Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:14:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Recall La. Gov. Kathleen Blanco Petition Circulating  (Read 6117 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:29:24 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181239,00.html

There was talk about it, now it looks like it's happening. Someone has filed a request to impeach Blanco. They have 180 days to get about 900,000 signatures before a recall election can take place.
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »

good luck with that mission. Ha.

But then again, the list of candidates to replace Blanco would be slightly longer than the usual Governor's ballot.

Well.. then again, what happens if they succeed? the same process as California?
RBH

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 05:52:01 PM »

It was probably on the Internet
RBH

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:07:47 PM »

Anyways, the Democrats chances of keeping the Governor's office in Louisiana will increase if Blanco refuses to run for re-election.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 08:00:41 PM »

while blanco is no doubt a horrible, horrible, horrible person, the republican habit of 'recalls' is undemocratic and frankly, sickening.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »

I'd gladly sign a recall of this incompetent.

Then try to get Breaux to run, and if he doesn't, watch Jindal win.
RBH

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »

while blanco is no doubt a horrible, horrible, horrible person, the republican habit of 'recalls' is undemocratic and frankly, sickening.

Technically, it's pretty democratic.

Although, in the mob rule sense.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:21:05 PM »

Agreed.  Incompetence is not a valid grounds for recall; only malfesance is.  The people elected her in 2003 for a 4-year term.  They should have been prepared to deal with having her in office for 4 years.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »

Breaux would be great.  If not him, maybe Mary Landrieu's brother.  They also need a new mayor.  Though I think upcoming elections are going to be pretty nasty for Dems.  The white vote will probably fall below 15% for Democrats, while African-Americans will probably only constitute 25% of the population and even less of the electorate.  If Blanco thinks she can (or deserves) to get re-elected, she needs to be hospitalized.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 12:25:21 PM »

Agreed.  Incompetence is not a valid grounds for recall; only malfesance is.  The people elected her in 2003 for a 4-year term.  They should have been prepared to deal with having her in office for 4 years.
That depends on the recall law. Might I point out that the law was in place when she was elected.
RBH

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 03:27:35 PM »

Breaux would be great.  If not him, maybe Mary Landrieu's brother.  They also need a new mayor.  Though I think upcoming elections are going to be pretty nasty for Dems.  The white vote will probably fall below 15% for Democrats, while African-Americans will probably only constitute 25% of the population and even less of the electorate.  If Blanco thinks she can (or deserves) to get re-elected, she needs to be hospitalized.

Mitch Landrieu could also run for Mayor of New Orleans

Oh yeah, that would be nasty too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »

Wow, an uncharismatic conservative Democrat. Lets replace her with some stupid actor.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 07:16:16 PM »

Wow, an uncharismatic conservative Democrat. Lets replace her with some stupid actor.

Who said anything about stupid actors?  Do you pride yourself on your irrelevance?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 07:57:38 PM »

Who said anything about stupid actors?  Do you pride yourself on your irrelevance?

Oh, I thought jfern's comment rather comical.  That's a good summary of the situation in CA in 03.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »

True, but this is a topic about Louisiana in 06.  Unless he's implying that the line-up of potential Republican replacements includes a 'stupid actor', then I don't see how his comment has anything to do with this.

Edit: he also missed out 'incompetent' from his critique of the 'uncharismatic conservative Democrats' of both states.
RBH

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 08:03:57 PM »

John Goodman for Louisiana!
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 08:35:55 PM »

we almost hit John Goodman with our car when we went to New Orleans 4 years ago....much fatter in person.
RBH

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 09:01:10 PM »

John Goodman is actually a Democrat, or enough of one to give money to Mary Landrieu and Charlie Melancon.

I can't actually navigate the State Campaign Finanace site well enough to find out which state politicians Goodman gave to
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 06:28:47 AM »

BRITNEY FOR GOVERNOR!
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 11:22:13 PM »

You need a Democrat that can pull in big numbers from Cajun Country and any other rural area they can find.  From what I've read, New Orleans is down 70% of its original population, and probably is only 35% black.  On the other hand, neighboring Jefferson Parish, an area consisting of large suburbs, still has most of its population, and is a largely Republican voting area.  So the Democrats have lost a considerable amount of votes post-Katrina.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »

You need a Democrat that can pull in big numbers from Cajun Country and any other rural area they can find.  From what I've read, New Orleans is down 70% of its original population, and probably is only 35% black.  On the other hand, neighboring Jefferson Parish, an area consisting of large suburbs, still has most of its population, and is a largely Republican voting area.  So the Democrats have lost a considerable amount of votes post-Katrina.

So basically you power hungry Republicans want to take advantage of the fact that you screwed over Democrats in LA?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 11:45:31 PM »

Yeah. First we orchestrated the hurricanes to wipe out the Democrats in New Orleans and make Governor Blanco look bad, now it's time to recall Blanco and vote Landrieu out in '08.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2006, 05:22:04 AM »

John Goodman for Louisiana!

He did play Huey Long once Cheesy
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »

Yeah. First we orchestrated the hurricanes to wipe out the Democrats in New Orleans and make Governor Blanco look bad, now it's time to recall Blanco and vote Landrieu out in '08.
I can easily see Nagin and Blanco, but Landrieu has been good to the state.  She's not some pacifist libertine.  I can only hope that white Louisianans see that she has their (and black people's, which are similar to the theirs more than they'd like to believe) interests in mind.  See has pretty respectable numbers too.  Of course, it's better those tax cuts go to white athiests/pretend Evangelicals in Kennebunckport and Boston, rather than blacks AND whites in the South.  Anyway, I'll make it clear that I'm not one of the loons that thinks the hurricane was created by Bush, but the LEADERS (which are those in the EXECUTIVE BRANCH as we are apt to forget)--Nagin, Blanco, and Bush--were reactive, rather than proactive in their approach to natural disasters.  Whether it was racially motivated, we'll never know definitvely.  To me, that argument is not necessary (like the one about how we got into Iraq); rather we need to begin rebuilding the entire Mississippi Delta--Mary Landrieu has some part, I suppose, but it is up to the local, state, and federal executive branches to make sure appropriations are disbursed appropriately and that necessary action is executed (hence, the word "executive") properly.  But I can see how people like John Breaux, Mary Landrieu, Mark Warner, Jimmy Carter, and Tim Kaine would scare the daylights out of trickle-downers.  They break all the stereotypes, and thus are prime targets among Republican "leadership".  I'm not saying Landrieu will win (Reps. will probably be able to pull a Cleland on her), but she doesn't deserve the same blame that is given to those elected to executive branches.  The same goes for Vitter, to be honest/fair.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 07:12:39 PM »

Well Blanco made it official today that she will be running for re-election in 2007. Anyone think she'll win?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies