2008 with a larger field
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:39:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 with a larger field
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: 2008 with a larger field  (Read 12529 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »

Hi everyone! I know it has been a while since I've been here, but I'm back! Life has gotten hectic, but I will try to update this new timeline weekly. Here you go, enjoy!

June 5, 2006: Survey: No clear '08 GOP front-runner, Gore leads Democratic field
WASHINGTON, DC - An NBC/WSJ survey finds that Republicans have no clear national front-runner for the party's 2008 presidential nomination, while Former Vice President Al Gore leads a crowded field of candidates both nationally and in early voting states. Republican candidates polled include Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas, Governor of Florida Jeb Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Former U.S. Secretary of State Collin Powell, Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, Former Governor of New York George Pataki, Former Ambassador Alan Keyes, and 2000 presidential hopeful Gary Bauer. Democrats in the poll include Former Vice President Al Gore, U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton of New York, Retired General Wesley Clark, Former Democratic House Leader Dick Gephardt, Former Governor of Vermont and DNC Chairman Howard Dean, Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun of Illinois, Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, 2004 Democratic Presidential nominee and U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts and his 2004 running-mate John Edwards, Governor of New Jersey Jon Corzine, Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, U.S. Senator Joe Biden of Delaware, U.S. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, and Former U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle. The results are as follows:

National
GOP: Frist 12% Bush 12% Cheney 10% Hutchison 10% Guiliani 7% Romney 5% Other 3% or less
Democratic: Gore 20% Clinton 8% Dean 8% Clark 5% Kerry 5% Edwards 4% Other 3% or less

Iowa
GOP: Frist 15% Bush 10% Cheney 8% Hutchison 8% Giuliani 5% Romney 5% Other 3% or less
Democratic: Gore 23% Clinton 10% Clark 7% Kerry 7% Dean 4% Other 3% or less

New Hampshire
GOP: Giuliani 12% Romney 12% Cheney 10% Bush 8% Frist 8% Hutchison 7% Pataki 4% Other 3% or less
Democratic: Gore 15% Clark 12% Kerry 10% Dean 8% Clinton 8% Edwards 4% Other 3% or less

South Carolina
GOP: Frist 15% Hutchison 10% Cheney 10% Bush 10% Giuliani 5% Romney 5% Other 3% or less
Democratic: Gore 25% Clark 15% Edwards 8% Clinton 8% Kerry 5% Dean 4% Other 3% or less

Michigan
GOP: Frist 12% Romney 10% Giuliani 10% Hutchison 8% Bush 7% Cheney 7% Other 3% or less
Democratic: Gore 19% Clinton 10% Clark 8% Dean 5% Kerry 5% Other 3% or less

August 5, 2006: Clark maintains busy campaign schedule, meets with advisers and potential donors
WASHINGTON, DC - Retired General Wesley Clark has spent the summer campaigning for Democrats running for Governor, U.S. Senate, and Congress. He’s campaigned especially heavily for Democrats in his home state of Arkansas, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, and Florida. But while the Retired General has been busy campaigning for others, sources tell CNN that he has also met with donors for a potential 2008 presidential campaign. Notably, Clark has reportedly met with South Carolina’s most active Democratic Party donors, as well as several donors who donated heavily to President Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996. Additionally, Clark is being advised by Craig Smith, who served as a political adviser to Former President Bill Clinton. Clark has also met with potential staff, including alumni from the successful campaigns of U.S. Senator Ken Salazar of Colorado and Governor of New Mexico Bill Richardson.

September 15, 2006: Potential '08 candidates to campaign ahead of presidential election cycle
WASHINGTON, DC - Possible Republican and Democratic presidential candidates will campaign for Republicans and Democrats running for office in the 2006 midterm elections. Naturally, DNC Chairman Howard Dean will campaign across the nation with Democratic candidates. Former Vice President Al Gore announced he would be campaigning for numerous Democratic candidates for Congress, U.S. Senate, and Governor. Gore's calendar includes more stops in Iowa than any other state. Senator Hillary Clinton of New York, herself running for re-election, will visit New Hampshire for Congressional Democrats ahead of the November election. Retired General Wesley Clark is focusing heavily on helping Democrats in New Hampshire and South Carolina, but also will campaign for Democratic U.S. Senate Candidates Jim Webb of Virginia, Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, and Sherrod Brown of Ohio. And U.S. Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts has put a lot of effort into helping Iowa Democrats, and will continue to do so. Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney, and Former Governor of New York George Pataki all announced schedules heavily focused on helping Republican Congressional and gubernatorial candidates in New Hampshire, Florida, and Michigan. Governor Jeb Bush of Florida will spend considerable time campaigning in his home state of Florida, but also announced that he will help Republican Dick DeVos raise money for his Michigan gubernatorial bid. U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist announced a campaign tour of seven states to help Republican nominees for U.S. Senate. And Former Governor of New York George Pataki will help the efforts of the New Hampshire Republican Party.
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »

Gore 2008!!!! One of the best presidents we never had.
BushKerry04

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »

Gore 2008!!!! One of the best presidents we never had.

Certainly, he should be a front runner.

September 20, 2006: SOURCES: Pataki to announce presidential bid in December
WASHINGTON, DC - Two Republican sources told ABC News that Governor of New York George Pataki, who is not seeking re-election as Governor, will announce a presidential bid in December. While much of Pataki’s campaign team will be alumni from his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, he has also asked a former Executive Director of the New Hampshire Republican Party to lead his communications team, the sources said. One of the sources said Pataki expects to focus heavily on New Hampshire and Michigan.

October 1, 2006: Powell not running for President in 2008
WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Secretary of State Collin Powell announced that he would not seek the 2008 GOP nomination for President. "I will not be a candidate for President, I have a desire to serve the country but not a desire to run for office," Powell told CNN.

October 5, 2006: Cheney won't run for President in 2008, praises several possible candidates
WASHINGTON, DC - Vice President Dick Cheney told CBS News that he won't seek the 2008 Republican nomination for President. "I will not be a candidate for President in 2008, I look forward to continuing my day job and speaking out on the issues I care about," Cheney declared. The Vice President, who considered a presidential bid in 1996, offered praise for several possible GOP candidates. "I like a lot of the Republicans looking at a possible presidential run. Senator Frist has been a reliable friend of this administration, he has shown strong and principled leadership. Mayor Giuliani, Governor Romney, and Governor Pataki have kept taxes low and spending under control in very liberal places. Governor Bush is a friend, I think he is a very smart and talented leader. And Senator Hutchison, Senator Gramm, and Speaker Gingrich are all people I know well and like a lot," Cheney declared.

November 7, 2006: Democrats win control of Congress
WASHINGTON, DC - Democrats regained control of both Houses of Congress after winning six U.S. Senate and thirty-one House Seats.

November 10, 2006: Congressman Dennis Kucinich announces presidential bid, focuses on campaign finance reform, ethics, health care
CLEVELAND, OH - Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio declared his intention to seek the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination during a campaign rally in his hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. "I'm running for President because Democrats deserve a progressive champion as our nominee for President, and Americans deserve a President who will stand up for working families," Kucinich declared. Kucinich called for a $15 minimum wage, single payer health insurance funded by repealing the Bush tax cuts for the very wealthy, term limits, and public financing of all federal elections during his announcement speech. The candidate's campaign will be staffed primarily by current and former staffers of his Congressional office and political campaigns. Kucinich, a former Mayor of Cleveland and candidate for President in 2004, will focus heavily on Iowa, the only state besides his home state of Ohio where he has staff working for him.

November 15, 2006: Phil Gramm announces presidential exploratory committee
DALLAS, TX - Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas announced the formation of a presidential exploratory committee at a press conference in Dallas, Texas. "I am announcing today the formation of an exploratory committee as I consider the possibility of once again seeking the Republican nomination for President. I do so because I believe my experience prepares me to go to Washington to stand up for free markets and individual liberty at a time in which Congress has failed to address complex issues like comprehensive tax reform, entitlement reform, and health insurance reform.," Gramm declared. Gramm, who sought the GOP nomination for President in 1996, said he'd decide if he would enter the race for President before June of 2007.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 11:41:24 PM »

If you don't finish closer 1996 would you mind at least posting the winner between Bush and Bradley in 2004
BushKerry04

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »

If you don't finish closer 1996 would you mind at least posting the winner between Bush and Bradley in 2004

Bush won

December 5, 2006: George Pataki announces presidential bid in Youtube Video; candidate touts moderate credentials, appeals to New Hampshire voters
"I'm George Pataki, and today I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States. As the Republican Governor of a Democratic state, I have experience bringing people together and making decisions based on what is right, not what benefits me politically. As Governor, I worked with Republicans and Democrats to preserve open space, expand access to health insurance for working families, and delivered real tax relief. At a time when our national political discourse is consumed by partisanship, I think it's time for Republicans and Democrats to work together to address the national debt, the fact that millions of Americans lack health insurance, and the need to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy while creating jobs and protecting our enviornment. In the coming days, I'll start my campaign in New Hampshire because I believe voters there agree with me that the time for independent leadership and new ideas is now. Thank you." - Governor George Pataki, GOP Presidential Hopeful

December 10, 2006: Sources: Gore tells donors he's running for President, Clinton speaking to potential staff
WASHINGTON, DC - Multiple sources with knowledge of the plans of Former Vice President Al Gore and U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton of New York told the Associated Press that Gore has told multiple donors that he will seek the 2008 Democratic Nomination for President, though he has not made clear when he will officially announce a campaign. Clinton has begun speaking with potential staff for a 2008 presidential run, the sources said. One of the sources stated that Clinton has hired the campaign manager of her successful 2006 U.S. Senate run to be her New Hampshire Field Director. Additionally, Clinton has spoken with multiple current and former DNC staffers as well as alumni from her 2000 and 2006 U.S. Senate campaigns about working on a possible presidential campaign, the sources stated.

January 5, 2007: Retired General Wesley Clark announces candidacy for President; Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander focuses on jobs, health care, foreign policy, and civil rights in announcement speech
LITTLE ROCK, AR - Joined on stage by his family, Governor of Arkansas Mike Bebe, Senators Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, and Former Governor of South Carolina Jim Hodges, Retired General Wesley Clark officially announced his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Clark discussed his biography and his vision for the country. "I'm running for President to unite our country behind a hopeful agenda that will ensure we lead the world, our economy grows for everyone and not just the very wealthy, and an agenda that ensures that equality for all under the law isn't just a slogan, but national policy," Clark declared. Clark, who sought the 2004 Democratic nomination for President, focused his speech heavily on job creation, health care, foreign policy, and civil rights. Specifically, he called for lower income taxes on individuals earning less than $150,000 and businesses earning less than $1 million, more funding for job training, medicaid expansion, expanded paid medical leave, passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, criminal justice reform, and working with allies on climate change and human rights. Alumni from Former President Bill Clinton's 1992 and 1996 presidential campaigns, Colorado Senator Ken Salazar's 2004 U.S. Senate campaign, and Arkansas Governor Mike Bebe's 2006 Gubernatorial campaign will run Clark's campaign, which will be headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. Additionally, the campaign announced plans to open small offices in Arkansas, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.
BushKerry04

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2019, 01:53:06 PM by BushKerry04 »

January 17, 2007: Carol Moseley-Braun won’t run for President in 2008; Former U.S. Senator and Ambassador endorses Wesley Clark for President
MANCHESTER, NH - At a Clark for President campaign event in New Hampshire, Former U.S. Senator and 2004 Democratic Presidential Hopeful Carol Moseley-Braun announced that she would not run for President in 2008 and is endorsing Wesley Clark for the Democratic Presidential Nomination. “I will not be a candidate for President in 2008 and am endorsing the candidate with the best chance of winning the general election and pursuing an agenda focused on promoting progressive values, inclusion, and equality. That candidate is General Wesley Clark,” Moseley-Braun declared. “I am honored to have the support of Senator Moseley-Braun, who has served as an inspiration to all Americans. Our campaign is about standing up for economic and social policies that reduce inequality and promote prosperity and a sense of belonging for everyone in America, and I thank Senator Moseley-Bruan for joining me in that effort,” Clark declared.

January 20, 2007: Dan Quayle considering presidential bid; Former Vice President tells aides he will decide on presidential bid by June
PHOENIX, AZ - Former Vice President Dan Quayle told an audience of Republicans in Arizona that he is considering a run for the 2008 GOP nomination for President. "There are issues I think we need to have a national conversation about, and I feel my experience gives me some credibility to discuss these issues," Quayle declared. Specifically, the Former U.S. Senator and Congressman from Indiana said he is concerned about the national debt, inequalities in education, and what he describes as excessive federal regulations. Sources told CNN that Quayle has told aides that he will make a decision on whether to run for President by June.

January 25, 2007: Mitt Romney announces presidential bid; Former Governor of Massachusetts calls for GOP unity, free market economic policies during campaign event
DETRIOT, MI - With his family at his side, Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney announced his intention to seek the 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination during a speech at an automobile museum in Detroit, Michigan. Romney, a businessman who served as CEO of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, spoke of his experience in the private sector and government while calling for lower taxes, less regulation, and less federal spending. “During my career in the private sector and four years as Governor of a state following a recession, I learned how to bring people together, do more with less, and create jobs. I understand what it means to have to balance a budget, meet payroll, and make decisions,” Romney declared. He also called for capping federal spending increases to the rate of inflation, lowering income taxes while reducing the number of corporate deductions, reducing the number of federal regulations, and reforming social security and medicaid. Romney’s campaign will be headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. While most of his campaign staff are alumni from his 2002 gubernatorial campaign and staff while Governor, he’s also hired staffers who worked on the successful campaigns of Tom Ridge, Former Governor of Pennsylvania, and Judd Gregg's successful 1998 and 2004 U.S. Senate campaigns in New Hampshire.

January 27, 2007: Phil Gramm announces candidacy for President; Former U.S. Senator from Texas touts conservative credentials during campaign announcement in Texas
DALLAS, TX - Joined on stage by his family, Republican Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas announced his intention to run for President in 2008. "Today, I am announcing that I will seek the Republican nomination for President because our Republican Party deserves a nominee who stands up for conservative values, and all Americans deserve a President who will work to expand economic opportunities and lead with integrity," Gramm declared. The candidate called for a 15% flat tax, constitutional balanced budget amendment, and health care reform centered on free market principles. "I have a record of leading the efforts in the United States Senate to reduce the deficit, cut taxes for working families, roll back regulations that prevented businesses from creating jobs, and stop socialized medicine. I am running for President on my record as a conservative for my entire career," Gramm declared. Gramm's campaign will be headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Gramm's campaign leadership and staff are diverse in their backrounds; some are former Gramm U.S. Senate staffers, while others have served as RNC staffers and on the campaigns of President George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, Mark Sanford's campaigns for Governor of South Carolina, and as staffers for Former Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating.

February 1, 2007: Tom Daschle will run for President in 2008; Former U.S. Senate Democratic Leader says he can unite Democrats
WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that he will seek the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination during an interview. "I am running for President, I have a record of uniting Democrats and winning elections in a Republican state," Daschle declared. Daschle emphasized his biography as the son of working class parents and said fiscal responsibility, energy policy, and agriculture would be center to his campaign. "I know we can support our farmers, promote clean energy through tax credits, and still balance the federal budget," Dascle declared. The candidate has yet to open a national campaign headquarters, but has hired staff in Iowa.

BushKerry04

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:33:04 PM »

February 5, 2007: John Kerry announces presidential campaign during ABC News interview
WASHINGTON, DC - John Kerry announced that he would once again run for President in 2008, telling ABC News that he is best positioned to unite the Democratic Party. "I think I proved in the primary three years ago I can unite Democrats behind a campaign, the issues I talked about then are just as relevant today so I am going to run for President again," Kerry declared. When asked about his ability to win a general election, Kerry said he believes he is better positioned to win in the fall of 2008 than other candidates. "I lost Ohio by a small margin, I won in places like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and New Hampshire that Democrats need to win in 2008," Kerry stated. Kerry said health care, campaign finance reform, and energy would be center to his campaign in 2008.

February 7, 2007: Businessman Morry Taylor running for President in 2008; 1996 candidate says he will run on the same issues in 2008
IOWA CITY, IA - Businessman Morry Taylor declared his intention to seek the 2008 GOP nomination for President at a campaign event in Iowa City, Iowa. "I have made the decision to once again run for President because the issues I discussed in my last campaign continue to be issues. I am concerned about manufacturing jobs being sent overseas because of unfair trade deals, I am concerned about a rising national debt, and I am concerned about workers and businesses paying higher prices without seeing rising paychecks," Taylor said. The candidate pledged to self finance part of his campaign, as he did in 1996, and has hired staff in Iowa.

February 15, 2007: Bill Frist announces candidacy for President; Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader leaders touts experience, talks health care and taxes during speech in hometown
NASHVILLE, TN - After being introduced and endorsed by U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Former U.S. Senator Majority Leader Bill Frist announced his candidacy for the 2008 GOP nomination for President at a campaign event in his hometown of Nashville, Tennessee. "Today, I am announcing that I am running for President because Americans deserve experienced leadership committed to conservative values," Frist declared. The candidate spoke about his experience as a physician and in the United States Senate while calling for health care and tax reform, including a 15% flat income tax and a free market approach to health insurance. "I'm proud to have led the effort to pass President Bush's tax cuts that have helped create millions of new jobs right here in Tennessee and across America. But our tax code is in need of reform, which is why I will advocate for a 15% flat income tax if elected President. Additionally, I'm proud to have worked with my colleagues in Congress on making health insurance more affordable, that is an effort I'll continue to advocate for if elected. We can preserve medicare and medicaid while embracing tort reform and allowing people to purchase insurance across state lines to lower the cost of health insurance in America," Frist declared. The Frist campaign, which will be run by several former Frist aides and RNC staffers, will be headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee. The Frist campaign announced that Tennessee's entire Republican congressional delegation and a majority of Republicans serving in the state legislature are supporting Frist for President.

February 20, 2007: WSJ/NBC Survey: Gore leads Democratic field nationally and in early voting states, Clark surges to second nationally and in South Carolina; no clear GOP front-runner

National Democratic Primary
Al Gore 23%
Wesley Clark 15%
Hillary Clinton 10%
Bill Bradley 8%
Howard Dean 8%
John Kerry 7%
John Edwards 5%
Tom Daschle 4%
Dick Gephardt 4%
Al Sharpton 2%
Bill Richardson 1%
Evan Bayh 1%
Joe Biden 1%
Jerry Brown 1%
Chris Dodd 1%
Jon Corzine 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

Iowa Democratic Caucuses
Al Gore 20%
Bill Bradley 8%
Wesley Clark 8%
Howard Dean 7%
Hillary Clinton 7%
John Kerry 7%
Tom Daschle 5%
John Edwards 4%
Dick Gephardt 4%
Al Sharpton 2%
Bill Richardson 2%
Evan Bayh 1%
Joe Biden 1%
Jerry Brown 1%
Chris Dodd 1%
Jon Corzine 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary
Al Gore 17%
Bill Bradley 14%
Howard Dean 10%
Wesley Clark 10%
Hillary Clinton 8%
John Kerry 7%
Tom Daschle 5%
John Edwards 4%
Dick Gephardt 3%
Al Sharpton 3%
Bill Richardson 1%
Evan Bayh 1%
Joe Biden 1%
Jerry Brown 1%
Chris Dodd 1%
Jon Corzine 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

South Carolina Democratic Primary
Al Gore 27%
Wesley Clark 15%
Hillary Clinton 5%
Bill Bradley 5%
John Edwards 5%
Howard Dean 4%
John Kerry 3%
Tom Daschle 3%
Dick Gephardt 2%
Al Sharpton 2%
Bill Richardson 1%
Evan Bayh 1%
Joe Biden 1%
Jerry Brown 1%
Chris Dodd 1%
Jon Corzine 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

National GOP Primary
Bill Frist 12%
Jeb Bush 12%
Rudy Giuliani 12%
Phil Gramm 8%
Newt Gingrich 7%
Mitt Romney 5%
Dan Quayle 5%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 4%
Alan Keyes 3%
Morry Taylor 2%
George Pataki 2%
Mike Huckabee 1%
Peter King 1%
Gary Bauer 1%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Rick Santorum 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

Iowa GOP Caucuses
Bill Frist 14%
Jeb Bush 12%
Phil Gramm 10%
Rudy Giuliani 7%
Newt Gingrich 7%
Mitt Romney 5%
Dan Quayle 5%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 5%
Alan Keyes 2%
Morry Taylor 2%
George Pataki 1%
Mike Huckabee 1%
Peter King 1%
Gary Bauer 1%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Rick Santorum 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

New Hampshire GOP Primary
Rudy Giuliani 12%
Jeb Bush 10%
Bill Frist 9%
Mitt Romney 9%
Phil Gramm 8%
Newt Gingrich 7%
Dan Quayle 5%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 5%
Alan Keyes 2%
Morry Taylor 2%
George Pataki 2%
Mike Huckabee 1%
Peter King 1%
Gary Bauer 1%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Rick Santorum 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

South Carolina GOP Primary
Jeb Bush 17%
Bill Frist 15%
Phil Gramm 15%
Newt Gingrich 7%
Rudy Giuliani 5%
Mitt Romney 5%
Dan Quayle 4%
Kay Bailey Hutchison 4%
Alan Keyes 3%
Morry Taylor 2%
George Pataki 1%
Mike Huckabee 1%
Peter King 1%
Gary Bauer 1%
Tommy Thompson 1%
Rick Santorum 1%
Tom Tancredo 1%

February 23, 2007: SOURCES: Bush not running for President; Former Florida Governor tells allies he won't run for President in 2008, will make official announcement in March
WASHINGTON, DC - Several sources told the Associated Press that Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush has told multiple allies he will not seek the 2008 GOP Presidential Nomination, citing his desire to return to the private sector after eight years serving as Florida's Governor. Bush has said he will likely make an official announcement sometime in March. "He believes the timing is off, and he wants to return to the private sector rather than run for office again at this point," one source said. Multiple sources also confirmed that Bush declined to rule out a future run for President.

February 25, 2007: Clark announces campaign co-chairs; Former South Carolina Governor, Former U.S. Senator and Ambassador will serve as Clark for President national campaign co-chairs
ARLINGTON, VA - At a press conference at his national campaign headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark was joined by his new national campaign co-chairs, Former Governor of South Carolina Jim Hodges and Former U.S. Senator and Ambassador Carol Moseley-Braun. "Jim Hodges and Carol Moseley-Braun represent the very best of public service, I am proud that they have agreed to serve our campaign as we bring our message of standing up for economic and social policies that reduce inequality, promote prosperity, and help all Americans feel a sense of belonging to every corner of this land," Clark declared.
BushKerry04

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »

March 1, 2007: Bush endorses Romney for President; Former Governor of Florida announces he won't run for President in 2008
MIAMI BEACH, FL - Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush announced that he won't seek the 2008 GOP nomination for President and will support Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney. Bush and Romney appeared together at a Romney for President event in Miami Beach, Florida, where Bush made the announcement. "I have made the decision not to run for President in 2008. I believe that having experience in the private sector and leading a state is necessary experience one should have before seeking the presidency. I have that experience, as does Mitt Romney. If I were to run for President, I would simply divide the votes of Republicans who agree with Mitt and I in this regard. So I am here today endorsing Mitt Romney for President," Bush declared. "I thank Jeb Bush for his friendship and endorsement. Whether it be tax relief, improving education, or preserving the Everglades, Jeb Bush can be proud of his eight years serving as your Governor and he will continue to contribute a lot to this state and our nation," Romney declared.

March 5, 2007: Phil Gramm wins CPAC Straw Poll
WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas easily won a straw poll of attendees at the annual Conservative Political Action Committee Conference in Washington D.C. 30% of those who participated in the straw poll voted to support Gramm for President. Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney won the support of 18% of attendees who participated in the poll, followed by 15% for Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, 10% for Former Vice President Dan Quayle, and 5% each for Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Former Ambassador Alan Keyes. Other GOP candidates received 3% or less.

March 7, 2007: Alan Keyes announces candidacy for President; Former Ambassador tells ABC News he will run as a conservative alternative to leading candidates 
WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview with ABC News, Former Ambassador Alan Keyes announced his candidacy for President in 2008. "I will be a candidate for President," Keyes declared. The candidate spoke of his support of lower taxes and education reform while stating that he is more conservative than fellow candidates Mitt Romney and Bill Frist, as well as possible candidate Rudy Giuliani. "I am a conservative alternative to the establishment candidates," Keyes declared.

March 10, 2007: Bill Bradley announces candidacy for President; Former U.S. Senator talks progressive values during announcement speech
MANCHESTER, NH - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey announced his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination during a campaign speech in Manchester, New Hampshire. "Today, I announce my candidacy for President in the 2008 election," Bradley declared. The retired professional basketball player called for reversing Republican tax cuts to fund universal health insurance and student loan forgiveness, campaign finance reform that includes public financing of all federal elections, a cap & trade program to reduce carbon emissions, bipartisan social security and medicare reform, and passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. "Our campaign is about working together to bring about bold, progressive change. Let this be a campaign about issues and ideas, not one that focuses on what some critics say we can't do," Bradley declared. Bradley's campaign will be headquartered in Manchester, New Hampshire and run by experienced progressive political operatives from New Hampshire and New Jersey.

😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 05:52:15 AM »

Great TL. Go Al Gore, go!
BushKerry04

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:57:06 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2020, 08:35:20 PM by BushKerry04 »

March 12, 2007: Howard Dean announces candidacy for President; Former Governor of Vermont resigns as DNC Chair, pledges to unite Democrats
BURLINGTON, VT - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean announced at a press conference in Burlington, Vermont that he will resign as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee in order to seek the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination, arguing he's best positioned to unite Democrats to win the 2008 election. "As Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, I did what I did here in Vermont. I built a winning coalition. If we Democrats want to win in 2008, we need a candidate who can both energize our base while reaching out to independents, and I've done just that. So I'm running for President to not only win, but to bring about the progressive change we need," Dean said. Dean also said his campaign, which will be staffed by several DNC staffers who will resign to work on his campaign, will focus heavily on Iowa and New Hampshire.

March 15, 2007: Al Gore announces candidacy for President; Former Vice President talks climate change, jobs, and debt during CBS interview
WASHINGTON, DC - Former Vice President Al Gore announced during a CBS News interview that he is running for President in 2008. "The issues we face, whether it be climate change, uncertainty in terms of economic growth, the national debt, these are issues that I'm familiar with and have the ability to look at not only in terms of experience, but with bold solutions as well. That's why I'm announcing today that I am a candidate for President in 2008," Gore stated. Gore also said that his campaign will be a national one, though he did emphasize the importance of contests in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. "People across the country know me, they know my record and they know where I stand on issues. My job is to campaign everywhere, starting with Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina," Gore declared. Gore's campaign, which will be staffed by long time aides, will be headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

March 17, 2007: Clark, Gore release endorsement lists
WASHINGTON, DC - Retired General Wesley Clark and Former Vice President Al Gore each released endorsement lists just two days after Gore entered the presidential race. The following endorsements have been announced:

Endorsing Wesley Clark for President:

Current and Former Governors:
David Pryor of Arkansas
Mike Beebe of Arkansas
Janet Napolitano of Arizona
Bill Ritter of Colorado
Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
Jim Hodges of South Carolina
Jennifer Granholm of Michigan
Brad Henry of Oklahoma
Mike Easley of North Carolina
Ted Strickland of Ohio

Current and Former United States Senators:
Mark Pryor of Arkansas
Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas
Debbie Stabenow of Michigan
Jim Webb of Virginia
Bob Graham of Florida
Carol Moseley Braun of Illinois
Patty Murray of Washington
Bob Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania

Current and Former Members of Congress:
Marion Berry of Arkansas
Vic Snyder of Arkansas
Mike Ross of Arkansas
David Price of North Carolina
Brad Miller of North Carolina
Tim Ryan of Ohio
Marcy Kaptur of Ohio
Dan Boren of Oklahoma
Chaka Fattah of Pennsylvania
Patrick Murphy of Pennsylvania
Allyson Schwartz of Pennsylvania
Mike Doyle of Pennsylvania

Former Administration Officials:
Former U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Epsy
Former U.S. Secretary of Transportation Rodney E. Slater
Former U.S. Secretary of Treasury Robert Rubin
Former U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Jim Jones

Current and Former Mayors:
John F. Street of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Michael B. Coleman of Columbus, Ohio
Mark Mallory of Cincinnati, Ohio
Virgil Bernero of Lansing, Michigan
Joseph P. Riley Jr. of Charleston, South Carolina

Endorsing Al Gore for President:

Phil Bredesen of Tennessee
Christine Gregoire of Washington
Jim Hunt of North Carolina
Jim Doyle of Wisconsin

Diane Feinstein of California
Barbara Boxer of California
Bill Nelson of Florida
Ben Nelson of Nebraska
Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico
Jack Reed of Rhode Island
Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island
Ben Cardin of Maryland
Barbara Mikulski of Maryland
Erskine Bowles of North Carolina
Mary Landrieu of Louisiana
J. Bennett Johnson of Louisiana
Ron Wyden of Oregon
Herb Kohl of Wisconsin
Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia

Current and Former Members of Congress:
Jim Cooper of Tennessee
Lincoln Davis of Tennessee
Bart Gordon of Tennessee
John Tanner of Tennessee
Steven Cohen of Tennessee
Bob Clement of Tennessee
Lloyd Doggett of Texas
Rick Larsen of Washington
Adam Smith of Washington
Nick Rahall of West Virginia
Ron Kind of Wisconsin
Shelley Berkley of Nevada
Russ Carnahan of Missouri
Bennie Thompson of Mississippi

Former Cabinet Officials:
Former U.S. Vice President Walter Mondale
Former U.S. Secretary of State Madeline Albright
Former Deputy U.S. Secretary of State Strobe Talbott
Former U.S. Secretary of Treasury Lawrence Summers
Former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta
Former U.S. Ambassador to Canada Gordon Griffin
Former U.S. Ambassador to China Jim Sasser

Current and Former Mayors:
Bill Purcell of Nashville, TN
David Dinkins of New York, NY
Antonio Villaraigosa of Los Angeles, CA

March 20, 2007: Dan Quayle announces candidacy for President; Former Vice President focuses on trade, spending, and judicial nominations during announcement speech
HUNTINGTON, IN - Joined by his family, Former U.S. Senator Dan Coats of Indiana, and several current and former members of Indiana's Republican congressional delegation, Former Vice President Dan Quayle declared his intention to run for President in the 2008 election, pledging to support free trade, cap federal spending, pass a constitutional balanced budget amendment, reduce the national debt, and appoint conservative judges. "I'm running for President of the United States because I have the determination to win, the conservative values we need, and the experience to lead," Quayle declared. Quayle, who briefly sought the 2000 GOP presidential nomination, has brought on a small, yet experienced staff of Indiana Republicans who helped Mitch Daniels win two gubernatorial elections. His campaign headquarters will be in Indianapolis, Indiana.

BushKerry04

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »

March 23, 2007: Al Shaprton running for President; Candidates announces candidacy during CNN interview
NEW YORK, NY - Reverend Al Sharpton announced during an interview on CNN that he will seek the 2008 Democratic Nomination for President. "I'm running for President in 2008, I want to make this campaign one about values and ideas, not just partisan politics," Sharpton declared. Sharpton said education reform, health care, and economic development will be central to his candidacy. "I think the American people are looking for someone to focus less on partisan talking points and more on solving inequalities in education and health care, and promoting economic growth not just through the tax code, but in promoting affordable housing, better infrastructure, and business investment in every community," Sharpton declared. Sharpton's campaign will be headquartered in Jersey City, New Jersey and run by veterans of New York and New Jersey Democratic Party politics.

March 25, 2007: Kay Bailey Hutchison announces candidacy for President; candidate makes announcement in New Hampshire
MANCHESTER, NH - Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas declared her intention to seek the 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination during a press conference in Manchester, New Hampshire. Hutchison called for making Republican tax relief permanent, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, and less economic regulation. "I have made the decision to run for President in 2008 because experience matters, and I have the experience to lead," Hutchison declared. Hutchison's campaign, which will be run by her long time advisers, will be headquartered in Washington, D.C. 

March 27, 2007: Rudy Giuliani enters presidential race; Former Mayor emphasizes experience, electability during Fox News appearance
WASHINGTON, DC - Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani declared his intention to run for President in 2008 during an interview on Fox News, touting his experience and electoral successes in 1993 and 1997. "I won as a Republican in a very liberal city twice and was able to cut taxes, control spending, and promote job creation," Giuliani declared. Giuliani's campaign, which will be run by longtime associates from his time as Mayor, will be headquartered in New York, NY.

April 2, 2007: Evan Bayh announces candidacy for President; candidate criticizes Dean, Kerry, and Bradley
IOWA CITY, IA - Evan Bayh declared his intention to seek the 2008 Democratic Nomination for President during a town hall event in Iowa, calling on Democrats to focus on electability as opposed to ideological purity. "If we Democrats want to win the next election, we should focus on nominating the best candidate to win. Unfortunately, some of my fellow candidates are running on ideas that are not supported by a majority of Democrats or Americans. I intend to make this campaign one about doing what is right, not what only appeals to a small number of Democrats," Bayh declared. Later, when asked if Bayh was referencing fellow candidates Howard Dean, John Kerry, and Bill Bradley, Bayh answered yes. Bayh's campaign will be headquartered in Iowa and run by veterans of Iowa Democratic Party politics.

April 5, 2007: Gore leads Democratic field in fundraising as Frist and Gramm lead GOP field
WASHINGTON, DC - Former Vice President Al Gore enjoys a large fundraising advantage over his competitors for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination, having raised $25 million in the first quarter of 2007. Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean raised $15 million, followed by Retired General Wesley Clark with $12 million, John Kerry with $10 million, Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey with $7.5 million, Former U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle with $5 million, Former U.S. Senator John Edwards of North Carolina with $2 million, and other Democratic candidates raising $1 million or less. On the GOP side, Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas each raised $18.5 million in the first quarter of 2007, followed by Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney with $12 million, Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with $5.5 million, Former U.S. Vice President Dan Quayle with $3.5 million, Businessman Morry Taylor with $1.5 million, Former Governor of New York George Pataki with $1.1 million, and other GOP candidates with $1 million or less.
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »

Both parties have some crowded and talented fields! Shall be interesting who comes out on top.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 07:45:36 PM »

When will Condi jump in?
BushKerry04

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 12:13:43 AM »

Both parties have some crowded and talented fields! Shall be interesting who comes out on top.

Thank you!

We shall see....

BushKerry04

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 12:08:06 AM »

April 10, 2007: Jerry Brown declares candidacy for President; Former Governor of California calls for campaign finance reform, tax reform, and cap and trade during Iowa town hall
IOWA CITY, IA - Former Governor of California Jerry Brown declared his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination during a town hall meeting with supporters in Iowa. Brown called for sweeping campaign finance reform, including free political advertising for all candidates on public television and monthly disclosure of donors for all federal office candidates, a 15% flat income tax on incomes over $100,000 and a 15% national sales tax on all purchases over $50, and a cap and trade program to reduce carbon emissions during the event. "What this country needs is a leader who has stood up to special interests and who is in touch with the concerns of everyday Americans," Brown declared. Brown pledged to focus heavily on winning Iowa's caucuses, but didn't disclose where his campaign headquarters will be or who will run his campaign.

April 15, 2007: Bill Frist releases endorsements of several current and former colleagues, cabinet officials, Bob Dole, James Baker, and others
NASHVILLE, TN - The campaign of Republican Presidential Hopeful Bill Frist announced that the following individuals are endorsing Frist for President:

Bob Dole of Kansas
Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina
Orin Hatch of Utah
John Warner of Virginia
George Allen of Virginia
Mitch McConnell of Kentucky
Richard Shelby of Alabama
Roger Wickler of Mississippi
Trent Lott of Mississippi
Pat Roberts of Kansas
Mike Enzi of Wyoming
John Barrasso of Wyoming
Lamar Alexander of Tennessee
Bob Corker of Tennessee
John Breaux of Louisiana
Mel Martinez of Florida

Don Sundquist of Tennessee
Haley Barbour of Mississippi
Ernie Fletcher of Kentucky
Scott McCallum of Wisconsin
John Engler of Michigan

Current and former members of Congress:
David Davis of Tennessee
Jimmy Duncan of Tennessee
Zach Wamp of Tennessee
Lincoln Davis of Tennessee
Jim Cooper of Tennessee
Chip Pickering of Mississippi

Others:
Former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker
Former White House Chief of Staff Samuel K. Skinner
Former White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card

vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2020, 07:10:19 PM by vanteran »

I'm assuming Obama and McCain aren't considering bids? I could see how Obama says "it's too early for me and my family" and McCain says "my time has past to be president". If Hillary runs I could envision the race narrowing down between herself, Gore, Clark and maybe Kerry for the Dems and the race eventually narrowing down between Gramm, Frist and Romney for the GOP.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »

I'm assuming Obama and McCain aren't considering bids? I could see how Obama says "it's too early for me and my family" and McCain says "my time has past to be president". If Hillary runs I could envision the race narrowing down between herself, Gore, Clark and maybe Kerry for the Dems and the race eventually narrowing down between Gramm, Frist and Romney for the GOP.

I can see Obama not doing it but I think McCain will still at least try
BushKerry04

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »

Current Democratic Field (11)

• Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN)
  • Fmr. Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ)
  • State Attorney General Jerry Brown (D-CA)
  • Retired General Wesley Clark (D-AR)
  • Fmr. Senator Tom Daschle (D-SD)
  • Fmr. DNC Chairman Howard Dean (D-VT)
  • Fmr. Senator John Edwards (D-NC)
  • Fmr. Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)
  • Senator John Kerry (D-MA)
  • Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
  • Reverend Al Sharpton (D-NY)

Current Republican Field (10)

• Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)
  • Fmr. Senator Bill Frist (R-TN)
  • Fmr. Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
  • Fmr. Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY)
  • Fmr. Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX)
  • Fmr. Ambassador Alan Keyes (R-MD)
  • Fmr. Governor George Pataki (R-NY)
  • Fmr. Vice President Dan Quayle (R-IN)
  • Fmr. Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA)
  • Businessman Morry Taylor (R-MI)

Thank you for this!

April 17, 2007: Gary Hart to seek 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination; Former U.S. Senator from Colorado focuses on party unity during appearance on MSNBC
WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Senator Gary Hart of Colorado, during an interview on MSNBC, made a surprise announcement that he will run for President in 2008. Hart, who previously sought the presidency in 1984 and 1988, said he feels he can unite Democrats behind his candidacy. "I think I have the ability to unite progressives and moderates in the primary so we can unite all voters to build a winning coalition in the general election," Hart declared. While Hart didn't get into specific policy proposals, he did say deficit reduction, climate change, and health care would be central to his campaign. Hart said he has plans to hire a small staff in Iowa and will focus heavily on the state.

April 25, 2007: Mike Huckabee running for President in 2008; Former Governor of Arkansas announced candidacy during Fox News interview
WASHINGTON, DC - Former Governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee told Fox News he will run for the 2008 Republican nomination for President. Huckabee said tax reform, appointing conservative judges, and improving the nation's infrastructure would be priorities of his if elected President. "As a Governor, I have had to make decisions. My focus has been improving our roads and schools, helping to expand access to health insurance, and opposing unnecessary tax increases. I want to use my experience as President," Huckabee declared. Huckabee's campaign will be headquartered in South Carolina and run by several alumni of his gubernatorial campaigns.

April 27, 2007: Tom Ridge announces presidential candidacy; Former Governor of Pennsylvania makes electability argument during Youtube announcement
"I'm Tom Ridge, and I'm running for President of the United States in 2008. I'm proud to have served our country and my home state of Pennsylvania. Now, as Republicans, we need a candidate for President who not only believes in free markets and individual liberty, but a candidate with the ability to win a general election and govern. While some of my friends in this primary have won tough elections in Democratic jurisdictions, I am the only candidate who has never lost a tough race in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans. As Governor, I worked with Republicans and Democrats to cut taxes, control spending, and improve the quality of education through higher standards. I also have experience in the private sector, I know how to create jobs. Join me and together, we will win this election. Thank you.

May 1, 2007: Survey: Gore maintains lead in Democratic Primary as Frist, Giuliani, and Gramm compete for GOP support amongst announced candidates
WASHINGTON, DC - A new WSJ/NBC poll finds that Former Vice President Al Gore maintains a commanding lead in the race for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination in early primary and caucus states, as well as nationally, while GOP candidates Bill Frist, Rudy Giuliani, and Phil Gramm are the top choices of Republican voters amongst those who have formally entered the race for President. Nationally, Gore has support from 30% of Democrats, followed by Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley at 15%, Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean at 8%, and Retired General Wesley Clark and John Kerry tied at 5% each. All other Democratic candidates earned 3% or less in the poll. Gore also leads with 28% in Iowa, followed by Bradley at 15%, Dean at 8%, Clark at 5%, Kerry at 4%, and other candidates at 3% or less. In New Hampshire, Gore leads with 23%, as Bradley and Dean are tied for 2nd with 10%, followed by Clark at 7%, Kerry at 5%, Evan Bayh with 4%, and other candidates polling at 2% or less. In South Carolina, Gore has the support of 29% of Democrats, followed by Clark at 17%, Bradley at 10%, Dean at 8%, Former U.S. Senator John Edwards of North Carolina at 7%, Kerry at 5%, and other candidates earning 3% or less. On the Republican side, nationally, Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist has the support of 15% of primary voters, followed by 14% for Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, and 12% for Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas. Former Vice President Dan Quayle, Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney, and Kay Bailey Hutchison are tied at 5% each as all other candidates earn 2% or less. In Iowa, Frist leads the field with 14%, followed by Gramm with 12%, Giuliani and Romney at 8%, Hutchison and Quayle at 7%, and other candidates at 4% or less. In New Hampshire, Giuliani has the support of 17% of primary voters, followed by Romney and Frist tied at 15% each, Hutchison with 7%, Quayle and Former Governor of New York George Pataki tied with 5% each, and other candidates earning 3% or less. In South Carolina, Frist and Gramm are tied for first with 15% each, followed by Hutchison and Giuliani with 8%, Quayle with 7%, Romney and Former Ambassador Alan Keyes tied at 3%, and others earning 2% or less.

BushKerry04

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »

Current Democratic Field (12)

• Fmr. Senator Gary Hart (D-CO)

Current Republican Field (12)

• Fmr. Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
  • Fmr. Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR)
  • Fmr. DHS Secretary Tom Ridge (R-PA)

Thank you again!

May 5, 2007: Wesley Clark tells donors he learned from '04 mistakes, will pursue a different strategy in 2008
BOSTON, MA - Multiple sources confirmed to CNN that Retired General and Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark put forth his campaign strategy during a private fundraiser with dozens of business leaders and Democratic activists in Boston, Massachusetts. "The mistake we made in 2004 was announcing in the fall and skipping Iowa yet trying to run a national campaign beyond that with limited resources," Clark told those in attendance. The candidate put forth a different strategy for 2008. "To be quite frank, we think our best chance is to be in the top 3 in Iowa, the top 2 in New Hampshire, and we have to win South Carolina before moving on to Michigan and so on. Our argument is not so much an ideological one, it's more one of making the case to voters that I have experience in foreign policy, I have the right vision on the economy and social issues, and I can unite the country behind my candidacy because unity is important to me personally as it is to all of you," Clark said according to the sources. "I am going to try really hard to win every contest, but in terms of money, for every dollar we raise, 10 cents will go to our national campaign, 10 cents will go to the states that vote on mini-Tuesday, 15 cents will go to Iowa, 20 cents will go to New Hampshire, and 45 cents will go to South Carolina. We think most of the candidates in the field will focus on Iowa, I hope to win there but our goal is to be at least in the top three. In New Hampshire, we think we can do a bit better because of my established relationships from the last campaign and the fact that I am doing really well with independents who vote in that primary. South Carolina is key not only because I am from the south, but because no other candidate is focusing as much on the state at this point in time as we are. I'm investing resources and spending time there this cycle, frankly, I didn't do the same last time I ran," he added, according to the sources.

May 10, 2007: Al Gore puts forth list of priorities; Former Vice President focuses on income inequality, the enviornment, and education
AMES, IA - Democratic Presidential Hopeful and Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore spoke before an audience in Ames, Iowa about top five priorities if elected President. Gore's priorities are the following:

1. Reducing income inequality - Gore's plan calls for tripling the earned income tax create, gradually raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour, making community college free, increasing funding for pell grants for higher education and vocational training, and establishing new health insurance subsidies and expanding medicaid to make health insurance universal for those earning up to $50,000. Gore says his proposals are paid for by increasing the top income tax rate from 39% to 45% while also increasing the capital gains tax by 25% across-the-board over $500,000.

2. Protecting the enviornment - Gore called for the establishment of a cap & trade program, federal regulations to reduce carbon emissions by 50% by the year 2030, tripling green energy tax credits, increasing automobile fuel efficiency standards to 60 miles per gallon by the year 2025, working with utility companies to make the U.S. power grid 50% solar and wind by the year 2040, and requiring all future construction to be LEED certified. Gore also said he would work with the United Nations to reduce carbon emissions worldwide.

3. Education Reform - Gore called for increasing funding for special needs classrooms and schools with graduation rates below the national average, smaller class sizes, a 10% increase in pay for teachers, and adding more technological training with grants for underfunded districts to help support such a curriculum.

BushKerry04

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »

May 12, 2007: Dick Gephardt announces candidacy for President; Former Democratic House Leader criticizes leading candidates
WASHINGTON, DC - Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt announced on ABC News that he is seeking the 2008 Democratic Nomination for President. The former Missouri Congressman criticized the leading Democratic presidential hopefuls and called for a higher federal minimum wage, greater worker's rights, and trade agreements that are both free and fair. "I have said that many of the trade agreements we've seen in recent years have not been fair to labor, I am not against free trade but I am for fair trade. And I think this issue, along with the minimum wage and the rights of workers in general deserve a voice in this election, and I intend to be that voice so I'm running for President," Gephardt declared. The candidate also offered criticism of some of his Democratic rivals. "Look, Al Gore and Howard Dean have been championing the very trade deals that have sent American jobs overseas," Gephardt declared.

May 15, 2007: Former Boston Mayor Raymond Flynn announces candidacy for President during press conference; candidate pledges to run as a moderate
BOSTON, MA - Former Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts Raymond Flynn announced he will seek the 2008 Democratic nomination for President during a press conference in Boston, MA. Flynn didn't get into specifics on policy, but did say balancing the federal budget would be a priority of his if elected President. "There is no truly moderate voice in the Democratic Party, no one talking about working with members of both parties to balance the budget and still do the things we need to improve education and health care. I intend to give voters that voice and that choice," Flynn declared.

BushKerry04

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 12:32:54 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2020, 12:41:06 AM by BushKerry04 »

May 20, 2007 - Jim Turner announces candidacy for President; Former Texas Congressman criticizes leading Democratic candidates on health care, taxes during CBS interview
WASHINGTON, DC - Former Congressman Jim Turner of Texas announced his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic Nomination for President during an interview on CBS News, arguing only a moderate can win a general election while criticizing three of the four leading Democratic candidates for President. "Democrats should absolutely be the party of education, health care, and the enviornment. But we should also be the party of balanced budgets. Unfortunately, Al Gore, Bill Bradley, and Howard Dean are talking about policies that will lead to more deficits and higher taxes on American families and businesses, it's just not a winning message in my opinion," Turner declared. Turner's campaign will be headquartered in Washington D.C. and run by former congressional staffers of his.

May 25, 2007: Mitt Romney announces endorsements, national campaign co-chairs
BOSTON, MA - Republican Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney announced the endorsements of several current and former Governors, United States Senators, members of Congress, presidential cabinet officials, and business leaders. Romney’s campaign also announced that Former Governor of New Hampshire Steve Merrill, Former Governor of Michigan John Engler, and Businesswoman Meg Whitman will serve as his national campaign co-chairs. Those endorsing Romney for President include:

James Inholfe of Oklahoma
Susan Collins of Maine
Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
John Thune of South Dakota

Jodi Rell of Connecticut
Jane Swift of Massachusetts
Steve Merrill of New Hampshire
Tom Kean of New Jersey
Christie Todd Whitman of New Jersey
John Engler of Michigan
Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
Jim Gibbons of Nevada
Linda Lingle of Hiawaii
Robert Ehrlich of Maryland  
Frank Keating of Oklahoma
Jim Geringer of Wyoming

Current and former members of Congress:
Christopher Shays of Connecticut
Rob Simmons of Connecticut
Nancy Johnson of Connecticut
Michael Castle of Delaware
Rodney Frelinghuysen of New Jersey
Jeb Bradley of New Hampshire
Jon Porter of Nevada
David Camp of Michigan
Pete Hoekstra of Michigan
Candice Miller of Michigan
Deborah Pryce of Ohio

Others:
Former U.S. Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham
Former U.S. Secretary of Commerce Donald Evans
Former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Louis Wade Sullivan
Businesswoman Meg Whitman
Businessman James A. Skinner
Domino Pizza Founder Tom Monaghan

June 1, 2007: Lieberman not ready to endorse in presidential race; offers praise for Bayh, Bradley, and Frist, won't back Dean
WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview on CNN, 2000 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman declined to endorse his 2000 running-mate, Former Vice President Al Gore, for the 2008 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Gore endorsed Howard Dean for President over Lieberman during Lieberman's 2004 presidential campaign. "I respect Al Gore, he's a friend of mine. But I am not ready to endorse a candidate in this primary," Lieberman declared. Lieberman offered praise for Democratic Presidential Hopefuls Evan Bayh and Bill Bradley, as well as Republican candidate Bill Frist. "I really like the Senators, current and former, in this primary on both sides of the aisle. Evan Bayh and Bill Bradley, who I know well, are ideologically different from one another, but both have worked well with members of both parties. Both are thoughtful and hard working. Bill Frist on the Republican side is an extremely passionate person who cares about the American people," Lieberman declared. "I will add that while I like Howard Dean as a person, I won't support him in the primaries. I think Democrats need an electable moderate and Howard, he's a good guy but he is no moderate," he added.
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »

Current Democratic Field (15)

• Fmr. Ambassador Raymond Flynn (D-MA)
  • Fmr. Congressman Dick Gephardt (D-MO)
  • Fmr. Congressman Jim Turner (D-TX)

• Fmr. House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)
BushKerry04

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 11:04:36 PM »

Current Democratic Field (15)

• Fmr. Ambassador Raymond Flynn (D-MA)
  • Fmr. Congressman Dick Gephardt (D-MO)
  • Fmr. Congressman Jim Turner (D-TX)

• Fmr. House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)

Thank you!

June 5, 2007: Clark puts forth domestic policy agenda during South Carolina speech
CHARLESTON, SC - During a speech to a local Chamber of Commerce in Charleston, South Carolina, Democratic Presidential Candidate Wesley Clark made a series of domestic policy proposals which he says are his top priorities if elected President. Clark's says if elected, he will:

1. Revive economic growth:
A. Eliminate the federal income tax for single filers earning up to $35,000 and joint filers earning up to $45,000 per year.
B. Reduce income taxes for those earning up to $100,000 by 30% over three years.
C. Reduce taxes on businesses earning up to $1 million by 20% over three years.
D. Double the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) program.
E. Establish new tax credits for creating jobs in the green energy sector.
F.  Establish federal loan guarantees and tax incentives for those starting or expanding a business in a community with median income 20% or more below the federal average.
G. Raise the federal minimum wage to $12 per hour in three years.
H. Invest $300 billion in infrastructure over the next decade.

2. Promote Fairness:
A. Make paid medical leave universal.
B. More strictly enforce the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and pass the Paycheck Fairness Act.
C. Pass criminal justice reform.
D. Pass the Equal Rights Amendment.

3. Improve education:
A. Double funding for community colleges and vocational schools.
B. Increase funding for college pell grants by 1% per year.
C. Increase funding for special needs classrooms and increase teacher’s salaries at schools receiving federal funds by 2% per year.
D. Establish grants and tax incentives to encourage distance learning and a broader array of programs to help workers obtain new skills free of charge.
E. Establish a $10 billion fund, funded through federal excise taxes, to award grants to schools looking to upgrade technology.   

4. Reform health care:
A. Enact medicaid expansion for those earning up to $40,000 per year and help partially subsidize insurance for those earning up to $85,000 by working with private insurers to offer basic plans that cost 10% or more below current market value.
B. Ban health insurance companies from denying coverage to those with preexisting conditions.
C. Increase funding for R&D tax credits, grants for health care research, and the National Institutes of Health by $30 billion.
D. Establish a $2,500 per year gym membership tax deduction for those earning less than $150,000 per year.
E. Establish new scholarships for those seeking to enter into the medical field.

5. Restore fiscal responsibility:
A. Align capital gains tax rates with individual income tax rates.
B. Reverse tax cuts for those earning above $150,000.
C. Close corporate tax loopholes.
D. Increase the medical device tax by 10% over three years.
E. Use 30% of all new revenue from economic growth to reduce the deficit and debt.

June 7, 2007: Progressive members of Congress, Former Secretary of Labor, others endorse Bradley for President; Bradley campaign announces national campaign co-chairs
MANCHESTER, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Bradley announced that Jon Corzine, Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich, Congressman Jerry Nadler of New York, Congresswoman Barbara Lee of California, Congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia, New Jersey's entire Democratic congressional delegation, Film Director Michael Moore, and Actress Cynthia Nixon are endorsing Bradley for President. The campaign also announced that Reich and Lee will serve as national campaign co-chairs for Bradley.

June 10, 2007: Survey: Gore maintains lead in Democratic primary as Frist begins to break away from the field nationally, in Iowa; Clark, Gramm surging in South Carolina
WASHINGTON, DC - A new WSJ/NBC survey finds that Former Vice President Al Gore remains the front-runner for the 2008 Democratic nomination for President. The poll finds that 30% of Democrats nationally support Gore for President, which is unchanged from the May 2007 WSJ/NBC survey. Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, who was at 15% in the May survey, has moved up to 17%. Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean, Retired General Wesley Clark, and John Kerry are in a three-way tie for third, each has 7% support from Democratic primary voters. Former House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt has 4% support, while other candidates are at 2% or less. In Iowa, Gore continues to lead Bradley and Dean by a similar margin as he did in May; he has 27% support, followed by 15% for Bradley and 9% for Dean. In New Hampshire, Gore maintains a lead over Bradley and Dean; 25%-15%-12% respectively. The biggest change on the Democratic side has occurred in South Carolina. In May, Gore led in South Carolina with 29%, with Clark in second with 17%. The new survey finds Gore with 27% support, followed by Clark with 24%. On the Republican side, after months of a close race between Former U.S. Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist, Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, and Former U.S. Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, Frist seems to have gained momentum nationally and in Iowa. Nationally, Frist leads the field of candidates with 23%, well ahead of Giuliani with 14%, Gramm with 12%, Former Vice President Dan Quayle, Former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney, and Kay Bailey Hutchison tied at 5% each. All other candidates are at 2% or less. Frist also enjoys a commanding lead in Iowa, where he leads Gramm and Giuliani 20%-10%-8% respectively. In New Hampshire, Frist leads with 17%, followed by Giuliani at 10%, Gramm and Romney at 8%, Quayle and Hutchison at 7%, and Former Governor of New York George Pataki at 3%. All other candidates are at 2% or less. In South Carolina, after a two way tie between Frist and Gramm in May, Gramm now leads the GOP field with 18%, followed by Frist at 15% and Giuliani at 10%.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »

It was always, Obama, Clinton or Edward's who was the populist appealing candidate from the South
BushKerry04

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:31 PM »

June 12, 2007: Bill Bradley calls for universal health care coverage for middle and lower income Americans, sweeping campaign finance reform during New Hampshire speech
MANCHESTER, NH - Democratic Presidential Candidate Bill Bradley called for expanding health insurance coverage, campaign finance reform, and tax reform during a policy speech to supports in New Hampshire. Bradley's health care plan would guarantee every American earning less than $100,000 free health insurance, and it would require private insurers to charge no more than 10% greater than medicare in order to receive federal subsidies to cover every American. The Former U.S. Senator from New Jersey also called for public financing of all federal elections, requiring the disclosure of all campaign contributions regardless of amount, and increasing the frequency of FEC reports. To pay for his health care plan and other policy proposals, Bradley proposed a 15% increase in capital gains taxes above $1 million, raising the top income tax rate from 39% to 45%, closing most corporate tax loopholes, increasing the federal gasoline tax by 5 cents per gallon, and establishing a 10% national sales tax on all new goods and services above $1,000.

June 15, 2007: Romney puts forth domestic policy agenda during New Hampshire Speech
MANCHESTER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Mitt Romney put forth a five point economic plan during a speech to supporters in New Hampshire. The Romney plan includes the following:

1. Tax Reform: Romney's tax plan calls for lowering individual income tax rates by 25% across-the-board by the year 2012, reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 25%, and reducing the number of corporate tax loopholes. He also called for eliminating taxes on savings and lowering capital gains tax rates by 15% for capital gains up to $2 million.  
2. Spending Reform: Romney endorsed passage of the Penny Plan to reduce federal spending and said he'd veto any budget that increases domestic spending by above the rate of inflation.
3. Regulatory Reform: Romney called for allowing states to have greater control over occupational licensing requirements in some industries and called for a freeze on new federal business regulations.  
4. Health Care Reform: Romney said he supports block-granting medicaid funding to states, allowing people to buy insurance across state lines, and increasing tax advantages of health care savings accounts.
5. Entitlement Reform: Romney called for means-testing social security and medicare, raising the social security retirement age by three years over a five year period, and giving senior citizens the option of buying private insurance with medicare dollars.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies