An alternative to the 17th Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:06:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  An alternative to the 17th Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An alternative to the 17th Amendment  (Read 2038 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »

I'll admit that I'm not a very enthusiastic fan of the existing 17th Amendment, as it removes the direct link between state and federal governments.  It also turns the Senate into nothing more than a slightly altered copy of the House.

However, a good argument in favor of direct election of senators is the expansion of accountability to the people.  Therefore, how about this (albeit slightly convoluted) compromise alternative?

The state legislatures vote for various Senate candidates, and the winner of a plurality then faces the electorate for an up-or-down approval vote.  If a candidate wins both elections, they obviously become the senator.  If they fail the popular election, the state legislature must vote for alternative candidates, with the failed candidate having been eliminated.

If there is a deadlock, the state governor may appoint an interim senator until a replacement is elected.

Thoughts?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 05:07:33 PM »

This seems to be an interesting idea. However, I think that this method could be very complicated and very expensive. If the people reject the state legislature's nominee, then the state would have to hold multiple elections, which would cost a lot of money and take up a lot of time. Furthermore, I feel that this method gives the Governor too much power, especially if there is a deadlock between the legislature and the people, or a deadlock between the two houses of the legislature.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:17:42 PM »

I'll agree with it being potentially complicated and expensive.  But as for the governor having too much power in the case of a deadlock, at least the state will still be sending a representative from the state government.  And also, the governor him/herself is personally accountable to the entire state electorate anyway.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »

... at least the state will still be sending a representative from the state government.
I see your point, but I would argue that someone elected by the people  represents a state just as much as someone elected by the government.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:04:21 PM »

Right, but who is going to stand up for local self-government? The state government, or the people of the state?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »

I'd certainly support having Senatorial candidates be chosen by a State Legislature caucus---but that's a party matter.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »

I'd certainly support having Senatorial candidates be chosen by a State Legislature caucus---but that's a party matter.

I know that I've already said I oppose the 17th, but given the choice between letting the people decide or leaving it to a party boss in a smoke-filled room, I'd go with the former.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies