Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:33:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating  (Read 6118 times)
Galactic Overlord

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 09:10:58 PM »

I can easily see Nagin and Blanco, but Landrieu has been good to the state.  She's not some pacifist libertine.  I can only hope that white Louisianans see that she has their (and black people's, which are similar to the theirs more than they'd like to believe) interests in mind.  See has pretty respectable numbers too.  Of course, it's better those tax cuts go to white athiests/pretend Evangelicals in Kennebunckport and Boston, rather than blacks AND whites in the South.  Anyway, I'll make it clear that I'm not one of the loons that thinks the hurricane was created by Bush, but the LEADERS (which are those in the EXECUTIVE BRANCH as we are apt to forget)--Nagin, Blanco, and Bush--were reactive, rather than proactive in their approach to natural disasters.  Whether it was racially motivated, we'll never know definitvely.  To me, that argument is not necessary (like the one about how we got into Iraq); rather we need to begin rebuilding the entire Mississippi Delta--Mary Landrieu has some part, I suppose, but it is up to the local, state, and federal executive branches to make sure appropriations are disbursed appropriately and that necessary action is executed (hence, the word "executive") properly.  But I can see how people like John Breaux, Mary Landrieu, Mark Warner, Jimmy Carter, and Tim Kaine would scare the daylights out of trickle-downers.  They break all the stereotypes, and thus are prime targets among Republican "leadership".  I'm not saying Landrieu will win (Reps. will probably be able to pull a Cleland on her), but she doesn't deserve the same blame that is given to those elected to executive branches.  The same goes for Vitter, to be honest/fair.

Landrieu has always had significant problems in reaching many Louisiana voters.  Many Catholics, of which Louisiana has many and who have been typically Democrat, don't like her because she's pro-choice.  The Protestant Northern part of the state votes against Democrats mostly in federal elections (except for the city of Shreveport at times).  Landrieu squeaked by in 1996 even when Clinton was carrying the state by a strong margin and managed a 52%-48% win in 2002, incredibly weak for a LA incumbent and only with heavy turnout in N.O. and much of LA's other urban areas, and sub-par performance for the Republican candidate in places like Jefferson Parish. 

The other problem for Landrieu is that 2008 is a presidential election year, and of all Democrats that might run, she must hope that Hillary is not it.  The negative coattails would be too much, especially with about half of New Orleans' population gone. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 12:24:15 AM »

Well Blanco made it official today that she will be running for re-election in 2007. Anyone think she'll win?
I'll go help her out if there's not a good race here in MS in '07.
RBH

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 12:54:40 AM »

Well Blanco made it official today that she will be running for re-election in 2007. Anyone think she'll win?

Somebody needs to wake her up and tell her that she doesn't have much of a chance of winning right now.

2007 is different, because the term limits will be in effect for the state legislature.

In other words.. Unpopular Governor = Republicans take Louisiana's legislature in 2007.

The fact is that I hope Blanco gets turfed in the first round. I mean "turfed" as in "eliminated", so another Democrat can go to the second round.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »

Landrieu has always had significant problems in reaching many Louisiana voters.  Many Catholics, of which Louisiana has many and who have been typically Democrat, don't like her because she's pro-choice.  The Protestant Northern part of the state votes against Democrats mostly in federal elections (except for the city of Shreveport at times).  Landrieu squeaked by in 1996 even when Clinton was carrying the state by a strong margin and managed a 52%-48% win in 2002, incredibly weak for a LA incumbent and only with heavy turnout in N.O. and much of LA's other urban areas, and sub-par performance for the Republican candidate in places like Jefferson Parish. 

The other problem for Landrieu is that 2008 is a presidential election year, and of all Democrats that might run, she must hope that Hillary is not it.  The negative coattails would be too much, especially with about half of New Orleans' population gone. 

What if there is a Warner/Lincoln ticket?  I would expect a 51-49 victory for her (60-40 for Allen at the Pres. level).  I think she could squeak through  with this ticket.  ANY other ticket, I say she loses.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »

What if there is a Warner/Lincoln ticket?  I would expect a 51-49 victory for her (60-40 for Allen at the Pres. level).  I think she could squeak through  with this ticket.  ANY other ticket, I say she loses.

I think its should be pointed out that while turnout in NO was ok, at the same time it didn’t favour Landrieu nearly as strongly as it might have as the GOP’s candidate came from the area.

On top of that Landrieu’s approvals are pretty good considering she lost a big chunk of her natural base with Katrina, at the same time Vitter’s approvals have been saved from mediocrity by Katrina… it would appear that her very high profile response to Katrina has secured her position for the time being in the new political geography of the state.

Certainly a Hillary or Feingold (oddly I see Hillary as more divisive) candidacy would probably mean huge negative coattails for Landrieu, but a Warner or Bayh ticket would probably only help her… she stands to win another close election in my estimation but a lot depends on how hard she works the state between now and then and who the Democrats nominate. 

Tarheel’s right though a Warner/Lincoln ticket would be exceedingly strong, reinforces Warner’s appeal and makes up for his lack of legislative and general political experience… what more it includes a credible, competitive woman on a major party ticket Smiley         

tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »

I'd gladly sign a recall of this incompetent.

Then try to get Breaux to run, and if he doesn't, watch Jindal win.

Breaux would be great.  If not him, maybe Mary Landrieu's brother.  They also need a new mayor.  Though I think upcoming elections are going to be pretty nasty for Dems.  The white vote will probably fall below 15% for Democrats, while African-Americans will probably only constitute 25% of the population and even less of the electorate.  If Blanco thinks she can (or deserves) to get re-elected, she needs to be hospitalized.

Mitch Landrieu could also run for Mayor of New Orleans

Oh yeah, that would be nasty too.

Mitch Landrieu for Gov., Moon Landrieu for NO Myr.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies