to have raped up to like 300 Iraqi girls under the age of 8, but the mainstream media refuses to carry the story.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »

If Iran talks about wiping countries off the map I say we should oblidge them since they're asking for it. And besides the fallout would fall to the groudn after its passed through india/china so we'd e safe in the US.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »

Look at this poll

Shows you what average Muslims are thinking. Go down to the Iraqi Occupation section, where you'll encounter numerous stories of how American soldiers have been proven to have raped up to like 300 Iraqi girls under the age of 8, but the mainstream media refuses to carry the story.

Wow, undocumented "stories", yeah well that proves it for me!
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 01:11:43 PM »

Look at this poll

While there have been a few incidents where American soldiers have violated the CMJ, the allegation that there have been "300 Iraqi figles under the age of 8" raped by American soldiers is not only false, but absurd.

One can only hope that you are noting that the terrorists have made up such absurd stories, and that you do not given them credance. 
Tory

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 02:40:25 PM »

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that those stories were true, I was pointing out how insane these people are
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that those stories were true, I was pointing out how insane these people are

Whew, for a minute there I was going to recommend :

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 08:13:38 PM »

I'd be terrible for the US to lose Shiite support in Iraq.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 06:12:27 AM »
« Edited: January 23, 2006, 06:14:08 AM by Michael Z »

If there's one good thing about this it's that it might heal the rift between Europe and America, since both sides are scared witless by the prospect of Iran with nukes. Especially if it's governed by a nutcase like Ahmadinejad.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »

Wow. Just... wow.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length