Georgia 2020 Redistricting Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Georgia 2020 Redistricting Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41
Author Topic: Georgia 2020 Redistricting Discussion  (Read 65400 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2020, 06:07:27 PM »

So the map overall is a D gerrymander ?

What do you do in a state like Wisconsin when you draw the maps based with numbers similar to 2012 for 2010 redistricting and then Clinton comes in and loses all the swingish fair districts in the rural area by an absurd number? Do you redistrict the map because now its unfair?
Wisconsin is a lot less inelastic than Georgia.

Sure in certain areas  but the point still stands,  a map can all of a sudden become unfair, should that require redistricting if that happens?
Not generally, no.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2020, 06:13:59 PM »

For clarity - I took your question to mean "should we do mid-decade redrawing of state leg maps" and that seems undesirable to me broadly speaking. Taking into account bias metrics though in determining little things like how you draw Savannah is much more defensible. I personally reject the "D gerrymander" label, particularly since you are applying it to the entire map. You can't judge an entire map on one or two decisions made in county x or county y unless it's a common pattern that is repeated preferably many times.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2020, 01:54:31 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2020, 03:15:19 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/2d5fdc7d-5ed8-4c5c-9d27-c438f9ca43b0

I've been tinkering with this for a while to see what the GOP could do if they really don't want to concede a 4th pack in Atlanta. It's just as VRA compliant as the current map (and the very Trumpy 5th circuit shouldn't find any problems no matter what). All 10 republican seats should be totally rock-solid for the entire decade, and they would have decent odds of picking up the 2nd. Kemp won all the Atlanta suburban seats by at least 25% so I really doubt they'll be marginal in 10 years time.

GA-01: Buddy Carter's seat is basically unchanged, still stretching along the Georgia Coast. Trends still mildly favour the Republicans in this seat going forward.

GA-02: Sandford Bishop's seat becomes 0.1% more Black than its current iteration while the PVI halves. Abrams' margin of victory goes from 12% to 5%. Bishop still has some crossover appeal and outran Biden by 6%, but when he retires this seat is a ripe pickup opportunity. And it's just as VRA compliant as the current district.

GA-03: Drew Ferguson's seat loses it's eastern arm out to Henry and instead stretches further north up to Cobb. However the character of the district barely changes with the small slice of blueing Atlanta suburbs easily outweighed by rural West Central Georgia.

GA-04: Hank Johnson's seat remains based in DeKalb though it gains a significant amount of deep blue territory in Gwinnett.

GA-05: Still based in Atlanta, John Lewis's old seat loses most of Clayton for more of DeKalb. This seat is Nikema Williams's for as long as she wants it.

GA-06: Marjorie Taylor Greene is the big winner under this map, with her seat now stretching from Dalton, her base in the primary and the runoff, to take in her old home town of Alpharetta in suburban Fulton County. And with Kemp winning this seat by 27% she should have no problems in the general. Northern Fulton and Forsyth are both zooming leftwards however Gainesville and Appalachia completely overpower them.

GA-07: Carolyn Bordeaux is the one big loser in this map with absolutely nowhere to go. The radically redrawn 7th is now R+21 PVI and voted for Kemp by 27%. A wide-open seat it should see a divisive primary between a Gainesville-based Republican and a Gwinnett-based Republican but whoever wins shouldn't have to sweat about winning election at any point in the next decade.

GA-08: Austin Scott's district snakes through Central Georgia up to Athens and drops 6 PVI points in the process. It wouldn't be the snoozefest he's accustomed to but Scott shouldn't have any problem holding this seat.

GA-09: Freshman Andrew Clyde's Northeastern seat is rather radically altered and he now has to deal with a significant democratic constituency with Kemp's margin of victory falls from 59% to 26%. Gwinnett may be zooming leftwards but this is still the seat where Deliverance was filmed.

GA-10: Jody Hice's district loses the rural eastern counties and instead wraps around west to Henry and Fayette and south to Macon. Not quite as safe as the Northern seats however Kemp still won it by 24%.

GA-11: Barry Loudermilk's seat keeps its basic shape but loses about half of Cobb in exchange for taking two more deep red Northern counties. It moves 4 PVI points right and Kemp won it by 27%, so Loudermilk should have no problem holding this seat.

GA-12: Still anchored by Augusta Rick Allen's seat has mild changes that don't affect the partisan balance. Trends should only strengthen the Republican hold on this seat.

GA-13: Sets up a very nasty primary between Lucy McBath and David Scott in this Rorschach blot (which is still less ugly than MD-03). David Scott is a noted DINO who was almost forced into a runoff against an unfunded nobody this cycle, meanwhile McBath is hindered by currently representing exactly 0.7% of this district, including herself. A dark horse in the vein of Keisha Waites could even come through the middle and defeat both of them.

GA-14: Though it's the successor to the current 14th MTG should move to the 6th making this one of two Open seats. It keeps its basic shape taking in Northwestern Georgia however it loses MTG's base of Dalton for a large slice of rapidly diversifying Cobb. Whoever wins the Republican primary should have no problem holding this seat, given Kemp won it by 26%.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2020, 04:36:49 PM »

I've been tinkering with this for a while to see what the GOP could do if they really don't want to concede a 4th pack in Atlanta. It's just as VRA compliant as the current map (and the very Trumpy 5th circuit shouldn't find any problems no matter what). All 10 republican seats should be totally rock-solid for the entire decade, and they would have decent odds of picking up the 2nd. Kemp won all the Atlanta suburban seats by at least 25% so I really doubt they'll be marginal in 10 years time.

GA-01: Buddy Carter's seat is basically unchanged, still stretching along the Georgia Coast. Trends still mildly favour the Republicans in this seat going forward.

GA-02: Sandford Bishop's seat becomes 0.1% more Black than its current iteration while the PVI halves. Abrams' margin of victory goes from 12% to 5%. Bishop still has some crossover appeal and outran Biden by 6%, but when he retires this seat is a ripe pickup opportunity. And it's just as VRA compliant as the current district.

GA-03: Drew Ferguson's seat loses it's eastern arm out to Henry and instead stretches further north up to Cobb. However the character of the district barely changes with the small slice of blueing Atlanta suburbs easily outweighed by rural West Central Georgia.

GA-04: Hank Johnson's seat remains based in DeKalb though it gains a significant amount of deep blue territory in Gwinnett.

GA-05: Still based in Atlanta, John Lewis's old seat loses most of Clayton for more of DeKalb. This seat is Nikema Williams's for as long as she wants it.

GA-06: Marjorie Taylor Greene is the big winner under this map, with her seat now stretching from Dalton, her base in the primary and the runoff, to take in her old home town of Alpharetta in suburban Fulton County. And with Kemp winning this seat by 27% she should have no problems in the general. Northern Fulton and Forsyth are both zooming leftwards however Gainesville and Appalachia completely overpower them.

GA-07: Carolyn Bordeaux is the one big loser in this map with absolutely nowhere to go. The radically redrawn 7th is now R+21 PVI and voted for Kemp by 27%. A wide-open seat it should see a divisive primary between a Gainesville-based Republican and a Gwinnett-based Republican but whoever wins shouldn't have to sweat about winning election at any point in the next decade.

GA-08: Austin Scott's district snakes through Central Georgia up to Athens and drops 6 PVI points in the process. It wouldn't be the snoozefest he's accustomed to but Scott shouldn't have any problem holding this seat.

GA-09: Freshman Andrew Clyde's Northeastern seat is rather radically altered and he now has to deal with a significant democratic constituency with Kemp's margin of victory falls from 59% to 26%. Gwinnett may be zooming leftwards but this is still the seat where Deliverance was filmed.

GA-10: Jody Hice's district loses the rural eastern counties and instead wraps around west to Henry and Fayette and south to Macon. Not quite as safe as the Northern seats however Kemp still won it by 24%.

GA-11: Barry Loudermilk's seat keeps its basic shape but loses about half of Cobb in exchange for taking two more deep red Northern counties. It moves 4 PVI points right and Kemp won it by 27%, so Loudermilk should have no problem holding this seat.

GA-12: Still anchored by Augusta Rick Allen's seat has mild changes that don't affect the partisan balance. Trends should only strengthen the Republican hold on this seat.

GA-13: Sets up a very nasty primary between Lucy McBath and David Scott in this Rorschach blot (which is still less ugly than MD-03). David Scott is a noted DINO who was almost forced into a runoff against an unfunded nobody this cycle, meanwhile McBath is hindered by currently representing exactly 0.7% of this district, including herself. A dark horse in the vein of Keisha Waites could even come through the middle and defeat both of them.

GA-14: Though it's the successor to the current 14th MTG should move to the 6th making this one of two Open seats. It keeps its basic shape taking in Northwestern Georgia however it loses MTG's base of Dalton for a large slice of rapidly diversifying Cobb. Whoever wins the Republican primary should have no problem holding this seat, given Kemp won it by 26%.

The current GA-11 literally swung from Trump+35 to Trump+14, the Atlanta area is moving quicker than many realize, and these Appalachia-Atlanta seats are just asking for trouble, that green especially is very risky, given how the exurbs are slowly bluing, the suburbs are rapidly bluing, and north Georgia is more or less maxed out, and Greene is unusually weak, so drawing her into Cobb County is just asking for trouble by the end of the decade. Given how the current GA-11 swung 21 pts in 4 years, adding 7 pts to the seat won't save it, at that rate it would still flip by the end of the decade. The current 6th swung from Trump+1 to Biden+10 and the current 7th from Trump+6 to Biden+5, these are insane swings and this map is going to become a dummymander, if they continue.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #254 on: December 11, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »

Here's my newest take on a Fair GA; aside from Coweta and splitting Middle Georgia I think everything is pretty decent and has good CoI/VRA. It's also pretty proportional, not that that should matter (GA-11 might have been won by Biden this time).

Sorry for not including a screenshot.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: December 11, 2020, 05:12:16 PM »

Here's my newest take on a Fair GA; aside from Coweta and splitting Middle Georgia I think everything is pretty decent and has good CoI/VRA. It's also pretty proportional, not that that should matter (GA-11 might have been won by Biden this time).

I don't mind the Athens to Augusta district in a vacuum as Athens isn't really a COI with anything but Oconee which is also in the district. The problem with doing that is I feel South Georgia is neatly put in with 4 districts and by taking Athens you effectively make the 3rd district take parts of South Georgia.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #256 on: December 11, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »

The current GA-11 literally swung from Trump+35 to Trump+14, the Atlanta area is moving quicker than many realize, and these Appalachia-Atlanta seats are just asking for trouble, that green especially is very risky, given how the exurbs are slowly bluing, the suburbs are rapidly bluing, and north Georgia is more or less maxed out, and Greene is unusually weak, so drawing her into Cobb County is just asking for trouble by the end of the decade. Given how the current GA-11 swung 21 pts in 4 years, adding 7 pts to the seat won't save it, at that rate it would still flip by the end of the decade. The current 6th swung from Trump+1 to Biden+10 and the current 7th from Trump+6 to Biden+5, these are insane swings and this map is going to become a dummymander, if they continue.
GA-11 was Trump+25 in 2016 not +35. Also you can easily make an 11-3 map where the closest North Georgia district is Kemp+22 and there's basically no chance of it becoming a dummymander. Maybe they'll be competitive by the end of the decade but I doubt it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 05:55:30 PM by Sol »

I don't mind the Athens to Augusta district in a vacuum as Athens isn't really a COI with anything but Oconee which is also in the district. The problem with doing that is I feel South Georgia is neatly put in with 4 districts and by taking Athens you effectively make the 3rd district take parts of South Georgia.
I'm not sure if I totally understand. How are you defining South Georgia? I think my map pretty much has just all of the area below the Fall Line in four districts (1, 2, 3, and Cool, barring Burke, Jefferson, and Johnson, and the former two are in the Augusta area.

I don't like my 3rd district much--it's definitely the leftovers district--but sending Augusta to non-Macon Middle Georgia is kind of awkward too. There are an awful lot of people in Houston County and adjacent areas, so the adjusted 12th district would just be Middle Georgia, Augusta, and the minimum of counties in between. That also forces either a belt-like wraparound district from Athens to Carrolton. Or, if you prefer, a rotation which creates a Rome to Columbus district which doesn't seem optimal either.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 08:35:38 PM by lfromnj »

4 South Georgia districts.

I think Warner Robbins should and can go with Macon.

Could probably even increase compactness if one wanted to split Columbus along the clear racial lines there but I disagree.(only a few rural precincts are not there in Houston county)

Coastal Savanah
Augusta
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »

Could probably even increase compactness if one wanted to split Columbus along the clear racial lines there but I disagree.(only a few rural precincts are not there in Houston county)

Coastal Savanah
Augusta

What are the racial #s on the 1st?

Personally not crazy about splitting Lee from Dougherty; plus the Macon metro is still disunited.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: December 11, 2020, 08:46:13 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 08:54:19 PM by lfromnj »

Coastal Savanah
Augusta

What are the racial #s on the 1st?

Personally not crazy about splitting Lee from Dougherty; plus the Macon metro is still disunited.

49.7% black total pop 2018 47.8 by CVAP

However its still +12 Abrams.

Anyway if the Macon metro still isn't fully united I would say atleast the core of it is.

Lee can be fixed by trading Sumter with Lee or taking northern Columbus away and putting Lee in.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2021, 05:38:50 AM »

Fair 7D-6R-1C GA map:

ATL Inset:

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »

I wonder if the senate results change the GOP game plan here?  They could decide to play it extra safe or could just as easily decide to go for broke because it's clearly their last chance to draw the maps for a very long time. 

Also, the senate results mean there is now an opening for congress to strengthen VRA provisions in advance of redistricting. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:01 AM »

Splitting Atlanta five ways is egregious, a good map would split Atlanta no more than once
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »

I wonder if the senate results change the GOP game plan here?  They could decide to play it extra safe or could just as easily decide to go for broke because it's clearly their last chance to draw the maps for a very long time. 

Also, the senate results mean there is now an opening for congress to strengthen VRA provisions in advance of redistricting. 

This is a very important point. None of the Democratic caucus is going to have any reason to object to putting in a new coverage formula for section 5, which is likely to have a big effect on redistricting.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2021, 04:51:47 PM »

Good map.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2021, 02:00:30 PM »

Here's my first take on a light GOP gerrymander of Georgia in light of the Senate elections.

1st District: Still held by Buddy Carter. Moves slightly right from Trump+15 to Trump+20 in 2016, and should be an easy hold for the GOP even in wave elections. In terms of geography, the district loses part of Savannah and slides further into ruby-red rural areas.

2nd District: This district is no longer VRA and loses Columbus and Albany, becoming an open seat. Sliding up into the fringes of Atlanta, this seat is now Trump+20 and should be safely Republican for the decade.

3rd District: Drew Ferguson's district sinks Columbus and takes in some of Atlanta's southwestern suburbs (though the bluest part of unfavorably-trending Fayette County isn't in the district). As a result, it moves leftward to Trump+28 and Kemp+27, but regardless it should hold for Republicans unless Atlanta and Columbus careen leftward.

4th District: Dem Sink stays Dem Sink. Extends further out to put all of Rockdale, Newton, and Henry counties in D sinks.

5th District: Loses some of Atlanta to sink D-trending Henry County. Still Titanium D.

6th District: McBath gets drawn out of this now Safe D district, which sinks northern Fulton and DeKalb counties. It's Clinton +20 and is essentially flip-proof.

7th District: Carolyn Bordeaux's district is now essentially within Gwinnet County, and moves to Clinton+15. Safe D.

8th District: This Trump+22, Kemp+23 district shifts leftward (geographically and politically) to help sink Sanford Bishop, who is now double-bunked with Austin Scott. While Bishop is a stronger-than-average D candidate, he should fall in a district that's both less African-American (38%), significantly more Republican, and with another entrenched incumbent.

9th District: Andrew Clyde and Jody Hice switch districts to avoid further baconing East Georgia. Hice's new district contracts inward relative to the old 9th - in addition to retaining Gainesville, it sheds rural Northeastern Georgia for Forsyth County, Barrow County (Hice's home county), and scraps of Fulton and Gwinnet Counties. While this district seems dangerously suburban at first, most of the bluer parts are in either the 6th or 7th districts, and the district is still Trump+42 and Kemp+38. It should hold for the decade.

10th District: Clyde's new district picks up most of aforementioned Northeastern Georgia, and takes an arm into Augusta to help keep Rick Allen safe (doubt Allen complains as the parts of Augusta that are removed are heavily African-American and thus are probably not part of his base). This is probably the most aesthetically awkward part of the map, though. Regardless, this is a Trump+24 seat (a slight downgrade from the previous district), but should be safely Republican for the decade.

11th District: Barry Loudermilk's district reconfigures to take in more favorable parts of suburban Atlanta, and moves rightward to Trump +33 accordingly. While this district was only Kemp +28, it's still a very hard lift for Dems going forward and should be relatively secure. If needed, Cobb County can be swapped out with some of the 14th district to shore it up further though that makes the map uglier.

12th District: Rick Allen's new district exchanges some unfavorable Albany precincts for some unfavorable Savannah precincts, but otherwise remains similar. It also moves rightward to Trump+22 in 2016, protecting the seat from all but the most ridiculous Democratic waves. Allen should hold this seat for as long as he wants.

13th District: McBath and Scott are both drawn in here, and if McBath doesn't feel like carpetbagging this could create a primary battle that could go national thanks to Scott's relative conservatism. Regardless, as the third of the trio of Atlanta AA VRA seats, it's Safe D.

14th District: MTG's seat stays mostly unaltered, and is accordingly Safe R.

The aftermath of all this is a pretty solid 9-5, as Republicans gain one outstate seat while sacrificing five Atlanta sinks.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »

Eliminating the 2nd seems like a good way to get sued.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2021, 03:22:59 PM »

Isn't the consensus that the 2nd wasn't VRA-required, though?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »

Eliminating the 2nd seems like a good way to get sued.

Sued in what manner ?
Basically the courts would just do a partial rotation like Virginia .
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »

How on earth is the 2nd not VRA required?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »

Here is a fairly reliable 8-7 GA map I made based on the 2018 Governor numbers.

There are 4 minority majority districts. 5 (69.2%), 7 (63.2%), 10 (59.2%), and 2 (51.6%).

• District 1 - Abrams 11.2
  • District 2 - Abrams 8.1
  • District 3 - Kemp 38.6
  • District 4 - Kemp 30.6
  • District 5 - Abrams 51.6
  • District 6 - Abrams 10
  • District 7 - Abrams 70.8 (Most of the city of Atlanta)
  • District 8 - Abrams 11.3
  • District 9 - Abrams 12
  • District 10 - Abrams 37.9
  • District 11 - Kemp 33.4
  • District 12 - Kemp 53
  • District 13 - Kemp 41
  • District 14 - Kemp 53.3
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #272 on: January 07, 2021, 07:46:35 PM »

There are 4 minority majority districts. 5 (69.2%), 7 (63.2%), 10 (59.2%), and 2 (51.6%).

• District 3 - Kemp 38.6
  • District 4 - Kemp 30.6
  • District 6 - Abrams 10
  • District 9 - Abrams 12
  • District 12 - Kemp 53
  • District 13 - Kemp 41
This is a pretty good fair map. Not completely agreeable in everything but quite good in reflecting the statewide composition while also keeping things clean and compact and respecting county lines.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #273 on: January 07, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »

• District 3 - Kemp 38.6
  • District 4 - Kemp 30.6
  • District 6 - Abrams 10
  • District 9 - Abrams 12
  • District 12 - Kemp 53
  • District 13 - Kemp 41
This is a pretty good fair map. Not completely agreeable in everything but quite good in reflecting the statewide composition while also keeping things clean and compact and respecting county lines.

Tbh I wasn’t trying to make a fair map, but rather a sensible dem gerrymander. How could it be improved?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #274 on: January 07, 2021, 09:07:37 PM »

• District 3 - Kemp 38.6
  • District 4 - Kemp 30.6
  • District 6 - Abrams 10
  • District 9 - Abrams 12
  • District 12 - Kemp 53
  • District 13 - Kemp 41

Tbh I wasn’t trying to make a fair map, but rather a sensible dem gerrymander. How could it be improved?
I think the border between 1 and 4 could be straightened. 13 and 14 could also be changed, but I have doubts that it could be improved very much, and I kind of feel this is the most compact realistic arrangement. I haven't much to complain about the shapes of 10, 11, and 13.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies