An End to Reconstruction - An 1876 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:11:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  An End to Reconstruction - An 1876 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An End to Reconstruction - An 1876 Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 1401 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »

Turn I - March 1st-15th, 1876

Source : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzCu8qYVrG8

Election Season begins!

The election has begun for 1876 with the first few candidates of both the Democrats and the Republicans announcing their candidacy for the Presidency. At the same time, the Greenback Party’s candidate, Mr. Peter Cooper of New York, is looking to make a splash and have some impact in the general election. The current frontrunners for both major parties are Commanding General William Tecumseh Sherman of New York, who leads the Republican Party by a giant margin and could likely win the Nomination on the first ballot at the convention while New York Governor Samuel J. Tilden leads the Democratic Party by 19.9 %.

General Election Polling

Generic Democrat : 48.6 %
Generic Republican : 45.7 %
Mr. Peter Cooper (Gr-NY) : 1.3 %
Undecided/Others : 4.4 %

Republican Estimates for the Convention

William Tecumseh Sherman (NY) : 62.2 %
Elihu B. Washburne (IL) : 16.9 %
Benjamin Butler (MA) : 10.8 %
Brokered Convention chances : 10.1 %

Democratic Estimates for the Convention

Samuel J. Tilden : 37.8 %
John M. Palmer : 17.9 %
Brokered Convention chances : 44.3 %

This turns last from November 19th to November 28th at 6:30 PM and last in game from March 1st-March 15th of 1876. The first few turns will be all about building up your support base in your party through meeting with the bosses of every state to gain enough delegates and acquire significant momentum for the first ballot to really make yourself heard at the convention.

Also, there is no approval polling for President Grant as Approval Polling didn't really start until the 1930s with Gallup IIRC. So, don't expect any approval polling for this game.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 01:26:55 AM »

Draft Sherman Movement

After considerable lobbying from well wishers and Republican Party activists, former Union General William Sherman had this to say:

To my friends and to various well wishers,

I want to thank you for your kind words over the past few months. I wish to assure you that I am in exceedingly good health and in positive spirits. The weather in New York is most pleasant this time of year, before the onset of summer. The city bustles with excitement around me, more so than when I first established residence here a decade ago.

Now then, allow me to end the pleasantries. I know a great many of you have asked for an official statement of some kind from me on this upcoming Election. I have given it much thought, and I understand that my previous feelings are quite well known.

That being said, I wish to formally make my intentions known: I am running for President. I hereby state, and mean all I say, that I will be a candidate for President as a Republican.

This may come as quite the shock to those who have known my previous public statements on such matters. I have stood on the sidelines of the political arena for over a decade. In that time, I have reflected on public life, service, and the importance of duty. The Republic, as it stands today, is at a most treacherous crossroads in its development.

I commend the steadfast service of President Grant, a most esteemed President whose personal character stands above reproach. Unfortunately, he has been beset by malefactors bent on monetary gain and political intrigue the likes of which few Administrations have endured. Through all of this chicanery and insincerity, the President has remained resolute in his values and his beliefs.

Alas, such actions committed by the opposition and by several officials, not authorized by Grant but acting on their own authority, have stained our Republic with a foul stench of corruption. Under these circumstances, the desire to not seek another term is entirely appropriate. The honor roll shall show that Ulysses S. Grant was a most honorable man and a soldier without equal in the history of this Republic.

I seek the Presidency to continue much of the President’s current work and build on his achievements. I intend to devote much time to rooting out corruption in Washington and in the back rooms of parlors across this country. I intend to support the farmer, the miner, and the laborer with sound economic and trade policy. And, most importantly, I intend to continue reconciliation between North and South as equal brothers in this united Republic. War is hell, and I have seen the horrors of National warfare personally.

Of course, I understand reconciliation is no easy task. The South rebelled against the Union, there can be no doubt in this matter. It is my belief that we must secure the rights of the freed men and women in the South, while moving ahead with National reconciliation. I will continue Reconstruction. I will do everything in my power to ensure equal accommodations for all of our citizens. It is my intention to empower the Southern farmer and Southern laborer to live a prosperous, peaceful existence with their fellow man. My policies will always be enacted to this end.

On the issue of our modern economy, I intend to continue a policy of high tariffs on most traded goods. I will seek authority from Congress to construct an independent, Federal bank designed to prevent financial ruination. My Administration will enact laws favorable to the working man and fair to the financier. We will work within the Gold Standard to alleviate the condition of workers across this country. I intend to provide a series of reforms centered around our Nation’s labor laws and working conditions as well.

On immigration, I reject calls for a literacy test. I shall investigate matters where there is a compelling interest for the Federal Government to intervene, but I support those who have made the journey to this Nation in search of peace and prosperity.

I support advances in the elevation of women, and I hope to see the states enact legislation granting women voting rights.

In all matters, I hope to be a fair and neutral President. It is my belief that we Americans are special people, with the ability to produce a better Nation for our children than the one we currently inhabit. I promise to be a President for all people in this country, regardless of religion, or color, or national origin. Our Republic has endured most tumultuous times in the past. Through our efforts, I hope to lead it to a most tranquil future.

Thank you, and may God’s Providence shine upon you all.

William Tecumseh Sherman.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »

PLATFORM OF JAMES L PALMER PART 1

Good day Democratic Party members and friends I am here to tell you what my platform for my Presidential candidacy for this party’s nomination

I am a big follower and admired of the free enterprise and trade system. As President I pledge that I will erase all existing tariffs and left our union freely trade with the rest of the world without any fees.

I believe in cutting and getting rid of regulations and I also plan on repealing Revenue Act of 1862 which I find to be unconstitutional.

I also will stand against the idea of creating a nationalize central bank and protect the system of the gold standard.

As for Military affairs I believe unless we are attacked we should not response with military action unless it is last resort.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2019, 10:04:21 AM by CTConservative »

An Announcement from Governor Samuel J. Tilden

Source: Wikimedia Commons

Good afternoon fellow Democrats. I am Governor Samuel J. Tilden from New York, and I am running for President of the United States in 1876. First off, we must replace the corrupt administration of President Ulysses S. Grant. Many times has his administration shown that they are not fit to govern our people. Grant was not fit from the beginning. President Grant is a military man, and had no political experience before becoming President. On the other hand, I have the experience to become President. Before becoming Governor of New York, I served in the law department of New York City. Then, I became a New York Assemblyman. I was then the Chair of the New York Democratic party, and returned back to the Assembly. I was then elected Governor. My experience working with the people far outweighs that of President Grant, General Sherman (also a military man, who is not ready to be President) and my opponent within the Democratic party, Governor John M. Palmer. Governor Palmer has only been in politics for less than 10 years, and is not ready to be President, despite his heroic past serving us in our Civil War. I am calling for protections for naturalized U.S. citizens whilst they are visiting their homelands. This is a central part to the platform of my campaign and that of the Democratic Party. We will restrict Asian immigration into the United States, as they are taking jobs away from Americans that deserve it! We need tariff reform in our country, as our taxes can no longer be way too high for the people. We will eliminate all tariffs. I oppose land grants for railroads in our country. The land belongs to Americans who can settle and work the land. But, the two most central issues of my campaign will be keeping the gold standard and ending Reconstruction in the South. The gold standard is the best monetary fit for our country now and in the future. The best way to maintain this is to amend the Revenue Act of 1862.  Ending Reconstruction will once and for all heal the divide between our nation. I will go more into detail on my positions soon, releasing a full platform for you the people to read.

I would like to challenge Governor Palmer to a debate at our convention, or before.

Thank you.

Samuel J. Tilden
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2019, 02:37:14 PM by Kingpoleon »

[Source: Wikimedia Commons, Public Domain]

Public Declaration of Intent

Whereas I have been lobbied by many of my peers in Washington to run for the Presidency; and whereas I have every intention of halting the campaign of General Sherman, who is unfit for the office; I am running for President of the United States. General Sherman speaks of equality and unity between Northerner and Southerner, and not a man is against that.

But I am a passionate advocate of equality that is contrary to the policies of General Sherman. He said before the War that Negros benefited from the system of slavery! He refused to allow black soldiers to serve under him. Let me assure the Southern Republicans: General Sherman does not support the Black and Tans and he never will.

General Sherman is a brand of failed, Democratic policy and an apologist for their party. His brutality towards the South, and his command of strategy and logistics make him an unparalleled General, excepting perhaps President Grant. His new rhetoric? There is a reason he talks more about tariffs than Reconstruction - he will not expand it.

The South needs to be re-evaluated by General Oliver Howard of the Freedmen’s Bureau. It is my belief, having recently been there, that the South is still not a free land for most Negros. They are still laborers, for very low pay, on the fields of the white man. Some young blacks are allowed to be called “apprentices” and still kept by Southern whites as slaves.

The problem is the white Southerner who refuses to acknowledge his former slave as his equal, and deserving of the same pay and rights as any white man. I therefore intend to establish, throughout the South but primarily in the West, a new system whereby fifty million acres are set aside for freed ex-slaves. Thirty to forty acres and a farm animal - a mule, a dozen chickens, a goat, whatever - to every family of them.

I remain the full throated advocate of women’s rights. As the Negro, given equal opportunity and standing, is not inferior of those of European descent. In the same way, in intellect and not brute strength, women are the equal of men; and as for strength, an average man is stronger than an average woman, but golly! The average bear is stronger than the average man, but the man is still more qualified to vote. I support universal voting rights, for Negro men and women and for white women as well.

As for issues aside from women’s rights and Negro rights, President Grant is the greatest gentleman in Washington, and I am proud to call myself his loudest advocate. However, the rats of Washington have infested his White House, and I intend to clean them out. I am the man for the job, I am sure of it - and many more besides me are better than that ill reputed, William The Clumsy Sherman.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2019, 10:04:38 AM by CTConservative »

Follow-up announcement from the Office of Governor Samuel J. Tilden

All three images from Wikimedia Commons

I have gained three important endorsements from members of the Democratic Party who feel that I am the best fit to be our nominee and to become President. First, my good friend and fellow New Yorker Grover Cleveland (L), who was the Sheriff of Erie County. Governor Thomas A. Hendricks (C), my good friend, and a former Senator and Representative feels that I am the best fit for the presidency. And finally, General Winfield Scott Hancock (R), a war hero who fought bravely in the Mexican-American War and was involved in our Civil War. I thank these three gentlemen for their endorsements of me and will not dissapoint them!

Samuel J. Tilden
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2019, 04:01:41 AM by GoTfan »

The Portland Press Herald
March 3rd, 1876

An Announcement from Former Governor Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

[image credit: Wikimedia Commons]

At Little Round Top 13 years ago, we boys from Maine made our stand to defend our Union at all costs. It is with great dismay therefore, I look to see what our Union has become. Corruption, bribery and political favortism rule the day, despite the greatest attempts of President Grant to avoid such nefarious intent. We must do better, and must be ready to criticise our own when they fall short.

Yet, the other side is no better. They seek to further end the progress we have made towards true rights for all in this nation; our Constitution guarantees that all men are created equal, and submitting to the whims of those who sought our Union's destruction will only see our Constitutionally granted liberties restricted.

I hereby declare my intent to seek the Presidency of these United States, not to further these problems, but to resolve them. A gentle hand to Reconstruction, defence of the God-given and Constitutionally-granted rights to all, and creating a professional, incorruptible public service.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2019, 04:02:44 AM by GoTfan »

The Clarion Ledger
March 5th, 1876

Governor Adelbert Ames (R-MS)
Governor Chamberlain is a man of unparallelled honor. I served as his first commander during our Civil War, and he proved his valor on the battlefield many a time. I would offer him my support in his endeavors to seek the Presidency of this nation of ours

The Portland Press Herald
March 6th, 1876

Former Vice President Hannibal Hamlin (R-ME)
Our country must have a President beyond reproach; one who will defend our expansion of rights to Negroes, who will take a gentle but firm hand in Reconstruction, and most of all, be above corruption and petty polical games. Governor Chamberlain is a man with the honor and reuptation to hold up the lofty ideals of this nation of ours, and I am glad to support him.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:02:23 PM »

A response to Samuel Tiden

Governor Palmer glady accepts a debate with Mr Tiden on the issues that matter the most for this country.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 08:17:44 AM »

Washburne Campaign Schedule summary

Washburne campaigns mostly in Midwestern states, especially on economy, Western expansion, infrastructure and foreign policy. He underlined his foreign policy experience (as he was Minister to France) to emphasize on the importance of promoting trade with other countries for the sake of America's prosperity.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »

Peter Cooper Announcement Speech, New York City, New York

Today, I am honored to announce the commencement of my campaign for the Presidency of the United States on the Greenback line. It is not out of pride, but rather concern for my country, that I choose to seek the Presidency. I have reached the ripe old age of 85, and would prefer to spend my last years in the comforts of solitude. However, after considering what would become of my country if any of the Democratic or Republican candidates should win the presidency, I have determined that, for the sake of this republic, I must offer my services to the American people.

For the past 20 years, Americans have faced a choice at the ballot box between the Democratic and Republican parties. In past times, President Lincoln made me proud to once call myself a Republican. We were supporters of liberty and union, one and inseparable. But that Republican Party is no more. President Grant, while his service to the country during time of disunion should never be forgotten, has been woefully inept, and his administration a corrupt one interested only in lining its own pockets. It should be no surprise, then, that many Republicans bolted the Party four years ago to support the late Horace Greeley, including such esteemed men as the late Senator Sumner.

Furthermore, the Republicans today are no longer the party of free soil and small farmers, but instead are controlled by wealthy monopolists. Three years ago Senator Sherman and President Grant, in line with the wishes of their backers among the business class, passed the Coinage Act of 1873, which, in abolishing bimetallism in our country, hurt every section of the population other than those businessmen who had pushed for it. While I am of the belief that a paper currency--neither backed by gold nor silver--is the way to go, bimetallism was certainly preferable to the gold standard, which is a major step backward.

An unbacked paper currency would lead to prosperity and unchecked new possibilities for the American commoner. Today, far too many Americans are crippled by debt and unable to pursue their dreams. This connects personally to my experiences as a young man. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a time when an adopted orphan such as myself could see my aspirations fulfilled. If I had been saddled with debt, I never would have been able to pursue my passion to tinker with parts and invent new machines. But since I was able to, and since I came of age in a time of opportunity, I was able to profit off of my creations. But I never forgot where I came from, and with that money I helped found the Cooper Union, a free University open to all men and women, so that they too could rise in America based on their talents. I also helped found the New York Juvenile Asylum, so that orphans like I once was could be taken care of before finding a home.

The reason I have devoted more time to the Republicans and barely mentioned the Democratic Party is only because the former are far worthier opponents, and the platform of the latter scarcely requires rebuttal. The Democrats' claim to be the party of the common man has always rung hollow, as they have long received the base of their support from the Slave Power. They seek to undo one of the current President's few successes, the Reconstruction of the South, so that wealthy plantation owners can reassert their control over the Negroes and small farmers. They are also, like the Republicans, firmly in the pocket of the business class, as is evidenced by their support for the gold standard.

Given the circumstances of this election, in which two parties--neither of which have the interests of the American people at heart--will campaign for the Presidency, it is clear to me that a third option is necessary. America needs someone who will stand up for all of us, and won't take orders from the monied interests. America needs a President who cares more about the welfare of the nation than filling his own pockets. I believe that I would be that President, and I encourage you to join me as we seek to take back the White House for the people.  
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 02:00:03 AM »

Chamberlain for President Campaign Summary

In the first weeks of March, Chamberlain would look to secure the allegiance of the powerful New England delegations, pointing out that he was, after all, from Maine and a war hero. He would leverage the endorsement of Hannibal Hamlin in an attempt to win over such support in the area. In the south, efforts would be spearheaded by Governor Adelbert Ames, who would campaign for Chamberlain on a firm, but gentle continuation of Reconstruction and promises to support attempts to rebuild Southern infrastructure.

Chamberlain would not openly side with the Radical or Liberal Republicans, instead attempting to triangulate is own position as between them, combining the best of both without the weakeneeses of either. In doing this,he hopes to carve out a support base among those who fervently support Reconstruction and civil rights for blacks, but also hope for less corruption and a professional public service.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 12:25:54 PM »

Sherman March Strategy

During the month of March, William Tecumseh Sherman and his operatives will focus on winning the support of delegates from New York, Ohio, and New Jersey. Campaign operatives will use recent endorsements from Governor Rutherford B. Hayes and Senator Frederick Theodore Frelinghuysen to bolster support from delegates in those states.

Sherman shall not take an active role in campaigning, but he will give speeches from his home in New York City, and provide attendees with a free lunch and campaign pamphlets, contingent on funding from Sherman backers. In the meantime, Sherman will host a variety of local and National Republican figures at his estate, attempting to persuade them to endorse his candidacy.

Sherman will also host several prominent labor leaders from the New York area, as well as representatives of the Black and Tans faction of the Republican Party in the American South. Sherman shall take rest on each Sunday.

Statement on Mr. Butler’s Allegations

Recently, I had the opportunity to read remarks made by Congressman Butler, concerning my record and my character. Let me say that Mr. Butler’s remarks are uncouth and unbecoming of a man of his character. I do not wish to slander or defame Mr. Butler, but I feel it is necessary to speak up when faced with such outrageous denunciations.

I will remind Mr. Butler that his own wartime career was not marked with distinction. He was dismissed from the Union Army after his failure to capture Fort Fisher in 1864. After he heard the Confederate Army was sending reinforcements to the Fort, Mr. Butler chose to withdraw his men and admit defeat. He was promptly replaced by General Alfred Taylor, who managed to capture the Fort just a week later.

That being said, I also take umbrage at his attacks on my personal views. I am a Republican and have voted as such since 1860! I am a supporter of the Black-and-Tans; on this I will not yield or vacillate. I support increasing the rights of women and ensuring the rights of the Negro. To put it plainly, Mr. Butler’s attacks are spurious and unfounded. I lament that a man I used to hold in such high regard has chosen to throw a battery of insults and slander my way. I pray that we may come to a quick and honorable reconciliation.

William Tecumseh Sherman

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »

Turn II : March 16th-31st

Election Season heats up

The Selection season for the United States Presidency is heating up as Former Governor Chamberlain and US Representative Butler take swings at General Sherman in the Republican contest while Governor Tilden and former Governor Palmer has agreed to a debate that will be determined between both campaigns with a time and location. With this happening for the Democratic Party, many are curious as to whether or not the Republican Party will attempt their own debate.

General Election Polling

Generic Republican : 47.2 %
Generic Democrat : 44.5 %
Peter Cooper (Gr-NY) : 3.4 %
Undecided/Others : 4.9 %

William Tecumseh Sherman (NY) : 59.8 %
Benjamin Butler (MA) : 19.4 %
Joshua Chamberlain (ME) : 14.2 %
Elihu B. Washburne (IL) : 4.9 %
Chances of a Brokered Convention : 1.7 %

Samuel J. Tilden (NY) : 41.4 %
John M. Palmer (IL) : 23.9 %
Chances of a Brokered Convention : 34.7 %

This turns last from November 30th to December 9th at 6:30 PM and lasts in game from March 16th-March 31st of 1876. The first few turns will be all about building up your support base in your party through meeting with the bosses of every state to gain enough delegates and acquire significant momentum for the first ballot to really make yourself heard at the convention.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »

Butler’s New Endorsements: Frederick Douglass, Robert Todd Lincoln, James Blaine

Whereas Frederick Douglass, the great abolitionist and statesman, has endorsed Butler, saying, “I am confident that under Benjamin Butler, the voting rights of every Negro and every woman will be respected, enforced, and demanded of these United States. His record shows him as a consistent ally and friend of the Black people of this country and as a man who shares my passionate demands for equality between the black man and the white man, and equality between man and woman.”

Frederick Douglass has written letters to his allies in Congress and in the state parties, urging them to endorse Butler as well. As probably the most prominent Negro in the country, Douglass is likely to get the Blacks and Tans solidly behind Butler. This would solidify the Southern delegates as an important Butler bloc at the Convention.

Robert Todd Lincoln, a Politician of Illinois and son of the great President, said, “Benjamin Butler is the only candidate I can count on to continue my father’s tradition as a man dedicated to Liberty and Justice for all. I see no one as qualified to carry on my father’s vision of equality between the races and sexes.”

Lincoln, joined by other allies in Illinois of Butler, is likely to gain support for Butler among that base of Lincoln die-hards as well as the Midwest in general.

James Blaine, the Republican Leader in the House and long time Speaker, stated, “Representative Butler is a good and decent man, who will stand up for Republican principles on foreign trade, Reconstruction, separation of church and state, and rights of blacks and women. Butler is a fair Republican and a great American who I am proud to support for President.”

Blaine is likely to remain as one of a few very traditional Republicans backing Butler. His influence, especially among Representatives and Reformers, should not be underestimated, and it is likely such delegates now have a pretty clear choice of who to support.
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

Governor Tilden's Strategy

Governor Tilden will meet with the party heads in the Northeast and Midwest the next few weeks.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 04:56:46 AM »

Chamberlain for President Summary

Chamberlain would continue to beef up his support in New England by meeting with leaders in New Hampshire and Vermont. He would also travel this week to Ohio, and, breaking with precedent, deliver a series of speeches on the necessity of party unity and emphasizing the fact that as between the wings of the party, he was best suited to such a task.

He would also meet with party leaders from Michigan and Indiana in an attempt to win their support for his campaign, know that support in the west would be vital at the convention. Finally, Vice President Hamlin would meet with leaders in Wisconsin and Iowa, touting Chamberlain's status as a war hero and his commitment to Republican principles.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 01:59:37 AM »

Sherman Campaign Schedule
During the latter half of March, General Sherman shall focus his attention on the Midwest and the Southern Republican delegations. Campaign operatives shall be dispatched to New Orleans, Columbus, and Springfield to gauge support among the Republican establishment. The General himself shall travel to Chicago in order to meet representatives of the Illinois delegation.

Much attention will be given to the Black-and-Tans, in particular representatives from the Deep South. Operatives shall contact Charleston Republicans via letter, and send an invitation for an in-person meeting with the General. Such accommodations shall come out of the General's personal funds if needed.

The General shall head to Wisconsin and Iowa, to contact Republican delegates in those states. Milwaukee, Madison, and Des Moines are on the itinerary. Finishing the month in Chicago, General Sherman shall meet with civil service reformers, and take the time to listen to proposals concerning Federal employment reform.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Turn III : April 1st to June 13th

March to the Party Conventions

With the opening month of March now finished, the march to the Party conventions have begun. For the Republicans, General Sherman remains the steadfast frontrunner, though it seems like Butler and Chamberlain have remained staunch opposition to his possible nomination and could likely stop it on the first ballot should they gather enough support. Meanwhile, for the Democrats, Tilden once more leads his opponent, though the chances of a contested convention increase ever so slightly as debate emerges about who is the better pick. At the same time, the Stalwart faction of the Republicans, opposed to Reconstruction and horrified at the fact that their three main candidates are supporting it openly, have declared they will not join the convention, meaning around 120 of 378 Delegates will not be at the Republican Convention.

General Election Polling

Generic Republican : 45.3 %
Generic Democrat : 44.6 %
Mr. Peter Cooper (Gr-NY) : 2.7 %
Undecided : 7.4 %

William Tecumseh Sherman (NY) : 49.2 %
Benjamin Butler (MA) : 25.6 %
Joshua Chamberlain (ME) : 20.7 %
Elihu B. Washburne (IL) : 1.9 %
Chances of a Brokered Convention : 2.6 %

Samuel J. Tilden (NY) : 46.8 %
John M. Palmer (IL) : 30.9 %
Chances of a Brokered Convention : 22.3 %

This turns last from December 12 to December 29th at 6:30 PM and lasts in game from for all of April and May as well as Early June of 1876. The This is the last turn to build a stable support base for the convention if you're a Republican. Have fun everyone.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 01:17:13 AM »

A private address to the Black and Tans:

My friends, I am proud to speak before distinguished leaders here, such as Mr. Frederick Douglass. I am a man converted to the cause of equality, and I hope not too late. Not two decades ago, in 1860, I backed Breckinridge and approached Jefferson Davis to unite the Democratic Party. Prior to that, much to my shame, I was a Northern man who spoke up for slavery. I was an advocate for evil, a Democrat, and a man who spoke against equality.

Today? I have been the loudest ally of you and yours. Mr. Douglass, I wrote the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871, the Civil Rights Act of 1875 with Charles Sumner and John Mercer Langston. In the Civil War, I set the precedent of freeing slaves, establishing a legal background for the Emancipation Proclamation. For advocating woman’s suffrage, Ebenezer Hoar - a Republican - used corrupt machinery to force me out of office.

I am now the greatest friend of the African in this country, and I affirm to all of you present: in my administration and mine alone will there be room for white and black, for man and woman. It is important now that we lead this nation onwards, to women’s suffrage, to protecting the rights of immigrants, to ensuring freedom for you and yours throughout the South.

Senator Blanche Bruce, currently the only black Senator, at the same gathering:
I am happy to stand by Ben Butler and declare: Every man in here who seeks to advance our rights and to push back against those who seek to enslave us again, must back Ben. Butler is a good friend of mine, and I am a friend of his. Catholics, women, immigrants, and blacks must form a new portion of the Republican Coalition, and Butler is the man to do that.

We need someone who will tirelessly be our ally and our friend. Benjamin Butler will. We need someone who has said “I am always a friend to Southern rights but an enemy of Southern wrongs.” He is an echo of Frederick Douglass, who, responding to abolitionist criticism of dialogue with slaveowners, said, “I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong.” We believe in equality of the races and of the sexes.

Senator John Sherman, speaking to certain Northern delegates opposed to machine politics:
My brother is a good and honest man. None admire his military success for the Union more than I. However, President Grant, a man I admire nearly as much for such competence, shows that perhaps another General in the White House is not what we need. They will be dominated and undermined by machine politics, and I am sincerely afraid my brother would be bullied into their continued chokehold on political power.

I am glad to endorse Benjamin Butler for President. He is a great man to be President, and he has the temperament, experience, and history of fighting for the common man to lead this great land. I am confident that Butler is the man to unite the Republican Party and lead us to victory this November!

Senator Carl Schurz, speaking to Missouri Republicans and German-American Republicans:
A tenth of Americans were born in Germany; yet we make up only 2% of the Senate. For too long, we as immigrants have been weakened by nativists. I must say: we voted over four to one for Lincoln and Grant, and I believe Mr. Butler is the candidate for Americans of German background and of all backgrounds. I am a man who believes in a fair shake for every man and woman, and I am supporting a candidate who agrees with me on that.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »

John Palmer’s speech to a group of supporters of his Presidential bid on how the Economy should be handled if he was president

I am deeply moved by the expression of confidence and personal attachment which has called me to this service, I am sure my gratitude can make no better return than the pledge I now give before God and these witnesses of unreserved and complete devotion to the interests and welfare of those who have honored me.      
  I deem it fitting on this occasion, while indicating the opinion I hold concerning public questions of present importance, to also briefly refer to the existence of certain conditions and tendencies among our people which seem to menace the integrity and usefulness of their Government.   
  While every American citizen must contemplate with the utmost pride and enthusiasm the growth and expansion of our country, the sufficiency of our institutions to stand against the rudest shocks of violence, the wonderful thrift and enterprise of our people, and the demonstrated superiority of our free government, it behooves us to constantly watch for every symptom of insidious infirmity that threatens our national vigor.   
  The strong man who in the confidence of sturdy health courts the sternest activities of life and rejoices in the hardihood of constant labor may still have lurking near his vitals the unheeded disease that dooms him to sudden collapse.   
  It can not be doubted that our stupendous achievements as a people and our country's robust strength have given rise to heedlessness of those laws governing our national health which we can no more evade than human life can escape the laws of God and nature.   
  Manifestly nothing is more vital to our supremacy as a nation and to the beneficent purposes of our Government than a sound and stable currency. Its exposure to degradation should at once arouse to activity the most enlightened statesmanship, and the danger of depreciation in the purchasing power of the wages paid to toil should furnish the strongest incentive to prompt and conservative precaution.   
  In dealing with our present embarrassing situation as related to this subject we will be wise if we temper our confidence and faith in our national strength and resources with the frank concession that even these will not permit us to defy with impunity the inexorable laws of finance and trade. At the same time, in our efforts to adjust differences of opinion we should be free from intolerance or passion, and our judgments should be unmoved by alluring phrases and unvexed by selfish interests.   
  I am confident that such an approach to the subject will result in prudent and effective remedial legislation. In the meantime, so far as the executive branch of the Government can intervene, none of the powers with which it is invested will be withheld when their exercise is deemed necessary to maintain our national credit or avert financial disaster.   
  Closely related to the exaggerated confidence in our country's greatness which tends to a disregard of the rules of national safety, another danger confronts us not less serious. I refer to the prevalence of a popular disposition to expect from the operation of the Government especial and direct individual advantages.
  The verdict of our voters which condemned the injustice of maintaining protection for protection's sake enjoins upon the people's servants the duty of exposing and destroying the brood of kindred evils which are the unwholesome progeny of paternalism. This is the bane of republican institutions and the constant peril of our government by the people. It degrades to the purposes of wily craft the plan of rule our fathers established and bequeathed to us as an object of our love and veneration. It perverts the patriotic sentiments of our countrymen and tempts them to pitiful calculation of the sordid gain to be derived from their Government's maintenance. It undermines the self-reliance of our people and substitutes in its place dependence upon governmental favoritism. It stifles the spirit of true Americanism and stupefies every ennobling trait of American citizenship.   
  The lessons of paternalism ought to be unlearned and the better lesson taught that while the people should patriotically and cheerfully support their Government its functions do not include the support of the people.   
  The acceptance of this principle leads to a refusal of bounties and subsidies, which burden the labor and thrift of a portion of our citizens to aid ill-advised or languishing enterprises in which they have no concern. It leads also to a challenge of wild and reckless pension expenditure, which overleaps the bounds of grateful recognition of patriotic service and prostitutes to vicious uses the people's prompt and generous impulse to aid those disabled in their country's defense.   
  Every thoughtful American must realize the importance of checking at its beginning any tendency in public or private station to regard frugality and economy as virtues which we may safely outgrow. The toleration of this idea results in the waste of the people's money by their chosen servants and encourages prodigality and extravagance in the home life of our countrymen.   
  Under our scheme of government the waste of public money is a crime against the citizen, and the contempt of our people for economy and frugality in their personal affairs deplorably saps the strength and sturdiness of our national character.
  It is a plain dictate of honesty and good government that public expenditures should be limited by public necessity, and that this should be measured by the rules of strict economy; and it is equally clear that frugality among the people is the best guaranty of a contented and strong support of free institutions.
  One mode of the misappropriation of public funds is avoided when appointments to office, instead of being the rewards of partisan activity, are awarded to those whose efficiency promises a fair return of work for the compensation paid to them. To secure the fitness and competency of appointees to office and remove from political action the demoralizing madness for spoils, civil-service reform has found a place in our public policy and laws. The benefits already gained through this instrumentality and the further usefulness it promises entitle it to the hearty support and encouragement of all who desire to see our public service well performed or who hope for the elevation of political sentiment and the purification of political methods.   
  The existence of immense aggregations of kindred enterprises and combinations of business interests formed for the purpose of limiting production and fixing prices is inconsistent with the fair field which ought to be open to every independent activity. Legitimate strife in business should not be superseded by an enforced concession to the demands of combinations that have the power to destroy, nor should the people to be served lose the benefit of cheapness which usually results from wholesome competition. These aggregations and combinations frequently constitute conspiracies against the interests of the people, and in all their phases they are unnatural and opposed to our American sense of fairness. To the extent that they can be reached and restrained by Federal power the General Government should relieve our citizens from their interference and exactions.   
  Loyalty to the principles upon which our Government rests positively demands that the equality before the law which it guarantees to every citizen should be justly and in good faith conceded in all parts of the land. The enjoyment of this right follows the badge of citizenship wherever found, and, unimpaired by race or color, it appeals for recognition to American manliness and fairness.   
  Our relations with the Indians located within our border impose upon us responsibilities we can not escape. Humanity and consistency require us to treat them with forbearance and in our dealings with them to honestly and considerately regard their rights and interests. Every effort should be made to lead them, through the paths of civilization and education, to self-supporting and independent citizenship. In the meantime, as the nation's wards, they should be promptly defended against the cupidity of designing men and shielded from every influence or temptation that retards their advancement.   
  The people of the United States have decreed that on this day the control of their Government in its legislative and executive branches shall be given to a political party pledged in the most positive terms to the accomplishment of tariff reform. They have thus determined in favor of a more just and equitable system of Federal taxation. The agents they have chosen to carry out their purposes are bound by their promises not less than by the command of their masters to devote themselves unremittingly to this service.
  While there should be no surrender of principle, our task must be undertaken wisely and without heedless vindictiveness. Our mission is not punishment, but the rectification of wrong. If in lifting burdens from the daily life of our people we reduce inordinate and unequal advantages too long enjoyed, this is but a necessary incident of our return to right and justice. If we exact from unwilling minds acquiescence in the theory of an honest distribution of the fund of the governmental beneficence treasured up for all, we but insist upon a principle which underlies our free institutions. When we tear aside the delusions and misconceptions which have blinded our countrymen to their condition under vicious tariff laws, we but show them how far they have been led away from the paths of contentment and prosperity. When we proclaim that the necessity for revenue to support the Government furnishes the only justification for taxing the people, we announce a truth so plain that its denial would seem to indicate the extent to which judgment may be influenced by familiarity with perversions of the taxing power. And when we seek to reinstate the self-confidence and business enterprise of our citizens by discrediting an abject dependence upon governmental favor, we strive to stimulate those elements of American character which support the hope of American achievement.   
  Anxiety for the redemption of the pledges which my party has made and solicitude for the complete justification of the trust the people have reposed in us constrain me to remind those with whom I am to cooperate that we can succeed in doing the work which has been especially set before us only by the most sincere, harmonious, and disinterested effort. Even if insuperable obstacles and opposition prevent the consummation of our task, we shall hardly be excused; and if failure can be traced to our fault or neglect we may be sure the people will hold us to a swift and exacting accountability.   
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »

Chamberlain For President Summary

April 1-8: Chamberlain continue to make speeches across the midwest, attempting to broaden his base of support beyond New England. Topics included a gentle yet firm Reconstruction and an major railroad expansion. Chamberlain stated his vision included two Transcontinental Railroads in order to provide ease of transport across the nation. At the concolusion of this, he boarded a train bound for California.

April 15-22: These days were spent moving through Nevada and California, conducting short meetings with Republicans in those states and holding a productive meeting with the former governor of California, Leland Stanford, also a businessman and a staunch advocate of further railroad expansion. Following this, Chamberlain jumped back onto the train to head back east.

April 29-June 6: Chamberlain spent these days meeting with midwest delegates to rally their support for the convention. Again, Chamberlain stuck to his bread and butter appeal: that he was positioned pretty much in the middle of the more moderate Sherman and the more radical Butler and thus, perfectly positioned to unite both wings of the party in the face of a united Democratic party.

Jun-7-13: These last days were spent developing a convention strategy and shoring up support in New England.

Governor Chamberlain is a man of honor. A man whose personal bravery and courage is beyond doubt. He served on the front lines during the Battle of Gettysburg, and quite arguably saved the Union at Little Round Top.I can think of no better man to see in the White House.
-Former Governor of California Leland Stanford

I was one of Lincoln's wartime governors. I had to make decsions that affected my state in a time of civil war. Every decision I made was in supportof the Union. Every decision I made was with an eye to its perservation. This year, we find ourselves in need of a man who can not just bring Lincoln's vision for America to life, but who can also reform our public service to become the shining beacon it once was. It is my firm belief that Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is that man.
-United States Senator Oliver Morton of Indiana

Like many during the Civil War, I served my country with pride. I led the Ohio 39th into battle many times, and was wounded in the line of fire. While on duty, I heard stories of a Joshua Chamberlain, a professor from Maine who gave his lucrative position at Bowdoin College in order to fight for his Union. I heard tales of how he spent a freezing night in the fields at Fredericksburg, of how he led the 20th Maine in a valiant bayonet charge that has good claim to saving our nation.We have three soldiers running for President this year, all fine men, but Chamberlain is the man best equipped to lead our nation.
-Former Governor of Ohio Edward Follansbee Noyes

These letters were reprinted in as many newspapers in their states as possible.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2020, 12:34:41 PM by Devout Centrist »

William Tecumseh Sherman Campaign Schedule and Strategy

Credit to National Park Service at Vicksburg

April: General Sherman will continue the overall thrust of his campaign, focusing on crucial states in the Midwest, such as Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana. General Sherman will continue to make contact with representatives of the Republican Party from those states, and will personally visit Springfield to make amends with the more stalwart oriented members of the Party in the Midwest. Campaign operatives and surrogates will continue to spread General Sherman's message in the Mid-Atlantic and New England.

May: General Sherman will visit New England, in particular Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont, in the hope of rallying support from delegates in this region. While the General is mindful that most delegates in this region have made up their minds, he will nonetheless dispatch operatives to foster reconciliation between himself and the stalwarts in the region. Delegates will be regaled in Boston, Portland, and Burlington. The General himself will seek to make amends with the more radical delegates in the caucus in the lead up to the convention.

June: In the lead up to the convention, General Sherman will rally support from the Mid Atlantic, in particular Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The General will take the unprecedented step of making a whistle stop tour to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Newark, seeking to meet people on the street and get their view of the campaign. Operatives will continue to work around the clock and spread the General's message to as many undecided delegates as possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies